The Witcher II To Land On Origin

By Craig Pearson on January 25th, 2012 at 2:45 pm.

One of these is Origin, another Steam. LOL!
I’m fairly ignorant of what’s on EA’s Origin, which I currently think of as a Battlefield 3 launcher. But even I can’t wilfully avoid the news of more new publishers dropping games onto the digital distribution service. Not when it’s the likes of Paradox, Trion Worlds, and CD Projekt.

And over the next few months games from Freebird Games, Recoil Games, Autumn Games, inXile, Core Learning, N3V Games and 1C will join those bigger studios in EA’s attempts to distract from Steam’s presence. Trion world’s Rift has just gone live, with a number of bonuses that are not exclusive to Origin.

Is that enough? Steam started out low and slow, and was really just a Counter-Strike launcher in its early days, but that was in 2003. While Origin is building up a catalogue, it’s still missing anything compelling enough for me to want to use it. Steam isn’t just a place to buy games: the program is actually advantageous to install; Origin’s a storefront and a friends list at the moment and there are a few things it needs alongside the new injection of games from other publishers. I should feel excited about putting Origin on my PC, not resentful that it’s needed. There are beta cloud saves, which is definitely a step in the right direction, but where are driver installs, screenshots and video recording? It needs to feel useful, and yes there are things it needs to downright steal from Steam, because that’s the standard people expect from such a service.

Competition is good and should be welcomed, but it should also be competitive. I know there are plenty of people that feel Steam is unnecessary, that it’s DRM, but it’s the first thing I add to my PC after an operating system wipe. I could use it without ever buying a game. Valve have made it an essential program.

Hmm, I went a bit ranty. I’m curious about other perspectives: who has Origin? Who uses it daily? Do you browse the content there? What do you think of what they have and the costs? And what would you like to see it do? Let me know in the comments.

Via VG247.

, , , , , .

1. soldant says:

People actually use Steam for driver installs?

• Wilson says:

I’ve used that feature a couple of times, it seems to work okay.

• felisc says:

I do.

• PoulWrist says:

Why wouldn’t they? Steam is like a console, it dumbs down installing games on your PC enough that it’s no longer scary for the average person, and driver updates are a constant and necessary evil and it is inherently scary. That steam can do it for you without you having to think much, like when you log on your Xbox and it says “there’s an update available, do you want to download it? if you dont you cant play.” and you click OK. Windows Update handles driver updates too, in much the same manner, only slightly slower. It’s good progress.

• NathanH says:

I never even knew that Steam could do this. I wonder whether I want to use it. On one hand, driver installs are scary and I don’t like doing it. On the other hand, driver installs are scary and I’m inherently untrusting of other people’s competence.

• Rob Maguire says:

Actually, no. Valve removed graphics card driver updates from Steam a few client updates ago (at least for AMD, can an NVIDIA user confirm the same?).

• Miltrivd says:

Top menu: Steam > Check for video drivers update…

AMD Radeon HD 5850.

• Prime says:

@Rob. Still there on mine…

I dislike steam but even I use that. It’s convenient…when it works. I do wish, however, that they’d stop giving me the “Steam – error” message box telling me that “This game is unavailable. Please try again at another time” when I try to activate it from their tray menu.

• Rob Maguire says:

After a bit of research, it appears that it’s returning in the next update (so anyone who is opted into the client beta has it). I didn’t see it since I opted into the Skyrim 1.4 beta, and you can apparently only be in one beta at a time (for some reason).

Beta, beta, beta.

• stupid_mcgee says:

@ Rob: I didn’t even realize they removed it. Then again, I haven’t updated my old HD4850 since 11.9 updates. 11.10 – 11.12 have caused Folding@Home to glitch out.

Glad to hear it’s coming back. I wish they’d do the same with NVidia.

Thanks for the info!

• DrGonzo says:

Pretty sure you are actually being positive. But saying Steam ‘dumbed it down’ is a bit silly.

I remember when they added GUIs to pcs and dumbed them down from the masses.

• PoulWrist says:

That’s with the mindset that dumbing down is a bad thing. But then, I was playing games when we had to try and fiddlle with whether or not to load cd-rom drivers in autoexec.cfg to conserve memory :p through a commandline interface. Good times! Or … not. PC gaming has seen far too much of a “It’s hard to just use a computer” thing, because wanting things to just work and being intolerant of things that do not “just work” has become the new way of thinking. I dunno, most these people who have trouble with things that don’t “just work” seem to somehow screw it all up themselves because they can’t figure out how to even do the simplest of things. Like start a program or install one. Or say no to thousands of advertisers.

No, dumbing down is a good thing, if you want the PC to be considered a gaming platform again. You can’t have driver installs and profiles and managing th at kind of thing be at the hands of fhe general user. By all means, LET IT remain a possibility for those of us who like meddling with it, but for all the others it should be a hands-off process, requiring nothing but a “there’s an update, do you want it” and a logfile somewhere saying that they installed this update on this and that date.

• Cerius says:

I don’t really follow you. “Dumbing down” automatically makes one assume that it is a bad thing.

Why don’t you use other adjectives like simplifying? Makes so much more sense for what you mean.

• jrodman says:

A: Streamlined, accelerated, care-free, clarified, accelerated, plain, ordered, facilitated..

B: Dumbed down.

These categories are different.

2. Myzteria says:

Hopefully it’ll add to the game’s reputation, it really deserves it.

3. Furtled says:

Like you say, Origin doesn’t do anything useful and EA’s own back catalogue’s already available at much better prices elsewhere.

Add the heavy handed way they’re forcing the system onto some PC gamers, along with their dubious EULA/data harvesting practices, and it’s something I’m unlikely to ever use or recommend.

If EA want to compete they need to do better both with their product and how they approach their potential customers.

Oh and on Steam improving – I’ve seen a lot of comments elsewhere about gamers having issues with mods & patching (mainly being unable to refuse patches they don’t want for whatever reason). Setting that up as optional would probably garner Steam a lot of goodwill.

• pc_bravado says:

The feature sets aren’t whats lacking – but they would help. I am just amazed at their brutal prices and as mentioned previously, their own games are cheaper on other platforms. They could have used the publicity of SWTOR and BF3 to draw people in with some promotions and discount pricing.

• Grygus says:

Given that Steam exists as a model, Origin is inexcusably terrible.

My personal example is from last month: there were ads that said, “Buy The Old Republic as a gift for a friend!” Clicking on that would send you to Origin. The joke is: you cannot buy games as gifts on Origin. The mechanic does not exist. You won’t find this information anywhere on the site, though; not even in the support section. You have to find it in the forums, where other confused users will let you know.

There is a litany of problems with the licensing model that I won’t even go into here; if you’re interested, it makes for a few entertaining minutes of Googling.

I am disappointed that it is getting undeserved support from good developers. It would have been nice if devs felt like they were in a position to demand better.

• Prime says:

To try and be positive about Origin for a moment, I do wonder what it would/will be like after just five years of development. Steam does need a competitor and it’s long past time someone had the courage to make the attempt. Early Steam wasn’t great either, which is what Origin should properly be compared with.

Still, then there’s all the usual EA rubbish you have to get past as well…the outlook does not look good. So if people do put their games on there then I do hope that they are still available from other places as well.

• Kaira- says:

@Prime
      “To try and be positive about Origin for a moment, I do wonder what it would/will be like after just five years of development”

Here we have a roadmap. It seems they have quite a lot planned, bringing Origin to Android-phones and so.

I predict that in the next two or three years Origin looks quite different from what it is now. Be it a good or bad thing.

• Tams80 says:

I feel Steam is forced upon me and thus is little different. Yes, Steam is better, it has better social features and the offline mode seems to work now fairly well.

I use Evolve now though and thus Steam has become forced upon me again.

• stupid_mcgee says:

Thing I love: So, apparently, your Origin, EA Forum, EA Store, and BioWare Social account are now the same. They all share the same password and are regarded as a single account. Now, when I try to log onto EA’s site for certain functions, it requires me to have a password of no longer than 16 characters. Okay. So I reset my 32-character password that I used for the EA Store and Origin. Then BioWare Social freaked out and requires me to enter a new password, allowing for up to 32 characters. Okay. So I update my password. I then try to log in, and password wasn’t accepted because, again, certain parts of EA’s site still require you to use a 16-character password, and it won’t accept the 16+ character password that BioWare Social just required of me. That’s right. The hilarity is piled on top of failure is that the 16-charcter password that this one part of EA’s site requires, it doesn’t even recognize the passwords you set via Origin or BioWare social!

So, yeah, some parts of EA’s site are simply inaccessible if I have a 16+ character password. Why? Because there’s one old account system (I think it’s their old forum/support system) that they just jammed into Origin and never bothered to upgrade its credentials.

And these people want me to give them money? A company with this much financial backing and security, and this much potential resources, and they can barely get their stupid site in order? Despite that they’d had it for 6 years now? Really?

Why would I want to buy from the Three Stooges of digital retail?

• Miltrivd says:

I think the problem right now is ‘trust’, at least on my end. The EULA, the incredibly bad customer service, the risk of being banned (and lose everything you have bought) unfairly. Those 3 things are in no way minor stuff. Then again, the service is working downright horribly and even tho is starting, we are not talking about a small company without resources to do proper research and development, to me that speaks of cheapness and rushed work, just for the sake of being live… That’s not putting customers first and I’m not interested on buying from someone that has their own agenda above my interests.

• Wut The Melon says:

“Steam needs a competitor”. Now, I’m not for a monopoly nor do I just want to be the Steam fanboy, but neither do I believe in competition making everything better. What does Steam need to improve on? Pricing? Origin is definitely not going to help with that, and I think Steam already is relatively cheap during sales (not with new releases, but I haven’t found a digital release platform that gives fair prices for those yet). Origin could do very well outside of the US by stopping the outright stupid $1=€1 policy, but EA seems to ignore any countries outside of N-America, just as they generally have ignored PC gamers. No, I’m afraid that Origin looks only slightly more promising (for the users, at least) than GFWL…

• Kaira- says:

“What does Steam need to improve on? Pricing?”

Pricing and prices. DRM-aspect. The software itself. EULA. I really don’t care where the competition comes if it drives Steam to improve in all of these aspects, and more.

• Archonsod says:

“What does Steam need to improve on?”

Pretty much everything.

• Arglebargle says:

Is there really something that Origin does better than Steam aside from having certain exclusives?

While not in the GFWL category of incompetance, Origin is still a negative in my buying algorithm.

• Archonsod says:

You can play games without having to have it running in the background.

• Furtled says:

@Archonsod
      If you mean Origin then nope – unless BioWare have it wrong they’ve stated Origin needs to be installed & running for ME3 to work on single or multi-player.

4. FreshwaterAU says:

I have Orign, got it for Old Republic and registered a few older games on there (RA3, ME2) it’s nice to have digital copies of those games, however Origin doesnt work as well as Steam, just doesnt, to update steam I jsut have to click “restart steam” Origin made me go through an installer program, just small stuff like that. Plus I already have everything on steam. I’m not opposed to Origin, but I do wish I just had the option to get any game anywhere (even Valve tiles on Origin etc). exclusive titles is what bugs me, but yeah.

anyway I own it but rarely if ever turn it on and its not replacing Steam for me anytime soon. It also lowers my desire to get games. I’d have Crysis 2 now if it was on Steam, I’m sure of it. Just…not worth it with Origin for me, at least not yet.

• Commisar says:

I know, Origin isn’t evil, it just isn’t finished yet.

5. Zeewolf says:

“They have a massive EA back catalogue that the could cheaply exploit. The proof is that they’re already doing it, but on other digital distribution platforms. Why not their own?”

Don’t give them any ideas, at least not until GOG’s got most of their classics…

6. suibhne says:

EA can’t even integrate Origin properly with its own flagship titles. The fact that your Origin friends list cannot be transferred into BF3 is fairly incredible to me. Amateurish stuff like that needs to be fixed before the program begins to look like it’s ready for prime-time.

Also, Origin randomly forgets my sign-on details despite being told to remember them, and every single Origin update process has caused problems (generally due to the updater being unable to quit Origin processes which it needs to update, thus requiring me to do so manually in Task Manager). Lots of rough edges. They would’ve been forgivable if EA were competing against 2003-era Steam, which was also very rough, but you can’t expect your beta-level mess to go up against a relatively polished market leader with almost 10 years of iteration behind it. EA really needs to do better than this.

• Shadow Aspect says:

Not especially a fan of Origin, but the friends list from it can now be imported into Battlelog. Bottom right of the Battlelog is the Com Centre. Go there, and click the logo with a cog (mouse-over text is ‘manage your friends’). You should see a section ‘select friends to import from Origin’.

I just ticked Select All and clicked the Import button. Do note that this seems to send a friend request confirmation within Battlelog (as separate from the friend request confirmation you would have sent before via Origin), which I think the other person will still need to accept.
      So yeah, still needs work.

My main issue is with the ‘offline mode’. The last time the Origin servers went down seemed to be due to the last BF3 update. Battlelog was still available but the Origin authentication servers were down, and instead of simply saying online mode was unavailable it dropped my password from the log-in and wouldn’t let me get into Origin at all. I thought I’d be able to at least play BF3 singleplayer until the servers were all back up but no, so if Origin can’t log you in you can’t use offline mode. Good job there.

7. jezcentral says:

Am I right in thinking that Origin doesn’t need to be active to launch its games?

I wouldn’t go elsewhere other than Steam, but some would see this as a good thing.

Still, yay for more choice!

• GetUpKidAK says:

That isn’t right, no.

• ankh says:

You’ve gotta have it open to play battlefield 3 multiplayer. Like Craig, for me Origin is just a bf3 launcher just as steam use to be a CS launcher. I’m pretty sure Origin is more stable and user friendly than steam was when it launched.

• thegooseking says:

It depends on the game.

But that’s also true of Steam.

I know Origin doesn’t even think I have Mass Effect 2 installed, despite the fact that I downloaded it through Origin. But that’s ok since I can just run the executable directly (or, more often, from a Steam shortcut).

But some games do require Origin to be running.

• stupid_mcgee says:

“I’m pretty sure Origin is more stable and user friendly than steam was when it launched. ”

I would hope so. They’ve had the EA Download Manager for 4+ years now, and Origin is really just a mildly modified EADM. There’s really no excuse for how piss-poor Origin is. It’s like they just started working on it when its details got released to the public.

As for OP, some Origin games do, some do not. BF3 does. Mass Effect 2 does not. SW:TOR does not (AFAIK). Mass Effect will. So, some of EA’s newer titles do require Origin, but most of their titles do not, especially ones released before the rebranding launch of Origin.

8. Belsameth says:

EA first has to stop with their silly banning policy and dubious EULA’s.
    Time and again they have proven to be untrustworthy. I think that’s a bigger problem then added value or good titles, which both will come in time.

9. GenBanks says:

Witcher 2 being on Origin still begs the question… why would anyone buy it there instead of say GOG (where it’s DRM free) or Steam (if you care about achievements)

• PoulWrist says:

They only sold a paltry number of copies from GOG compared to other places like steam. Why you would want to buy anything on steam other than when it’s on sale for cheap is however beyond me.

• ankh says:

Maybe I’m being cynical (Ok I AM being cynical), but I’m sure you can put that down to the Steam List Of Games Using Pretty Icons ‘feature’.

• Khemm says:

@Poul Wrist
      They sold 250 000 digital copies, 35 000 of which were sold on GOG. That’s actually a respectable number considering GOG has nowhere near the same market penetration. Also, 100% of the money came directly to CDP.
      That was a while ago, that number will be higher now.

• Kaira- says:

Then again, didn’t they sell 70% of copies on retail? Someone who can be arsed to find the information could dig it from the article some time back.

• GenBanks says:

I think for people who have a lot of friends on Steam, the achievements is a nice feature for sociable gaming, seeing what your friends have done. Plus screenshot sharing with steam friends.
      I personally had a hard time choosing between steam and gog for that reason, although I ultimately went with gog.

• DrGonzo says:

If it’s anything like Alice Madness Returns, it will detect my Witcher 2 retail install and add it to Origin for me. Making reinstalls and stuff easier. I didn’t ask it to find Alice though, which worries me a bit.

• Kadayi says:

You registered the game to your EA account Gonzo, that’s why Origin knows you own it.

• VelvetFistIronGlove says:

Plus screenshot sharing with steam friends.

GenBanks: You get that functionality in any game, as long as you launch it through Steam (using the “add non-Steam game” button at the bottom).

One of the reasons I like using Steam (irrespective of its store and DRM) is that I can use most of its features in any game: its friends network and messaging, voice chat, screenshots, in-game web browser (handy for gamefaqs with games that don’t like alt+tab).

10. LTK says:

It’s like… the person you most admire makes friends with the person you most look down on. Kind of requires you to change your opinion of one of the two.

• Prime says:

Beautifully analogised. :)

• stupid_mcgee says:

I felt the same way about the BioWare/EA merger. I tried to be optimistic… I really did!

• DrGonzo says:

It is a perfect analogy. Sums up how silly I think this Origin hate is. If who your friends are friends with concerns you then you are probably somewhat uncomfortable with yourself.

11. GetUpKidAK says:

Besides the EULA stuff, I couldn’t really care less. I barely use it as a BF3 launcher, since I tend to just run Battelog from a browser and it does all the necessary stuff for me.

I wouldn’t really consider it as a Steam competitor at this point, and I certainly wouldn’t have even bothered with it at all if it wasn’t essential for BF3.

12. RobF says:

I bought Bulletstorm twice. First time I got it on the EA store which was just transitioning into Origin and then a second time on Steam so I never have to go near the EA store again.

That’s how much I don’t want EA’s client. And also how much I enjoyed Bulletstorm, but that’s by the by.

13. Khemm says:

“I know there are plenty of people that feel Steam is unnecessary”

*Raises hand*
    I play many Steamworks-free games and honestly don’t feel like I’m missing out on anything, quite the contrary. The majority of Steam’s features are accessable without its DRM infesting retail copies. People who mostly buy stuff on Steam and download it directly will never understand what a major headache Steam is when you’ve got crappy internet and a DVD in drive with useless data until Valve mercifully decrypts it and then forces you to download GBs of nonsense just so your copy finally becomes playable.

No amount of features – which are online-based mostly, quite ironic people complain about Ubi – will make it all up to me.
    I haven’t bought any Origin game yet, so I don’t know if the installation process is equally painful. What I know is that offline mode in Origin actually works and works beautifully, unlike Steam’s.

• Brun says:

“What I know is that offline mode in Origin actually works and works beautifully, unlike Steam’s.”

Too bad very little else about Origin works properly. I would much rather have had EA just stick with putting their games on Steam like everyone else.

• ankh says:

Offline mode is the most important ‘feature’ for me when it comes to DRM and I assume it’s the same for many others.

• Khemm says:

@Brun
      What exactly doesn’t work? I’m curious.
      I installed Origin to play BF3 beta and it’s a blatant copy of Steam in terms of design, but everything worked and the offline mode is miles better. Like I said, I didn’t buy any Origin-enabled game, so I don’t know what the installation process looks like.

• Shadow Aspect says:

As I commented above, Origin’s offline mode actually doesn’t work properly – at least not for everyone. Having said that, I have problems sometimes with Steam’s offline mode.
      So yeah, looks like EA and Valve both have work to do.

• Brun says:

The last two Origin updates have required me to completely uninstall and reinstall the program (the update process would hang).

Other things that don’t work: I played both the BF3 alpha and beta, and after uninstalling both (from within Origin, which really only opens up the Add/Remove programs screen) their giant boxart icons still appeared under “My Games.”

• baozi says:

i like steam.

yes, it’s drm, and what will happen should it go bust?
      yes, steam shouldn’t be required for retail games, but it’s been years since i bought retail games, so i personally don’t care much about that.
      yes, as far as i can remember, despite being in offline mode, steam, for whatever reason, has had forced me to go online at times (i don’t know if that’s still an issue, haven’t used it for a while.), and when the steam server are unresponsive, that’s annoying, too.

and i don’t care much about achievements, i could live without the messaging and connect to a friend’s game features, and having all games in one place is nice, but not necessary. cloud saving is cool.

the real thing that ties me to steam is that the games, if the publisher hasn’t forced another kind of drm on it, aren’t bound to your computer. install three times, then it’s off to customer support? that’s bull. hardware change, new computer? who cares? hey, if i’m at a friend’s and we feel like playing a certain game, i can always log into my steam account on his computer, download it, ready, set, go.

activation limits make me feel like i don’t own (you know what i mean) the game. yes, if gog had the same catalog that steam has, i’d probably buy all my games on there, even if they were slightly more expensive. but it hasn’t.

to be fair, i don’t know how origin handles activation because i don’t have any origin games.

• stupid_mcgee says:

I have never had a problem with Steam’s offline mode. I realize that doesn’t mean that others do not have problems, but to say that Steam’s offline mode doesn’t work at all is terribly misleading and disingenuous.

I can’t compare to Origin, as the only reason I have it is because I bought Sims 3 from the EA Store back before they came to Steam, but Steam’s offline mode does work well for plenty of people. I’ve had my computer in offline mode for over 6 months before, for example. So, yes, offline mode does work, but for some it might not. Origin is not exempt from this.

• SoRHunter says:

I keep well away from STEAM. No amount of features makes me let go of my civil rights – if I want to lend or sell a game I have no interest on, I should be able to do it. As far as I know, that’s not possible on STEAM.

I know I won’t make much of a difference, but it is a point of mine not to buy DRM-ridden games. All STEAM games suffer from this predicament, as they require STEAM’s client to run. No thank you!

• stupid_mcgee says:

I agree that it is annoying that you can’t trade or sell used games on Steam. AFAIK, the only digital service that does this is Green Man Gaming.

• Kaira- says:

Even worse is that you can’t sell or lend RETAIL games which must be tied to Steam.

• DrGonzo says:

Jesus. Anyone would think that EA had come around your house and personally offended you. I haven’t had any issues with Origin yet. But Battlefield does stops working a lot due to Punkbuster.

14. Vinraith says:

I have Origin, at present I don’t use it much. I try to avoid buying things on it for the same reason I try to avoid buying things on Steam, any third party client is really just a DRM wall between me and my games. In the same way that I tolerate Steamworks games (at steep discounts) I’ll undoubtedly tolerate Origin-linked games (at same). For stuff I only plan to play through once or twice it’s not a huge issue, the problem is games that I know I’ll want to play 5 or 10 years from now.

15. ScubaMonster says:

While it’s nice for the game to get more exposure by being available in more places, I’m at a loss as to why one would want to buy this on Origin when you can buy it on gog.com with no DRM.

16. Tyraa Rane says:

Hmm. I’m going to go with “nope, still buying those titles elsewhere” for $200, Alex.

Right now, faced with a choice between installing Origin on my PC and getting clonked in the head with a brick, I’ll choose the brick. Every time. It’s not Origin I have the problem with necessarily–although it’s not as feature or discount friendly as Steam, which certainly doesn’t help its case–it’s the company behind it.

EA started off on the wrong foot when they yanked some of their titles off Steam and then spun it as 100% Valve’s fault, and they’ve been mis-stepping ever since. Origin’s terrible EULA was just the (large) final nail in the coffin. Followed by many more additional nails with all the terrible customer service and banning stories.

I don’t trust them. I don’t trust their download service. No matter how many shiny things they try dangling in front of me, I’m not buying.

• stupid_mcgee says:

IMO, EA is the perfect example of why a lot of big business is insanely stupid.

True Story (cue Real World “true stories” yodel): Back in the day I was interested in getting a copy of Battlefield 2. I was like, “well, I can go to the store which is a 30+ minute drive, or I could see if EA’s online store has it.”

I went and checked their online store, and they had BF2 complete pack for a fairly reasonable price. I was like, “well, that’s it, i guess.”

I then got this nagging feeling and decided to read some of the Terms and read the general fine print on my checkout. After that I was like, “they want me to pay $2 extra just so I can redownload my title again after 6 months? Well, that’s bullshit. And it’s only good for up to 2 years? But, what if I need to download and install 3 years later down the line?”

That little bit of nickel-and-dime as well as the uncertainty of what would happen after this 2-year term was up made cancel my checkout of BF2 Complete and, instead, I bought Bioshock on Steam. Then came the Orange Box and so many more.

Summary: EA’s shitty business practices, literally, drove me right into the arms of their competitor, and I haven’t wanted to leave since. GG, EA!

17. TLGAthena says:

In order :

* Origin’s pricing system so far means that I would pretty much never go near it for any actual purchase unless it was vastly (I’m talking between a third and a half at least) cheaper than Steam, and on favourable terms in comparison to places like Amazon. I’m willing to pay the Steam premium because it has critical mass in terms of people I talk to and games I play, keeping everything on one ecosystem thus makes some level of sense to me.

* View options are restricted to either looking at large box art shots or a nasty nasty text list, no RSS syndication, no patch notes or useful news related or otherwise under the game details. Uninstalling brings up the windows add/remove programs dialog (wtf?!?).

* Demos need their own category and not to be listed as “Free games”, they’re also not linked from their respective game release pages, nor can you set up a wishlist or add games to your wishlist. I’ve not looked into purchasing so I’ve no clue if gift purchases are even possible as yet.

* Origin in game does cause issues, even with some of EA’s own titles, as yet, it’s not seamless, and it doesn’t work reliably, compared to Steam which pretty much runs on everything as long as it has a directX library. So far the only game it’s hitched on from my library is Assassin’s Creed 2 and Brotherhood (Something wierd involving the graphics I guess).

These are all issues that with a much wider selection of titles and better discounting and less onerous EULA conditions can be to an extent overcome, but then there’s the biggest issue of the lot. It’s EA, and EA so far have an impressive track record in being dicks to my eye. So far the main thing that puts me off of touching Origin is that EA’s treatment of gamers has been at best indifferent and at worst horrific (Hello BF3 and TOR). Valve so far have managed to earn my trust and not done anything that would put it at risk, their servers have heart attacks when they do those zany huge sales but hey, try having an ecosystem with 5-6 mil people online all at once and see what happens..

18. Kaira- says:

I tried Origin, can’t remember what was the game. It was okay. Origin, not the game. Or well, the game also. Nothing stellar, basically a reskinned Steam with some features missing.

19. mr.ioes says:

As an austrian resident I can’t buy titles like Bulletstorm between 11 pm and 6 am due to some german law. Not that I would ever buy from origin.
    You can buy prima strategy guide for Bulletstorm on Steam, but not on Origin. Very weird.
    Bulletstorm is way cheaper on Origin (30€) than on Steam (50€), I’ll give them that. Then again, Bulletstorm was 7,50€ during holiday sale IIRC.
    All the game details (co-op, singleplayer, languages, metascore, etc.) are totally missing.

Steam tries to present as much useful information as possible without feeling cluttered. Origin on the other hand is like watching commercials.

compare it for yourself:

There still is a lot to do for EA in order to be feasable for the average Steamuser.

20. Octaeder says:

The stupid thing about Origin’s Battlefield 3 connectivity is it’s virtually non-existant. The friend list isn’t even shared between Origin and Battlelog. If I play TF2, you can see how Steam is integral to the process – I can quick join a friend’s game from the friend list, access the server list from outside the game, etc. Whereas Origin seems to have no connection to BF3 besides annoyingly booting itself up whenever I log into Battlelog from my browser. It’s there because EA wanted an excuse to get it on my computer, rather than to offer me any services that make me want to have it.

21. Wreckdum says:

I’m glad I’m not the only person that thinks of Origin as “Battlefield 3 launcher” lol What a useless piece of software.

• Khemm says:

When I say the same thing about Steam, I get criticized. Sigh.

• Prime says:

As people have tried to say to you, Khemm, it’s not what you say but how frequently they hear it from you (especially on threads that barely have any relevance) and the manner in which it is delivered. About Steam we’re pretty much in accord but sometimes you’re a bit overly-fanatical about it even for me and I like a good Steam rant as much as the next bloke.

• sneetch says:

I think people criticise you so much because you repeatedly say it regardless of what the actual article is about.

• Khemm says:

@sneetch
      Only when other DRMs are mentioned. All DRMs are “evil”. All I want is for people to stop boycotting DRM X while singing the praises of DRM Y. That’s DUMB.

I hate Steam, but I ultimately decide supporting developers making good games is what I should be doing, especially devs making gems like Anno. Refusing to do this and buying shovelware no XX instead because it has Steam DRM is pure retardation on consumers’ part.

• Unaco says:

What if DRM X and DRM Y are not the same? Is it still dumb? I wouldn’t think so.

• stupid_mcgee says:

Wait, wait, wait….

- *emphasis mine

Really? Really? So, you hate Steam because of its DRM, but you praise Anno, which has DRM even more draconian than Steam?

Also, it’s not singing the praise of DRM, it’s singing the praise of the services. NO ONE is sitting around going, “y’know, I like Steam’s DRM. I just wish they had activation limits.” “Well, I like Ubi’s DRM. I mean, it could be better, but it’s okay.” “I kick it oldschool! SecuROM for me, man!” That’s an absolutely fallacious argument and you know it. And, yeah, that’s exactly what it is. People buy Steamworks games not because they’re good, just because they like to buy into Steam’s DRM.

Maybe the reason why people criticize what you have to say is because your posts are full of straw man arguments and direct contradictions. It’s like an exercise in enduring logical fallacies.

• Khemm says:

@stupid_mcgee
      MORE draconian? How, exactly? Steam games are a pain to install for me and getting offline mode to work is like winning a lottery, Anno has a simple installer and I can play it in offline mode. Sorry, it’s significantly less intrusive, there’s no contradiction here.

• HothMonster says:

Not to discredit people who do, because I am sure people have problems with it. But I have never had a problem installing a game through steam or with its offline mode( in years, I did have some issues with offline about 6-7 years ago and couldn’t play for a day). But I did want to point out that even if a game is on steam its still the devs decision to include the steam drm. There are plenty of games I have through steam that can be launched by just clicking their .exe with steam closed.

• sneetch says:

@Khemm

Re: Steams offline mode

BTW does your PC use wireless or a wired net connection? Some people have problems with getting Steam to go offline if they’re on wireless as windows seems to keep trying to connect, disabling the wireless connection or plugging in a wired one allows it to detect it’s off the net more easily.

Not a “smooth” way of getting it to work and certainly not ideal or anything but it might work.

• TLGAthena says:

@ Khemm

Anno 2070′s offline mode is more like a demo mode, with a lot of the core functionality missing. So yes, I suppose it works, in much the same way as Steam which you so obviously have problems with does.

Back to your cave, troll.

22. Icyicy9999 says:

Even when the Kingdoms of Amalur demo went live on Origin I refused to download it.
    And for good reason, a couple of hours later it was up on Steam too.

23. bill says:

I’m in Japan. Games on Origin (as EA seem to have rebranded their old crappy web store) cost between $80-$100, if they are available at all. Mirror’s Edge is currently selling for about 60quid.

I have no incentive or intention to use their store, so I don’t know if they even use their new client over here yet. Or if it’s a regional thing. Their sales aren’t usually international either.

I know that Origin keeps getting compared to steam, but IMHO it’s a totally different kettle of fish – because it’s controlled by one of the biggest games publishers around.
    Some people claim steam is a monopoly, which isn’t really true – but even if it was it’d be a monopoly as a store. If EA manages to make Origin into a steam-beater then Origin will be a monopoly of a store and a publisher combined. And it’ll be an online/offline monopoly at that.

Given EA’s reach, they could very quickly grow Origin into a rival to steam, by including it on all their retail releases and by denying big games to steam.
    Frankly, that scares the crap out of me as a game consumer, as EA have shown over here that they’ve no interest in reducing prices and are happy to gouge people for as much as they can get.

24. sneetch says:

I use Origin, it’s fine, nothing special and very expensive, I’ll continue to buy retail copies and register them there if needed.

The lack of any connection between the friends list in Origin itself and, say, BF3 is a bit stupid. They should just use the Origin list, that way people could “import” their friends list into a new game as soon as they install it and without farting about. (I’ve no doubt that’s the long term plan though).

Some integrated voice and hassle free networking would be nice too, a standard set of functionality that they use for all EA developed games.

25. MSJ says:

I think EA uses GOG for their old games because GOG actually fix those games so that they can run on most modern PCs. GOG also handles stuff like the servers and support.

26. dangermouse76 says:

I am one of these bad people that prefers a monopoly, not becuase I think they are good or always the best but because I am lazy. I dont want to mess around with lots of clients on my computer and multiple DRM ” solutions ”

I want one thing that works, Steam works so I use that. Competition is an overated experiance that the motivated socially aware try to convince the lazy is necessary for a better world. Long live the lazy in our guilded cages !!

• stupid_mcgee says:

Well, the whole “competition is good” argument relies on the notion that the party will actually try to compete in a way that serves the customer’s best interest. One need only look at the music industry’s adoption of CDs to see that, even in a field of massive competition, it doesn’t necessarily mean that it’s going to be better for the consumer.

In case you’re wondering, CDs were $20 when they first came out. Labels and publisher said that prices would drop once equipment became the norm and the media got cheaper. Only, prices never did drop on CDs. They stayed at $20 for years. It wasn’t until iTunes undercut CD prices that labels freaked out and began to lower their CD prices to try and compete.

Of course, they also tried to outlaw the CD burner for home use, burnable CDs, MP3 players, MP3 stores, and programs that ripped music into MP3 format.

• Kaira- says:

Oh, but the prices have dropped. 20$ right now is worth less than in the 80s. If the prices would have stayed the same since 1980, CDs would cost right now 52$.

• dangermouse76 says:

Being 35 now I remember when the first CD was released in the UK I think it was Dire Straits – Brothers in arms.

I am kinda half joking in the above statement. I agree competition is only competition if the players compete, otherwise it is just big companies wanting to own the game by setting all the rules. I dont really want that. No one does, it just comes down to voting with your wallet in the end, and dissent ofcourse.

There just seems so much to fight for nowa days.

27. MSJ says:

If it doesn’t matter if a game is on Origin if it’s already on Steam, where does that put other digital download stores like Gamersgate and Green Man Gaming.

• Khemm says:

It’s already been proven false… Origin is not spyware, it’s a standard procedure which many other programs have been doing for years.

• HothMonster says:

Citation please. If you google origin spyware or origin scans my computer you can find a whole lot of these videos. I don’t have any programs that regularly scan my hdds and report the info to a third party. How is that not spyware? Or are you saying that all of these videos showing it scanning are fake.

As far as I see its scanning parts of the HDD it has no business in, including some guys tax records and info synched from mobile devices. The EULA is sketchy, these scans are sketchy and outside of EA saying “No no of course we aren’t looking at your stuff, its all just industry standard” *Mr Burns fingers* I see no reason to believe its not doing what people have shown video evidence of it doing.

EA recently got the rights to the browser version of Bejeweled. When my girlfriend went to play they had an updated EULA for the browser game with their same bullshit clauses that they have the right to scan your HDD. Maybe it is all just boilerplate EULA stuff, but thats a bullshit clause that I don’t think we should all be comfortable clicking through, especially for a freaking browser game.

I can’t seem to find their EULA online and don’t feel like downloading the program so it pops up on me. Is this still the clause they are running with: ‘You agree that EA may collect, use, store and transmit technical and related information that identifies your computer (including the Internet Protocol Address), operating system, Application usage (including but not limited to successful installation and/or removal), software, software usage and peripheral hardware, that may be gathered periodically to facilitate the provision of software updates, dynamically served content, product support and other services to you, including online services. EA may also use this information combined with personal information for marketing purposes and to improve our products and services. We may also share that data with our third party service providers in a form that does not personally identify you. IF YOU DO NOT WANT EA TO COLLECT, USE, STORE, TRANSMIT OR DISPLAY THE DATA DESCRIBED IN THIS SECTION, PLEASE DO NOT INSTALL OR USE THE APPLICATION.” ? I know steam and other have similiar clauses but I have never caught steam rummaging through my hdd.

• Kaira- says:

Here’s one article about how Origin is not spyware. You can get the referenced article (for a namely fee) from here. Steam uses the very same function calls seen on those videos ‘proving’ Origin being spyware.

• Unaco says:

@Hothmonster,

You know, you can use Google and find a heap of videos saying 9/11 was an inside job, or that Climate Change is a scam to enact a single World Government, that the UN are going to take away our freedoms, that Fort Knox is filled with Aliens, that the British Royal Family are Reptiles, that AIDs was created by man, that Beyonce’s baby daughter is the Anti-christ, and that Princess Diana was killed by MI6. Because there are a lot of them, and videos, that makes them true?

A German Technology Publication looked into the Origin as Spyware claims, and found them to be completely false. It’s people misinterpreting Process Manager, jumping to conclusions, and generally scaremongering.

• HothMonster says:

“Because there are a lot of them, and videos, that makes them true?”

Thanks for the snark. Outside of the fact that their is a big difference between videos saying 9/11 is a conspiracy and videos of government agents planting bombs on support beams. I wasn’t referring to videos of people saying origin was spyware I was referring to videos that appeared to be showing origin acting as spyware. I am aware that not everything on the internet is true. Which is why I was asking for the evidence people are basing the claim that its not spyware on. Its funny you say I should know better than to believe those videos but I should instantly trust the statement of a random guy on the internet and one test run conducted in Germany.

I am happy to accept evidence that this is not true. But frankly EA saying its not true was not enough for me because they are a notoriously untrustworthy company that like to put the needs of customers last (subjective statement). The investigation you linked to makes me slightly more inclined to believe them.

I will have to look into the statements about process manager misrepresenting the actions of Origin.exe. I would also like to know what is in those encrypted packets that origin is sending out. Frankly a lot of it comes down to me just not trusting them and them not showing a lot of respect for customers in general and that outweights my desires to play BF3

• Furtled says:

A lot of the technical issues German gamers raised have been resolved – most of it was down to sloppy coding on EA’s part along with an ambiguously worded and overly broad EULA.

On the EA/Steam EULA data thing – Steam does give customers the option to opt out of data collection so they can still run the games without handing Steam the rights to rifle through their hardrive, EA doesn’t offer any opt out option other than not installing Origin (and therefore BF3 or ME3).

Personally I stick to retail editions wherever possible, but if I had no choice but to opt for a digital service, and the only options were Steam or Origin – I’d chose Steam in a heartbeat since they actually appear to respect their customers.

As is I won’t be buying ME3 :(

• HothMonster says:

“Sadly I won’t be buying ME3″

Yeah I am in the same boat, I am hoping someone patches the origin requirements out of it like they did with BF3, then I will probably buy it.

28. Tams80 says:

If it were another company like Valve releasing something like Steam now, I wouldn’t be surprised if it were treated the exact same way Origin has been. Hell, Steam was probably derided when it was launched. I can’t be bothered to research whether it was or not, as it really doesn’t concern me as I don’t such systems anyway.

Games of Origin almost always seem to be ridiculously priced, even during sales (The Saboteur was an exception). It’s as bad as Games for Windows (Age of Empires III Complete a while back being an exception).

• Tyraa Rane says:

It was. Steam’s launch was a complete and total mess not unlike Origin’s, actually. The major difference is that it had the consumers’ good will towards Valve to keep it going, and Valve’s willingness to expand and fix it up.

But most importantly, Steam launched in what was essentially an empty room. Steam had the breathing room to screw up and make terrible mistakes because they were pretty much the only show in town. There was no competition waiting to leap in and grab their customers every time they broke offline mode or what-have-you.

Origin, on the other hand, is trying to launch itself in a very crowded party. They’ve made a lot of the same mistakes Steam did in its early days, but the difference is consumers are considerably less willing to put up with it. Why should we go chat up the fumbling, drunk new guy in the corner when we’ve got our pick between Steam/GOG/Gamersgate?

• FreshwaterAU says:

I remember PC gamer dinging Half Life 2 some points specifically because of steam.

I also remember thinking WTF is this Steam crap at the time too. I do like that Steam for a large part centralizes PC gamers.

29. thegooseking says:

The Origin storefront, while ok (but only ‘ok’) if you know exactly what you want, is not remotely attractive to impulse-buyers. And I suspect that that, more than this exclusive titles nonsense, is what they need to compete with Steam.

Steam has got a lot more money out of me by offering a game cheap than they ever have by offering a game I really wanted, but it’s not just a question of price. It’s also a question of the browsing (ugh, do I have to use this word?) ‘experience’. Steam’s isn’t even perfect (if I’m browsing through a list of games and click on a game, then decide I don’t want it, I want to go back to where I was in the list, not back to the start of the list), but it’s still a lot more fluid and easy to browse than Origin’s store.

30. Milky1985 says:

Probably been lured to the system with the promise of all that lovely lovely harvested user data, that they definitly do not gather and the evidence that says that they did gather it was actually windows setting permisions despite the fact that windows setting permissions would look different in the monitoring software but they are really nice people that only have it in the t and c’s just in case because they would never think of using it in any dodgy ways at all so just sign the EULA as really they are helping you out…. *collapses due to lack of breathing*

31. Paul says:

Origin is incredibly shitty application, but compared to GFWL it is at least not actively shitting up all over PCs on which it resides.

However it is still incredibly shitty, and the excuse “steam was shitty once” does not apply, because this is EA and it is 2012, for fuck sake.

32. Keymonk says:

No matter how ridiculous prices can be on Steam, I’ve never found them to be less so on EAStore/Origin. There the prices are even worse. :/ And they -insist- on turning everything into my own language, when I prefer English and choose so on every single profile page. It’s annoying as shit to have it turn into Danish despite my blatant preferences towards the opposite.

33. TLGAthena says:

“Sure I’ll buy Mass Effect 3. Congratulations EA: you just got £40 out of me. And as it is, Origin’s realistically not going to get much more than £40 out of me a year with that approach. I’ve spent £1000 on Steam since 2007, so that’s an average of £200 a year (and that’s a conservative estimate, since I’m spending a lot more on games now than I did when I started using Steam). That’s not competitive on EA’s part. Origin needs to stop worrying about giving me “the big names” and start thinking about what it’s going to do when I just want a game, without necessarily having a specific idea of which one.”

This, minus the purchase of ME3, my game purchasing habits increased gradually over steam, and I find the convenience of having all the titles in the same place too useful. I don’t want a hundred different game launchers all shoddily coded by their respective publisher. I want at most two or three WELL CODED game clients that can actually talk to each other if needs be, that aren’t overly intrusive and that allow me to play and purchase games as and when I feel like it.

EA is not the company to break Valve’s stranglehold on the market, though their ability to keep exclusives off the steam ecosphere will guarantee them at least some market share. At best, fragmentation of the market happens, which nobody will want.

34. SiHy_ says:

Er.. well I just treat Steam as a place to buy games…

35. stahlwerk says:

Two Words:
    The Sims

Everytime the ladyfriend boots her PC, it queries her to download origin as an update to the sims 3. With the propensity of the franchise to be in the Top 3 of all videogame sales ever, it’s not hard to imagine Origin having a ridiculously large user base.

36. Fatbubba says:

Origin is just a BF3 launcher for me and at the most will evolve into an EA games launcher for me, but that is it. If I had my way I would only be using Steam, but sadly I don’t see that happening with EA making their games Origin exclusive. Origin is indeed a sore point for me when buying games as I never look forward to having to use it.

Is this because it’s from EA? No, I couldn’t care less who’s system it is. I’m just not happy about having to use another system and especially because it’s a publisher specific system I doubt it will ever grow as big as Steam in terms of publishers on board. I’m afraid of what this might mean for other publishers: “Yes, it’s okay to force more crappy systems down their throats! EA did it and so can we!”

37. HothMonster says:

reply fail

38. Ultra-Humanite says:

I refuse to use Origin until EA learns how to treat their consumers like customers. And the last thing I’m going to do is allow EA to force me to use Origin with their clumsy tactic of attempting to strongarm me into using it.

39. deadly.by.design says:

Many or most of the people I know who don’t like Steam are gamers that aren’t very social with others. (I don’t mean that as an insult, but an observation of gaming habits) While it’s by no means a litmus test, my confidence in saying that rests in how great Steam is at connecting players who play games together.

I don’t even use an instant messenger program anymore — just Steam friends.

40. tehfish says:

For me, my reluctance really is 90% because it’s EA doing it.

Theres quite a few gaming companies i’d give the benefit of the doubt on and try an origin-like program, but not EA. They’ve done far too many negative things to gaming in the past for me to easily trust them on anything without giving me a damn good reason to do so.

So as it stands, my ME3 pre-order is cancelled.
    I’ll likely cave eventually and buy it even if they don’t put it on steam after launch, just because it’s a game i *must* play (been looking forwards to it since the ME2 release), but they’ve lost the extra money on a collectors edition from me at least.

41. CaspianRoach says:

Origin doesn’t offer regional prices like Steam does. There’s no 40% rouble discount like there is on Steam. I haven’t seen any big sales on Origin yet either. Steam is simply heaps cheaper for me atm.

42. Shooop says:

You’d have to be incredibly stupid to buy a game you can get completely DRM-free for less money elsewhere from EA’s spyware/store.

Obviously EA believes there are enough incredibly stupid people to turn a profit from this.

43. Metalhead9806 says:

I wont give a crap about EA’s Origin until they have sales that are comparable to Valve’s service.

44. Buemba says:

Origin is alright, though for some reason whenever I buy something in the client I have to manually input the cd key to add it to my collection since the “download now with Origin” button never works.

Still, if EA wants me to love them they better make a PC version of the new SSX.

45. scatterbrainless says:

It’s a fuzzy and imprecise word for my fuzzy and imprecise prejudices, but I think “trust” about sums up the Steam v. Origin debate in my eyes. Valve is a (relatively) small company, they produce games that are of top-notch quality and whose development ethic I feel I can agree with, they maintain great post-release support of their products, and communication with their gaming communities, and their hiring and workplaces practices (from what I’ve heard) clearly places quality of consumers’ experience as their top priority while eschewing a traditional, authoritarian business structure. Bring out the big ‘ol rubber Trust stamp.
    EA on the other hand produces a vast slather of games, some good, some representing the worst impulses in gaming, with the only discriminating factor seeming to be “make a buck”. Their EULA and account banning seem to indicate a contempt for their own customers. I don’t want to attribute “attitudes” or “feelings” too strongly to what is a massive, poly-sectional company, however I do think that they are SO large that their only unifying feature is a vast hunger for their profit margins, under which all talent and concern for quality is subsumed as useful, but ultimately secondary. Out comes the venomous tattoo-gun of Suspicion and Doom.
    Objectively there’s nothing Wrong or Bad about EA having and promoting their online platform, it’s just the old “feelings” screaming at me to run away.

• UW says:

Valve aren’t exactly squeaky clean here. There are plenty of stories of people’s Steam accounts being banned for odd reasons, and the responses from support being vague and unhelpful.

There’s also the whole “games as a service” thing that they’re pushing even though they use phrases like “you already OWN this game” all over the website, and the terms of service on Steam isn’t exactly a 30 second read in neat, coherent bullet-points.

46. Greengrassblueskies says:

Origin pricing is ridiculous in my region (double or more the prices in US dollars), but even if that did not deter me the thought of my game collection being at the mercy of EA would stop me in my tracks. They have a terrible track record for looking after their customers.

47. MultiVaC says:

Surprisingly enough it also seems that there are going to be Valve games on Impulse now:

It still requires Steam to play, though. Sort of a weird setup, would Impulse download the Steam cache for the game? The Steam client? Or are they just selling a key?

48. UW says:

I don’t resent Origin as a concept, but I don’t want to bloat my PC with a bunch of DD clients. It’s as simple as that. I already have Steam, I’m heavily invested in Steam, I’m too far gone to move to another service even if I wanted to. I don’t want to have to install Origin as well, so I flat out avoid Origin-only games.

• Shooop says:

I don’t think anyone really minds Origin as a concept because the concept’s the same as Steam. It’s its execution that’s so offensive.