PSA: Fortune Summoners, Analogue Out Now

By Alec Meer on February 1st, 2012 at 2:04 pm.

hurry, or they'll sell out!

Y U NO MENTION THAT [GAME X] IS OUT RPS?

COS WE HAV LIKE A MILLION TINGS 2 PLAY N POST ABOUT RAEDER K?

But: it is well worth observing Fortune Summoners – the latest release from Recettear and Chantelise Westernisers Carpe Fulgur – and Analogue: A Hate Story – the latest from Digital: A Love Story and Don’t Take It Personally dev Christine Love – both went on sale this week. Both are games that at least part of the Hivemind is very interested in, and we will be presenting some manner of opinion about them as soon as we can. We have not forgotten them. It’s just that we’ve been paid $3 million each by Eactisoft to only ever write about their releases and ignore all that indie stuff.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. fuggles says:

Outrageous! 2 million games that you don’t own to play! What a world, what a world… guess you have no time to find out if Avalanche ever want to fix Renegade Ops into working again for me then? nuts.

Don’t remember Fortune Summoners, but it looks good, a lot like the criminally overlooked (and free) spirit engine games. Probably pass on Analogue, even though I loved Digital.

• Author X says:

Never played The Spirit Engine, but from looking at a video of it, Fortune Summoners is a lot more active (it’s not turn-based, and the main character plays like a side-scrolling brawler). There’s a demo, at least on the website if not on Steam, so it’s worth checking out. The screenshots don’t do the character animations or the gameplay justice.

• InternetBatman says:

I think the Spirit Engine games were just released at the wrong time. They would be moderately successful on Steam now. I liked the game, but not the combat system. It felt like bolted on, unneeded complexity instead of naturally occurring complexity that comes with a deep system.

• Berzee says:

Having played the Fortune Summoners demo and 70 levels of The Spirit Engine 2 so far, I can say that they are NOTHING alike except in that they are 2d sidescrolling games where your companions run around behind you. Ok, maybe a few other similarities like the linearity of the story and etc…but quite different in terms of tone and totally different in terms of what the combat is like (SE2 being a crushingly tricky mostly turn-based damage-type-em-up, FS being a mildly clunky jump-and-stabby thing whose challenges are mostly related to timing).

That being said, I think they’re both tremendously fun. =)

• Baines says:

I haven’t put any time into the demo, only reading the manual and just starting the intro, but Fortune Summoners seems it will be similar to Namco’s Tales of X franchise. (Tales of Phantasia/Destiny/etc)

• PleasingFungus says:

It’s not really similar to Spirit Engine or Tales of X – my own personal touchpoint is Castlevania, specifically the later, more Metroidy post-SOTn ones.

From about ten hours in – the game is pretty fun, but has an unfortunate fondness for poorly-signposted “find individual x in town y” quests – without telling you who you’re looking for – especially a problem when it’s an indie game that came out two days ago, since no one has any guides up that go past the end of the demo!

The combat itself is pretty fun, though – strongly discourages mashing and feels like it has a high skill ceiling. (Much higher than my own skill!) Definitely worth trying the demo – it’s a solid two-hour sample, and very representative of the full game.

• Vagrant says:

Like almost everyone else, I haven’t played the Fortune Summoner’s demo yet. But what I saw of the combat reminds me of Silhouette Mirage.

• perruci says:

Good write-up, I¡¦m normal visitor of one¡¦s web site, maintain up the nice operate, and It is going to be a regular visitor for a lengthy time. agen ibcbet

2. AmateurScience says:

‘we’ve been paid $3 million each by Eactisoft to only ever write about their releases and ignore all that indie stuff’

I KNEW IT!

Don’t ever change RPS.

• McDan says:

Indeed, it’s waht makes them great and lets them keep their independace (as a facade of course).

On the games front I’m glad you notified me of their release RPS, I loved the previous gaems from these two sources adn will most definetely get these two new ones.

3. Fyrus says:

Christine Love is a pretty cool person.

4. Bluerps says:

Analogue: A Hate Story : Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

I forgot all about Fortune Summoners, but that gets a little yay too.

5. InternetBatman says:

I just don’t like playing as a little girl. Really I’m not crazy about most games where you play as a really young child either way, unless there’s an adorable pet and a hug button. When I see them I think, “You shouldn’t be saving the world. Run along and let some disaffected teenagers do it.”

6. Radiant says:

More usage of the word tings please.
    It’s my favourite word in the world and ting.
    That and the phrase “U dun no”.

Thank you youtube comments!

7. Vagrant says:

$15! An outrage!

I’m torn between wanting to pick up Analogue due to my enjoyment of her past 2 games, and waiting on RPS thoughts on it because it’s not free and I didn’t enjoy that Lawyer game she worked on.

• Bluerps says:

I think she didn’t like that Lawyer game either.

Anyway, I agree that the price might be a bit steep, but I also think she could have sold Digital and Don’t Take it Personally, so I consider buying Analogue a way to pay her for those other two games. Christine Love deserves some love!

• Vagrant says:

Based on what little I know of it, the things that annoyed me in the lawyer game (Love and Order?) were probably completely not due to her. The Stress Management System stressed me out. Stress is counterproductive for gaming!

$9.99 sounds like the sweet spot to me, but I’m 99% sure I’ll buy it today anyways. Unless I forget before I get home from work, which is what will probably happen.

• Daniel Rivas says:

I paid the $15 (that worked out to about £12). I’ve played through about half of it; it’s good. It doesn’t seem too much to pay.

• winterwolves says:

She made Love & Order for me, but I gave her complete freedom, even if still had to be a dating sim, and that’s probably was the problem :)
      (She didn’t hide that doesn’t like those kind of games)

• Christine says:

Yeah, any failings of L&O are nobody’s fault but my own. I was trying to work within a genre I don’t particularly like at all; lesson learned!

• Vagrant says:

Well, I did buy the game (I complain but I knew I’d buy it anyways) & play through it yesterday. I hate to say it, but I didn’t really enjoy it that much. I’d explain why, but that would get really long and very wordy. I never like to be long-winded in a comment section.

Like everybody else said, $15 was still totally worth it due to how much I loved the previous 2 free games. Digital was my favorite game of 2010!

8. cjlr says:

Buy Analogue! Support Canadian industry!

Ms Love is from Toronto, yes? Did that come up some time? Wait – her twitter says Peterborough. Anyone in Peterborough needs all the help they can get.

• coldacid says:

What’s wrong with Peterborough? It’s a hell of a lot better than being stuck in the 905 belt around Toronto.

• cjlr says:

The time I’ve spent visiting Peterborough makes Kingston seem exciting, let’s say that. Three cousins of mine who grew up there couldn’t wait to get out. But yeah, I may have been exaggerating for effect. You’re quite right; it is indeed nicer than parts of the ol’ blandbelt sprawl. And at least it’s not Douro!

9. CP37 says:

I’ll probably buy Analogue when I get home today, but still haven’t had time to play through the Fortune Summoners demo yet. I hope that RPS will get their opinion piece on Fortune Summoners up before next week, because I think the discount on Fortune Summoners (-25%!) on Steam right now is first week only.

Anyways, thanks for putting this up, so we know you haven’t forgotten about them!

10. Delusibeta says:

Note for people with multiple monitors hooked up to the same graphics card: if you’re experiencing major slowdown in Fortune Summoners, the main fix at the moment seems to be to disable the extra monitors.

11. Pons says:

I feel that 15$ (19$ after Tax) was worth it for Analogue if I took into consideration her other games I played. It wasn’t the longest game I’ve played (94% “Unlocked” after 3 hours on my first playthrough), and I felt some parts were… rather bad (Hello Command-prompt that has no place in the future), but it was fun and the demo gave a great feel for the rest of the thing. I highly recommend people try it out =)

12. darkath says: