Trion Worlds Gives The Gift Of Rift

By Craig Pearson on February 1st, 2012 at 5:15 pm.

Who blew that bubble? Own up!
What do you give the man who owns everything but is missing the first 20 levels of Rift? Trion Worlds the makers of the rather good MMO Rift, have the answer for you: Rift Lite gives you unrestricted access to the game’s first 20 levels for free. I actually do own everything, so I’m now furious that they’ve undermined my achievement.

Ooh, look, there’s a press release and everything. I have a press release prepped to announce my retirement from collecting everything ever, but you can’t have it. That puts me back on top. Nyah!

Trion Worlds, the leading publisher and developer of premium games for the connected era, continues to increase accessibility to their hit MMORPG Rift™ by introducing Rift Lite, a version that allows anyone with a Trion account to experience the game’s first 20 levels at no cost and with no playtime restrictions. Rift Lite debuts today with the latest patch, Carnival of the Ascended, which features Ascended Weddings, PvP improvements, the new River of Souls Chronicle, and much more.

“In the past ten months, Rift has evolved at a breakneck pace, through seven massive updates that set new expectations for live MMOs, in features, in content, and in service,” said Scott Hartsman, Executive Producer of Rift and Trion’s CCO. “We think a Lite edition with no time limit is the best way for players to see what an amazing experience Rift continues to be.”

Rift Lite is accessible across all servers to anyone with a Trion account, giving potential Ascended a risk-free opportunity to play the game IGN called the “Best MMO Game” of 2011. Players can create a character and experience the first 20 levels in the plane-besieged world of Telara, working their way through the zones of Terminus, Mathosia, Freemarch, Silverwood, and visiting their faction’s capital cities.

In addition to the new trial, Rift 1.7 features many quality of life improvements, including:
· PvP Improvements – Smoother advancement and better rewards

· Ascended Weddings – Share eternity with your soulmate, Telara-style

· River of Souls Chronicle – Undead adventure for two

· New Master Mode Dungeon – Caduceus Rise

· Expert Dungeon Overhaul – More options, better loot!

· Better Endgame Equipment – Improved loot for your endgame Ascended

Today’s update marks the initial stage of the Carnival of the Ascended. In a few weeks, the largest and most spectacular World Event Telara has ever witnessed will kick off, celebrating the heroic feats of the Ascended. Amazing in-game events, special loot, and prizes will make the Carnival World Event something that won’t be soon forgotten.

, , , .

jezcentral says:

I’d be interested to see how much of this is due to the SWTOR effect (if such a thing exists) and how much of this is down to the the current moves to F2P MMOs in general.

I must admit to preferring a subs-based game, instead of micro-transactions. This general move to F2P chills me to my change-fearing bones.

• Spider Jerusalem says:

this isn’t a move to f2p. this is a free trial from lvls 1-20. it’s still a sub-based game.

• mjig says:

According to a wow-playing friend, the starter zones of wow are filled to the brink of ex-TORtanic players who are abandoning ship, so I doubt the tor effect exists.

• Dana says:

@Spider Jerusalem
      WoW did the same thing, after 7 years. Rift, 1 year.

Yes it is a step towards f2p, in case of Rift, more desperate.

• Mercykiller101 says:

@Dana

Rift has to compete directly with an MMO that has 7 years worth of content and updates. The fact that it took wow 7 years to adapt is irrelevant.

• ExplosiveCoot says:

“WoW did the same thing, after 7 years. Rift, 1 year.

Yes it is a step towards f2p, in case of Rift, more desperate. ”

Yeah, giving people the opportunity to try your game for free is definitely a desperation move.

This just seems like really smart marketing: lure people who are sick of WoW and disappointed in ToR with a free trial. Rift is more different from WoW than ToR is (at least in terms of combat mechanics, i.e. 90% of gameplay) so maybe some people stick around for a few months. That sounds more savvy than desperate to me.

• e82 says:

@Dana

I don’t think it’s a move towards F2P, or even necessarily ‘desperate’. At the time WoW came out – there was not that much competition in the sub-based MMO market. It took quite a few years until there were enough games in the industry to make the ‘first few levels free’ a smart move.

This isn’t a F2P, it’s just another way of doing a demo that isn’t time limited. I think this is a great idea – any time I’ve tried a time-limited demo of an MMO – I never really get a chance to get a good enough feel for the game before the time runs out. Frequently, I’ll try and and wait until I think I’ll have enough free time. Activate my account, real life gets busy – half a month goes by and the trial is done before I get a chance to play the game.

I really think that any sub-based MMO should do a similar ‘level limited’ trial instead of time-limited. If it was moving towards F2P – you would see their subscription model drastically changing, introducing micro-transactions all over the place, etc. This is simply a better way to do a demo.

• Malawi Frontier Guard says:

To say they are desperate would imply that this step wasn’t planned for long in advance. It’s all part of their marketing strategy, just like how the game has always been on sale somewhere since release.

• ulix says:

Let’s not forget that Rift didn’t have any trial at all until now.

If a new MMO five years ago would have introduced a 2-week trial 11 months after release, no-one would’ve said “move to F2P, blabla…”.

It’s just how you do trials today.

• theleif says:

@ulix
      “Let’s not forget that Rift didn’t have any trial at all until now.”

Except for numerous 2 weeks trials, that let you buy the full game for something like 12€ after the trial ended.

Anyway, I recommend everyone to try it out. I had great fun with the game for a couple of months and they update the game frequently with new content. Also the soul system is genius. Being able to hot swap between up to 5 different builds makes the game so much more fun.
      In my humble opinion, of course.

jezcentral says:

I think I should point out I never said anything about this being post of a full-scale move to F2P.

I just meant that while there are so many F2P rivals, a free trial seems to be the way to go, especially when they are competing against behemoths like WOW and a new SW MMO.

2. Nevard says:

Ascended weddings followed by “An undead adventure for two”
    Who could ask for more

3. MuscleHorse says:

I do believe I’ll be giving this a go. I’m not much of one for MMOs but I’ve heard nothing but good about this particular title.

4. senbon says:

I find it funny how Trion has been producing quality content for their game Rift, while Bioware is struggeling to release anything but server downtime with minimal fixes.

• Heisenberg says:

• senbon says:

Still, I personally had a better relationship with Trion than Bioware. Could be just me though.

• Mercykiller101 says:

@ Senbon

Couldn’t agree more. Trion are handling rift much better than Bioware are doing with TOR. Which is a shame, as I enjoy both games.

• Cerzi says:

Trion have been doing a fantastic job with pushing out patches – really they’ve performed far better than any MMO dev has done before.

It’s just a shame that they made some gameplay decisions I don’t agree with or me and my guild would still be melting away the hours in telara.

• Jerakal says:

Toot, toot! All aboard the anti-bioware train!
      Seriously, am I the only person who enjoys Tor?
      What’s wrong with you people?

jezcentral says:

Nope. The end of the first month was always going to see people leaving, and that gives people a chance to to show how tribal they are about their MMO choice.

• paterah says:

“well thats not true, its only been a month and a half since release of TOR, and the last big update to 1.1 introduced a good chunk of new content.”

It’s actually totally true about the work being done. Trion had tons of balance and bug fixes every maintenance in their first month. Bioware has 1, MAYBE 2 bug fixes on a good tuesday and the trend is not changing at all.

5. Viper50BMG says:

See, I never could get into MMORPGs before; the price point for a monthly subscription is too high for the erratic amount of time I have to play a game. F2P MMOs alleviate this problem somewhat, but the prospect of actual money (as opposed to in-game effort and skill) determining how well a player does (read: progresses) seems really strikes me as somewhat of a cheap way to cash in. I suppose that’s why Guild Wars, with it’s full-price initial software cost, but no monthly fees, item fees, or whatnot, appeals to me.

Or, here’s an alternate solution, taking a cue from Rift and WoW’s new introductory business model; Charge people by the level. Seriously. Make the game free to play, free to collect loot/earn stuff/ buy with in-game money, etc., but then put in level caps with a price tag on each at various points evenly distributed along the game’s level scale. So, if, say level 99 is as high as you can go, put unlockable caps at lvl 20, 40, 60, and 80, that way a player who only has time to play a few nights a week, isn’t going to have to shell out money for a game they don’t have time to play at the moment, instead they’ll only have to pay to unlock additional gameplay once they’re ready for it. Kinda like the ubiquitous DLC. “Levels 1-20 in the box, additional sold separately. Ah,well. I might just be creating the optimal system for me, and me alone. Ugh. Don’t flame me.

• theleif says:

It’s a good idea, except for the fact that most players that keep playing any modern MMO will max there level pretty quick.
      This deal by Trion is actually very good, as 50 is the max level cap right now, so if you just count levels, you get 2/5 of the game for free. And the areas available to players <20 are big enough to entertain you.*

*I expect they do what they did with their trials, and restrict free players access to higher level areas.

6. Temple says:

If you like the Superhero genre there is City of Heroes which lets you go all the way to its original level cap for free (the level cap has been increased with subscription only Incarnate content).

Hmmm, but there probably is still a bit of a subscriber getting and edge over f2p people. Not massive though as F2P can use enhancers, just harder to earn the money to buy them.
    Have to say I see F2P as a demo, even more so with lvl limited ones such as this one WOWs. The WOW lvl 20 cap showed me enough to know I did not like the mechanics of the game.

7. freddydeady says:

I bought this in a steam sale for a fiver – First 30 days are free. Havent activated this yet but now wondering if I can create a new free account, get to level 20 then activate the my game to get the 30 days – anyone know???

• theleif says:

You can probably just add you serial number to your trial account once you reach level 20, but I can’t promise anything.
      Try to create a trial account and see if you have an option to link your steam serial to that account.

8. skyturnedred says:

I really enjoyed the beta, but saw no reason to continue with it because iwt as it was pretty much “WoW but different-yet-the-same” in the end. But as soon as I figure out how to free enough hard drive space for the game, I will definately give this game another spin. This is exactly how MMO trials should work, unlimited access for the first 20% of the game.

Also, I don’t see this as a desperate move, but as a smart marketing decision.

• bfandreas says:

Same here. I actually played Rift for 6 months after I moved away from WoW(which was starting to confuse me).

Rift is a VERY good MMO while you level up but I got bored once I reached top level. And also it has the bane of ever MMO built right into the very core of it:
      The hell that is other people.

As per usual I played a tank. And a rather competent one. From the Ciderhelm school of competence. At some point I said physical love it and turned toward single player games.

But as MMOs go, this is one of the best. I never tried PvP because my true PVP love lies with Warhammer Online(open PvP lakes as low level AND scenarios).

My flatmate plays the Starwars MMO since day one and it seems like a real nice single player experience. The polish is nice. But after WoW since beta, clearing more than half of Naxx in classic, I’m done with that particular type of game.

9. ColonelClaw says:

This might just be a crafty move by Trion. The first wave of SWTORers will by now have reached the crucial end of the free month. Many will obviously keep their subs going, but there will be plenty of gamers who are either on the fence, or have cancelled.
    With perfect timing they now have something else to try.

10. Howitzer says:

I can’t believe how many swarms of thousands it seems are running away from SWToR and going to RIFT. Its almost like SWToR’s inevitable failure helped bring back all of the early 2011 customers from Trion! I personally know that if it wasn’t for how disappointed I was with SWToR I would have never re-subbed to Rift because I had no intention to, considering I left it back in April 2011. So thank you, Bioware, for making me realize just how great of a game Rift is compared to your co-op, bugged, broken, and unfinished disaster of a game. Trion thanks you for the 1 year subscription I just gave them, I’m sure. ;)