Death, Cut Your Fingernails: Darksiders II

By John Walker on January 26th, 2012 at 9:08 am.

You're bound to hurt someone with those.

I’m so tired this morning that if horseman Death came charged toward me, I’d limply reach out a hand to touch his scythe and embrace the sweet, sweet sleep that awaits. But fortunately he’s fictional, and I’ll wake up soon. He is, however, to feature in Darksiders II, and if you needed more proof than my word, there are screenshots of said game below. They’re new, and they’ve got big, cross monsters in them.

The game is currently set for a June release this year.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Deadly Habit says:

oh hell yeah! any new news on the warhammer mmo?

2. RiptoR says:

Worst… pun title… ever…

3. mrwout says:

Wait a minute,….Darksiders 2 ? Does that mean the first one was released for PC too ?

…google…

Oh I see, it totally is on PC…how did I mis that ?!?

………fires up Steam…..

4. noodlecake says:

I really wanted to like Darksiders but it there was something wrong with the art style. It reminded me of Iron Maiden and cheesy 80′s rock music or Guitar Hero and the general vibe of Neversoft’s games. Put me right off getting into the actual game, although I did try. This looks like they’ve kept with that same vibe.

5. Prime says:

I should really reinstall and finish the first game at some point. I got distracted away from it for some reason but I’ve always enjoyed these over-blown gothic combat fests. and I suppose it will do until another Legacy of Kain game is made.

• Xocrates says:

Given the current status of everyone who worked on the Legacy of Kain series, the chances of a new game are not only pretty low, but I suspect that if a new game is made we will end up wishing that it didn’t.

6. thealexfish says:

This is what Brutal Legend should have been. Eddie Riggs needs to make a cameo appearance.

7. mbp says:

Darksiders 1 got panned by reviewers because it is derivative of other games and the combat is too simplistic. However I am an action gaming noob and I loved it. The fact that I don’t need 11 fingers and my nose to pull off the best combos is a positive advantage to me.

• Chibithor says:

Panned? AFAIK it was received pretty well.

• Xocrates says:

Metacritic lists 18 reviews for the PC version, none of them negative. The Console boxes have about 8 mixed reviews and 70 positive ones. Even the user reviews skew heavily towards positive, and they are the ones that nitpicked the game to hell.

So yeah, the game was pretty well received. The “unoriginal” complaint came up a lot, but in a day and age where every other FPS is a COD clone it would be outright hypocritical to pan a game because of it.

• InternetBatman says:

I thought the critical consensus was much more fun than it had any right to be. It definitely was more fun than the sum of its parts.

8. LuNatic says:

Is it just me, or are all those monsters the same basic design with a thematic paint job?

9. FluffDaSheep says:

Darksiders is like a worse Zelda game with its spirit removed and replaced by sheer brooding.

I couldn’t invest in the story because humanity was dead, and because nothing the main characters did ever made any goddamn sense.

The art direction and gameplay were mediocre at best, good enough to finish the game and then make me wish I never touched it.

10. Davie says:

I thought the first game was a pretty fun hack-and-slash of a variety we don’t usually see on the PC. The plotline was silly and the art style looked like it was ripped from a late 90s Darkness comic, but it was fun nonetheless, so this might be worth having a poke at.

Although, Death: shave your head, buddy. That greasy metalhead hair just looks hilarious and not at all menacing.

• Diogo Ribeiro says:

“ripped from a late 90s Darkness comic”

Close enough, since the artist was Joe Madureira, who also worked for Image comics during the late ’90s.

• Kollega says:

*Crosses arms while doing the metal salute with both hands* YOUNGBLOOOOOOOOOOOD!!! YEAAAAAAAAAAAH!!! OVERSIZED POUCHES AND HUUUUUUUGE SHOULDERPADS! IT’S LIKE, TOTALLY RADICAL, MAAAAAAN!

Linkara is right in parodying this kind of thing. Never really liked such overblown style.

• Diogo Ribeiro says:

I don’t think there’s a day I spend without a nightmare involving Rob Liefeld’s “artwork”.

11. DestructibleEnvironments says:

When I played it on the consolebox, the last collectible item was bugged(something about a non-functional elevator). The last one! I needed that achievement, oh my god I needed it. So I have decided that I don’t like the Darksiders series.

PS: Mark Hamill was the only interesting character.

12. Danny says:

Death came swirling down, or so Bakker would say.

13. Hmm-Hmm. says:

(see screenshot nr. 5) That’s the second biggest hammer I’ve ever seen!

14. NothingFunny says:

Darksiders is a very good game which I enjoyed lots, recommend it to everyone who likes beatemups and action adventure games.
    Looking forward towards the sequel. Great art style that relies more on painted details than on all the mormalmapping and glows

15. cosmicolor says:

How is the PC version of Darksiders 1? Is it still as buggy as the Steam forums say it is?

• InternetBatman says:

It’s got some problems, especially with achievements. It hates alt-tabbing, and it’ll infrequently crash to desktop. It’s an acceptable amount of bugs basically.

• Snesso says:

I actually started playing it last week, and aside from one or two achievements not triggering, it seems to be perfectly fine. No crashes, no strange in game bugs or anything like that

• cosmicolor says:

Hrm, that’s just about acceptable if I can get it cheap. Hopefully it’s not horribly optimised on top of that or anything. might be a better idea to get it on console if that version’s totally bug free, but I want a chance at higher framerate :(

16. Craig Stern says:

So…Death is basically a less futuristic version of Fulgore from Killer Instinct?

17. Cyrus says:

Death is not exactly a looker is he?

Comment on this story