Go Bombing In Vain: Rainbogeddon

By Adam Smith on February 3rd, 2012 at 2:21 pm.

I had brilliant words for the 'R' 'O' 'Y' part of the headline but not enough space to use them. Brilliant, they were.

The latest release from Nitrome is one of those games that I wish I’d discovered later in the day, because I’m going to spend the remaining hours until I’m released from the shackles that bind me to the keyboard wishing I was playing it. It’s called Rainbogeddon, which should really be enough to make you click here and play it. If you haven’t, know that it’s Pacman, Bomberman, Dig Dug and loads of other brilliant things all packed together into a browser window. Destructible mazes? Of course. Oodles and oodles of powerups? Definitely. A little too tiny for my dwindling eyesight to fully take in? Regrettably. Go and play it. Do it for me, because I can’t.

When you’ve had your fill, go and play the similar and excellent Forget-Me-Not, which I wrote about when still a boy. I have now provided you with enough free game to tide you through until Monday. Unless you hate blippity bloppity music, Pacman and mazes, in which case there is nothing for you here.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. JackShandy says:

I don’t think I’ll ever be able to stop smiling.

Edit: My mistake, the euphoria wore off quickly. The graphics and sound are perfect as always, but I always find Nitrome games far too formulaic and slow-paced in the end.

2. lhzr says:

>>in which case there is nothing for you here.

Exactly. This is a local shop for local people.

3. Iconik says:

Uuuuuuugh. I can’t stop! I can’t stop!

4. Vandalbarg says:

Nitrome are brilliant.

In regards the eye sight thing, pinch your mouse pad with two fingers. This should zoom in. If not, control + + a few times until you can see. Let there be light!

• CaughtVD says:

This or control and scroll with middle mouse only seem to work for the surrounding web page for me the box containing the game remains the same size. Maybe it’s a browser thing though….

5. trjp says:

Lovely idea but the keyboard controls are awful – it’s a pacman-type game where you can’t hold 2 keys at once to go ‘up and left’ – what century is this???

I suspect it’s a Flash thing – it’s unbelievably quaint that people still use Flash, it’s like seeing something creating in Blitz Basic :)

Also – unskippable 30 second ads for shitty 3DS games aren’t part of my idea of fun either – “This game is free due to our sponsors” should read “this game is free because it’s Flash and NO-ONE pays for Flash games” :)

• Matzerath says:

Except for ‘The Binding of Issac’.
      And ‘Machinarium’.
      And ‘Windowsill’
      And (etc.)

• neolith says:

I don’t mind the way the controls work. I do however mind that they sometimes don’t work at all. I keep pressing buttons and the game just doesn’t react. Not fun.
      Either I am really missing something here or the controls are just not working properly on my machine…

• syndrome says:

It’s unbelievably quaint that people still don’t know what Flash is, like it hasn’t been around for, say, 10+ years.

The only button which can’t be used is RMB, and that’s true only for the browser-based Flash plugin (aka Flash Player). It’s a choice in design, obviously, as RMB is used to popup a context menu (people expect this behavior for some reason; however, it is configurable to some extent).

So here is a list of possible reasons why this combination of keys might not work for you:
      - it’s a bug (probably a programmer’s fault)
      - it’s not a bug, it’s a feature (probably a game designer’s fault)
      - your keyboard can’t handle the combination (probably a keyboard designer’s fault)
      - you’re pressing the wrong keys (probably your fault)

Comment on this story