GOG Claims Agent 47 And JC Denton

By Craig Pearson on January 26th, 2012 at 1:37 pm.

If you squint, you can pretend it's Timothy Olyphant.
I understand that retail excitement and stealth aren’t all that compatible, so I’ll allow GOG.com the opportunity to loudly gloat over nabbing Square Enix’s (nee: Eidos) stealthy pair of classics. Both Hitman: Codename 47 and Deus Ex are waiting for your money in exchange for discreet but deadly dalliances.

They’re the stealthy vanguard that’ll issue forth the command to other classics from the Square Enix (nee: Eidos) catalogue of games to come forth and be cheap and compatible. Anyone wanting to hop into JC Denton’s patent leather brogues will have to pay $9.99, but because they need fewer polygons to render Agent 47′s bonce Hitman will only cost $5.99. That’s cheaper than Steam for both, FYI.

For fun, I’ve discovered the one of the original trailers for Hitman.

And behold the glory of a post-Millennial game press release. I love the use of quotation marks.

Hitman: Codename 47 is a revolutionary third-person action adventure that combines a strong mix of stealth, strategy and shooting.

Taking control of a ‘Hitman’, the player has to carry out ‘hits’ on a number of high-powered adversaries all set within intricately detailed 3D environments.
At first the ‘Hitman’ thinks he is carrying out orders for his usual underground agency, but in fact he is being used to clean up the traces of a genetic scientist’s revolutionary experiments of which the ‘Hitman’ himself was a prototype. As the game progresses, the player will start to piece his past together and realise that he is the next target.

Features:

· Advanced graphics engine allows the construction of some of the most intricate environments ever seen in a computer game.
· Over 80 individually modelled characters.
· Never seen before levels of interaction and physical manipulation of characters and objects.
· Advanced enemy AI. Foes can see, hear, speak, interact with environments and co-ordinate actions with other characters.
· More than 20 realistically modelled and textured locations that are architecturally correct.
· 3D Sound.
· Interactive music.

Interactive music? I don’t remember the level where I had to play the flute.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Moist says:

It’s worth noting that Deus Ex is the best video game ever made.

• Velvetmeds says:

Except it isn’t.

But it’s worth getting anywhere.

• Cooper says:

Maybe. In anycase these are both very strong games. However, I’d argue that, for players not familiar with either of them, that Hitman can stand up to today’s scrutiny, and remains a good game to play.

Deus Ex suffers from its own idiosyncracies, even if it is those idiosyncracies that make it the most amazingest bestest, wonderfullest games ever.

• woodsey says:

A brief remap of the controls (X for crouch? ] for weapon scopes? And other such madness), combined with an understanding that the game is NEVER saving when it tells you it’s ‘saving’, and any competent player should get along with Deus Ex just fine.

• povu says:

Have you guys seen the default Hitman: Codename 47 controls? They’re insane.

• Moist says:

Playing Deus Ex is brutally nostalgic. Imagine what gaming would have been if immersive simulation design had become the norm rather than the endless asinine shit that over and over again takes control away from the player and makes the idea of interactivity, by example, something people legitimately think is more or less as good as little or no interactivity. It’s not as if theories of interactivity needed to progress, already games designers were talking about emergence, ludo-narrative, non-linearity, player agency, choice and consequence etc. Deus Ex is a GAME, it’s the ultimate example of the ideas that were first expressed in Ultima and it’s the natural progression from Ultima Underworld. It’s a small piece of gaming where you can say that the designers (artists) creating this work were fully aware of the potential of gameplay and were capable of creating something that lived up to their hard work and passion.

• InternetBatman says:

It’s very, very good, but there are plenty I like better. Also, I remember originally being turned off hitman because of the controls, but I was much, much younger then.

• Kent says:

While it may not be the absolute best game of them all, which is really hard to point out – we can at least say that it’s the best RPG and FPS ever and call it a day.

• TheApologist says:

The OP is correct.

• Lujo says:

The OP is stating facts, not opinions.

• TooNu says:

Pro Deus Ex comments earn you a basket of fresh fruit from Craig, just mail him and ask and then depending on where you live it can take up to 2 weeks for your fresh fruit basket to arrive.

• LionsPhil says:

It’s true. Deus Ex 1 is the best game. Except for when the best game is System Shock 1 or Fallout 1. Or Full Throttle. But usually it’s Deus Ex 1.

• Tyrone Slothrop. says:

It is one of the best contenders (my second favourite game really). I did think Human Revolution is on par with it and exceeds it in many areas however.

• John P says:

As a followup to the best game ever made, Human Revolution is a disgrace.

• noobule says:

The DXHR devs were clearly able enough to realise all the various facets that made Deus Ex great. However, they all but completely failed to understand why these bits all worked so well. And admit of it had to do with Spector’s team not being a pack of cultureless weeaboos.

• povu says:

A disgrace with better voice acting, hacking and AI.

• nope says:

In my entirely objective opinion, Baldur’s Gate 2 holds the title of “Best Game Ever Made”.

• Contrafibularity says:

To put the OP’s post in some context; Deus Ex is the best game ever made.

2. Tusque D'Ivoire says:

You could play the flute to lure the rats out of their holes to kill them in the level in Hameln.

3. AmateurScience says:

Ooooh I wonder if this means that Final Fantasy VII’s PC port of yesteryear will be arriving on GoG at some point?

• Khemm says:

Probably. The PC ports had their drawbacks – worse music quality in FF7 for example – but those have been fixed a long time ago by mods.

• Moni says:

Oooh, yes!

What was the deal with it not being released on Steam in the first place. I remember they tried to, but probably some licensing deal prevented it. Could the same happen to GoG?

• InternetBatman says:

Probably. If they do rerelease it, they absolutely have to fix Chocobo races. The game stops there unless you use a tiny player patch, I seriously think it’s a few kilobytes.

• TheApologist says:

FF games are going for about £4 on PSN at the minute I think, in case you’re interested.

• sephiroth says:

I still have my PC copy of FFVII but as it crashes on the chocobo races on any OS since XP its been a while since I played that version. the slightly nicer resolution was nice but you can only play the first 15% or so of the game without the patch to skip the chocobo races.

said patch has other problems like making it impossible to get allot of the nicer materia and I seem to recal it makes some of the other sections crash so its currently unplayable on PC (last time I checked).

they really should fix it but it works fine on a PSx emu, and yes I have a genuine copy of the playstaion disks. hell with this user name you’d be supprised if I didn’t buy it legit on both formats wouldn’t you.

On Topic.
      Woot deus ex great game, might buy this copy as well (steam and original disk allready) as its just that good.
      Note to anyone trying it out for the first time, graphics are rubish always were but it can be fixed

4. Mr Gray says:

Denton! DENTON!…oh, jesus christ.

5. sinister agent says:

Hitman: Binocular King.

6. Wild_Marker says:

Also if you squint, you can pretend JC is Keanu Reeves.

7. Khemm says:

Awesome that Squeenix has joined. So, what can we expect?
    - Legacy of Kain
    - Tomb Raider
    - Thief
    - Omikron
    - Urban Chaos
    - Anachronox

It’s a shame that not all games from certain publishers actually show up on gog. For example, they have Warlords Battlecry 3 for sale, but no Battlecry 1-2 or Warlords 1-3. Why? I have no idea.

8. Kaira- says:

Right, where did I put my wallet? I guess it’s time to shed some weight and give all that excess fat to GOG.

9. mentor07825 says:

Even though I already have them on Steam, I would be interested in buying them again on GoG.

• Hodge says:

Yeah, especially since, in Deus Ex’s case at least, the Steam versions are annoyingly locked to the Steam client. Which makes no sense, as Deus Ex predated Steam by a good three or four years.

• mentor07825 says:

Pretty much this. But I’d also like to get my hands on the wallpapers and soundtracks and the like. Call me vain, but having a bitchin Deus Ex wallpaper would be so cool. And the soundtrack, in some scenes, is really something. One in particular that stands out to me is when JC Denton visits the cathedral. The light musical score with an underhint of the theme going in and out of tune was mesmorising.

10. max pain says:

Games today still list these as advanced features. Funny, innit?

• roryok says:

If you read the back of the box for halflife it talks about incredible enemy AI, and there’s a picture of a scripted sequence.

• Gnoupi says:

At that time, enemies actually hid behind cover, it was brand new!
      They threw grenades at you if you hid behind cover yourself, it was revolutionary!

Nowadays they jump out from their cover, a slowmo happens, so that you can kill them.

• Aemony says:

Half-Life had incredible AI. It was the first time ever enemy squads actually acted as a unified squad with coordinated attacks and retreats.

• Dys Does Dakka says:

Half Life’s soldier AI was amazing. I remember trading shots with a squad from a doorway into a big room. One of the soldiers suddenly went “I need suppressive fire!“, which was followed by a storm of bullets forcing me to stay put in cover. Then a grenade landed at my feet.
      AI: 1 – Player: OWNED.

The first FEAR had splendid squad AI as well.

• Khemm says:

HL1′s brilliance in terms of AI makes it all the more surprising the AI in HL2 was dumb as a brick.
      FEAR was the last FPS which had good AI unless I’ve missed something since then.

• ResonanceCascade says:

The Halos generally have good AI (though I haven’t played Reach), but other than that, FEAR really was the last game that impressed me.

• LionsPhil says:

Half-Life 1 also had its marines actually throw grenades in arcs with some degree of inaccuracy, which was hilarious when they clipped a piece of geometry and headed back their own way.

“GRENADE!”

Hell, I loved that they identified and moved away from grenades. You could use a quick one to dislocate them out of cover, but if you wanted a kill you’d have to cook it juuust right (and not bounce it back at your own feet).

11. airtekh says:

A shame I already own Deus Ex a few times over and I’m not really interested in Hitman.

If Gog could get versions of the Thief games that worked on modern OS’s though, I would buy them both instantly.

• mentor07825 says:

There are ways to get the first two Thief games working on modern operating systems and hardware. I remember reading a faq about it. Led me to the biggest fan site, installed a few patches, and then turned off all the cores except one when dealing with the Thief executable.

Took me an hour to figure it all out though when I first got the discs. It’s shameful that there isn’t official support for them and yet they package the CDs to the market as if there isn’t going to be a problem.

• ResonanceCascade says:

Yeah, the dark engine games are a bit tricky to get up and running. Fortunately, there are some really excellent step-by-steps out now, so it’s not too tough if you do everything in *exactly* the right order.

• Hidden_7 says:

Thief 1/Gold require a bit of “taffin’” (ho! I’m the best at this internet thing) about with a few different fixes, but for Thief 2, an enterprising and wonderful fan has created an all-in-one installer that just makes the thing work. It even installs the game for you, just pop in your discs and run it, it installs it, and all the fixes/updates you need/want. Having just made use of this the other day, and being on the third level in to my Thief 2 replay, I can fully vouch for it.
      Link: http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131106

12. MSJ says:

Come on, Anachronox!

13. TheApologist says:

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE A COMPATIBLE ANACHRONOX.

Sorry for shouting. But PLEEEEEEAAAASSSE

14. jack4cc says:

Yes. YES YES YES !
    And: Anachronox +1.

15. Cerebulon says:

This reminded me that Hitman: Contracts (Which is half CN47 remake, half extremely grim new contracts, all rather good. Basically adding all the nice stuff like stealth ratings to CN47′s missions while taking out the godawful action ones) cannot be sold on Steam and most likely anything else, including GOG, because in one mission (Rendezvous in Rotterdam) they used a licensed song in a biker bar and then the band, Clutch, refused to renew their agreement with the publisher, leaving a rather noticeable gap in the library.
    It could be a two way thing, of course. Clutch saying no and then Edios making no further effort to make the game sellable again.
    To rebuy the game on PC after having it on PS2 years ago I had to get one of those awful ‘gold edition’ things with the boxart shoved into the cover of a white logo-coated box and then a roughly 75% chance of the data on the disk being corrupted in some way or another.

16. Hmm-Hmm. says:

Still a shame that GOG doesn’t provide the mac versions. Whether it’s because they don’t have the expertise the emulate the original mac version or whether it’s something else entirely I don’t know.

17. ThaneSolus says:

Ya baby! Deus Ex, ones of the best PC games ever made. I love GOG!

18. Skabooga says:

Well, that’s another one to check on the list. So if GOG gets a hold of Grim Fandango and System Shock 2, it will officially be the best thing ever.

19. CMaster says:

The interesting thing about the HL1 AI is that it doesn’t play the game very well, and that’s what makes it so good.

The soldiers run around, then stop and fire while sighting. They evade grenades any way they can, and use cover in patchy ways. In HL2 and a lot of other games, the AI strafes about everywhere, just like the player, and uses grenades as an excuse to charge the player down more, and largely ignores cover. Most of these actually make the soldiers more effective, but less convincing.

20. dogsolitude_uk says:

Wow, on payday as well… That was good timing.

Now I’m going to enjoy that golden period of a few days between salary going in, and rent/bills going out even more thanks to GOG.

21. kud13 says:

well, I already own both on Steam, but Hitman refuses to play properly on Win 7.

hopefully it’ll work from GOG, and i’ll finally beat that goddamn harbour mission.

Also, fingers crossed for System Shock 2 and Urban chaos.

and i think there’s a patch to make Blood Omen run on newer systems… I don’t recall if I ever tried running it on my win 7, but that game has one of the best ambient soundtracks ever made.

• LionsPhil says:

The harbour mission is horrible. Goddamn.

At least the final one (I’ll save you spoilery details) can have its biggest bungle bypassed by a somewhat cheesy tactic.

22. malkav11 says:

It’s nice that they got Eidos on board. It would be nicer to get Eidos games that aren’t already sold on pretty much every other digital distributor known to mankind. I mean, Deus Ex is a classic, and Hitman is a classic series from 2 onwards, but I could and in fact already have gotten them elsewhere. Have been able to for years now. Thief 1, Thief 2, Anachronox, etc, -these- would be worth celebrating.

Comment on this story