Online FPS World-Record: 999 On A Server

By Craig Pearson on January 31st, 2012 at 12:15 pm.

Wait till you see the gears of their eyes.
The lovely Hypnotoad and his friends at the equally lovely J-Server Super Hyper Rocket Go Luxury Awesome Team (usually tragically shortened to J-Server) took part in the weekend’s world-record breaking attempt at having 1000 people in an online shooter. If you missed out on Much Different’s Man Vs Machine event, they braved the unbalanced sides, and the usual torrent of sexualised slurs, to grab a few minutes of footage of the world-record: 999 people shooting each other on a single online server.

The point was never about the graphics or the quality of the game: just a proof-of-concept that the company’s server tech could handle a multiplayer pile-on of epic proportions. It’s been rubber-stamped by Guinness as a success. Here’s how it looked from a player’s perspective. WARNING: there are a few bad words thrown around in the game’s chat channel that made do a sad smilie IRL. :(

You know what it reminds me of? A TV show or movie’s interpretation of what a game looks like. Imagine a someone holding a joypad upside down, clicking all the buttons at once. See? Anyway, such is the proliferation of BAD SWEARS in the video I had a look at Much Different’s official images taken during the event. Click this to have a better view. If this was the one they chose, imagine the language deployed in the rejected screens?

He said a BAD swear.

, , , .

1. Phantoon says:

Red lasers are OP.

2. Shortwave says:

This is exciting. I dream of the day we can fully reenact real historical war scenarios with the actual numbers in said battle with all real players, no NPC.. I picture D-day and the likes and just get insanely excited and hopeful. Seeing thousands of -real- soldiers charging together towards thousands of germans. Just thinking about how intense that would be makes me endlessly happy.

That chat must of been just FLYING with that many people, ha..

• bigtoeohno says:

I agree whole heartedly. Im not sure the number of players should be the focus just yet when meaningful team mechanics haven’t been achieved in teams of more than four though. How good would an engineer class be where you build and destroys bridges and bunkers though. Still I dream of team based games where most want to play teams.

• Sweedums says:

Mmmmmm, imagine a game like Arma 2… with 1000 people.

I need a new pair of trousers.

• ArthurBarnhouse says:

See my first thought was Red Orchestra with 1000 people playing. Maybe someday we can play out Operation Uranus with the actual number of people!

• BAshment says:

@ArthurBarnhouse

I think being on the defending team may cause some discomfort.

• Shortwave says:

Even just having one full NPC team for one epic thousand person coop would be amazing!
      Half of the team dies before reaching the beach even, hahaha. MAN, the body count would probably make computers explode. Hahaha.

An RO2 with a thousand players would be amazing, pending the game run properly! >.<
      But yea' my brain trickled in that direction also. Heh.

• ArthurBarnhouse says:

@BAshment

Who cares about them? They’re Nazis!

• Skabooga says:

It would be terrific if this tech took off and was refined further. The possibilities . . . so enticing.

• max pain says:

And during the match FBI would trace all nazi/terrorist player’s locations and bust in and lock them all up for threating america.

• Raymond Saint says:

Play Red Orchestra: Darkest Hour ’44-’45, there are lot of D-Day maps, and server limit is 70 players. Very intense.

3. DeanLearner says:

Haven’t got sound at work so had to add my own primary school playground style machine gun noises and pew pew pews. And you know what? It worked.

• Outright Villainy says:

This comment works particularly well with your username.

• BAshment says:

open the door sanch.

• DeanLearner says:

She’s smooth, like ice,
      cold to the touch and it isn’t very nice,
      when you left alone,
      you let them treat you badly, leaves you hanging on the phone,
      take off, shove you loving to the wheel,
      put the pedal to the floor, cos your heading for the hills,
      got to get away, cant take it no more, man you don’t need this leave it, leave it, leave at the door, the door, the door, the door! Sanch, open the door!”

Bluerps says:

He is not running towards the machines for a moment! He shows cowardice in the face of the enemy!

tikey says:

Please tell me there was Friendly Fire.

6. Bhazor says:

I can never hear cybervoices without thinking of Radiohead – Fitter Happier.

7. NomadKing says:

I took part in this on the Developer side and can tell you that being on the other end of that sea of red neon was a painful experience indeed! :(

Bugamn says:

Yeah, I was there.

Who was the genius that tought it was fair giving explosives to only one side?

• Gramarye says:

I was on the dev team as well, and at first I thought they didn’t playtest much at all. Now I just suspect it’s only partly that — the dynamic of 500 grenadiers vs 500 lasers is probably a lot different than 10 v 10, or whatever they tested with.

If you stuck around later, they actually took down the server to fix the balance a few times. The last time they increased our health, which at first made it pretty even, until the machines got the upper hand and pinned the humans in their spawning areas. They didn’t even have shields, like we did. It was like shooting into a pickle barrel that’s packed with helpless, tasty fish. :)

8. terry says:

Those were bad swears? You’ve clearly never been on Xbox live :(

Still, really impressive stuff. The moment when the camera rested on the spawn and looked out over the chaos was worth it.

• DeanLearner says:

SHUT UP TERRY! OR SHOULD I SAY TERRYIST ON ACCOUNT OF YOU BEING A DIRTY TERRORIST S*** HEAD F**!!

• SuperNashwanPower says:

Blood? Blood. Blood.

And bits of sick.

9. d34thm0nk3y says:

I thought Planetside 1 had already done this

• Winged Nazgul says:

According to http://www.muchdifferent.com/1000playerfpspostapocalypse/faq.php Planetside had a zone cap of 399 players.

• Dana says:

@Winged Nazgul
      Zone is a single server, they had whole server cluster. Its not like we dont have network capabilities to do something like this, the graphical engine is the problem. They had flat terrain, simple animations and effects for a reason.

• Droopy The Dog says:

@Dana Creating a graphics engine that can render a 1000 models is absolute childsplay compared to the kind of backend shennanigans needed to synchronise 1000 seperate instances of a game. The art assets were probably kept simple because 1) it wasn’t important to look pretty and 2) stripped down graphics like that are less prone to bugs. When you’re doing an experiment, you don’t bolt on something complex with it’s own set of bugs and foibles alongside it.

Also, 3 servers with 399 on them isn’t the same thing as 1 with 999, since players on the seperate servers can’t interact with each other and don’t generate any extra overhead. That’s like comparing doing thirty press ups with doing ten press ups with 2 people on your back.

That said, it looks like they kept it very simple to make it easy on themselves in other ways too. No jumping, very basic movement, no player collision, one side using a simple hitscan weapon (or both, red’s looks like a projectile but dunno if it acts like one?), no interactive objects in the world. With only the absolute basics in there it must be much easier to track and condense the gamestate into something more managable.

Not saying doing it isn’t impressive, but it’s not really applicable to any game more complicated than doom.

10. Winged Nazgul says:

Damn, I wish I had heard about this earlier. I would’ve been guy #1000 for sure.

11. J-snukk says:

Well, it’s good to see the J-server getting some mentions again I guess, even after all the schisms and community collapses it endured.

12. magnus says:

Great, this’ll be used to persuade people and developers that all we want to play is multiplayer games with no single-player componant at all. :((

13. aircool says:

Didn’t Planetside have 1000 players at a time on a continent, or doesn’t that count?

14. Maxheadroom says:

I was there!!!

…for all of 30 seconds before they reached 1000 and everyone was kicked off again, but still, it’s somethign to tell my grandkids init? :)

15. buzzmong says:

I know it’s impressive for an FPS but it’s hardly new is it?

Eve Online routinely manages over 1000 people on a single server*, normally closer to 2000 in the form of one of the big trade hubs or when big fleet fights happen.

Although with the amount of action, the game in the article is still somewhat impressive.

*for those not in the know, in EVE although the gameworld, Tranquility, is run accross a cluster, each space system in game is actually run on a node (a machine). Some nodes run multiple systems if they’ve got low playercounts, but some nodes are generally run single systems if there are a decent amount of players in it.

16. Squishpoke says:

I like how the chat log is drowning in the inane babbling of reddit memes and other silly things.

17. Sleepymatt says:

My immediate reaction was – sure, that’s impressive on the level of getting 1000 sync’ed players in a single instance, but is it actually FUN? Surely having that number of players in a game (not necessarily this tech-demo game) means you will never develop the battle-within-a-battle nemesis style fightsthat happen naturally in TF2, and you are almost always going to have no idea who you killed, nor who killed you, or indeed why you died, with that much fire flying around. I kind of wonder whether losing that personal involvement removes an awful lot of the players involvement with the game.

18. vecordae says:

Bah! One Thousands of People on the same server far, far exceeds my TFOPS* level. I am currently operating at Curmudgeon Prime level and have trouble conceptualizing something where the three terms “multiplayer” “first person shooter” and “fun” are all applicable. I am deeply ashamed of this, but know of no other way to live.

*Tolerance For Other People’s Shenanigans

19. lingping says:

Top sex films, top sex sevice,topSex tool for sell that you will like them ,welcome to http://bit.ly/bwW0Bk

20. cpy says:

I dream of world of warcraft, whole EU on 3 servers :)

21. online fps says:

welcome to the world of fps games http://www.online-fps.com