Cannon Fodder 3 Actually Happened, Demo

By John Walker on February 3rd, 2012 at 10:12 am.

See, that actually looks like Cannon Fodder.

Well here’s a thing. You may remember that last January there was a flurry of excitement at the prospect of a new Cannon Fodder game. The 1993 Amiga classic still generates a lot of love, and people especially like arguing about whether Cannon Fodder 2 was an acceptable sequel, and whether Stuart Campbell ruined it with his sticky-up hair. Let’s fight about that now! But a third never happened, until the peculiarity of Codemasters licensing the title for a Russian-only third part developed by GFI. Codies quickly distanced themselves from it, and things fell silent. But now every other site on the internet has reported the spotting of a YouTube video of some footage by Twitterite superannuation. And, well, it looks like Cannon Fodder with improved graphics.

But with the worst music imaginable.

There’s also an unverified demo linked from whoever wrote the YouTube description, which I’m about to check for viruses, etc, by installing… It seems to be clean, but it’s very much in Russian, and I’m a little rusty in the language so can’t figure out exactly what’s happening. Let alone get the resolution improved. Nor turn this hideous music off.

To get out of the first area, go to the top of the screen. But beyond that, not knowing what I’m clicking on in the menus means I keep restarting missions or going back to the main menu. Also, and I’m not quite sure, I think the game might be an awful lot racist.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. diebroken says:

Strange, that’s not an FPS…

2. Prime says:

God, you’re not kidding. The music reminds me of that soulless piece of RAWK! they shoved at the start of every Zero Punctuation review.

3. CMaster says:

Looks a little more crazy-sci-fi and boss battle orientated than I remember C&C being.
    Still could be quite a lot of fun though.

• Baines says:

Looks like a modern old-school overhead shooter, except your extra lives trail you instead of just existing as a number in the corner of the screen.

Doesn’t look like it plays like Cannon Fodder, but it could be quite fun.

• geoffreyk says:

Jools is not an extra life! How dare you?!?

4. Belsameth says:

Just grab Pineapple Smash Crew instead :p

5. Neurotic says:

Speaking as a proofreader and text editor in the games industry, with nearly 15 years’ experience (lots of it with Russian devs), I can tell you that they’re crazy about their inadvertent racism and xenophobia. The things I’ve found buried in 2000 text strings for otherwise innocent games, would make you :O

• lhzr says:

oh, come on, you can’t just say that without giving any examples !

• lordcooper says:

I demand examples.

• Prime says:

*chants* We want racism! We want racism!

• Jorum says:

Yes sadly it’s not uncommon in Russia. Sometimes just plain racism (hello Mr Brother-in-law) and sometimes just not realising how certain things are perceived by outside.

For example I was watching Russian new year concert shows (like a massive version of a Jules Holland/royal variety mashup) and one group came on in full black-face to do a reggae number. I don’t think it was in any way supposed to be racist, they just didn’t consider it an issue.

I was also kinda shocked to see a kids cartoon (fairly recent I think) in which some islanders(or africans?) were drawn in that horrible 1930′s little short guys with spears and huge-lips caricature way.
      Not sure what that was all about.

Although in fairness I suspect there is probably almost as much in the UK or US, it’s just not as socially/publicly acceptable so people hide it more.

• Kollega says:

Speaking as a Russian, i can say that there are both cases of serious racism (for example, neo-Nazis roaming the streets and killing immigrants from Middle Asia just because) and just plain bad humour (for example, caricatures of black people that would be horribly racist in the US are not considered a big deal since Russia never had black people to opress and thus nobody thinks it’s an issue).

Sadly, i have to say that Russia seems to be quite, quite xenophobic in general: there’s nationalism, racism, homophobia, and other such things in amounts that would make any American or European shake their head in terrified disbelief.

• pmanpman says:

I think america is the only country where that is a major issue,

One australian comedy show did a best of about 20 years after the fact, but being a live competiton talent quest thing, they got the same acts to come in an re perform the acts.

On group had a black guy with white paint and 4 white guys with black paint and that was aired on prime time TV.

Sure, they later apologised but it did make prime time… and they only apologised because some americans got up in arms about it.

• Zephro says:

Not sure I’d take the Australian quality test for racism very seriously ¬_¬

• Berzee says:

*sigh*
      Being unreasonably afraid of (maybe also revolted by) something is a phobia; making fun of something or holding it in contempt is not a phobia.

I realize that the official definition may encompass both by now, but that’s dumb.

This comment paid for by the Association for Making the Word “Xenophobia” More Useful and Less Dumb.

• asshibbitty says:

Also known as the clueless baby committee.

6. Eclipse says:

looks interesting!
    But who’s the developer?

Looks actually to be more various than Pineapple Smash Crew, but seems to be slower paced.

7. asshibbitty says:

It was actually made by Burut CT, who are a notorious shitware dev. GFI is a shitware publisher.

8. caddyB says:

WHAT DID YOU DO TO CANNON FODDER MUSIC YOU ARSEBISCUITS!

explanation for the lesser gamers:

9. Diogo Ribeiro says:

If there are explosions it must rawk right? God awful music.

Laser tanks and giant robos? Is this Cannon Fodder or Cannon Fodder meets Metal Slug?

10. Jimbo says:

You can’t improve Cannon Fodder’s graphics.

11. Turkey says:

Glad to see the great anti war message of the first one still remains.

12. Unaco says:

Horrendous music, yes. But it also looks like they f*cked up the game, which is kind of hard to do when you think about it. 3D doesn’t work, and the screen just looks far too cluttered… what the hell is with the alien world, metal floor and laser beams look?… Dumbed down so you can only have 1 squad… the glorification of war… no tactics, just pointy-clicky-boom. What have these people done?

At least they got a colour other than green. That’s possibly the only decent thing about this.

• lhzr says:

“alien world, metal floor and laser beams look?… Dumbed down so you can only have 1 squad… the glorification of war… no tactics, just pointy-clicky-boom.”

you just described that pineapple game that people are raving about above you as being the new cannon fodder.

for what’s it worth, to me the video looked as cannon fodder-esque as they come. you got 4 guys that shoot and bomb the shit out of other shit. that IS cannon fodder, not the 2d, the “message”, the colour palette or whatever other window dressings you remember from the old ones.

also tactics? where? when? reminds me of people calling syndicate a rts.

13. Lemming says:

Am I the only one that thinks this looked good then? I’m happy with CF with better graphics, tbh..

The music for the trailer seemed to fit compared with the old helicopter level loading music, to me.

14. RyuRanX says:

Played the russian demo last year and it was fun. I’m looking forward to this game.

15. max pain says:

240p is the new HD.

16. mickygor says:

Those little guys look invincible. I swear they’re constantly being engulfed in explosions, yet it only took 1 bullet to kill a man in the original.

17. hjd_uk says:

This had better include the guilt and shame of seeing your lack of military prowess create tens then dozens then hundreds of little white crosses all over the hills overlooking the recruitment-line…

• buzzmong says:

The “recruitment” screen in CF is one of the most poignant things I’ve ever seen in a game. An amazing idea, and certainly in theme with the anti-war sentiments of the originals.

18. wodin says:

I loved Cannon Fodder back in the day…can’t remember what machine I played it on, either the Atari ST or an Amiga.

i think you could say it was one of the first RTS games I suppose.

19. DickSocrates says:

Is 240p HD in Russia?

20. Zagzagovich says:

It’s made by BURUT so you know it’s shit. Cannon Fodder was a giant hit on russian bootleg SEGAs and it’s really sad to see them trying to capitalize on that in such a lazy manner. I love how the first two selling points the give you are “MANY LOCATIONS” and “DAYTIME LOCATIONS AND NIGHTTIME LOCATIONS”. It’s lazy bad and poop.

21. hayesmaker says:

War was once a lot more fun than this!

Comment on this story