Pineapple Smash Crew Coming To Steam

By Adam Smith on January 27th, 2012 at 5:13 pm.

This is a moderate amount of explosions
You may remember Pineapple Smash Crew as the game that reminded us of Alien Breed, Cannon Fodder and other fun things. It was our pick of the indie games at the Eurogamer Expo last year and today Rich Edwards sends news that all the explodey jollity is coming to Steam on February 2nd, with a Desura release also in the works. For more of our thoughts on the game and an interview with Rich click here, or watch the trailer below and bop along merrily to the music within.

Can the quality of a game be ascertained by the variety of grenade types contained therein? Maybe so, maybe so. What this does prove is that desirable indie games that we go on about sometimes do exist outside our imaginations!

, , .

1. Vandalbarg says:

Reminds me quite a bit of Silent Bomber, which is a good thing.

2. PatrickSwayze says:

Instabuy! That looks like awesome fun, plus, particles make everything better.

I do think one of the soldiers should be called Swayze though

3. zairekaboom says:

Looks like a fun game, but the acceleration and deceleration of movement seems to happen too slowly? I want precise controls in games like these.

• RichMakeGame says:

What happens is the lead character moves very closely to your control and the following 3 lag behind very slightly- all I can say is it feels nice to me how it’s balanced, but I’ll certainly listen to the players if they disagree :)

cheers!
      -rich

• zairekaboom says:

Yeah, now that I followed the player character more closely, it does look better. Thanks for your input!

• HermitUK says:

It felt pretty precise at Eurogamer. Certainly didn’t find myself skidding into enemies or anything of the sort. Glad this is finally getting a release :D

4. Kollega says:

To quote one of Ratchet’s lines from R&C1: “Whoa, this is great!”. I think i’ll be buying it. I might buy it on Desura if more money goes to the developer there, but… we’ll see.

5. Belsameth says:

Instabuy! I loved Cannon Fodder! \o/

6. Adriaan says:

Awesome! It was cool kind of following this in development on Polycount and great to see it become a succes now! I’ll definitely buy it on Steam.

7. VirtualNinjas says:

The way the explosions work in this game is really cool.

8. mrtypo says:

Mr Rich Sir: Yes please!

Three questions:
    1) Is it possible to split the crew up (ala Cannon Fodder)?
    2) Will there still be a demo (I noticed in interview back in September you mentioned one)? If not:
    3) Will it work with crappy intel integrated graphics?

• RichMakeGame says:

1- nope there’s no splitting mechanic, but I’ll explain why- I began the prototype with it in as a feature, and it was kind of cool but it also really slowed down the pace of the game, much more than the idea in my head that I wanted. So, I was sad to cut it but I made the decision to make an action game and I think it turned out for the better, it flows so much more. If you’re curious, there’s an extremely early prototype vid with squad splitting over here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOuNY0pYrOw

2- not initially, but I would like to make one after release.

3- I don’t want to promise you in case your specific setup is different, but the game has run well on some pretty low-spec machines, so I’m hopeful.. but no guarantee!

• mrtypo says:

Thanks for the video, I think a part of me wants every game to be Cannon Fodder but I agree that that mechanic doesn’t really work in your game.

Roll on February!

9. deadly.by.design says:

Does this offer local co-op? It looks just like one player w/ control over the four.

And if not, can anyone recommend other good co-op games? You know the kind you might like to have around when a friend or three are around your PC. (Jamestown has been fun for that)

• RichMakeGame says:

No co-op- I would have loved to but thats a little too ambitious for my first solo project. If you haven’t already checked out Alien Swarm, you should :)

10. Coxswain says:

The more I look at this the more the environmental art style reminds me a bit of the megaman legends games – i highly approve.

Pretty excited about this game.

• MoeGreen says:

Good call, Coxswain! I was wondering what the graphic style reminded me of and you are exactly right.

I look forward to purchasing this because I enjoy Robotron-alikes. I remember playing the original in the shopping mall Arcade as a child. I do wish this had coop, but I understand.

11. El Mariachi says:

“Over 11 grenade types!” So… 12 grenade types?

• RichMakeGame says:

13- lucky for some :) I didn’t want to quote a specific number because may update with more- depends on what sort of feedback I get

12. Raiyne says:

Looks like great fun! I love the graphics!

P.S. Cannon Fodder was awesome.

13. SuperNashwanPower says:

My mother uses the word ‘bop’.
    It is clear from the evidence that my mother is secretly a games journalist by the name of Adam Smith.