Conjured: The Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition

By Jim Rossignol on January 27th, 2012 at 8:12 am.

Enhancered!
One of our favourite things about CDP was the fact that they didn’t just give up on The Witcher and move on, they redid the voice acting and the animation, as well as fixing a whole buinch of bugs with their Enhanced Edition. They’re doing something similar with The Witcher 2, although this time the changes are more substantial, with new features and content. The big features are listed below, but include a load of entirely new locations and characters, extended the game significantly. GoG reports that anyone who purchases the game before the release of the Enhanced Edition (17th April) will get the upgrade for free.

New major adventures set in new locations. These consist of an underground system of chambers beneath Loc Muine and a temperate coniferous forest in the Loc Muine mountains, and a secret cave passage. These new adventures will add several hours of story-based gameplay to the game.

New major characters to the Witcher story. One of them is Brigida Papebrock Dame. This noble woman comes from the Temerian family Papebrock and is a 30 year old lady-in-waiting of the Temerian court. The other characters are secret–for now!

All new animations and cut scenes, including a new, three and a half minute pre-rendered cinematic depicting the assassination of King Demavend of Aedirn. BAFTA Award winner and Academy Award nominee Tomasz Baginski brings this key historical event to life, setting the stage for the story told in The Witcher 2.

Intriguing! And just in time for another playthrough, I think.

, , .

1. loshon says:

I never played Witcher 2 because I didn’t have the computer for it, but now that I’ve recently upgraded, once my life cools down I shall pick up a copy of this new super-woober edition and binge away.

• MattM says:

The combat was a bit clunky and the harder difficulties encouraged cheese, but I love the game for its world and story.
      The only way I could be the hardest two fights (against a character with all your abilities) was by making ~50 bombs and stun locking him in place with continuous bomb spam.

Matt_W says:

With some experimentation, you could figure out that the Yrden sign trapped your difficult bad guy and made the fight against him pretty trivial.

• DrGonzo says:

I hope they improve the combat. That’s whats kept me from playing. Everyone in the game is harder than Geralt, he’s right weakling. The only way he wins fights is by ‘gaming’ it and leaping around like a madman swinging at random. Occasionally teleporting 20 feet and cutting a guys head off in a disjointed cutscene.

They could learn a lot from Batman. Have a combat system that feels like you are connecting at the other end. As it is, it feels random, unpredictable and frustrating.

• DrGonzo says:

My reply got nommed. But essentially I said the combat is keeping me from getting into this game.

It’s random, unpredictable and frustrating. Needs to learn from Batman.

• MonolithicTentacledAbomination says:

You shouldn’t be fighting him, anyway. He’s just trying to get by, embroiled in a conflict bigger than he knew he was getting himself into. He and Geralt aren’t so different, and by fighting him, aren’t you then giving up your fabled witcher’s neutrality and taking a side?

• Drinking with Skeletons says:

Now to be fair, you do have to fight that enemy one time during Act I, and he is no slouch there, either. My recommendation: lower the difficulty for that fight. Honestly, it’s still pretty rough, but at least it’s doable.

• Baines says:

Geralt’s neutrality is a bit of an excuse, anyway. One of the characters in one of the books tears down the whole concept of Witcher neutrality, pretty much labeling it as an excuse to avoid committing to a side, and an excuse to dodge the responsibility for the consequences of their actions and inactions.

Of course, in the world of the Witcher, there isn’t really a best answer to anything. Things go bad and people die when Geralt sticks to his neutrality, and things still go bad and people die when Geralt breaks his neutrality.

• MonolithicTentacledAbomination says:

You are forced to fight him in Act I, yes, but if I remember correctly, I “won” that fight just by defending myself successfully for a certain amount of time. I don’t think it ended based upon me bringing his HP down to a certain %, unless it was via some damage over time effect or something.

• Drinking with Skeletons says:

@MonolithicTentacledAbomination: Really? I’ve played through the game twice now and the way it seemed to me was that you had to beat him. The conversation between him and Geralt seemed to be tied to his current health. I’ll have to try that out when I replay for the new content.

2. Baka says:

Do you have to buy it from GoG for the free update then?
    It’s high time I bought this game but I would want to look for a bargain first.

3. ahluka says:

Do you get it for free if you already bought it from them yonks ago? Anyway I agree, another play through is nigh.

4. ThaneSolus says:

nice, another Enhanced Edition, smart way to increase the life of the product, ill wait to see how much it will costs.

• Delusibeta says:

Knowing CD Projekt, the same as the non-enhanced version. I wouldn’t be too surprised if the phrase “before the release of the Enhanced Edition (17th April)” should get removed from this post.

5. paralipsis says:

I do like it when publishers make additional content free rather than nickel and diming customers for marginally useful DLC. I’ve certainly learned my lesson, and rarely purchase DLC for most games, but additional free content builds a positive reputation and makes me far more inclined to make day-one purchases from those developers/publishers in the future.

6. Juan Carlo says:

I wonder if it will get new reviews and a new entry on metacritic like the Witcher 1: EE did? Lots of critics re-reviewed “The Witcher” when the EE version came out.

The Witcher 2 has changed so much since it was released I have no doubt that it would have gotten way better reviews had it been reviewed in its present state. Not that its reviews were bad or anything on release, but there still seems to be a bit of a gap between how awesome I think this game is and what most critics thought of it.

7. CaspianRoach says:

Even though it’s a fancy way of releasing of what is basically a DLC, this sounds super sweet.

• mentor07825 says:

Can’t get more spiffy than free. Also, the content that has been listed, looks more like an expansion pack of old rather then DLC.

8. bitbot says:

Well, damn. I’m halfway through my second playthrough, just started chapter 2. Should I wait and restart?

9. Zarunil says:

Excellent. I got The Witcher 2 Digital Deluxe Edition for Christmas, but haven’t finished the first. This will give me time to do just that, and get the full Witcher 2 experience come april.

10. AlonePlusEasyTarget says:

I don’t have a fully capable machine to play this game in its full glory but with the way it turns out for them the past few months and with Enhanced Edition coming, I think I am obliged to buy this game.

Still waiting for some sale before the 17th April though.

• Gnoupi says:

I expect a “spring cleaning” Steam sale, so you should be good by then.

• Saarlaender39 says:

Well, I don`t know at what percentage you call it a sale, but GoG.com gives you a discount of 15% over the next two weeks (= €25,99 / $33,99). It`s definitely worth it.

Ninja Dodo says:

Nice!

I guess it’s too late for this but if there’s any one thing I think they should improve in Witcher 2 it’s to make the finishing/adrenaline moves part of the world instead of a mini-cutscene disconnected from where you are and what’s around you. Would feel more satisfying.

(though maybe this is something they’re including in the new animations)

12. Gnoupi says:

That’s surprising. I thought the 2.0 was already the “enhanced version”, in a way. Always nice to see that kind of support!

13. eightbitrobot says:

Maybe I should try and finish the first game.

14. Maxheadroom says:

I really tried to like these games. Bought both but could put no more than a couple of hours into each of them because the main character is just such a cocky, arrogant, womanising bell end.
    Honestly, he’s like a well spoken chav.

With the new content though I’ll give it 1 more try. I really want to like it

• phylum sinter says:

He is, kind of in the same way that Batman is… except with more super powers.

I think it’d be a bigger leap (of believability anyway) to take a character with supernatural abilities to still have all the expected human emotions. It is explained more in the beginning of the books how the Witcher came to be than in the game (so far in Witcher 2).

That said, i do agree with you, he’s far from the easiest guy in the world to like. I think the myriad complex events of the world keep me playing more than anything else. Play it for the story, it’s paramount to enjoying this game.

Rinox says:

I don’t want to sound like a douche, but if Geralt is already too much for you to take, I don’t think you could play the vast majority of games before passing out with annoyance. As far as AAA titles go, he’s actually a rather nuanced character.

15. nrvsNRG says:

several extra hours of story gameplay is just fantastic, and its FREE!!

P.S
    why on RPS, does it take me 2 clicks on my mouse back button to revert back to a previous page?
    at least its gone down to two,i think a couple of months ago it took 3 clicks?

• Bostec says:

This I would like to know too, it was 3 clicks a couple of months ago. I run firefox and have adblock plus, maybe that is the cause?

• The Tupper says:

Don’t suppose you chaps have Logitech Mx510 mouses?

• Bostec says:

I have a logitech M505 mouse. I’m not posh/smart enough to have/find a mouse browser back button, I do it manually. It strange, it just started up a few months ago, 3 clicks just to get back to the main page. its down to 2 now.

Oh and Tupper, i was meant to get back to you about the xbox 360 pad and flight simulator, turns out I uninstalled it and the discs went AWOL, missus and one of her ‘spring cleans’ sorry about that.

• The Tupper says:

Ha! It happens to the best of us – nice of you to remember.

If Mrs The Tupper felt obliged to ever spring clean I’d consider a few lost games well worth the trouble.

• nrvsNRG says:

its doing it on my Naga and my trusty MX518

• The Tupper says:

Well that buggers my pet theory. I’ll throw it on the teetering pile.

16. Spiny says:

Great! Glad I kept my saves :)

TheApologist says:

I never quite got round to Witcher 2 because I never quite finished up Witcher 1 – though I was enjoying it a lot. So, a reason to go back and finish Witcher 1 and to pony up for Witcher 2. Hurrah!

18. Duffin says:

Fucking love CDP. Witcher 2 was not quite the great game I expected it to be, it was very good, but not great. But with CDP’s attitude I have no doubt they will make some astonishing games in the future.

19. loGi says:

Where can I get this cheapest digitally? Really interested in this game but student budget didn’t give away until now.

Also registers on Steam would be awesome.

• UnravThreads says:

If you want the Steam version (why do you want to add DRM to a DRM-free game?), you have to get it from Steam.

GOG’s got it on offer now, but if you’re in the UK then you can order a retail copy of The Witcher 2.0 for £13 quite easily.

20. Chizu says:

We can already watch the rather nifty cutscene for Demavend’s assassination: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lO49RZq5HCk

I don’t think I’ll ever get over the size of Lethos arms.

This is awesome new though, I do love CDP.
    I should really finish my dark mode playthrough some time though…

21. Furtled says:

Best devs ever :)

22. Pemptus says:

Still no news of an attempt to fix the unwieldy inventory screen and the menu system in general? Sad sigh.

23. MichaelPalin says:

I wonder where do they found time for all this. For what I know, they were developing the Xbox version and then another two AAA project, all at the same time, and now this. I thought they were a small team.

• Schadenfreude says:

Could be a case that the content creator guys would have been scratching their arse with nothing to do whilst the programmers were busy code-bending.

This kind of free content release is great – gets everyone talking about it again and no doubt a fresh flurry of sales kick off.

• suibhne says:

This EE is the XBox 360 edition, fwiw. I mean, all the improvements and new content are baked into the 360 version; they’re only an “enhancement” for PC users. Except that we got the game a year early. ;)

24. Furius says:

Good old Witcher Geralt. I’ve missed him. Next article can we have a screenshot from somewhere other than that battle though? I didn’t enjoy that bit so much. I recommend something from The prologue or Act I.

25. kraii says:

Prodded me into finally buying it from GoG.. I was trying to finish the original first. Oh well

26. Burning Man says:

CDP does so much awesome stuff it’s kinda hard to knock them consistently.

The real problem, however is that I simply don’t like TW2 (-_-). Too damn dark. I actually wanted to stop playing the moment I encountered that pregnant elf concubine. They even leave the kid with her former lover. (o.o)

27. Tyrone Slothrop. says:

One of the best RPGs I’ve ever played and one of my favourite games ever made. I did think the final act needed more content and this seems to clearly rectify that issue. I actually wanted to replay the game in the last few days but am waiting on my friend to send me his Witcher 1 save as I changed hard-drives since I purchased the game and we made pretty much the same decisions.

Also, if this doesn’t give you chills, there is a physiological problem with you.

• Shooop says:

I prefer this one, mostly because the music is so much more fitting.

• Tyraa Rane says:

I still want to plant a kiss on whichever genius at CDProjekt picked one of my favorite Hedningarna tracks for the music in that trailer. (Hedningarna’s music in general is a perfect fit for The Witcher, actually. Works well with Skyrim, too.) The remix they did of it is absolutely brilliant as well.

• Network Crayon says:

Well as lovely and evokative as both those trailers are my favourite music/song attributed to this game is the chap in the seige towers song, whilst you follow foltest up the stairs.

Something about plowing and being drunk.

28. standardman says:

‘that anyone who purchases the game before the release of the Enhanced Edition (17th April) will get the upgrade for free.’

I like these guys.

29. Velvetmeds says:

Going to need a lot of enhancing for it to not suck donkey balls again.

30. Kleppy says:

I wonder if it’ll actually be fun this time around.

PoulWrist says:

I think you need humor to find things amusing. Pretty sure that while they’re quite talented developers they can’t patch that in to you.

31. Iskariot says:

To be honest this is why I still have not bought The Witcher 2.
    I bought the first Witcher game twice: normal and enhanced. I expected the same thing would happen with The Witcher 2, so I will wait patiently.
    The fact that I will get the upgrade for free if I buy the Witcher 2 before April does not convince me. I will just wait another six months until I can buy the complete and final retail release in December or the first halve of 2013, perhaps even with a substantial discount.

• foda500orama says:

From what I gathered from their press conference, you won’t be able to buy anything other than the Enhanced Edition after April 17.

• chackosan says:

What? The Enhanced Edition was a free upgrade for the first Witcher, so I’m not entirely sure why you had to buy it a second time. I assume the same is true for TW2.

32. WhataShame says:

So wait. If I already own the game on Steam, do I get this Enhanced Edition for free – essentially a patch, or do I have to pay for it like some kind of DLC or something?

33. Shooop says:

Just in time, I’m starting to see the seems in Skyrim.

34. zairekaboom says:

Now I’m happy I have Roche’s path unplayed.

• Arcanon says:

I kept Roche’s path for the second playthrough as well…..the story isn’t quite as good as Iorveth’s, but it has big emotional moments and a much more interesting Act 3.

jaheira says:

Why the hell do you have to play this game twice to see all the stuff?

• Vinraith says:

@Jaheira

Because it’s not a movie or a Call of Duty “game?” Seriously, the Witcher series is too linear as it is, complaining about what few forks it has is complete madness.

jaheira says:

@Vinraith
      “Forks” as you call them (I’m assuming you’re not talking about cutlery) are weirdly over-rated. If you want to give the player an impression he’s changing the story line then do it with writing, don’t put a load of content in that people are only going to see if they play the game twice. That’s a sledgehammer/nut interaction scenario.
      IMO the whole notion of “choice and consequence” is bullshit. You can’t put anything like enough choices in. If you’re going to do a story game just tell me the story.

• Arcanon says:

@jaheira

I really tried to understand what you are saying, but I just can’t.

• Drinking with Skeletons says:

@Jaheira: I kind of understand what you’re saying, in the sense that this is a title in which it is very possible to not get satisfactory answers to all of your questions without playing through at least twice (I didn’t understand where the dragon fit into anything until my second playthrough, for example), which isn’t quite the same as simply having different outcomes. Dragon Age: Origins provides satisfying and meaningful choices without locking away important information, for example. And “meaningful” becomes kind of moot in a series with an overarching plot. All of the different choices that Geralt makes in the second game will be mostly explained away or irrelevant when the third game rolls around, simply because there’s only so much the devs can realistically do.

My bigger gripe is with games that have mechanics tied into plot consequences. Haven’t gotten around to playing it yet, but I’ve heard InFamous is a good example of that: most of the abilities are tied into being good or evil, which means you can’t get a complete sense of gameplay options without playing the game twice. The Witcher is an RPG (and you can’t get everything by the end, naturally) but your gameplay experience isn’t arbitrarily gated by the plot.

Oh, and Roche’s path is much better than Iorveth’s, which leans way too far into the cliched high-fantasy end of the spectrum for the tone the game sets at the beginning. Also, Act I gives you no good reason to side with Iorveth: he’s incredibly antagonistic towards Geralt, and doesn’t soften up until long after you’ve sided with him. It’s kind of like the criticism leveled at Skyrim that it makes little sense to side with the Imperials at Helgen (unless in the heat of the moment you didn’t even realize that following the Stormcloak was an option, which is what happened to me).

35. grimskin says:

*Sigh*
    Bought Witcher 2 on the sale but still haven’t tried it yet. And now they’e releasing enhanced edition. Why just not make it DLC ?

UPD: Ah, stupid me, missed the part that says that it will be a free upgrade. Thats more than a relief – those guys just keep being incredibly awesome.

• Drinking with Skeletons says:

Not just free, but available as a manual download that you can install at your leisure. So much nicer than going through some byzantine service.

PoulWrist says:

I still haven’t played through anything but the first bit of the swamp city, because I upgraded my monitor and couldn’t play at max anymore, and Witcher 2 is a game that demands max. So I’m biding my time to upgrade my GPU, this paltry old 5870 only handles 95% of games now at 2560×1440! Outrage, it’s only 2 years old! Oh wait… still extremely powerful if I only could’ve stayed at 1920×1200 :( but I couldn’t!

But, delightful! I’ll get to do a playthrough of the game they really wanted to make :D Hope the console peasants get the same experience from this EE from the start :) Can’t be anything but the greatest story-intensive RPG on those boxes ever.

• Drinking with Skeletons says:

I fiddled and fiddled and fiddled with settings, and you know what I was happiest with? Windowed mode. Let me play the game at max settings with great frame rates by just lowering the resolution a notch or two.

37. Carr0t says:

Awesome sauce. I got The Witcher and The Witcher 2 when they were on offer (£14.99 for the double pack) on GoG over Christmas. Barely scratched the surface of The Witcher and not even installed the sequel as i also got Skyrim off Steam. This should come out just in time for me to be wanting to play it, and maybe by then i’ll have a PC that could run it on anything but the lowest settings as well.

*rubs hands with glee*

38. Drinking with Skeletons says:

It sounds like they’re using this as an opportunity to flesh out Act III which, for my money, was fine to begin with. Yes, it was short, but it was also the climax of the game, and it’s the rare game that really forced you to make some super tough choices. Depending on what you did, you might not have every question answered in a satisfactory way. And the best part was that by using a big political meeting the forced choice didn’t seem contrived!

39. JonathanStrange says:

So are we allowed to like CDP and The Witcher now or are we all still supposed to be all boo hiss at them over the piracy thing? Because just a little while ago if the comments were anything to go by they were evil blackmailing twisted bastards yet now everyone seems to be all lovey with em.

Bah, whatever. Glad to learn the developers are still hard at work supporting their game and I wish them the best of luck with their 360 version. Witcher 2 deserves to do well regardless of the platform.

• Tengil says:

I don’t really care about the piracy thing but most reviewers have been cutting CD Projekt way too much slack when it comes to the relentless misogyny and and homophobia in TW2

• JonathanStrange says:

Misogyny I can see, I don’t necessarily agree seeing as it’s more a symptom of the setting and story rather than any nefarious intentions by the developers, but I can see it. Homophobia however? I can’t think of anything the game did which was particularly offensive in that regard. Perhaps I simply missed it however.

Nevertheless the Dark Ages weren’t exactly a time of peace and understanding and while Witcher 2′s setting is fictional, it’s much more grounded in reality than most fantasy and certainly more than any other fantasy games which come to mind right now. That Witcher 2 still boasts a cast of strong female characters despite facing this adversity; Triss, Ves, Saskia, Sile, etc, I’d say actually speaks volumes.

• UnravThreads says:

How is The Witcher misogynist? I’d say it’s actually a fairly gender-neutral world. You have strong males and strong females – heck, look at the women in Geralt’s life: Triss, Yennifer, Shani (well, sort of), Princess whatsherface – even Carmen in The Witcher 1 could be considered a strong female character. OK, yes, there’s a few veins of anti-women stuff… but there’s also anti-male in there in equal measures, I’d say.

And the males hardly get off, either. In TW1 half of them are fat, slobbish dumbasses, some are tall, thin and lanky, some are fat merchants and the rest are all slimier than agitated hagfish.

Sapkowski’s world isn’t happy or bright at all.

Edit: In other words, wot he above me said.

• RegisteredUser says:

“they were evil blackmailing twisted bastards”

They still are. They likely just figured they can maximize sales better without the stigma now that the initial cashflow and fuck-the-evil-pirates phase has come and gone.

They still hold a firm “If you dare to pirate, you deserve to fuck off and die” stance despite all arguments around it.

They’re still not “nice people” by a long shot regarding the issue, let alone goody-twoshoes, and in my eyes, having encouraged, propagated, and engaged in (potential)customer/consumer suing doesn’t go away from your reputation just because you stopped doing it for now.

I don’t trust them or their “good intentions” is what I am trying to say. And I still won’t financially support them. In my eyes they are still law system abusers and not to be trusted.
      I am giving my money to DRM free, non-suing indie bundles/games instead(eagerly awaiting HIB 5).