Counter-Strike: The Office

By Craig Pearson on January 26th, 2012 at 4:54 pm.

Erin sits here. I love her.

Ooh, that’s Dwight’s desk! Remember when Jim filled his phone with coins, so it got incrementally heavier? When he took them out, Dwight hit himself in the face? And Pam’s old desk. I have a small confession: I like Erin a bit more… What? Hmm, sorry, I got a bit lost in fanboying over a video of a Counter-Strike: Source map that recreates the American version of The Office. Oh, that’s where Oscar, Angela and Kevin sit…

I do love a bit of re-creative creativity. Apparently this cost the mapper “500 hours playing and pausing episodes”, to get the feel of the Dunder-Mifflin Scranton branch. I’d say he’d captured Michael Scott’s old haunt rather neatly, even if I’m unlikely to ever play on it: I’m not about to go shooting up the place where Pam and Jim’s love blossomed.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. AbyssUK says:

Just like our office… full of Glocks

• mentor07825 says:

I see what you did there

• bear912 says:

That joke was pretty AWPful, to be honest.

• slick_101 says:

My god.These jokes are just SIGful.

• lurkalisk says:

Pun threads in general are… L96A1?

I don’t think this works.

• Craig Stern says:

That was just em-barrett-sing.

EDIT: Damn. That one isn’t in CS, is it? I was thinking of the old UT mod Strike Force. Well, whatever. Let’s pretend.

• Nick says:

I’m going to steyr straight ahead and pretend this isn’t happening.

• Zak T Duck says:

I C4 what you did and there was no defuse for a pun like that.

• Valvarexart says:

You won’t even AKnowledge his wit?

• Droopy The Dog says:

Looks like we’re on the cusp of another Elite pun thread.

• Devenger says:

Ladies and gentlemen, let’s aiM 4 A 1-derful variety of puns, however dangerously unreadable they get.

• Screamer says:

This is just fantArctic !

• The Godzilla Hunter says:

It would be knife if we could have one post without any puns.

• Gand says:

This avaliable to MAC Users? Or are they going to take the UMP?

• blivvy says:

i totally emp5athise with everyone getting tired of people scouting for ways to defuse this thread.

2. Oddballs says:

No you’re confused, that’s Kelly.

3. Rinox says:

Who are these people? Where’s Dawn?

• Gurrah says:

You are correct, sir!

• Smashbox says:

Yeah – wait… British people watch the American ‘Office’ …? As an American, I can say its much, much worse.

• DeanLearner says:

Out buying a bumbag. She’s doing it now because in america they’re called fanny packs. Out there fanny means arse…. not y’ minge.

*eats scotch egg*

• DeanLearner says:

American tramps sure are smart looking mister!

• mjig says:

In England everything means vagina.

• Love Albatross says:

@Smashbox

As an English I can say the American Office is, for the first 4-5 seasons at least, bloody brilliant. As good as, and better, in some ways than the UK original.

Anyone avoiding it because they think it’s a lame copy is some manner of cretin, it’s one of the best TV shows of recent times.

• noodlecake says:

Really? I should check it out but I watched the first series and it seemed like almost a direct copy, with american versions of the same stereotypes and all the characters seemed too in your face. It didn’t seem as subtle as it should be. Although I guess American people are probably less subtle. I found it hard to get into or relate to any of the characters.

• RogB says:

yeah but the American one doesnt have that irritating little turd Gervais, which is always a bonus.

• Shooop says:

Our take on The Office isn’t actually that bad Smashbox. It’s more like the first season of the original, focused on humor instead of the slow soul-crushing depression of the second and third. But it didn’t throw that out entirely either.

It’s one of the few good comedies we’ve had on prime time TV in the past decade or so.

• Smashbox says:

I suppose it isn’t that bad, I think maybe my soul has been crushed by the more recent seasons, though. There’s certainly something to be said for British Brevity.

Like: Why do all of the characters on the show, some of whom don’t even like each other, end up hanging out outside work all the time. It feels like a stretch. Also, there used to be a lot more subtlety even in the US version than there is now.

• Deston says:

As a person of the Britishy persuasion, I can honestly say The Office US is superior in every way to the short lived UK original. It started off near identical to ours, but after that they actually made a real go of it, fleshed out their characters, came up with some hilarious story lines and it all worked out very well.

Granted, it’s pretty much on its last legs now… it probably should have stopped with Michael Scott’s departure. But nevertheless, it’s one of my all-time favourite comedy series and deserves all the praise it gets. It has that same flavour of brutally awkward comedy you see in stuff like Peep Show, which is a very welcome change of pace for an otherwise very American series.

The yanks get full marks for not slapping a bloody stupid laughter track all over it too. I know the temptation must have been strong for them, but they stayed strong and resisted, and for that, they have my thanks.

• Shooop says:

Deston is exactly right, Micheal leaving was pretty much the climax. He finally did something completely against his own bloated sense of self-worth and narcissism. Perfect way to end the series.

And I sometimes mull over petitioning congress to ban laugh tracks. They’re completely obnoxious – is the general public too stupid to know when a joke’s been told? Then why are they watching the show and not spending all their time trying to figure out how the magic box with moving pictures works?

• Squiffy says:

To those people writing off the first season of the American Office as an exact replica of the British one – watch the second instead. Gervais and Merchant only got their ‘orrible mitts on the first season, and so it’s definitely got that vibe. Left to their own devices, the writers and cast make it completely their own from seasons 2-6. Reet good tele.

4. yhancik says:

They should have made it a Left4Dead map instead.

Anyway, where’s the BSP version of The Bureau?

5. Garnavis says:

I thought British people hated the American version or something.

• RogB says:

depends…Top Gear, yeah.

• lurkalisk says:

There are good ideas, there are bad ideas, and then there’s Top Gear US. I never asked for that…

• Shooop says:

The Office is one of the very, very few shows our writers haven’t completely butchered in adapting.

• SquareWheel says:

I’d say The Office and Whose Line are the two best British adoptions.

Afraid both are gone now though.

6. Gnoupi says:

I think I still have a map for CS, lost on my hd, representing my previous school (I dont even know who made it, it just happened to be shared at LANs).

It was actually quite realistic. Large halls. Boring to hell. The immersion was complete.

• Berzee says:

And you never got shot by crazed youths IRL?
      Uncanny.

• zaphod42 says:

Its actually pretty common, when you get into mapping, you want to map something you’re familiar with first, so there’s less guesswork and more just practicing using the tools.

Lots of mappers get started making maps in highschool. They don’t have access to expensive software, so they use the games they already have. And they use an environment they’re always in, so thats either their house, or their school.

I mapped out all of my highschool in CS for fun during a LAN party, and polished it up some after that.

It was pretty neat, fairly accurate, you could tell which room they all were.
      And it had nothing to do with CS. Its just that Source was the only real-time 3D engine we had access to.

Sadly, these days, you map up a highschool in CS and suddenly you’re in jail for planning a terrorist attack :( Seriously, I deleted my school map when I read that some student in some other school got arrested for mapping his school in CS, and when they found a wrench in his apartment they called it a lethal weapon and made up all this crap about him planning terrorism.

*Sigh*
      People who would give up personal freedoms and liberties for temporary security deserve neither. Ben Franklin said that.
      But you try telling anybody that after the wake of Columbine and 9/11…

7. Ricc says:

I got confused there for a while. Reading the tags helped.

8. Network Crayon says:

BEARS
    BEATS
    BATTLESTAR GALACTICA.

Oh also, can you go down to daryl’s warehouse? because that would actually make this a pretty awsome CS map.

9. Necroqubus says:

This isnt real. Dwight would not allow anyone to fingerless gloves in office. Still, love the idea.

10. Untruth says:

THIS IS. All kinds of awesome.

11. Bungle says:

I went looking for a download link and couldn’t find one. Did you get me excited about a CS map that isn’t even finished yet?