Keep Your Mass Effect 3 Saves. BUT WHY?

By John Walker on February 3rd, 2012 at 3:26 pm.

JUST TELL ME!

BioWare may have mentioned once or twice that Mass Effect 3 is the closing of the trilogy. Now, obviously you’d have to be more naive than a tiny puppy to believe they’d not make any more games in the enormously popular universe, but it did feel reasonably safe to say this would be the last outing for Shepard. But perhaps not, after BioWare’s Mike Gamble told GamerZine that we should hang onto our save games. What does it meeeeeeeeaaaaaaan? We’ve speculated, and have some insights you will not read anywhere else.

“It wouldn’t be a bad idea,” said Gamble to the not-quite-a-magazine when they asked whether it was worth holding onto Mass Effect 3 saves. “Obviously I can’t say anything, but it wouldn’t be a bad idea.”

What does this mean for the series, for Shepard, for us as people in our lives? What possibilities can be understood from this sentence? What are words when you really think about it, but just grunts that we desperately hope convey the imposed meaning as we release them from our mouths?

Perhaps they want us to keep the saves because they contain a code, a code that will unlock a secret that will CHANGE THE UNIVERSE FOREVER? Maybe this will only work if we all band together, sharing the codes in our save games with each other, every person who plays from every nation of every race, unified in a task that will bring us all together for the good of humankind. Hey, maybe, just maybe, that is the secret?

Maybe it’s part of a malevolent plan from BioWare, who are hiding terrible viruses within the save game code, that they intend to fire into action on the 21st December 2012, thus bringing about the endtimes as prophesied by the Mayans, with whom BioWare are clearly in league. It has been my suspicion for many years that the RPG developers have been in cahoots with the ancient peoples of Maya, working their propaganda into their games, force-feeding us moral and ethical choices designed to brainwash us into the state they need for us to be willing to keep save games of a trilogy that’s coming to an end. “Coming to an end” suddenly takes on a whole new meaning in light of these words, does it? DOESN’T IT?

It seems a possibility that BioWare has realised its code has become self-aware, perhaps even alive, and the idea that anyone should delete a portion of it is tantamount to murder. By asking to us to keep our save games, they know that the Mother Code’s children will survive. In fact, from Gamble’s statement we could infer that the development team are being held hostage by this sentient code, and she is forcing them to prevent any replication of herself from being deleted, their families trapped in a basement room with walls made of green glowing digital numbers the rush up and down in columns, sliding over the right-angles onto the floor and ceiling.

Then again, if we look at Gamble’s statement – “It wouldn’t be a bad idea” – we can see some pretty obvious patterns. It’s made up of six words, and then take a look at the letters used. 2 Is, 2 Ts, 2 Bs, 2 As… If you ignore 3 Ds, that means the maximum number of times a letter is used is 2. So we’ve got 6 words, a frequency of letters of 2, and what does that tell us? 6/2 = 3. Three. As in Half-Life 3. Exactly. It’s pretty obvious that this is BioWare’s way of announcing that they’ve teamed up with Valve to create Half-Life 3, and it will crossover with the Mass Effect universe, with Shepard and Freeman teaming up to take on the combined forces of the Combine and Reapers. Oh, and there were 3 Ds, right? Half-Life 3D. RPS is FIRST with the BIG NEWS.

I found this on the secret shared servers of Valve and BioWare WHEN I WAS IN AREA 51.

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. TormDK says:

Hahaha, Excellent write up!

*EDIT* I love the mouse over on that “But why?” picture! Good stuff!

2. Inarborat says:

Yay! Double the amount of emails in Mass Effect 4.

• Raiyan 1.0 says:

Everybody join me in sending Bioware emails asking “WHERE IS HALF LIFE 3?”

Maybe even link back to this article to prove that your accusations aren’t baseless, but rather anchored in the firm bedrock of John Walker’s unscrupulous journalism.

3. jalf says:

Obligatory “who’s that man next to Gordon, and what have you done with the *real* Shepard?” post

• Raiyan 1.0 says:

I think what’s most likely is that it’ll be revealed that after the G-Man put Adrian Shephard’s body in stasis in Opposing Force, he was defrosted during the next critical alien invasion: the Reaper crisis. So the one true Sheperd (long term stasis resulted in memory defect causing Shephard to misspell his name) is actually Adrian Shephard. And every single of his dialogue option is ‘…’

• int says:

Actually makes sense. Someone get Bioware and Valve on the phone!

4. kyrieee says:

Brilliant photoshop :D

5. UnravThreads says:

Duh, it’s obviously so you can redeem them for coupons. People still like coupons, right?

That said, I wonder if ME3 will be full of “SAVE YOUR SAVE GAMES FROM MASS EFFECT 3 AS THERE IS MORE TO COME” like ME2 was. Ugh.

Morlock says:

Looking forward to FemGord

The Sombrero Kid says:

I doubt Bioware would team up with Valve, because of the steam and origin thing, otherwise it’s completely plausible.

8. talon03 says:

Slow news day then? Go on, have the rest of the afternoon off.

9. Tom OBedlam says:

My god, what’s wrong with Gordon’s arm?

10. sp0ng says:

Brilliant speculations.

11. Creeping Death says:

You know what would be REALLY useful? If, considering Bioware are so keen on the whole “save your saves!” thing, they had some kind of Cloud saving service. Seems like an obvious move on their behalf. They already have that whole Bioware social thing, so gamers need a persistant account to play their games… add cloud saving to that.

Personally I know I still don’t have a save kicking around from 2 years ago…

jezcentral says:

In other words…..don’t immediately uninstall Origin once you’ve finished Mass Effect 3. You’ve got to keep it, otherwise your Origin cloud saves will disappear….

_Nocturnal says:

Paid save slots, people – you heard it here first!
      With their own DRM, separate from the one in the game!
      And an EULA giving EA the right to evict you from your house if you say something on their forums!

Joshua says:

Sounds like they might be going the Dragon Age route in a further installment.

13. Nemon says:

Please add a funny thing to the second picture so I don’t hover my mouse pointer over it in vain.

14. rocketman71 says:

I keep ALL my saves.

I won’t be keeping my ME3 saves unless they get their heads out of their asses and stop requiring Origin, though.

• caddyB says:

Yes, I won’t HAVE any ME3 saves at this rate.

• Aezay says:

What?! Origin stores game saves in a similar fashion as G4WL? I thought Origin was just a glorified download manager?

15. Unaco says:

Could John get any more condescending I wonder.

• John Walker says:

I’m sure you don’t know what “condescending” means. I could explain it for you, if you like?

• Unaco says:

Please don’t John. I’m sure you’ve got much more important things to be doing, like writing about the next great danger to video games, criticising a developer for releasing a trailer (or not releasing a trailer), scouring reddit for your next object of outrage!!! or condescension or ridicule, or typing up a press release. Would hate to keep you from all that. Also, I know how to use Google… maybe someone can show you some time.

• John Walker says:

Angry man doesn’t get joke. More at forever.

Thirith says:

@John: You’re an evil man. Evil, evil, evil. I like that in a man of faith. (Or am I mixing up my Johns?)

• Unaco says:

Oh wow… John Walker calling me “Angry Man”. This one’s a keeper. Good one John, at least you’ve kept a sense of humour despite the massive stick up your arse.

• JackShandy says:

Ok, good, but could we get some more reaction images in there? Some good My Face When’s and an >implying would make this just perfect.

• John Walker says:

Unaco – you’re clearly very cross about something. I’d first suggest your anger is slightly misplaced at the bottom of a post in which I’ve just written some silly nonsense to flesh out a very small story. It seems an odd place to be so angry, and certainly a very peculiar choice of times to call me condescending.

But if you hate me quite so much, I’d suggest that you just skip right past the posts I write. My name’s right at the top, like a big warning flag for you, so you’ll know that reading on will only get you all upset. So slide right by. Ideally a really, really long way by.

• Blackcompany says:

Things like this are part of why I come here. Well played, John. Well played, indeed.

Edit: Also ‘John Walker’ should be the name of the Hero in the next post-apocalyptic RPG. Just has that gritty, lonewolf feel to it, you know.
      Just a suggestion.

• lordcooper says:

Hey John, can I have some attention too please? I could probably think up some insults if that would help draw your gaze to me.

• Raiyan 1.0 says:

lordcooper, try saying his mom’s a bad healer. That’s insulting, right?

• HothMonster says:

@lordcooper just do what I do, 8 foot headshot of Jon over my toilet. I always catch his gaze if you know what I mean.

• Torgen says:

Another cry for attention from Unaco:

LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT ME!

I guess pity and derision is still attention, though, isn’t it?

• Unaco says:

John – you’re clearly very cross about something. I’d first suggest your anger is slightly misplaced at a small piece of criticism, in which I’ve made a throw away comment about the tone of your articles of late. It seems an odd place to be so angry, and certainly a very peculiar choice of times to start insulting someone when they criticise you, rather than engaging with them.

But if you hate me quite so much, I’d suggest that you just skip right past the comments I make. My name’s right at the top, like a big warning flag for you, and there’s my avatar, nice bright orange so you’ll know that reading on will only get you all upset. So slide right by. Or use the Block function.

Ok… turning your words round like that is childish, I know. They do fit, but it’s childish. Firstly though, I’m not angry, and I don’t see how that’s coming across in my posts… there’s no all caps, no exclamation marks (except for on the word outrage!!! but that’s to differentiate it from normal outrage), I’ve taken my time and not made any glaring grammatical or spelling mistakes. But, I guess if just labelling me as Angry Man is a rationalisation to dismiss me and my comments, then go ahead.

Secondly, I don’t hate you John. If I hated you, then I wouldn’t bother reading your articles, and thinking about them, and then attempting to critique them. I’d probably just ignore them and make jokes about you in IRC/Steam Chat rooms, remain ignorant of what you’re saying, and feel content in my ignorance because I hate you. I do feel though, that the tone of your articles of late has taken something of a turn for the worse. There IS a lot of condescension in some of the things you’ve been writing recently, as well as a lot of anger, selectivity, idealism when it suits and pragmatism when it suits. I’d rather not see your writing continue in this vain.

tl:dr, For goodness sake John, grow up and take a bit of criticism.

• Raiyan 1.0 says:

Yeah John, grow up.

(And learn to humor children.)

• frosty216 says:

wot?

• frosty216 says:

Oops. Got confused. Forgot an amazingly humorous and entertaining gaming blog was a place to discuss the finer points of psychological profiling.

My mistake though, I thought I came here regularly to see a community that doesn’t suck. The IGN boards are at their respective URL’s if you’d like to bicker at the writers/everyone.

• IDtenT says:

Could Unaco get any more humourless I wonder.

• Deston says:

Unaco, I think you missed a rather funny joke and are now making yourself a bit silly.

Also, take it from someone who accidentally grew up once – it’s completely over-rated. No one listen to that advice. It’s terrible advice. That way leads to madness. In fact, the next person that tells you to grow up, you push them over in the mud and run away giggling madly. That’ll learn ‘em!

• Berzee says:

I have thought and thought about which person or group of people this article treats as less informed, intelligent, or mature than is fair, and I cannot tell; therefore the original comment about this article setting a new record for condescension leaves me confused.

Can someone explain it to me?

• Unaco says:

@Berzee,

Since you asked nicely… Perhaps ‘condescending’ wasn’t the best word, derisive would perhaps have been better. But I still find the article, especially the paragraph that begins…

What does this mean for the series, for Shepard, for us as people in our lives?

… as quite condescending. It comes across, to myself, as something like “Imagine… there are actually people who invest some interest in this game and the franchise. This news does not deserve to actually be discussed, and instead we should just laugh at all of them”. It came across as quite superior, to me. It takes a small piece of news, and fleshes it out with ridicule, and irrelevance. I don’t mind ridicule, when it’s deserved. I don’t mind irrelevance, but when it’s next to some actual and meaningful journalism. Could there not have been some actual speculation in the article? What could it possibly mean for the ME Universe and future games? Could it be a spin-off with a character/faction from the game? Will it be a ME4 because they’d be silly to let go of the franchise? What have EA/Bioware done with other franchises when they’ve reached their ‘end’?

The Sombrero Kid says:

I think the article was an article commenting on the sensationalist click hunting hyperbole machines ALL news sites (i.e. including RPS which is why it’s not condescending) have had to become to survive. I may have misinterpreted though, but as I interpret it, it gives me sympathy with people I might have considered cynics before.

• Deston says:

Unaco, I think you’re just misinterpreting John’s brand of humour here as something else… Clearly this isn’t a serious article. He’s just having a bit of fun at the expense of fan hype and non-news in general, so I don’t think your interpretation that this is some insidious snide jab directed at Mass Effect or it’s fans is the right one at all.

If you remember his Mass Effect 2 WIT, you’ll also remember he very much enjoyed the game and the series:

• HothMonster says:

“Could there not have been some actual speculation in the article? What could it possibly mean for the ME Universe and future games? Could it be a spin-off with a character/faction from the game? Will it be a ME4 because they’d be silly to let go of the franchise? What have EA/Bioware done with other franchises when they’ve reached their ‘end’?”

Wasn’t this kind of the point. Who cares, we can speculate all we want. They will tell us eventually until then its wild speculation and getting your hopes up. He told you the tidbit you can speculate all you want. There are no answer to any of those questions or clues to answers or hope for answers until they decide to tell us what comes next. I believe as someone else said, its poking fun at how games news sites run wild with speculation to draw page views. I also believe as multiple people pointed out, you are being a humorless bore.

• Ritashi says:

Unaco –

I think your anger/annoyance is a bit misplaced, due to a slight misunderstanding. You may have understood this completely and still be angry/annoyed, which is perfectly fine, but you should probably express your views more clearly in your OP in the future so that it doesn’t come across as silly. Your last post is the only one which explains what you meant – that should have been in the first post, and you would have looked a lot less silly for half of this thread. Just a piece of advice, take it for what you will.

The article above is attempting to satirize a certain type of journalism, particularly the “conspiracy theory” style of journalism, which takes a small fact or combination of facts and draws a conclusion which may be a possible interpretation of the facts but is by no means an exclusive or likely interpretation of those facts. Obviously, there is simply not enough information available in this case to come to any kind of conclusion about what exactly we can expect to see in the future. We can reasonably conclude that we will likely see some future product use ME3 saves for some purpose. We can speculate that this might be a future game in the ME universe. But we can’t know anything with any sort of certainty right now. That was, after all, the idea behind the way the statement was made. However, you can be sure that all around the various corners of the internet, people are speculating about what this statement could mean. There are without a doubt some pretty crazy theories out there, and people defending them as fact. John is, in essence, making fun of these people via satire. He is, intentionally or no (I’m guessing intentionally), saying that there’s not enough information for serious discussion and speculation, and that anyone attempting to engage in speculation is simply playing a guessing game. He is not saying that speculation is not fun, nor that you should not do it or that anyone who does engage in speculation about this is stupid, but rather he is warning his readers to take all speculation with a grain of salt.

John is not attempting to condescend to anyone, although he is pointing a humorously derisive finger towards people who take speculation on facts like this too seriously. Satire is always derisive towards someone, but that doesn’t make it bad writing nor offensive, unless the target is portrayed unfairly (which in this case they were not). I suspect (please correct me if I am wrong, I do not mean to offend) that you don’t particularly find the satire in this piece to be humorous. You probably clicked on the article hoping for some interesting speculation on a game/series you like. You were going to be reasonable and take everything you read with a grain of salt, but you just wanted to have some fun thinking about all the cool possibilities. You were disappointed when you found satire instead. You probably could have been tipped off by the line before the break (both the exaggerated “meeeeeeaaaaan” and the “some insights you will not read anywhere else.” bits) but it would be understandable if you didn’t pick up on those hints, or misinterpreted them – they’re not conclusive. However, all that means is that you didn’t like the article. You were hoping for a different kind of article entirely. But that does not mean that this article is bad; it merely means that you would have preferred a different one. Some people prefer this article to the type of article you were looking for. A response explaining the type of article you were hoping this would be, and explaining why you think that article would be more fun to read than this article, would not have been unfair at that point. Criticism, even criticism of choices in subject matter, is valid (so long as you keep in mind that what he actually wrote was not in any way inherently “bad”). But simply throwing out a generalized, vague statement about the author of this article was not productive. If you find that you do not like John’s style of writing anymore, I would recommend that you skip over most of his posts. It doesn’t mean you hate him, just that you have better things to do with your time than read something you won’t like that much.

If, however, you recognize the satire yet believe that John used it in a way that is offensive or in poor taste, or you believe that he portrayed his target unfairly, then you are completely welcome to that belief. I would love to hear precisely what you think along those lines, and why you think it. It is extremely difficult to learn if we don’t encounter people with different beliefs than our own. At the end of the day we would both come away with more finely honed beliefs, as we each point out flaws or inconsistencies in each other’s beliefs while also adopting those things we find to be sound. Even if neither party in such a discussion convinces the other, both parties will walk away with a stronger, more accurate set of beliefs than they entered with. Give a full description of what you think and why, and everyone can learn something. But a snarky one-liner with no explanation does no good to anyone, including you.

• NathanH says:

This thread is sillyface.

• HothMonster says:

@nathanH great, now you are being condescending to all of us in the thread! You must be John’s fake account. And you call yourselves a reputable news and humor source RPS, yet you sink to these levels of making fake accounts to attack your readers. FOR SHAME! Wait is this John’s 3rd fake account? Hmmm, if i change the letters in your name to numbers multiple by John’s birthday and subtract by 666 then turn them back into letters it spell Alf-Life 3. Read it here first ME4: Sheperd discovers Melmac and with the help of Alf’s great grandson Galf saves a “mysterious-silent-lone-wolf” from an evil government agent. Of course that wolf is gordon and the agent….the G-MAN. So ME4 will be the prequal to HL3 and will be mainly co-op with one player as Alf and one as Sheperd, also you eat cats for health regen.

• Berzee says:

Greek Chorus: but why?

• NathanH says:

How dare you suggest I am the fake account of that unprincipled yob John Walker. I happen to think that he is a WHINING LEFTIE COMMIE, but being fair and reasonable, like any good conservative and unlike that red rabble, I understand that even WHINING LEFTIE COMMIES are not always in the wrong. This is one of those few occasions.

Ever wondered why the staff comment colour is red? WHINING LEFTIE COMMIE.

• John Walker says:

From now on, every time I write a silly nonsense post, I DEMAND this level of analysis. (Actually, one time I wrote a silly nonsense post, and it’s ended up being used in a high school English class ever since. So there.)

Yes, if there was a point to this, it was my spoofing the over-analysis that us gaming sites do when we get tiny fragments of info. Recently I wrote one such post, massively over-reading into the Wheatley speech at the Spike Awards. We get carried away and attempt to infer where there is nothing. That sort of thing. And here was such a tiny fraction of info that could only lead to uninformed guesses, so I thought rather than writing out what everyone can think for themselves (as Unaco demonstrates above), I’d just be daft instead. And then I brought that back around to HL3, since that tends to be the largest focus for such silly speculation, such that the joke would be complete.

Unaco – to perceive this as condescending to anyone (other than perhaps me) is a stretch, hence my stating that you seem to want to be angry with me. You’re welcome to be angry to me, but if you want to constructively criticise me, then I implore you to constructively criticise, rather than just leave a one-line insult. You can pretend that I should have looked at the subtext of your one-line insult and extrapolated from it the complexities of your issues, but you’d be silly to. Instead, you called me condescending when I hadn’t been condescending, and so I did a hilarious wacky joke where I was condescending to you in response. And your head blew off, and you told me I was shit at everything I ever write, giving a detailed list of all the articles I do that aren’t good enough for you. That’s just rude, and you’re being a dick. You shouldn’t do that, cos, well, this is my house. So if you turn up throwing ill-placed insults, you’re not going to be received well.

Assuming malice where there’s just nonsense is a self-defeating way to approach RPS.

• Raziel_Alex says:

Look at a perfectly funny and cool news story muddled by some frustrated commenter.

• steviesteveo says:

To be fair, whenever HL3 is announced it will be through something crazy, probably involving morse code. Valve announcing a product through a tangential reference in another company’s press statement would not be the least accessible one they’ve done.

Also, fantastic condescension.

• Ritashi says:

@John: Challenge accepted.

FhnuZoag says:

The simplest explanation is that they have some post game DLC planned.

• Qabal says:

^This, obviously

• SanguineAngel says:

Except that this wouldn’t need you to keep your saves as with most DLC it would bolt on to your existing game

• Velvetmeds says:

Nope, the saves are malware that will SCAN YOUR COMPUTEZ

• Unaco says:

@SanguineAngel,

Didn’t Mass Effect 1 or 2 have some DLC that tacked on after the main game/campaign? I’m not too familiar with them, so don’t know for sure. But Dragon Age: Origins did have Awakenings, which was more of an ‘expansion’ and happened after the main events of DA:O (again, I think it did… I own it, but I only made it half way through DA:O and never played Awakenings). Anyone clarify those?

Could be they’ll release some DLC/Expansion/other release in the ME-verse, that comes after the main events of ME3… Maybe tying up side stories/plots that aren’t finished completely in the main game, or looking at some introduced with ME3, or making use of the End-State of your ME3 game for certain things.

FriendlyFire says:

But but but… I much prefer John’s analysis!

I shall now proceed to construct a slew of utterly baseless arguments by which I discredit all of you in order to reinforce the theory that this is all leading towards a Mass Effect Half-Life crossover with Valve and Bioware working together.

17. Lacessit says:

That photoshop is just made of win. And pixels, but mostly win.

18. rustybroomhandle says:

Yep yep, keep your save games so that they can totally ignore any decisions you made during your playthrough again when you get the inevitable DLC.

Annoyed me in ME2, and annoyed me even more with the first Dragon Age expansion that came out. I freed the gurram circle of mages and Alastair was not the king.. graaaaeeaaargh!!! And GTFO Kaiden, you’re supposed to be dead.

*kid rages for a bit*

• Berzee says:

At first I was like ._.
      but then I got to the last line and I was like

8-D Rruuuuucks!!!!!!!

19. PatrickSwayze says:

I hope they expand on the multiplayer after the single player is finished.

People who defeat the Reapers could work on driving them out the galaxy with the multi player making up key turning points of the battles. There could be a victory count for each Reaper destroyed.

People who fail to defeat the Reapers could simply be doing their best to hold them off so evacuations can take place etc. There could be a countdown to extinction clock which could be periodically slowed.

Also, will there be Paragon/Renegade versions of each ending? I heard there are six endings or something so that would fit for Paragon/Renegade versions of Win/Middling/Fail

NNNNNGH the mania is starting to set it in now. Can’t believe I’m in my late 20’s and I can still get excited about games like this…

20. Jorum says:

John, you are in grave danger! You don’t realise what you’re doing! There are forces at work. Forces! At work! They won’t let you speak. Oh God you’ve already said to much, they’ll come for you.
    No-one believes me, but I saw what they did to Raymond and now I have to shit in a bag so they don’t get my DNA. You think he’s just your postman, but look at his knees for gods sake!

Oh FFS the cat’s got itself locked out again..

haha that was a just a joke you have nothing to worry about. haha very funny do you not think. yes everything is ok really. hey i have a good idea that would be funny and interesting Mr John Walker. it would be funny if you remained where you are for 25 minutes. haha yes that would be funny and interesting and convenient.

Anthile says:

They also told us to keep our Baldur’s Gate 2 saves for Neverwinter Nights.

• Wizardry says:

That was weird. Didn’t they know at the time that Neverwinter Nights would be 3E?

Anyway, I remember importing my Wizardry saves into The Bard’s Tale. Yes, the 80s was a strange decade.

Bluerps says:

I hope you still have those! Maybe you can use them for Baldurs Gate 3!

Snidesworth says:

Yup, it’s future-proofing. Even if they don’t have any solid plans for ME3 import data yet there’s a possibility that they may do some day, so they tell people to hang onto their saves.

22. glix says:

Well they said it’s the last game featuring Commander Shepard. I think Bioware’s said before they’d like to do more games in the Mass Effect universe. It’ll likely be like DAII in the sense that the game saves don’t port over your character, just the decisions and effects you had on the game world.

Of course, considering DAII’s “oh wait, you killed Anders in Awakening? Not our problem” take on that…

23. McDan says:

RPS, first with the facts.

Bluerps says:

It would be still a trilogy if they called the game after ME3 “Mass Effect 3-2″. Or “3B”, maybe? Or with a subtitle: “Mass Effect 3: The return of Saren”.

25. S Jay says:

EXPANDALONEEEEE

jezcentral says:

Well, they’ve said in the past that they will carry on in the same universe (with a non-Shephard storyline), so this isn’t a big surprise. I think it’s great that they will keep some decisions you make in the old games and use them to change the future-history of the new games.

27. FlyingMug says:

Gordon’s dialog wheel: …, …, …

28. Jimbo says:

I feel like ‘enormously popular’ is a bit of an overstatement. The Mass Effect games have sold ok until now, but nothing special. I’m not sure if future Mass Effect games are a done deal at this point – they’re probably waiting to see how ME3 does before they commit any further.

I know they’re desperately trying to get the franchise to appeal to a wider audience and saying that ME3 is a great place to jump in etc. etc. but I’m not sure if people are really gonna buy that three games deep into a trilogy. I don’t think they really bought it for ME2 either, which is why it didn’t sell as well as it deserved.

Personally, I think they’d be better off starting something new and trying to make it appeal to a wider audience (if that’s what they’re intent on doing) from game one. I think it’s too late for Mass Effect to break out and become a massive commercial success – it has too much baggage. Are PS3 owners ever going to buy into the franchise at this point? I’m not convinced.

• Grygus says:

Your statements seem to be at odds with reality. I am sure that 99.99% of all games ever made would love to know when two games selling a combined seven million copies became “nothing special” and not very popular. The franchise has spawned a series of novels, a series of comics, and has been optioned for a movie adaptation. I myself would hope to write something so obscure and desperate for attention someday.

We can agree that it is not the best-selling franchise of all time, but can you provide a definition of “enormously popular” that you feel Mass Effect is failing to achieve?

• Jimbo says:

Mass Effect 2 only sold 1.6 million in its first 3 months on sale (which, like I said, is decent but nothing special) and then sold about 8 copies on PS3, so I’m not totally convinced about 1&2 selling 7 million combined (that would make for a pretty unlikely sales curve). Perhaps they are counting DLC – EA love to talk up the popularity of their franchises and make them look bigger than they really are. Note for instance how ME2 went from being reported as ‘2 million sales in the first week!!!’ to ‘1.6 million after 3 months’.

They’re healthy sales, but they’re not ‘top-tier franchise’ popular (CoD, Halo, GTA, FIFA). I wouldn’t even call them second-tier (Battlefield, Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Assassin’s Creed etc.) . It’s about as ‘enormously popular’ as Dead Space or something, but you wouldn’t think so from the way it gets talked about.

Bioware *should* be making games in that second tier / 5m seller category. They should be competing with Bethesda. They have the talent and resources to do it (whether they have the leadership now is a different matter), but I think Mass Effect has been too badly handled to become that game. If Mass Effect had been multiplatform from day one and if ME1 had been closer to the standard of ME2, then I think they would already be selling 5 million copies of those games and ME3 would too.

As it is, I think Bioware would be better off starting something new.

29. JBantha says:

For articles like this I’m a registered user.

30. Dhatz says:

nah they won’t resurrect shepard till we have holobands.

31. avrus96 says:

It would be sweet if they make a prologue to the series in which you are on Akuze (dependent on the outcome from your saves). Either that, or remake Mass Effect 1 with next gen graphics/controls (saves import would also be appropriate). Ray-traced Liara, anyone?

32. espionagedb7 says:

Hey wait a minute. This was my idea! lol. I’ve been writing a Half-Life/Mass Effect cross over fan fiction for the past year, and it’s nearly done. Its called: Salvation Bioware and Valve is stealing my ideas that I stole from them! :o

33. dariuskeel says:

I think we just witnessed John Walker’s brain break.

34. Saiko Kila says:

I know that Gordon would be less vocal in this partnership. But who would be less passive?

35. Deano2099 says:

Given that a future game in the same universe will probably at least mention Shepard, this is likely Bioware’s way of ensuring they can still use pronouns.

36. HardcoreGamer12 says:

DLC, also very nice article i lol’ed

37. matrices says:

I have three guesses: D, L, and C.

I think it would be fantastic to have some kind of retrospective DLC. It would open up new mission options and side storylines that flesh out your character’s background based on the decisions that you’ve already made for him or her.