The RPS Bargain Bucket: Thing Thing

By Lewie Procter on January 28th, 2012 at 11:03 am.

Edit: Nearly forgot! Saint’s Row: The Third for £11.99. Apply coupon “pcgamer20″, registers on Steam. Go get.

Here’s your cheap games for this fine weekend. We’ve got games about shooting things, games about telling little men to shoot things, and even games not about shooting things. All bases covered then. For cut priced games pumped into your browser windows around the clock, SavyGamer.co.uk is the website you’re looking for. Bucket go!

Serious Sam 3: BFE for the cheaps
Registers on Steam.
GetGames website is acting a bit funny for me. It’s not letting me add the regular version of Serious Sam 3: BFE to my basket, but it is also displaying the Seriously Digital Edition for the same price (£10.19/€13.59/$13.59, I think erroneously). Just me, or is it playing up for everyone else? Here’s Wot Alec thought:

it doesn’t get lost in its own joke, it is nothing short of magnificent in its destruction and its technology and it is absolutely, 100% dumb. It is sad, in a way, that it took Serious Sam coming back and doing more or less the same thing, but bigger, louder, crazier, to remind us once again of why we really play first-person shooters, and what wonderful, ridiculous sights and sensation games which are about placing a reticule over things and pressing fire can achieve if only they were honest about their own, gloriously stupid, testosteroneal nature. We don’t seem capable of learning Sam’s lesson for long – but, as before, it’s one you can be damn sure you’ll love hearing. Essential, glorious, braindead, monstrous: Sam as he ever was, and quite frankly we need him more now than ever.

But it’s not just BFE that’s available for cheap, there’s still some time left on the Indie Royale Serious Sam Lightning pack, including all the games from the Serious Sam Indie Series, and the original First & Second Encounter.
Disclaimer: I work for Indie Royale/IndieGames.com.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution – £8.99/€14.99/$14.99
Registers on Steam.
This was a quid cheaper last week, but I think a few people chose not to get it because GAME took more than 48 hours to send out serials to lots of people. £9 is still a great deal, and they’ve also got the (probably not worth getting) Augmented Edition, a bundle of the base game + The Missing Link DLC and The Missing Link DLC on it’s own reduced too. Here’s Wot John thought, and lots and lots more RPS coverage here.

Space Pirates and Zombies – £2.79/€3.59/$3.99
I just grabbed this last night, and it seems pretty cool. I’m not quite down with the controls just yet, and it has a bit of a habbit of throwing chunks of text at you (although that is likely just because I’m only at the start of the game). It’s a sort of 2D top down Freelancer, and the graphics are rather cool. Was that friend of RPS TotalBiscuit I heard narrating the intro? That Quinns chap scrawled down his impressions of this back when it was still in beta.

Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II – £3.74/€2.49/$4.99
Registers on Steam.
They’ve actually got a big Warhammer sale on, but this seems to be the best deal by a fair margin. Here’s Alec opining on this in two parts:

The reason to play is to entertain yourself, and ascertaining the attack combinations that both deal out the most damage in the quickest time and most delight your eyes is the lynchpin of that. In singleplayer it is an action-RPG more than it is an RTS, but surprisingly the desire for more experience points and loot isn’t its backbone. Part of that is that you know in advance what the main reward for each mission will be. This neatly removes the obsessive hunt for stuff during the mission. You know full well you’re going to get that shiny prize anyway, so you can relax and enjoy the fighting that much more.

Deal of the week
Baldur’s Gate, Baldur’s Gate: Tales of the Sword Coast, Baldur’s Gate II: Shadows of Amn, Baldur’s Gate II: Throne of Bhaal, Icewind Dale, Icewind Dale: Heart of Winter, Icewind Dale: Trials of the Luremaster, Icewind Dale II, Planescape: Torment & The Temple of Elemental Evil – £6.38/€7.56/$9.99
Gosh that’s a lot of game, isn’t it? These all basically fall into the category of Not My Sort Of Thing tm, but I know that there’s a great deal of fondness for these old RPGs. Don’t blame me, I was but a child when the first of these came out. Some guy called Kieron did a retrospective of Planescape: Torment, go read it!

Also of note:
Strategy First Promo
Victoria Complete – $2.50
DETOUR – £2.20/€2.54/$3.39

SavyGamer.co.uk is the place to be if you like games to cost less than what they might usually cost.

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. MuscleHorse says:

Fuck. I drunkenly bought Serious Sam BFE at full price a couple of nights ago. Still worth every penny, just wish it were less pennies.

Space Pirates is a great old school space exploration/combat game. It could do with some more factions etc however – I’d be quite happy paying a small fee for such additions in a DLC.

sonofsanta says:

Having just finished DX:HR last night from the Steam Xmas sale, and balking at the £8.99 tag for the DLC, that’s pretty much as perfect timing as you can get. Tah!

• Mac says:

I liked the Missing Link more than the full game – the boss fight just feels right … you can approach it in character … so as a stealthy chappy it works …

• Ucodia says:

I just bought the DLC from GetGamesGo for 3.29€ and now the activation code does not work on Steam :(
      Anyone with the same problem?

• Velvetmeds says:

DEHR was fantastic. The DLC was horrible. Bought for 5€ and wish i hadn’t.

3. abigbat says:

I uninstalled Sam 3 after about 3 hours; found it incredibly dull, and lacking any of the charm of the original (or even it’s, dare I say, “wacky” sequel).

There are far too many silly elements, like the gun turrets which you have to find switches for to proceed in the opening chapters, and the awful looping soundtrack which fades in whenever a single enemy appears then out again when you defeat them drove me up the wall. In the end I had to turn it off and play the Quake 2 soundtrack in iTunes which did improve the experience somewhat.

Worse still I found myself constantly on the verge of death, but not in a challenging or entertaining way; this wasn’t the thrill of fighting a losing battle against overwhelming odds or being strategically picked apart by intelligent enemies, it was the feeling of being whittled down by cheap enemies at a distance. Spiders which cling to walls and shoot you from a mile away, poorly designed human troops with shotguns which seem to have an infinite range…

The classic troop types are still there and still perform their roles admirably, suicide bomber chaps perpetually rushing you and forcing you to backpedal like crazy (the tactic of using their explosions to take down other enemies still proving useful and enjoyable), and there are still plenty of big mini-boss characters to strafe around, but these experiences are considerably dulled by the new additions to the roster.

Perhaps the game picks up after the first few hours and I’m being unfair. I haven’t mentioned how satisfying the weapons are to use, or even that I appreciate the slick interface and wealth of features besides the single player campaign, and I have no doubt that the Sam is more enjoyable as a co-op experience (slightly bizarre sentence). But frankly there are so many quality titles out right now that I really don’t have the time to give to one which seems to determined to irritate me and to undermine my fondness for the franchise.

• Phantoon says:

“Perhaps the game picks up after the first few hours…” Yes, exactly.

No, really. That’s exactly what it does, though as a parody of bad churned out shooters like CoD, Halo, etc, it goes on far too long.

I myself haven’t got to play much of it because my computer can’t handle it and I have no money to upgrade at this point, so it’ll sit idle. But I look forward to getting back to it!

felisc says:

to be fair i got bored of playing this in singleplayer pretty quickly. but coop is fantastic. as in “yahahaharglyipeeglargl” fantastic.

• abigbat says:

I may well return to it one rainy day and have a blast then. I don’t enjoy ditching games early on, but as a developer myself I find it incredibly irritating when the opening hours of a title are poorly conceived and constructed. It’s the most important part of the experience by far – you should be pulling out all the stops to grasp the player and drag him/her into the world you’ve created.

Please note that my rant was born out of frustration and disappointment, not from hate or petty gripes. It wasn’t a dreadful experience, just tiresome and unrewarding.

bear912 says:

Several buddies and I have been intermittently playing four-player splitscreen co-op on a 100-inch projector, and having a bloody excellent time. The game takes too long to warm up, but when it does, it’s fittingly serious.

4. Bhazor says:

“These all basically fall into the category of Not My Sort Of Thing tm. Don’t blame me, I was but a child when the first of these came out”
    Lewie, I am so disapointed. I was only 9 when BG1 came out and that is still the sexiest little budle I’ve seen in a while.

Time to make an Impulse account.

Edit: so it seems Impulse is client based. Well that sucks. Does anyone who uses it know whether it has a functional offline mode? I intend to play these on the train so I won’t have a choice other than offline mode.

• lePooch says:

Impulse seems to work fine offline for me, though the only game I have on it is Galactic Civilizations 2. I think they don’t even require the client to be running for you to start your game, though that might have changed in the past few months since I tried it.

• Xocrates says:

Impulse doesn’t even need to be running for you to play games bought there. I use it just as a downloader.

• Lemming says:

Weird as I’ve never seen an ‘offline/online’ toggle for it. I just turned it off once the games had downloaded, and the games run from their own shortcuts/exes like you’d expect.

5. juandemarco says:

Also: Neverwinter Nights 2, Duke Nukem Forever, Tomb Raider 2 and Prey are at 4€ / 5$ on the Mac App Store (Mac only).

6. manintheshack says:

It’s worth noting F.E.A.R 3 is the same price as Serious Sam on GetGames at the moment: http://www.getgamesgo.com/product/fear-3

It’s currently 50% off on Steam, but still pricier than that.

7. Ucodia says:

Just bought the Deus Ex Missing Link DLC from GetGamesGo for 3.29€ but their activation code does not work… and their support reopens on monday. Great weekend ahead :D

Thermal Ions says:

Shoot them a support ticket anyway, I’ve had responses from them on the weekend.

• Ucodia says:

Got my reply already and we were able to fix it. Efficient support.

8. Buttless Boy says:

Worth mentioning that not only did GAME take longer than 48 hours to send the code, they sent me an email at that point, telling me they’d cancelled my order due to “security concerns”. I decided I’d rather spend a bit more later than travel through the Nine Layers of Support Hell for the privilege of giving such a lousy company my money.

From the complaints here I think I’ll give GetGamesGo a miss too. Guess I’ll wait ’till I can pick it up from Steam or GamersGate.

9. nrvsNRG says:

darn it…i just spent 10 bucks on BGII couple of nights ago…that is one awesome bundle.

10. Blackcompany says:

I want to play DXHR. I do. When it was first announced I was hyped for that game as for Skyrim. But then they announced it again. Advertised it more. Showed some previews. This went on – constantly – for about two weeks, by about which time I had seen and heard so much that I felt I had spent 40hrs in the game. So I skipped it instead.

If its a true RPG, where choices matter and have consequences, and people pay attention to the things you do I would love to play it. But I simply tire of these linear games hidden in big open spaces with their single, per-determined outcomes where decisions don’t matter. I still love me some open world gaming, but I just don’t need more of it for the sake of having it.
    ….
    A real, choices-and-consequences RPG, on the other hand…now that I could see paying some pennies for. If anyone has any feedback on how DXHR holds up in this regard, it would be most welcome. (It would also help me stay awake on a job that could not possibly be less exciting on a Saturday.)

• sinister agent says:

I’ve only played the opening few missions (which I call ‘missions’ only loosely – I’ve done a pile of sometimes long and arduous side stuff as well), but there’ve already been a couple of things I’ve done that have had an obvious impact on the story. And I’ve not even got to the first real plot twist yet.

So far, though I’ve been rolling my eyes at some clichés and the main bloke’s slightly silly voice, I’ve been enjoying it a lot, and I can’t say why, but it just feels very deus-ex-y, despite the obvious differences in its presentation. I’ve made a couple of decisions that I just know are going to come back to haunt me somehow (although one definitely worked in my favour, giving me access to some inside information on an enemy that I would never have had without making that particular decision).

It is ridiculously orange, though.

• Caleb367 says:

It IS Deus-Ex-y indeed. All in all, great game, great setting, great music and so on. A little too “golden” – I’m using that awesome dude Vorontsov’s words here, btw he did an ENB filter for DE:HR too – but a real nice prequel and quite replayable. I’ve just finished a run as a smooth-talking gun-wileding badass, I’ll start again as stealth SOB.
      Only problem I have, it’s the boss fights. They basically force you to either have upgraded some specific augmentations without any clue or else having a very very very hard and frustating fight.

• Zwebbie says:

“But I simply tire of these linear games hidden in big open spaces”
      In that case, good news for you! Human Revolution doesn’t have big open spaces.

Joking aside, Deus Ex has always been more about ludological choice than about narrative nonlinearity, and HR is no different. It’s a good game (though I’d never call it ‘great’), but I don’t think it’s the kind of game you’re asking for. Its choices are never really referenced with much more than cameos of saved people and mentions.

• Zenicetus says:

I don’t think DXHR is the kind of game you’re looking for, although you might enjoy it on other levels. There are a few choices during the game play, but they felt very minor and cosmetic. You might see a slightly different cut scene or dialog, that’s it. The majority of the game has your character funneled down a very linear main story path with a few side missions off that path.

I did enjoy the mechanics of the game — the stealthy bits, the use of the character’s augmented abilities and so on. That’s where the game really shines, I think. The dialog generally sucked (IMO), and was either predictable or verged on offensive racial stereotyping. On the other hand, the level design was good, especially the Hengsha level. I played through a second time — going more aggressive and less stealthy — and it was mainly just to see the Hengsha level again. Nice work, that.

If you want a game where choices feel more meaningful, try Witcher 2 if you haven’t played it already.

11. MondSemmel says:

Wow, that D&D Anthology deal is spectacularly even in terms of currency exchange rates. I bought it despite reservations (I own nothing on Impulse so far, so it’s yet another platform on which I own games; and

Actually, let’s make that an Impulse review:
    – “Prices based upon exchange rates as of 1/27/2012 and 9:00PM EST. Your order will be charged in US Dollars. Due to currency changes the prices may not reflect the exact exchange rate at the time of transaction.”
    That seriously deserves support.
    – On the other hand, that arbitrary nonsense of “Please enter between 8 and 12 alphanumeric characters” as your password during account creation is ludicrous.
    – I entered arbitrary stuff as my billing address as this is a download only purchase, but I seriously don’t like it that they want this at all. After all, the past gazillion hacked websites show that this kind of data just is not safe with these sites. They don’t need this kind of data, so they shouldn’t require it.
    – “Your order has been received and queued for processing by customer service. You will receive an email within 1 business day, at which time you will be charged and your products delivered. If you have any questions about your order please contact downloadsupport@gamestop.com.”
    That’s just sloppy.

In conclusion, I’m glad that 95% of all games I’m interested in appear on Steam…8[ (although that billing stuff annoyed me with Steam, too; and I circumvent ludicrous regional euro pricing via Steam smuggling)

• Randomer says:

When I bought it, it was immediately added to my Impulse account without any hassle. Perhaps it’s just a bit of a hassle when you first make your account?

• johnpeat says:

A flipside to the ‘charged in dollars’ thing is that many people pay currency surchages on foreign currency transactions and they’re often a big chunk of the price (my bank charges £1.50 for example).

So do they actually charge dollars or just vary the non-dollar price??

• MondSemmel says:

The game might have already been added to my account; I’m not sure. I won’t play these games for at least a couple of months, maybe a lot more, so I’m not really interested in installing Impulse before I need to. So is there any other way to find out? I didn’t find any list of games on the Impulse website, but I didn’t search long.

And they do indeed charge in USD, as the quote above says. Paypal says I spent 9.99 USD on the game. (Although I’m somewhat bewildered by this, because so far, Paypal has _always_ translated that price directly into Euros.)
      I think I only pay a couple % on the current exchange rate, but I see your point. Paying a flat fee as “punishment” for paying in a different currency is ridiculous, though.

• Gnoupi says:

Same message for me, ech. And I wanted to play it this weekend. Pity, so. (edit: nevermind, apparently it came to my account anyway)

About conversion fees, it’s an issue indeed, and something that people were easily dismissing when complaining about Steam not charging in USD anymore for Europe. I remember my first year of buying on Steam. Sure, at the time I saved money, I thought. Then the end of the year came and with it, all the fees for conversion, from my bank.

A way to avoid that is to pay by Paypal, though, since they will be the ones dealing with the conversion, and will most likely charge you less than your bank for it.

12. sinister agent says:

Maybe I’m being a total idiot, but I[BZZZZZTTT WAILY RADIO STATIC] “Yes, you are a total idiot, human. Message ends.” [BBBZZZTTT] buttons.

Big Murray says:

Why why why will they not once again give the D&D license to people who know what they’re doing?

• johnpeat says:

It’s a bit like Star Wars – there are but a few gems amongst a tonne of slimy shite…

• Wizardry says:

Because they went bust over a decade ago.

EDIT: What’s a bit like Star Wars? D&D?

• Baines says:

The demo of the Diablo-style one that came out around the same time as Dungeon Siege 3 wasn’t terrible as a Diablo/Dungeon Siege 3 game. It wasn’t great, either, though. Actually, the worst thing about it to me was the D&D license. Sticking to the license made the world pretty dull and boring.

Mind, I’ve long found D&D to be a bit boring, preferring the pen-and-paper RPGs that were a bit more adventurous. (Star Frontiers, Cyberpunk, Call of Cthulhu, honestly pretty much anything else compared to D&D.)

• InternetBatman says:

The thing that I don’t think they get is that good video games drive people to explore more of the franchise. The setting of Planescape wouldn’t be nearly as well remembered without Planescape: Torment. My friends and I are doing d&d campaigns because the DM tried Neverwinter Nights 2 and liked it so much. D&D and Star Wars have been stripmined for so long by their various corporate owners that I don’t think they recognize the value of building up the franchise.

• Wizardry says:

There’s been more good D&D video games than any “franchise” I can think of.

• Bhazor says:

D&D is possibly the most fleshed out and varied fictional setting out there. It’s a setting with steam punk, time travel, space travel and parrallel dimensions. There are curios like a wall protecting the Gods made from the souls of atheists, a hell dimension torn apart by beaucratic civil war, the city of Sigil, Gods who enjoy dicking with people, every folklore critter imaginable and anything the DM rules in. If someone can’t use that to tell a good story then its their own fault.

• InternetBatman says:

@Wizardry Absolutely. I think that the framework makes it easy for developers to tell good stories and have fun combat if they’re trying to. That’s why I find it so odd that they renewed the license with Atari, and that they’ve turned out crap games for the last four to five years. It really shouldn’t be that hard since they even have a decades old formula to follow. Who knows, maybe it’ll be better now that Hasbro has the license and Atari doesn’t.

@bhazor For the love of God I wish they would use some of those settings. Especially since Neverwinter is way less interesting than most of them. How cool would it be to travel to Mechanus, Calimsham, the Feywild, Thay (in a city, not just the Academy of MotB) or even the Outer Realms? That’s one of the things that made Planescape: Torment so cool. You got to explore some neat cosmology.

• Baines says:

A good storyteller can tell a good story with any game system.

For a video games, the advantages of a D&D license are: Your core game rules are already built, though some may need varying degrees of tweaking to be practical in your final product. Your setting is somewhat built. As with any licensed project, you have a built-in audience that will at least look at your game.

The disadvantages are: You cannot deviate too far from the core D&D game rules without risking angering your built-in audience. You cannot deviate too far from the setting that you licensed, and not using a licensed setting may itself upset your built-in audience.

Daggerdale was the game I was thinking of earlier. Compare Daggerdale with Dungeon Siege III. DS3 could have been more like Daggerdale if it had wanted to be, but Daggerdale couldn’t do some of the things that Dungeon Siege did. The people making DS3 had more freedom.

14. johnpeat says:

Some long-running/new/indielicious bargains worth mentioning here I think (separate posts to avoid the moderation thingy)

Immortal Defense – a bonkers crazy and quite excellent Tower Defense title – is now permanently “Pay what you want” ($1.75 minimum), They donate some of that to Kiva.org and the game is completely DRM free AND contains a lot of content AND a level editor and makes toast(*)

(*) May not actually make toast

• johnpeat says:

Defenders Quest is a supercharming RPG/Tower Defense title with an introductory price of $6,99 – that’s about the price of a cup of overpriced coffee or a bottle of underpriced Whisky (combine the 2 for a similar level of pleasure!!)

• johnpeat says:

Lastly, RadianGames has brought most of their catalogue (and one new game) from XBLG (booo!) to PC (hurray!) – and none of them are Tower Defense!!! That’s 5 games for $14.99 ( <$3 each!!) or you can buy em separately (mistake – they're ALL good and you can challenge Lewie and me on the Leaderboards of SC and Fireball/Slydris respectively!) :)

• d32 says:

+1 for Defenders Quest. Bought, enjoyed.

Thermal Ions says:

Another vote for Defenders Quest. There was a discount coupon (“RPS”) as well which may/may not still be active and gives you $1 off the price. It appears to be DRM free also.

• hunsnotdead says:

Silly silly Radian Games, they want to charge me cheeky €=$ price. Now they can shove it. ^.^

• johnpeat says:

@hunsnotdead – Radian’s payment processor is BMT Micro who allow you to choose the currency in which you pay – it’s the big dropdown box with the currency in it right at the end of your nose!!

Otherwise it appears to do a conversion and then round-up to .49 or .99 for some reason!?

It will add local taxes based on the country you (appear to be) from – the more devious will know ways to avoid that particularly onerous issue (proxy from outside the EU, basically) – but otherwise you can pay in any currency you like (including the original dollars)

15. SquareWheel says:

Gamestop? Yeah, maybe not.

• sinister agent says:

They’re still effectively working as Impulse did as far as I can tell, in terms of sales and delivery. But if your distaste/objection is down to the company itself, then obviously that’s not relevant.

Mind if I ask what bothers you about them? I know only slightly more than nothing about them.

• Rob Maguire says:

From a friend who used to work there: their employees are poorly paid, poorly trained, and liable to get fired if they don’t personally shift a certain amount of product. Consequently they have a reputation for being rude and pushy, though if you’re lucky enough to get a decent cashier it’s mostly limited to trying to sell you novelty keychains and Game Informer subscriptions.

Pretty standard for retail, actually. It’s just they compare poorly with virtually every other way of purchasing games. There is also a surprising amount of lingering hatred over their merger with/destruction of EB Games.

They are also the primary source of pre-order bonuses here in the States, so they get a lot of flak for that particular headache.

More recently, there is their method of surviving the used games panic by assisting in publishers’ anti-consumer Online Pass programs, as well as that whole debacle where they were opening copies of Deus Ex and removing coupons from them, then still selling them as brand new.

• Buttless Boy says:

As far as I can tell, Gamestop is like the US version of GAME (that may be wrong, I’m not UKian). Basically, Gamestop makes tons of money by murdering the video game industry and selling its organs.

• Navagon says:

“They’re still effectively working as Impulse did ”

I take it you’re American? Because nobody anywhere else in the world would use that as a form of reassurance.

• InternetBatman says:

Gamestop treated PC games that weren’t WoW like dirt. They got no shelf-space, no promotion, terrible stock, and had high prices. One near me was selling Will Rock for $25 last year. No joke. They bought out the PC-friendly EB and just killed them. They refused to sell PC games below $20. All of this was driven by a model of reselling the same game multiple times, which didn’t work on PC games.

I honestly think that one of the reasons American PC games dipped so low is that it was actually pretty unpleasant to buy a PC game there, and the only alternative was big box stores. After their more than five years of almost total neglect and disdain for the PC market, I would never buy a PC game from them.

@Navagon I’m American, and Impulse screwed up my purchase the only time I tried them.

Maltose says:

I just wish they kept the old Impulse website. The new Gamestop Now website is as appealing as a bag of turds.

• bill says:

I find it kind of humorous that they’ve copied the screenshots from GOG – and half the characters are called GOGCleric and GOGer etc.. he he.

• Lemming says:

Honestly, Impulse/Gamestop/Game installer is fine to use. It’s unintrusive and doesn’t need to be running to play the games. Just turn it on occasionally to get any waiting new games or check to see if there is an update to one already have.

It’s nothing like their dire and overpriced retail services, I promise you that, and the US dollar exchange rate for us Brits is fantastic. It’s a true ‘no oceans’ service.

I bought Sins of a Solar Empire Trinity from there on its release some time ago, and I’ve just gone on for the first time since then to get the D&D special and there was an update for Sins waiting for me and that was the first I knew about it even though I’ve been playing the game all this time.

jrodman says:

Ugh, this set of sales was murderous. Why did i buy nearly everything listed? Yeah.. I was planning on sort of.. maybe.. eventually.. getting many of these. Then SALE and … oh god I feel sick.

17. Shadowcat says:

Have a gander at the Strategy First promo at GOG, even if you’re not a “strategy” gamer. (In particular, it includes the incredible “Pro Pinball” titles for a mere $3 each.)

18. G_Man_007 says:

I’d like to ask a question about DoW: Soulstorm. I know that you can use the Steam version with retail versions of the series, but does anyone know if you can use the Gamersgate version with the Steam versions of the other games? Everything I’ve seen says you can, but I’ve found no definitive answer, as I’d like to finally get it for £2.

• Vinraith says:

A copy of Soulstorm from anywhere will register on Steam, so yes that will work.

19. Navagon says:

Serious Sam 3 is one seriously purchased game. Certainly not regretting it so far. I notice how it’s getting more and more Serious (like the old games) as it goes on. I take it they’re trying to break in the CoD crowd that way? No chance. They’re used to games practically playing themselves.

20. SkittleDiddler says:

A warning to those who may want to purchase Dawn of War II for the multiplayer experience: don’t. It uses GfWL as a matchmaker/server client, and everybody else who used to play it online has already moved on to Retribution. It’s near impossible to find a pick-up game in DoWII these days.

21. bill says:

Maybe I should buy that impulse collection in penance for having copied most of them years ago. Not that i ever really got into any of them.

Do they work fine on Vista, like the GOG ones?

Thermal Ions says:

So does DOW2 Chaos Rising or Retribution bring anything different to the single player experience?

After giving the demo of the base game a short run last night I’m slightly interested in the SP for the price, but unsure about the extra for the expansions.

• UnravThreads says:

Yes… sort of. Chaos Rising expands directly onto DoW II. I don’t know what it adds to single player, though. As for Retribution – it mixes everything up massively and is a standalone title (Chaos Rising is too, sort of) and it uses Steamworks for everything rather than DoW II/CR’s GfWL & Steamworks.

Just buy Retribution.

23. madmeatmonkey says:

I went to savygamer and followed to link on pcworld.co.uk, had a pretty damn cheap price for Saints Row III.

Following the usual idea that if its too good to be true it usually is…. is that particular website trustworthy? Is it usually fine for overseas shoppers?

Thanks in advance for any replies, Cheers.

• bill says:

PC world is a big store chain, so they aren’t dodgy. Whether they ahve good service or work for overseas I couldn’t say.

• Abtacha says:

In their Terms and Conditions PC World say “The website is available to you only in the United Kingdom” so it shouldn’t work for you overseas. (And not for me here in Germany either :( )

24. Sardaukar says:

Also, Anno 2070 is on sale on GameFly. Moreso if you use the 30% coupon sent to direct2drive customers; I just bought it for roughly $26.

25. Lemming says:

Couldn’t resist the D&D collection. Had most of those games over the years, but the thought of having them ‘forever’ all up to date in digital only form was too much to resist.

For anyone on the fence about these, I’ve tried BG1 and 2 so far and they work straight away on Windows 7 64-bit with no problems, windowed at 1024×768

I can also confirm the Easytutu mod works like a charm and is highly recommended. (Easytutu_ToB.exe is the one you’ll want for this bargain, as well as EasyTutuHotfixes-20110604.exe and EasyTutu Degreenifier).

• techpops says:

Same here Lemming. Couldn’t resist it. I’ve been itching to play BG2 again for a long time but didn’t want to deal with all the discs and wasn’t sure about compatibility.

I was a bit worried about using Impulse, never used it before. All went well, I signed up and was downloading everything within a few minutes. So not sure why others have had to wait.

I’ll be checking out those mods, so basically anything with tutu in it is what you want to add? Anything else worth adding?

• Lemming says:

I don’t know about worth adding, but there are plenty of mods that mess with rules, add npcs, let you alter save games etc. It all just comes down to how much of the core experience you want changed. Personally, I’m happy with BG1 being more BG2-like and having the resolution nice and high.

Pocket Plane might have a few that interest you.