Carrier Command Release Date-Ish, Plus Pics

By Craig Pearson on January 25th, 2012 at 4:49 pm.

Load the release cannon and fire vaguely in that direction!

Hello! I bring good news. The release date aiming cone for Bohemia Interactive’s sci-fi action strategy game Carrier Command: Gaea Mission has narrowed. The bad news is it’s only as specific as Q2 2012. Now I’ve been doing this job since 2000, and not once have I ever looked up what release date quarters mean. This chart did not help. So instead of explaining it further, I’ll have to distract you with some new screenshots of the game below.

Cast your gaze!

, , , .

1. Wild_Marker says:

You know, telling consumers your release estimate in a calendar that they don’t handle… might as well tell us the date in Klingon or something…

2. Premium User Badge Mungrul says:

OMG! Big Trak!

3. dontnormally says:

Planetfield? Battleside?

4. udat says:

Doesn’t it just mean “by the end of June”?

Anyway, I am curious and cautiously optimistic about this game as I loved Carrier Command, the conceptually similar Hostile Waters was great fun, and Bohemia make interesting games.

Those don’t look like Mantas though :(

5. Prime says:

One of my Most Anticipated! I’ve blogged about it and everything. Go, Carrier Command! *waves flag*

6. ZamFear says:

You know what this combat armour needs? Big blinkenlights to alert the enemy to our presence and give them something to aim for!

7. Signum_01 says:

Soldiers of the future must have glowing bits on their person, presumably to make it easier for people to shoot at them in the dark?

• Wild_Marker says:

Well duh, otherwise they would still be in the “dark ages”.

Besides, lights in the future are stealthy, as proved by Sam Fisher’s head thingy that noone ever seems to spot.

• swiftshlock says:

Don’t be too hard on the poor Tron guys. They were so happy to get a new job after the dotcom bubble burst…

8. Kollega says:

Some letters underneath the fiscal year chart spell out “Jason”. Heh.

9. Premium User Badge The Sombrero Kid says:

Q2 2012 means spring, if they said Q2 of the 2012 financial year it could be anywhere between now and spring 2013 (EAs 2012 financial year for example is april 2013 to april 2014 because they think jesus was born a year late or something)

• dsi1 says:

I can see being a few months off, but come on a whole year!?

• D says:

They have to do it that way, to make it look like NBA 2013 actually came out that year, or something.

10. Caleb367 says:

Holy heck I’m giggling like a schoolgirl.

11. vecordae says:

The armor and vehicle design really does remind me of Mass Effect.

12. Radiant says:

ONLY since 2000?
    Wait what do you mean it’s 2012…WHERE HAS MY LIFE GONE?

13. Lev Astov says:

I’m really looking forward to this, but I have a serious problem with the way those flying vehicles appear to not be capable of flight.

I mean, the vertical thrusters are all the way at the back end of the things! What holds up the front? I’m not sure I can play a game that so blatantly disregards even the most basically reasonable design principles.

• vecordae says:

If you look at the picture immediately above you’ll notice that they have additional vertical thrusters under the winglets on either side of the fuselage.

EDIT: Nope! I was wrong. Those are missile pods or some such. Apparently what keeps these things aloft is childish fancies

• westyfield says:

They might have jets on the bottom, like an F-35. Not sure where the air intake would be, perhaps some sort of scoop underneath the nose.

• Brun says:

If you look at the picture above you can see that they have a single thruster in the forward fuselage (you can see its exhaust, which is the same graphic as the exhaust for the two rear engines).

• jon_hill987 says:

A wizard did it.

• Monkey says:

Assuming they’re flying forwards maybe airflow is keeping the front end pointing straight. But yes i find it so unbelievable i might just kill a puppy

• Brun says:

Having vertically oriented engines like that would make little sense on an aircraft that required forward motion to remain in the air. They’re clearly supposed to be analogous to modern helicopters.

• Droopy The Dog says:

In line with sticking uncovered bright lights on all thier infantry, the fuselage of that aircraft is made of balsa wood and the engine pig iron, those thrusters are actually in line with the center of gravity.

14. jonfitt says:

Look like it has cutscenes!
    If it’s anything like ArmA2, there will be a significant portion of the cast who are Czechs doing bad American accents and swearing a lot to add authenticity. :)

Dialog like: “F**k! S**t*! It’s all gone to s**t. Enemy. Man. At. 100. Metres. Let’s f**k their s**t now.”

Oh at least that’s my recollection.

• jonfitt says:

I am definitely looking forward to this btw. I find the hilariously bad BI dialog part of the charm.

15. Ergates_Antius says:

Waiter waiter, there’s a people in my Carrier Command.

16. Inglourious Badger says:

In my experience of game release estimates Q2 2012 = sometime in 2013

Also, my how pretty this looks! Got to love designed for PC graphics engines

17. neolith says:

Pleasedontscrewitup. Pleasedontscrewitup. Pleasedontscrewitup.

18. Premium User Badge Riaktion says:

Really looking forward to seeing how this turns out, I loved Carrier Command on my Amiga, and then Hostile Waters, I hope this is a good addition to the.. erm.. Off shore commanding genre

19. Droopy The Dog says:

The facial expression in the 7th picture is straight out of everyone’s first attempt at G-mod posing.

20. unfairrobot says:

Permission to “SQUEEE!”?

21. Hendar23 says:

Enemy. Plasmagunner. 200. Meters.

Oh no! Four. Is down.

22. Neurotic says:

People who know what they’re doing will buy it for a few squid from Steam; and all the uncles and aunts and parents and clueless types will grab it off a shelf for twenty. It’s win-win for the devs, and means more investment in the game which makes it a win for us too. Yay!

23. GuillaumeJ says:

The differences between my visual memory of playing a lot Carrier Command on my CPC, and the screenshots of this remake are so big than I’m not sure I can believe it’s the same game…

24. captain nemo says:

I still get a kick out of ‘Hostile Waters’ every once in a while (“My name is Ransom !”, “This is not a gun !”)

Cannot wait for this.

25. NamelessPFG says:

They’re saying it’s not vaporware? That’s reassuring. I hope this game turns out good, and hopefully a bit more polished than ArmA has a reputation for.

Also, does anyone else find the Manta redesign to look quite a lot like UT 2004′s Cicada?