Launchman Looks Leaping Lovely

By Craig Pearson on January 23rd, 2012 at 1:01 pm.

Everybody launch now!
The endearingly titled Here Comes Launchman is the retro equivalent of a cat rolling about at your feet as it’s purring and looking up at you with it’s big, wet eyes: the trailer makes me want to pick it up and snuggle it.

It has everything: a simple colour palate, chiptunes, improbably surreal level design that only ever existed in the world of 8-bit platformers. Very catlike, indeed. I’d almost suggest it was trying to hard, but that would be mean and I can’t even begin to be negative about it. Instead I’ll be factual and then excited: it’s a physics-based platformer, where you guide the little guy around Puzzle Planet. Time to excitedly gesture towards the video they’ve just released, showing the complicated mouse-flinging you’ll have to achieve to toss the little chappy through those levels. Oh look, there it is there!

It’ll be out this year. I know what I’ll be doing in one of the 343 days left this year.

, , , .

1. salejemaster says:

I DEMAND, that you first say that the game is not out yet so that I can stop reading, this way I was already clicking to play the damn game when read the last line of the article ._____.

• Zach Hinchy says:

Hi! I’m Zach Hinchy, one of the creators of this game. If it’s any consolation to you, a demo (this footage was taken from its most recent build) should be available to the public in the next few weeks!

Keep track of that game page, it’ll have the demo as soon as it’s available.

• Spyke says:

Hey, if you’re still interested in the game, a demo was just released on their site.

2. kukouri says:

Surprised no mention of VVVVVV, reminds me of a more complex version of it with cleaner graphics. Looks fun.

• Meat Circus says:

Its aesthetic clearly owes more than a little to VVVVVV which is BLOODY MARVELLOUS.

• Zach Hinchy says:

The aesthetic style of the game is monochrome lineart, not Commodore-y pixels, and the games control and play completely differently. It really isn’t anything like VVVVVV, I promise you that. Don’t trust me though, just try the demo when it comes out.

However, we love that game and Terry Cavanagh so any comparison to it is a favorable one in my book!

3. BoZo says:

Reminds me about N for some reason…

4. Grover says:

Everyone has a right to his/her own opinion. Mine is that the retro platformer fad has gotten out of control and these indie devs should try to make something new for once.

• SkittleDiddler says:

I concur 100%. I thought I was the only person on the planet who was completely tired of the whole retro fad. There’s so much more trash than treasure.

5. CaspianRoach says:

How many platformers a year do we really need?

• Brun says:

This. While it’s nice to see indie development doing so well, I worry about them oversaturating the market with platformers. That, and platformers just don’t appeal to me at all.

• Synesthesia says:

is there some sort of mathematical function that makes every thread on the entire internet have some sort of complaint? I am betting you, there will be one in the column they announce a cancer cure.

• Skabooga says:

As many as the market will allow.

• Josh W says:

1-(1-Probability of disapproval)^millions

6. Bfox says:

Wow, the visual style of the game really takes me back to my black & white Macintosh SE days

7. huw says:

Ooh, this looks rather lovely. The more I watched of that video, the more I wanted to play it. RPS, please alert us when it’s released!