In Your Face: New Warface Shots At Last

By John Walker on January 26th, 2012 at 9:56 am.

Shiny colours!

Blimey, it’s been a while since we saw anything of Warface. The last time we posted about Crytek’s free-to-play online shooter was in December 2010 when they released some footage. In fact, it’s been so long that some sites have only just noticed it exists. What has instead happened is Crytek have added three new screenshots to their site, although goodness knows when, and as you might imagine, they look very pretty.

Using CryEngine 3, it’s obviously going to be quite a striking looking game, and certainly likely to up the bar for free online games. In terms of graphics, at least. We’ve no idea how it will play. What we do know is that it’s primarily aimed at Asian markets, where such projects tend to prove a lot more popular. But we know there’s enormous international interest to play a new Crytek game, especially one that’s pushing the PC, and it will appear in the West too.

It also promises, “a vast and constantly updated PVE universe complete with dramatic co-op missions that reward teamwork and individual skill, and a full set of class-based PVP games for unmatched competitive play.” Which pleases me greatly.

There’s no fixed release date, but it says it should be out at some point this year. Whether that’s only in Asia at this point is unclear. Here are the new pics:

, , , , .

1. mondomau says:

Ugh, another online shooter.

‘It also promises, “a vast and constantly updated PVE universe complete with dramatic co-op missions that reward teamwork and individual skill, ‘

Oh, Ok, so now you have my attention. Will keep an eye out for this. I like the Mechs.
    Also, I wasn’t aware Asia was a considered a stronger market for online shooters?!

lurkalisk says:

It’s a stronger market for poorly made Korean pay2win CS clones. I guess that translates however they want it to.

kregg says:

It better not end up being one of those pay2win online games. *passes a dirty look at Battlefield Heroes*

• hench says:

Free 2 Play never bode well

• sneetch says:

Yeah, F2P kinda puts me off it, Battlefield Heroes was a daft exercise. Oh well, maybe this will be different.

• MisterT says:

Tribes: Ascend does F2P pretty well

• dsi1 says:

And when you compare it to previous Tribes games you see how much of a hindrance F2P is.

3. Spengbab says:

Well, at least its got its brown and gritty right, surely the 2 most important features of any game these days

4. rustybroomhandle says:

I see it fully utilises Muzzle-flash 2.1 shader technology.

5. Hoaxfish says:

The fat mech looks quite nice… the rest of it looks like any other dull current timeframe gunshoot game

6. MultiVaC says:

AAAAAAHHHHHH! That’s a war face!

7. asshibbitty says:

The Codemasters school of screenshottery.

Gap Gen says:

I love how they started out making a bog-standard contemporarycombat shooter, and then stood back and thought: “Something’s missing. I know! Mechs!”

8. Sergey Galyonkin says:

And a video with Russian subtitles http://youtu.be/drWGk5Mz_MI

• Shadow Aspect says:

That looks okay actually

• Steven Hutton says:

Hahaha, I take back all of my initial critical thoughts. That looks like great fun.

• Shooop says:

That… Doesn’t look too bad.

After the massive letdown of BF3′s spyware and “buy the whole set if you want to play with your friends” DLC this could be a contender.

Generic or not, we need a PVP multiplayer shooter to settle on for a year or so. Serious Sam is too niche for all but two or three of my friends.

Pansies.

• Eproxus says:

Look at the mini map. The level design looks way too linear. Reminds me of this.

9. jack4cc says:

Generic shooter meets console gameplay.

10. Ross Angus says:

John, I’m confused. You say “What we do know is that it’s primarily aimed at Asian markets, where such projects tend to prove a lot more popular.” I thought they were more into third-person in the East. I thought FPS’s were more of a western thing.

11. foda500orama says:

YOU DON’T SCARE ME, WORK ON THAT.

12. Blackcompany says:

Constant, dynamic PVE environments and a co-op online shooter interest me greatly. The main reason I am looking forward to Firefall and hoping it does not end up Vaporware.
    Very interested in the PVE, co-op aspect of this game. I fail to understand why there are not more such games available online in this day and age. Co-op games – and especially shooters – have proven their popularity. So why not more of this?
    As far as the competitive, PVP shooter thing…I just hope they are not depending on this aspect of the game to keep it alive. Given the number of shooters online focusing on this aspect of the game, well….good luck with that.

• Brun says:

Because a significant portion of the audience for modern shooters only plays the game for the competitive aspect. Console dudebros want to feel like they “owned” someone. It’s that chest-beating, alpha male mentality that drives 750 million people to buy the latest reskin of Call of Duty without recognizing it as the steaming pile of crap it is.

13. Snack says:

Warfacepalm at the photoshop doctored “screenshots”

14. luckyb0y says:

I think we should have a tag for bullshots.

15. Shortwave says:

I’m personally looking forward to any and every single Cryengine 3 game this year.
    And so are my crossfire 6950s. : )

I don’t even care if they suck as long as they are really, really shiny. >.< Sorry..

16. TsunamiWombat says:

I can’t be the only one who saw the robots, the way they put down claymores, or the medic paddels and thought “this is a clone of Battlefield 2142″

And frankly, the world could use more of those, so i’m down.

17. JayeRandom says:

The cooperative wall scaling shown here is an interesting thing. I don’t recall ever having seen that one done before.

18. Strangera says:

I don’t know about the first 2, but the last shot was shown around Gamescom ’11…