Interview: Jim Rossignol On AVSEQ

By RPS on January 25th, 2012 at 11:23 am.

Things got pretty heated.

The puzzle game AVSEQ from indie developers Big Robot has recently been released. We managed to get hold of project lead, Jim Rossignol, for a world exclusive interview. Read on for details.

RPS’s Jim Rossignol: So, Jim, how long have you been a games developer?

Jim Rossignol: A what? I’m not playing your “marketing” game, Mister. I know all about journalists and their tricks. You’re owned by the system, and I want no part in it.

RPS’s Jim Rossignol: Thanks for your time.

Jim Rossignol: Thank you!

RPS’s Jim Rossignol: I think that went well. They’ll never suspect that you’re affiliated with the site in any way.

Jim Rossignol: Agreed, we covered all the relevant information, too.

RPS’s Jim Rossignol: So, off the record, is the game any good?

Jim Rossignol: It’s ok. 7/10.

RPS’s Jim Rossignol: What does it do?

Jim Rossignol: It generates sound and music as you stop atoms from falling to their destruction by linking them into chains. Stu says it is like some obscure iOS game. But I say it is WHOLLY ORIGINAL, unlike anything you will have ever experienced, ever. Originally it was a gallery piece by Tom, the programmer, we’ve just expanded it into a commercial game.

RPS’s Jim Rossignol: How high are the graphics?

Jim Rossignol: Basically we went for medium graphics. But there are some rare pixels in there, too, which we bought in from Taiwan.

RPS’s Jim Rossignol: I’ve heard those are mostly illegal.

Jim Rossignol: You have to bribe the chief technician, and then it’s fine.

RPS’s Jim Rossignol: God, if any of this stuff gets out, won’t you be in trouble?

Jim Rossignol: Maybe, but the truth is that everyone in game development uses illegal imported pixels. It’s just a given. I am getting a glimpse of the dark truth behind how games are made. And I like it!

RPS’s Jim Rossignol: What other terrible secrets have you learned?

Jim Rossignol: Well it turns out that games were originally mind-control devices developed during the Cold War, and all games have some of that “brain” code still in them. So if you suddenly feel murderous it’s usually down to traces of that turning you into a CIA-controlled killer drone.

RPS’s Jim Rossignol: I’ve heard that the ESA and UKIE spend over five million dollars a month covering up evidence that games cause violence.

Jim Rossignol: Right, they use radiowaves.

RPS’s Jim Rossignol: What violence has AVSEQ been shown to cause?

Jim Rossignol: Oh all kinds, but mostly people go haywire and set fire to things – cats, trees, zoo animals.

RPS’s Jim Rossignol: Heh, sounds awesome.

Jim Rossignol: Play for a really long time also causes a glowing red light to appear inside your eyes, like there’s an evil in you. No idea about that!

RPS’s Jim Rossignol: How much are you charging for this deathtrap?

Jim Rossignol: $5. I wanted to charge $7500, but I realise that people need distracting from the basic horror of their existence. I mean we’re all definitely going to die, quite grotesquely in some cases, and anything that can be done to get people to think about colours and pleasant noises instead of the infinite abyss of their own doom is worth doing, I would say.

RPS’s Jim Rossignol: Oh, I’ve got to head out, but I was just wondering if you had a nomination for the “Commenter We Hate The Most Of The Month” chart?

Jim Rossignol: That guy who keeps saying that RPS is a great read and why does everyone give us a hard time? Him.

RPS’s Jim Rossignol: Why does his mum give us a hard time?

, , , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. BobMoron says:

Thanks Jim! Great read.

• Cooper says:

Be careful with that kind of praise; you might send the wrong rossignol and they’ll be developing avsequal instead of working on new IP.

kregg says:

I never felt so hated ;_;

3. rustybroomhandle says:

Something about this interview sounds a little off-key… hmmm

• sneetch says:

Yeah, I can’t quite put my finger on it…

• Inglourious Badger says:

Now you mention it I’ve never seen these two Jims in the same room together…(looks at first picture)….oh no, wait, guess I was wrong. Nothing to see here

4. Prokroustis says:

Someone needs to clean their paludarium..

5. Davee says:

It’s nice with an interview that shows both sides of the coin now and then.

6. LuNatic says:

So, um, how much time exactly would be required to g, um… suffer this ‘glowing red light’ effect? I need to know for, um… scientific reasons. Yeah, scientific, lets go with that.

7. Malawi Frontier Guard says:

Videogame journalism.

8. Sp4rkR4t says:

Most. Insightful. Interview. Ever.

And nice to see that someone is actually speaking up about the illegal black-pixel market.

9. andycheese says:

Is that some sort of radio-active fish-tank on top of your chest of drawers?

• Jim Rossignol says:

It’s the home of Otis the rainbow crab. The pet that sounds like it should be in a Nintendo game, but is actually a vicious and monstrous thing that John cannot even look at without screaming.

• andycheese says:

Phew… I thought for a moment you were breeding a race of minature atomic fishmen, hell-bent on conquering the planet… as one does in one’s spare time!

• Jim Rossignol says:

My miniature atomic fishmen were laying face down in the water one Christmas morning. No idea what happened. Sad day.

• Jams O'Donnell says:

A pet crab? But where do you tie its lead?

• andycheese says:

Science is a cruel mistress!!!

• Jim Rossignol says:

You tie its lead to anything you would like slowly chewed over many hours by horrible mandibles.

• kael13 says:

Kind’ve like water erosion.. Only millions of years quicker.

• The Tupper says:

Crabs: spiders of the sea.

• ZamFear says:

Sorry, the position of “spiders of the sea” is already occupied.

• Tams80 says:

Otis? Doesn’t he belong on Short Changed, or that Gadget Show thing I hear people talk about?

• Skabooga says:

Oh, hey! I saw a rainbow crab the other day! Nasty creatures.

• Inglourious Badger says:

@Zamfear

Sea Spiders are in fact the ants of the sea, and crabs are the spiders. Don’t let the names fool you.

It’s the same with Seahorses, which are in fact sea marmosets. True story

10. bwion says:

Rail against the illegal imported pixel slave trade if you like, but if you have ever played, bought, or were aware of a game on Steam, which also uses graphics, then you are history’s greatest monster.

And why isn’t it turn-based? I don’t mean the weird puzzly game thing, I mean Jim Rossignol. What ever happened to all of the great turn-based journalists-slash-game developers of the old days?

• NathanH says:

I just had the horrible image of “journalist slash games”.

• Heliocentric says:

The some of the turn based journalists are resolving their Alpha Centuri turns. Some died crossing main roads with WeGo systems. But mostly they grinded their ‘indie’ stat and faded into obscurity.

• Grygus says:

“What ever happened to all of the great turn-based journalists-slash-game developers of the old days?”

You are seeing them with rose-colored glasses, I’m afraid. Those guys were not turn-based because of some inherent advantage of being turn-based or even a conscious design decision; they were that way due to biological limitations. Here in the future we have real-time journalist-slash-game developers, and they are better in every conceivable way. This is my opinion, which I have considered at length and so know to be objectively correct.

• Phantoon says:

Journalist slash games?

I’d play a game where Jim Rossignol attempts to woo Jim Rossignol.

Or a pigeon.

• Josh W says:

That would only encourage the growth of pigeon journalism, and they are notoriously unreliable. Dishonest even.

11. SpinalJack says:

Medium Graphics is about the right amount of graphics. Spending more time and money on loads of graphics is just a waste.

12. Nighthood says:

Does this get classed as multiple personality disorder?

• Max Ursa says:

its like Gollum and Smegal. the question is, which one is which?

• Gnoupi says:

Well, one made a game where you kindly save random atoms falling, the other is writing everyday about violence and young kids are reading it . Seems pretty clear to me.

• Tom OBedlam says:

Its more like Batman, Jim Rossignol is the real mask

13. Mr Chug says:

There’s no direct evidence linking playing AVSEQ to setting fire to cats! This kind of pseudoscience enlarges my Walker gland, and once it hits critical size it writes a scathing blog post. You have been warned.

Trees and Zoo animals, fair enough, but then they had it coming.

14. Network Crayon says:

How many Jim’s can you fit in that bedroom?

15. Nallen says:

But is it a cinematic experience?

16. Hydrogene says:

I can’t shake off the feeling that the interviewer and the interviewee knew each other before the interview, and are trying to hide their collusion. Shame!

17. Jams O'Donnell says:

Coming soon: Jim/Jim RPS slashfic.

18. Gundrea says:

Is this new games journalism?

19. sneetch says:

What the hell kind of interview is this? The screenshot clearly promises the answer to one of the most pressing questions there is, “how much graphics does it have?” and yet Jim Rossignol never asks Jim Rossignol that question! Medium is not an answer! More than likely the answer is hushed up, probably to get that sweet, sweet advertising revenue from mega-corporation Big Robot!

Conspiracy, I cry! Conspiracy!

PS fun game.

20. Ian says:

So how much graphics DOES it have? To me it looks like it has two, maybe three graphics at best.

• caddyB says:

It has a lot, but only art students can see them.

• Pobblepop says:

Yes, I would like to know this as well.

• Cooper says:

Graphics are not quantifiable phenomena

• kael13 says:

IGN reviews beg to differ. Some games have a whole 9 graphics!

• Wang Tang says:

Why, of course they are. In the first screenshot I see 5 graphics, in the second 2 and in the third 1. This makes the Graphic/Screenshot quotient gs_3 = 8/3 or roughly 2.7. For n->oo we could see a more significant number, although I’d be surprised if it deviated much.

So well, what does that mean? It’s not that graphiccy; but looking at other Indie games (with a mean gs of 2), this of course compares quite well in the graphics department.

Of course it couldn’t come nowhere near e.g. CoD, with a gs > 10 for all newer parts of the series (as explosions always account for a high gs).

• Octaeder says:

Speaking of which, how many longevities does it have?

• Skabooga says:

I’m satisfied with the information about graphics mentioned in the interview, but I was wondering if you had an idea of how many viscerals AVSEQ had?

lowprices says:

This has clearly been dumbed down for the console crowd. I bet there’s not even a button that lets you add more graphics.

Also I would like to know how many purchasable hats will be available on release?

21. pmanpman says:

The interviewer seems really in touch with the interviewee. Like there’s some connection I’m missing.

22. Forceflow says:

Damn these illegal black pixels, stealing jobs from our pixel kids. There goes the neighbourhood!

23. D3xter says:

I don’t think the game has enough graphics to arouse my interest. Maybe if it shows up on Steam promising virtual kittens and christmas cake or is included in one of there them Indie packs.

Also it lacks promotional material which may lead to greater effect by both visual and audiotory stimuli I heard other people refer to as “Trailer”.

24. whaleloever says:

You must have spent a small fortune finding a Jim look-alike for the above pic. I reckon it’s the one on the left. His eyes look a bit squiffy.

Bluerps says:

Are we sure that’s the real Jim Rossignol? I mean, look at “About Us” at the top of the page. There might be a vague resemblance between the Rossignol there, and the one (ones?) here, but look at the other pictures – all RPS writers have beards, including Rossignol. The guy/guys in this article? No beard. Suspicious!

• jimmm25 says:

The second Jim was grown from the original’s facial hair.

Rinox says:

I only play games with Taiwanese pixels. Other pixels are so bourgeois.

27. Eukatheude says:

Is it visceral?

28. Deano2099 says:

Again, RPS interview a developer but don’t ask why they’re not using the DRM they’re not using.

I mean, you think Jim would know what subjects to mention to see the hits on this article go through the roof :D

29. El_Emmental says:

I’m still waiting for the Metagraphics score

I mean, they’re saying “Medium”, but what is Medium ? Back in in the early 90s, we had to walk uphill to get a handful of weak deformed graphics and we called that “High” – there wasn’t much to chew on but it was our graphics and we damn earned them

and those damn pixels, they were raised on our lands, not from some obscure far-way country, we actually knew each pixels and respected everyone them, even the blue ones. Hell, I can almost remember some of their names !

few days ago I read in the newspaper that kids are now getting millions of pixels (millions !), so many they’re throwing away most of it, not even taking the time to appreciate what was once our most precious possession !

it won’t last long I’m telling ya, one day people will find themselves graphics-less and no one will know how to make their own anymore…

Gap Gen says:

I love being continually reminded how awesome RPS is. Best interview since John “Say more words” Walker’s with Zombie Cow.

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

Maybe you should arrange a TF2 hat.

32. westyfield says:

Is that Dominic West on the right?

33. brulleks says:

Wowsers, that’s quite the coup as interviews go. How did you manage to get hold of him? I hear he’s a real recluse in the world of games development.

34. Lost says:

I’m quite puzzled by this interview.

Acosta says:

“I mean we’re all definitely going to die, quite grotesquely in some cases, and anything that can be done to get people to think about colours and pleasant noises instead of the infinite abyss of their own doom is worth doing, I would say.”

I am going to laugh all day thinking on this. Thanks Jim.

36. magnus says:

He’s not doing that thing where you hold a mug over your mouth and keep sucking in is he? I did that once and had what looked like a circular bruise round my mouth for a week – not one of my best ideas was that.

felisc says:

I wonder which of those jim i will picture when listening to the next podcast. A massive nerd with an eve mug or an angry bartender.

38. Kleppy says:

Hey this isn’t what I’m paying for you charlatans!

39. Lobotomist says:

This is ridicilous , shameles plug ! Dont be fooled !

Mr Rossignol is affiliated with this site !

They pretend they are interviewing him ! How naive can you be …

I bet they founded RPS in sole purpose to peddle Rossignol games!

40. squareking says:

I want to hang out with Jim Rossignol. Either one.

41. chesh says:

Registering demand for Android version.

42. Sparvy says:

Do Jim have a more successful, secret sibling (separated at birth) who runs Wikipedia?

The evidence is mounting up.

43. Bobtree says:

But what would he ask the monsters from DOOM?

44. DrGonzo says:

I’m pretty sure I took an AVSEQ in school.

45. Birky says:

I thought about tweeting/recommending this article, but then I realised it contains more in-jokes than the whole of 4chan and anyone who hasn’t already visited RPS just won’t get it.

46. Ed123 says:

Damn, Jim has really aged since I remember seeing his sweet, cherubic face in the pages of PC Gamer :(

• jonfitt says:

Haven’t we all? Or are you a lizard person?
      Tell you what though, Adam Smith is looking good considering he started writing about economics in the mid 1700s.

47. sidhellfire says:

Have you seen him blinking?

48. fearian says:

Honestly not insinuating anything, but AVSEQ looks very similar in gameplay to a Design Doc I submitted in my first year of uni… when Tom Betts was my lecturer.

However ours was a fairly shallow doc and the similarities are few. So I’ll just leave this here as a small ‘I had that idea once, kind of!’ statement that someone always makes, any time anything is announced, ever.

Like SkyDrift and our 30 second concept ‘AERO THUNDER‘. Total rip-off, clearly.

49. jonfitt says:

The left-hand Jim is clearly not a real person. It is a sentient EVE mug that extrudes an inflatable person-shaped gas sack, as a defence measure.
    Look, you can even see as it tries to mimic the ‘aggressor’.
    It’s pretty good though, 7/10 on the realistic looking face.