Orbitron: Revolution To Encircle The PC

By Jim Rossignol on January 28th, 2012 at 9:58 am.

Blue notes that Firebase’s exquisite scrolling shooter Orbitron: Revolution is making its way to the PC system for explosions and fun times. There’s no date yet, but the devs boasts that they have the PC version running at 60fps at 1920×1080. That is moderately fast! Like an elite frame-rate making game thing, or something. What? It is early on Saturday. Look: Orbitron: Revolution, which has already appeared on the console boxes for some reason, is a very pretty curved Defender/Uridium sort of thing going on. Those are things we like.

, .

1. Spengbab says:

So what are they saying? That they made a videogame that runs at a certain number of FPS at a certain width and height?

Also, I dont get the screenshots. Even a look on the developer’s site doesnt explain much…

“Orbitron: Revolution is a classic styled 2.5d scrolling shoot em up for the Xbox 360. The game has been developed on the Microsoft XNA 4.0 platform using Synapse Gaming’s Sunburn 2.0 rendering engine. Orbitron: Revolution was entered into Microsoft’s Dream Build Play 2011 competition where it took a spot with the top 20 semi finalists from more than 200 game entries!”

Are you sure this is a videogame?

Llewyn says:

Ah, Uridium. Ah, nostalgia. Oh for the days when Andrew Braybrook’s moustache wasn’t a thing of comedy. Actually, I’m not sure those days ever existed…

3. neems says:

Hang on, does this game scroll from right to left? Heresy! I’m not even sure my mind can process the concept.

Mind you, was Uridium the one where you flew back and forth over an enemy carrier, and you could change your direction of flight?

4. Shortwave says:

I hate to have to say this but.. And yes, you have the right to totally bash me for saying this.
    “60fps at 1920×1080″ -AT- (Or why even say that for that matter? Should go without saying… Well, till’ I installed C&C3 TW and realized it’s locked at.. 30fps..)
    Okay, sure I’ve accepted the fact some games just don’t do eyefinity, cool.. Fine. (Yes I have it)
    But please, if this game is LIMITED to 60fps, I won’t buy it. I have 120hz monitors for a reason.
    60fps makes me get headaches and want to vomit. I honestly wish I was bullshitting you guys.
    And I find it hard pressed that crossfired 6950s, or one alone couldn’t easily handle 60fps.. >.<
    You know, seeing as how I play every game that exists above usually at least around 80fps.
    Which is the point of which my eyes stop screaming bloody murder at me.

So please Devs, don't do something silly like locking the game at 60fps.
    I realize I might be taking that short quote too far.. But the way it's worded worried me..

I'll insta buy this game if that's not the case. Oh, and no sneaky stupid DRM nonsense…

Other than that, this looks awesome and I look forward to plugging in my 360 controller and getting old school.

• Zeewolf says:

I would expect them to support higher refresh rates than 60hz. I have the same problem with refresh rates, which is why I use Refreshlock for games that misbehave, but the amount of frames per second doesn’t have any effect on me.

Anyway, my monitor won’t support any of the resolutions this game offers (from 1280×720 and up to 1920×1200 according to their site) so I won’t be able to play. Looks good, though.

jrodman says:

I have a very stupid question:

60hz gives you real headaches, not just looks like ass to you?

It just seems odd to me, having grown up with high-persistance liquid-smooth scrolling 50hz amiga games, that a specific refresh rate like 60hz could cause nausea. I somehow suspect it’s an interaction of refresh and display technologies? Or no?

• sidhellfire says:

@Shortwave You’re using CRT monitors or are you somewhat “special” that you can’t stand playing on 60fps?
      Seriously, I’ve spend whole my childhood in way worse conditions. Gamers these games are grown pussies.

• Shortwave says:

jrodman,
      Both. At 80- fps games sort of seems like they are constantly micro-stuttering to me.
      And trust me, I was also baffled.
      My only theory is that I was used to CRT monitors (But at the time didn’t ever think about FPS)
      Then there was a year or two in my life where I had no games or computers n’ stuff.
      When I got back into it LCD technology was introduced and YAY COOL FLAT SCREEN.
      And think maybe gradually maybe growing up with CRT then going to LCD sort of messed my eyes.
      Which I guess sounds stupid since a billion people don’t seem to be effected.. It’s just my best theory..

sidhellfire.
      Right, I’ve been gaming since I got a Macintosh in the 1980s.
      Played through every generation of every console.
      So “these days” I don’t think should apply to me. : P

Never did I have a problem with this till’ about a year ago.
      Whenever I played any game I would instantly start feeling sick, couldn’t focus my eyes.
      My K/D dropped like 80% and I just couldn’t do it anymore.
      I started noticing just, a slight jitteringness to everything and I thought maybe was my monitor doing something weird, messing up. micro-stuttering (But in every game) I had no idea. So I went out and bought, then returned like 10 monitors and HDTVs with no success (That was a very, very long week..), I decided to try to get the BenQ XL2410T LED 120htz monitor as a LAST resort. I was about ready to admit defeat and stop gaming.. Which honestly terrified me. And as soon as I hit a true 80+ fps my eyes were just, fine.. I really can’t explain it scientifically or medically but it’s the truth.

• Shortwave says:

I honestly never heard RefreshLock before Zeewolf, thanks a lot man.
      This looks amazing, thanks for the knowledge.

• Zeewolf says:

I can’t even look at a monitor running at 60hz, it’s so bad that I have to squint and genuinely feel the need to cover my eyes while trying to set the refresh rate right. Five minutes of that and my brain is dead for the day.

I don’t think it was always like that. I didn’t know about refresh rates before. I’ve been gaming and using computers since the 80s, no problems. So I guess those who go “haha weaklings are you stupid or what” should just be glad this hasn’t happened to them. And hope it doesn’t.

• Shortwave says:

Amen, I’ve never met anyone else with this problem till’ now. HA.
      YOU ARE NOT ALONE! (Old punk quote.. Heh.)

Maybe it genuinely does have something to do with how long we’ve been gaming.
      Which would be funny. >.<

• Raiyan 1.0 says:

Are you guys sure you’re not mixing up refresh rate (Hz) with frame rate (FPS)?

I honestly can’t fathom how 60 FPS might give someone a headache.

• lowscore says:

@ Shortwave: actually, perceived stuttering is caused by repeating frames. A game running at a constant 60fps on a 60 Hz display has no repeated frames, and has smooth, uninterrupted motion/scrolling. That’s why 30fps looks jittery: it stutters 30 times per second because every frame is repeated twice.

But running a game at a framerate of 80 to 90 fps on a 120 Hz display has 40 to 30 stutters per second too. Sure, the ‘jump’ between the current frame and the next will not be as big, but it will still stutter. Only a constant framerate of 120 will look smooth in motion on a 120 Hz display.

Thus, higher frames per second are not, per sé, better.

Yes, a locked (as in never below or above than) 120 fps on 120 Hz will look even smoother than a locked 60fps on 60 Hz. But 85 fps on 120 Hz will look worse than a locked 60 fps on 60Hz because it’ll stutter 35 time per second. Unless you set the refresh rate to 85 Hz. Only then it’s 120 > 85 > 60.

But I understand that every set of eyes work differently, so you might ‘experience’ these fenomenon differently too.

• Shortwave says:

Interesting information, thanks for that.
      I did actually learn something! Ha.
      But as I said.. I’m left struggling for a reason for this also.
      Plus, it was a great excuse to buy a second GPU. HAHA!

I feel like we should of taken this convo somewhere else..
      Sorry RPS..

BACK TO ORBITRON.

• Zeewolf says:

Rayan: I know, for me it’s the refresh rate that causes problems, not the fps.

Lowscore: It’s not that, my problem is not specific to games. I can’t look at a monitor displaying a still image if it’s running at 60hz. I often compare it to looking at an old fluorescent lamp, you notice a sort of flicker effect that’s kinda uncomfortable. It’s that times a hundred.

Shortwave: I wouldn’t be surprised if a long life of staring at screens of various quality has something to do with it…

• johnpeat says:

When Shortwave talks about nausea and headaches he’s right because he’s suffering from a well known condition…

It’s called PCGamer Bragitis (Latin name Nerdus ShowOffittus) and the only treatment is to ignore his bullshit…

• Synesthesia says:

i guess you cant go to the movies either, huh? Those 24 fps are a REAL eye sore. God.

• Shortwave says:

No, only in 3D games usually.

5. Raiyan 1.0 says:

Now I get it! I couldn’t make any sense of it since I kept searching for the ship on the left side!

6. foda500orama says:

No 2560×1440?

Rubbish.

7. johnpeat says:

I tried the demo for this on 360 last night and all I can say is that the least of your worries is the FPS…