Gotham City Imposters Imposes On Feb 8th

By Craig Pearson on February 3rd, 2012 at 1:53 pm.

He's the gnome we need.
This is what happens when you get busy. I did not know that Gotham City Imposters, Monolith’s inventive multiplayer FPS where players are copycats of Batman and his various villains, has a defensive gnome that tazers people. Where I was and what I was doing at the time to not know I don’t know, but I now begrudge whatever it was I don’t remember doing. I hopefully won’t begrudge playing the game on February the 8th, and peeping into the beta tactics video below, I don’t think I will.

Defensive lightning gnomes are just a part of the overall multiplayer silliness. I think I’ll probably go for the Riddler’s decalled gun and bullhorn. Warning: the video appears to be narrated by Jack Black.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Tom De Roeck says:

Thats not jack black! curse you!

2. JackShandy says:

Gadgets, comics, side-weapons: A+. Primary weapons: See me after class.

It seems like the most effective strategy in this game won’t be dive-bombing or gnome-tasering; it’ll be shooting your enemies in the head with an assault rifle.When your selling point is the zany concepts why make your main weapons such tired old shooter standbys?

3. Gnoupi says:

Comical, overall silly multiplayer mayhem with crazy weapons? Sure, sounds fun!
    But iron-sights? Really? In my time we were precise with the weapon on side and had no problem with that.

• JackShandy says:

Definitely. Slowing down so that you can be more precise with your aim – in a game that’s being marketed like this? Nuts.

• hench says:

Yeah, it’s pretty dissapointing with the iron sight. But what’s more dissapointing is the unlocking system.
      What’s wrong with having everything ready at your disposal? If you need to put in an RPG-like progression system just to make sure some people keep playing maybe your game isn’t that fun?

• devlocke says:

Some people like unlockables. Also, they are not necessarily just an attempt to keep people playing by drip-feeding them shit to keep them hooked. They also can be intentionally designed so that players learn new tactics at a steady rate instead of being confronted with a gajillion thingies they don’t understand all at once and being frustrated and/or bewildered to the point that they don’t bother learning them all.

No idea if that’s the case with this ‘un, but the whole blanket-dismissal of all “RPG-like progression system[s]” struck a nerve. If you were speaking from experience with this specific game, and not just claiming the concept was entirely inexcusable, my apologies. :)

4. Hideous says:

“The more you gnome”. Brilliant.

5. AlternatePFG says:

That looks rather fun, but I seem to recall some people saying that the beta of the game was pretty mediocre. Can anyone confirm this?

• ElvisNeedsBoats says:

I was in beta briefly. I didn’t stick with it. It has the Battlefield/MC model of having to level up with poor weapons. The maps felt cramped, allowing the shotgun to dominate. The healing class used a megaphone, which was odd.

It had a goofy premise, which was entertaining at first, but I only played a few games, submitted a few bugs, and moved on. I imagine it may have gotten better, but it wasn’t my thermos of coffee.

• Thunderkor says:

I was in a brief PC closed beta of this. I didn’t get to play as much as I wanted, mostly due to bad timing as far as when the servers were open, and some technical issues with the matchmaking. I’m just going to assume they got the technical issues ironed out since then.

I do agree that the iron sights thing on a game aiming to be zany and wacky is a bit off, but I really enjoyed what little time I had with the game. I could see myself playing it quite a bit.

Strange that it’s not showing on Steam, since the PC beta was distributed through Steam.

6. Iconik says:

I have no idea what this article is saying. Maybe it’s early, but my brain started seeping out of my ears when I finished.

7. TormDK says:

Where can we preorder this amazing game? It’s not on Steam? :(

8. Suits says:

It’s fun when he shows it at least ;p

9. ScorpionWasp says:

Repeat after me: Impostors. Impostors. IMPOSTORS! I hadn’t seen a mistake repeated this many times since “Rouge Squadron”.

10. Lemming says:

It looks fun, but everything almost looks insta-kill from the video. I’m not so su- BOOOM! DIVE BOMB!

11. TwwIX says:

My expectations are very low after trying out the PC beta. I very much doubt that they have made any significant improvements. The matchmaking system was horrendous.

12. Wang Tang says:

Is that you, Gnome Chompski?
    Or just a *gasp* imposter? :O

13. Hatsworth says:

I would be into this if not for the persistent progression — which has no place in a competitive game — and GFWL.

Also, obligatory “please make NOLF 3 Monolith” comment.

Comment on this story