A Tiny Bit Biggerer: Tiny And Big

By Craig Pearson on January 24th, 2012 at 6:02 pm.

Everybody cut, everybody cut!
One more time around the Tiny & Big: Up That Mountain demo for us all! Whee! Black Pants Game Studio have updated the alpha once again. The world slicing content is the same, but there’s been an increase in attractiveness. I’m shallow enough to pick it up and play for that reason.

That and I really, really like it. I like it enough that I tried to get Valve to stick it into Portal 2, but they weren’t looking for any more indie influence at the time I shoved it under their noses. I did that because the world-slicing beam and grappling hook combination is particularly winning. I like the fact that you’re tearing down ancient looking structures, destroying impressive, important, huge ruins for something as ridiculous as a pair of underwear. The whimsy is delightful, even if the physics driven puzzles are still a bit loose. But that just means you have options, and I prefer that over a definite solution.

The game’s homepage is worryingly quiet, so I’d assumed it might have fallen into a big hole. Glad to see it’s still around. They seem to be focussing on updating everything but their own site. Observe this level demonstation of the full game that’s not linked anywhere.

Current release plans are for early 2012.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. wodin says:

Looks lovely…though I’m one of the few that hated Portal and Portal 2.

I only like have my brain taxed playing wargames.

• misterT0AST says:

Does this mean that you tried Portal, hated it, and then played Portal 2 anyway?

• wodin says:

Actually I lied..I only played 1 but it was enough for me to know I’d hate Portal 2 cos I’m like that.

• cafe says:

@Wodin
      Play it again, don’t rage quit because you can’t solve the first room. Listen to the evil A.I. narrator and I’m sure you will love it too! Just give it another try :)

2. jonfitt says:

I watched another demo where all actions were accompanied with giant (sometimes view-obstructing) comic sound effect words.
    ZOK!
    GRAPPLE!
    It’s a cute idea (and I didn’t mind it in XIII) but it looks really distracting. I wonder if it can be turned off?

3. BlackKraken says:

I wish I could play this, but the title being my girlfriends pet name for my testicles kind of freaks me out too much.

• wodin says:

Wot Up that Mountain?

Actually thats quite weird as my girlfriend used to call mine the same as the game below this one..

Infact many of the headlines today could actually be nicknames..Smashing Atoms (bragging rights if called Atom Smasher)…etc etc.

• LennyLeonardo says:

@ BlackKraken: I have a similar problem with Sam and Max. Also a somewhat related problem with Day of the Tentacle…

• Rich says:

Did you mean “Tiny and Big”?

You know, if they’re significantly different sizes you should probably go and see a doctor.

4. michailnenkov says:

the last alpha, if I remember correctly, used to be a little less cell-shady and less contoured and looked better, imho. And the impact effect of heavy things falling was very good, strong and meaty, I could feel it in my bones… now it feels subdued….. not sure if I like the way things are moving. But it’s still awesome.

5. Urthman says:

I’m already tired of the underpants joke.

I guess I’m saying … [REMOVES SUNGLASSES] … the underpants are wearing thin.

6. GallonOfAlan says:

Put the sunglasses back on. Thanks.