Magic: DiRT Showdown’s Nevada 8 Ball

By Jim Rossignol on January 27th, 2012 at 12:36 pm.

Cars like to chase a ball.
May will see the highly-evolved dust-and-mud particles of a new Dirt game being thrown up onto our screens. This one is called Showdown, and is as glitzy and noisy as any off-road racing game could possibly have any right to be. As we mentioned previously Showdown is more of a spin off from the main series than a genuine sequel, and will be less focused on the traditional racing and more on destruction and the alarming things that happen with cars crash into each other, or static objects. So that should be entertaining. The trailer below shows something called Nevada 8 Ball, which seems to involve large American cars coming to a sticky end.

Here it is with fashionable music and fireworks, two key ingredients to racing motor-vehicles:

*Sips tea from Thermos flask and thinks wistfully about the golden age of rallying in the Welsh mountains.*

, .

1. Matt says:

That trailer bears an uncanny resemblance to my driving style in the “land raid” events of Dirt 2.

Monchberter says:

I’d say it’s more a salvaging of the destruction derby event from the long lost (and much loved) GRID.

I can see why they’re resurrecting it as it was by far the best on-line multi player mode in that game and absolutely hilarious fun. I think my Team Fortress 2 clan even had a dedicated GRID group just for that mode!

http://youtu.be/bp3wFmddxd8 Here’s the original destruction Derby. great, but limited to about three tracks in GRID. An extension could be pretty good!

• pmanpman says:

Destruction Derby in GRID sucked balls….I’m winning, I’m winning, I’m winning…the guy in last just drove through me :(

Faldrath says:

First I need to know whether half of the game will be devoted to those horrid gymkhana/drifting events from the previous games… if that’s not the case, then I’ll consider buying it.

Oh, and hoping that it won’t use GfWL. I’m still annoyed that I couldn’t get the rally stages DLC for Dirt3 because Microsoft won’t sell it in Brazil for some reason.

3. airtekh says:

Another Dirt game? Awesome.

I just finished playing with Dirt 3 and it was brilliant, definitely looking forward to this one.

4. Jams O'Donnell says:

I want Grid 2, not more Dirt!

Also, I really need to sink my teeth into Dirt 3. I got it free with a video card last summer, and have barely touched it despite loving Dirt and Dirt 2.

5. Chizu says:

So its Dirt pretending its Flatout?
    Colour me interested. Though I’ll miss teh rally stages, for they were the best.
    Also Gymkhana sucked, please Codies, stop that.

• siegarettes says:

Its sad because that was one of the things I thought sounded interesting before release. When I actually played it however…

I don’t ever want to do that again.

6. Heliocentric says:

Really enjoyed grid, especially the Japanese 2 car mountain races online (rip online support), dirt 2 added less good gfwl support, but the multi player was snapper and seemed to expose you to a much wider range of content. Played dirt 3 on on live and it bored the syrup out of me.

Er… Yay more dirt?

7. RyuRanX says:

Argh! But thanks to Showdownthere’s a chance for Dirt 4 to be a full rally game.

• joel4565 says:

I hope that you are right. I loved Dirt 3′s rally events, and I loathed the gymkhana & drifting events.

The only solution I could find was play the rallies on expert difficulty and the gymkhana & drifting events on easy so that they would be over quickly.

8. CaspianRoach says:

I don’t know, the trailer looks pretty sterile to me. Not enough debris and wet dirt everywhere.

9. performedbeef says:

Hooray! I’m almost ashamed to say that one of my favorite events from GRID was the demolition derby. It was available at one location and allowed only one vehicle, but the crossover track and constant collisions made such great use of the shiny new replay technology.

• Gerbick says:

It’s my fav stage too. Hopefully Showdown will be just as good x2.

Hodge says:

Magic Dirt? I don’t see why not.

11. LennyLeonardo says:

Why do the cars have firey nostrils?

12. realmenhuntinpacks says:

Sweet Jesus Jimothy! Was that a Magic Dirt reference?

13. ZIGS says:

Look at the screen at the end of the video. No GFWL logo in sight and instead a Steam logo. Does this means Codemaster’s will finally ditch GFWL in favor of Steamworks?

14. Jason Moyer says:

Does this mean the proper DiRT games will actually focus on racing now? Maybe they could just stuff DiRT 1 into the DiRT 3 engine and call it a day.

15. dsi1 says:

It’s not a rally game but we really need a proper ‘next gen’ Destruction Derby game, so I’m all for this. (and a rally game too Codemasters!)