Say “Iwo Iwo” To Rising Storm

By Craig Pearson on January 25th, 2012 at 10:57 am.

We're all going on a... summer holiday.
Game development hint: if you’re going to place your game in a real setting, make it an island paradise. That way you can claim a holiday on company expenses. I’ll bet the developers of this officially supported mod have spent the last six months laughing it up in the Pacific while they brought Iwo Jima into Red Orchestra 2′s chilly war. The Rising Storm team are suntanned and well-rested, and celebrating their jaunt with the dramatic trailer of their work we present below.

I use the word ‘present’ because it’s all noble and worthy. It even has sweeping music is courtesy of Ben Holloway, who’s making the music behind the Oscars this year. How can a mod rope in that sort of talent? Red Orchestra’s developers Tripwire are helping them financially.

I’ve scoured and scoured and not come across a hint of a release date, or if the mod team expect you to pay for their hard work. I’d guess not, because Tripwire have released all their officially supported mods for free so far, but I intend to find out. Will I share it with you guys in the form of an update to this post? You just try and stop me.

, , , , , , .

1. Raymond Saint says:

The trailer shows no signs of action.
    I suspect they’re on the very early stage of development.

bear912 says:

I’m afraid to say that I found the trailer rather rather anticlimactic when I watched it last night. The mod itself is exciting, though. I hope there are plenty of Tommy guns and flamethrowers.

Of course, this is coming from someone who thought that the Red Orchestra 2 Multiplayer Trailer was perhaps the perfect game trailer. I like guns being shot when I’m watching a trailer for a shooter.

3. lordhughes says:

Can’t wait for this mod to be finished, also really hoping somewhere someone is working on Darkest Hour for RO2 :D

• Tams80 says:

I’d prefer Mare Nostrum. Both would be good though.

For Rising Storm, I’d like to play as the British (and their composed forces), Australians, New Zealanders and Canadians.

4. Hydrogene says:

That’s more a teaser than a trailer. But it looks good anyway.

And typo alert: it says Hollway in the credits, not Holloway.

Edit: I’m dumb, it says teaser on the video… Duh.

5. El_Emmental says:

If that mod isn’t bug-plagued like the original game (RO2), there’s a chance they could form a real playerbase :)

(RO2 stats are : peak = 1000 players ; average = 400-500 players, hardly enough to carry a mod by itself)

• paterah says:

I just hope it’s free so they won’t split the already small playerbase.

• SkittleDiddler says:

I don’t think any amount of mods, no matter the quality, is going to save RO2 from having nothing but a tiny hardcore player base from here on out. Tripwire made sure of that by releasing the game in such a poor state. That’s too bad, because it’s a blast when it works.

• Velvetmeds says:

“because it’s a blast when it works. ” <- which is all the time, at least now.

• SkittleDiddler says:

“which is all the time, at least now.”

You’re either the luckiest player, or the worst liar.

• rayne117 says:

“because it’s a blast when it works. ” <- which is all the time, at least now.

That's why there is a huge playerbase with a lot of servers right? :3

Oh wait, there is only ONE, yes, that's right, ONE good American server. JUST ONE. It's the 2fjg 64 player Realism server. And there are just two good 64 player UK servers.

And now there's going to be a mod that can split that even further, can't wait. Hell even BC:Vietnam has barely any people now and BC2 is a lot more popular than RO2.

• DrGonzo says:

It’s Red Orchestra. Why would it have anything but a niche hardcore audience? And why does it matter? I played for years on the only RO1 server that was ever available, and also on the only Darkest Hour server available.

I know I’m glad about that for one. You get to know those you play against. Hardly any annoying or abusive people etc.

6. Cromwell says:

The main problems of RO2 are that there is nothing that forces, encourages or rewards the player enough to be a teamplayer and that most of the maps are not so exciting or they are somehow unfair, so you die to often and have to wait most of the match for your respawn.
    If these problems are fixed, then the player base could become larger I think.

• rayne117 says:

“there is nothing that forces, encourages or rewards the player enough to be a teamplayer”

Not true at all. You get a +10 thing which levels you up which… oh, that’s right. Leveling up doesn’t really mean anything other then “LOOK AT MY DUDE HE IS ALL GRIZZLED NOW AW YEAH BRO.”

• DrGonzo says:

I still feel the problem is pretty much solely the map design. Points don’t matter to RO players I don’t think. Never has to me at least. It’s about the experience bla bla.

Maps need to have choke points and open areas that can only be tackled using team work in my opinion.

7. Adriaan says:

If you want to go you’ll swim!
    We’re going to Iwo and Guadalcanal…

8. buzzmong says:

Hmm, WordPress appears to have eaten my last post.

In short, unless this team include lag compensation in the multiplayer, I won’t be playing it.

RO2:HoS is possibly the worst online experience I’ve had since the days of 56k modems with inconsistancy due to Tripwire’s insistance that lag compensation is a bad thing. It’s magnified by Tripwire’s use of hitscan methods out to 20m in game (then switching to a ballistics model) where milliseconds make a massive difference.
    When close combat shooting is relegated to pot luck as to where your shots have registered from and to, then it spoils the game.

• Shortwave says:

It’s pretty bad, yea.. Such a laugh shooting at anyone moving.. Sideways..

• rayne117 says:

Let’s hope TW can use KF to keep them alive long enough to make a meaningful sequel to RO1.

• DrGonzo says:

I’ve never been unfortunate enough to experience this. But the english server has a low ping when I play on it (around 50). But from the sounds of it this really does need to get fixed. Plenty of videos and rants on the forums agreeing with you.

Oh and they did make a meaningful sequel. I play it most nights. It’s really rather excellent. The best multiplayer game released last year in my opinion. Very flawed, far from perfect admittedly, but still great imo.

• derbefrier says:

yeah i agree it killed the game for me unless your lucky enough to have a good ping on the only populated server your just SOL. rumor has it TWI has been looking to improve things though so i havent uninstalled it just yet.

bear912 says:

To be honest, I’ve not really had much with hit registration.

9. Unaco says:

I can tell Craig is new… Apologising for a pun? You have much to learn.

10. Bweahns says:

If the game had better netcode that could give me a ping lower than what I got playing quake2 on my 56k modem I might actually entertain playing RO2 again.

11. Fiesta1 says:

Too bad its for RO2.
    RO2 has been dead for months. TWI really screwed up the RO franchise.