It’s-a-me! Mariosamusmegalink

By Craig Pearson on January 23rd, 2012 at 11:22 am.

You now have the Mario music in your head.
If you’re going to infringe on copyright, you might infringe on all the copyrights at the same time. That way you can keep track of who’s taking you to court. Mario Crossover 2.0, the sequel to the already astonishingly rippy-offy original, is a remarkably slick mash-up of all the best Nintendo games. And Zelda.

Crossover 2.0 takes the basic concept of allowing characters like Samus (from Metroid), or Link (from Meh-lda) to run around Mario levels and runs in crazy directions with it. Mega-Man tossing blocks at Koopas, Samus blasting them with her arm gun thing, Link boring them to death with his boring-ness. I love the idea of in-game power-ups upgrading the graphics, taking the player into a modern era with every mushroom, and sliding back through history when damage is taken. And Ryu fighting Bowser is just precious. Feast your eyes on the entire roster in this demonstrative video-gram from a bygone era.

It’s expected to arrive in the first months of 2012.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Meat Circus says:

Your mum is in another castle.

2. Tams80 says:

*might as well
    That was bad enough to not be relegated to an email.

Some of the Mario music, especially the older stuff will give me nightmares. It also makes me cringe. The first game was brilliant fun though.

• ulix says:

Just like the (real) second (not Doki Doki Panic with a Mario skin, which was also awesome), the third, the fourth, the fifth, the sixth, and all the others?

• Frosty840 says:

People give SMB2 such a hard time for not being a “real” Mario game, but its history is much more interesting than that. It actually started out life as a prototype for, of all things, Super Mario Bros. 2, but the other SMB2 was released instead.

That prototype was developed into a full game (Doki Doki Panic), which was eventually repurposed into being… SMB2… Again…

The Wikipedia page has more details; I just think it’s a bit unfair of people to dump on SMB2 without knowing its history any deeper than “Oh, it’s just some reskin, it’s not a ‘real’ Mario game.” when it actually really was. Almost. Kind of…

• Ushao says:

So what you’re saying is… We have to go deeper?

3. noodlecake says:

Shame on the lack of comments on this article! This looks fantastic. :) I saw this on indiegames a few days ago. I had a SEGA Mega Drive so none of these characters mean anything to me. It’s nice to see something that isn’t an RTS, RPG or FPS! I’m getting quite bored of PC gaming. It would be nice to see some of the really interesting console games ported to PC, like LittleBigPlanet or Beautiful Katamari.

• brulleks says:

I was a megadrive fanatic as well, so I only really recognise the mario characters in the video.

They should make one based on Sonic levels with characters from the SEGA games. Altered Beast, Golden Axe, Double Dragon etc

Of course, they’d all get to the first looping incline and have to give up.

• Bhazor says:

@ Noodlecakes

You only had a megadrive? My condolences to your childhood.

4. paralipsis says:

I see you still haven’t gotten over that time that Link bullied you in high school.

5. kavika says:

Missing important details in the article, like:

- is it already out?
    - When will it be out?

The video says it (first quarter this year), but so should the article :)

6. ulix says:

“of all the best Nintendo games. And Zelda.”

Oh Snap!

…because… Zelda isn’t just the best, but the very best?

7. Bluerps says:

Heh. I wish they could charge money for that thing, so that I could give it to them.

8. westyfield says:

I have played none of those games.

9. Ridnarhtim says:

What’s with the Zelda hate?

10. Syra says:

What is a ‘nintendo’?

11. Hodge says:

The original one was absolutely brilliant for the thirty seconds it lasted before crashing the browser plug-in.

• Baines says:

The original was brilliant for the 30 seconds it lasted before I remembered that I don’t like Super Mario Bros. I’d rather play any of the other characters’ games than it.

12. sneetch says:

“… a remarkably slick mash-up of all the best Nintendo games. And Zelda.”

“… Link (from Meh-lda)…”

“… Link boring them to death with his boring-ness.”

Dear Sir,

whilst browsing the internet I was shocked to come across the above errors in your article. I feel it is my solumn duty, under article 42 of the Correction of Wrong People on the Internet Act (1832), to tell you: no you’re wrong, Link is cool and you’re the one who’s boring, because of that I feel fully justified in dismissing you as a hater.

I trust that you will take this rebuttal of your position into account, reflect upon it and I expect a full written apology and retraction to follow.

Yours in self-righteous indignation,
    Sneetch

13. Jody Macgregor says:

Thank god there are other people who hate Zelda.

• Bluerps says:

There are always other people who hate something too, for everything. I mean even kittens and rainbows are hated by multiple people.

• Ridnarhtim says:

Kittens and rainbows I can understand. But ZELDA? Really? Were you born without a soul, or the capacity to feel love and joy?

• Vagrant says:

hallelujah! I thought I was the only one who could spot a terribly designed game!

Also, the era travel mechanic is totally infringing on my game idea. Boo hoo.

• jon_hill987 says:

@Vagrant: You have clearly not played many Zelda games, to My knowledge OoT was the only one with time travel. Others have had [light world/dark world] or even [overworld/shrunk into the flowerbed world] but many don’t have anything of the sort.

14. Dominic White says:

This has nothing on Mushroom Kingdom Fusion, which is also gearing up for a major new release. Mario fighting Zerg with Megaman powerups and guns from Quake? Yep.

This is a trailer for the previous version. The new one should have another full games worth of content, give or take.

• deadly.by.design says:

Yeah, you beat me to the link…

MKF is great when it works. Even if I tend to install it, play a bit for nostalgia and then never touch it again, a new version would be neat.

• Dominic White says:

Version 0.4 was largely just a show-and-tell. Apparently with 0.5, they’ve focused on making it a more coherent game and optimizing it.

• Megadyptes says:

I tried Mushroom Kingdom Fusion out ages ago and it didn’t feel all that great to me, tons of content but it didn’t all meld well together. Too many cooks etc.

Super Mario Bros Crossover was pure brilliance, though, simple and every character just fit in remarkably well. I’m looking forward to the sequel.

Zelda is awesome, haters gonna hate.

15. Josh W says:

For some reason my favourite bit was when it ripped off the “new challenger” thing, perfect fit of course.

16. Frosty840 says:

Craig, are you hating on the top-down Zelda games or just the modern snore-fests? I’ll admit the newer games are a bit on the crap side (and any of you who try to defend the endless godawful trudging back and forth over the empty plains and oceans of Hyrule are wrong), but the SNES Zelda game and the various versions on the various Gameboys were all rather lovely.

• Craig Pearson says:

TBH, it’s more that I’m keeping a Kieron RPS tradition alive. I am kinda meh on them, though.

• Cunzy1 1 says:

I just don’t care enough about fairies/bombs and boomerangs. It isn’t that I haven’t tried but I’m just not a fan of LoZ either.

17. Nick Ahlhelm says:

I think it would be pretty hard to kill it as its a free on the internet parody. I suppose it wouldn’t stop companies from trying, but I’m guessing their new release partner is all about ignoring cease & desist orders.

18. jonfitt says:

It’s interesting to note how similar all of these characters (most of whom I have never seen) are, and how they seem to have changed little through several generations of games. Zelda is still living the same groundhog day nightmare.
    The trick seems to be “get ‘em when they’re young, and then ride the wave of nostalgia”. Nintendo clearly have the long-game mapped out better than say, Activision.

19. Burning Man says:

“You now have the Mario music in your head”

F**K. IT IS NOW IN MY HEAD.

Why is it not stopping? Also why do I know it so well? I’ve barely played any Mario. *scared*

20. nrvsNRG says:

THIS IS JUST AWESOME

21. Synesthesia says:

I will not stand for this communist piracy that is destroying freedom.

• Raiyan 1.0 says:

The creator of this monstrosity is probably a foreign Japanese thief stealing American property.

22. Beelzebud says:

My inner child is now freaking out, dying to play that! It’s like a mash-up of my childhood.

23. RC-1290'Dreadnought' says:

It might not be original IP, but at least it is very original copyright infringement.

24. MellowKrogoth says:

This awesomeness is proof that current copyright law is deeply wrong. Doing this kind of non-commercial fan work should be allowed within a few years of a franchise being created. Instead, any of the copyright holders of the games in question here could very easily shut down Super Mario Crossover, if they didn’t feel it was free advertising.

Meanwhile, Lord of the Rings fan projects get shut down on a regular basis while Tolkien has been dead and buried for decades.

Meanwhile, idiots sit on their “IP” doing either noting at all, or vastly inferior projects to what the fans come up with.

Wasn’t copyright supposed to encourage the creation of more, better works?

• ulix says:

Luckily, Nintendo rarely, if ever, shuts down projects like this one. The only (of hundreds of popular) fan-made games that I know of, that Nintendo did ideed C&D, was that Pokemon Online thing.

Now of course there’s characters in this from Konami, Capcom & Tecmo (I don’t know where the tank is from), so we’ll see.

• MellowKrogoth says:

Yeah, Nintendo seem to be pretty cool with that and the emulation scene, fortunately. But I’m still disturbed by the fact it all hangs on their whims.

25. Thants says:

Wait, was that blaster master? Nice!