Stealth, Bombs: Ghost Recon Future Soldier

By Adam Smith on February 3rd, 2012 at 10:43 am.

Harry Potter: all grown up, same bag of tricks

BWAARRRR, LOCK AND LOAD, BWARRRRR, LAUNCH DETECTED, BWEEEEEEEE, RATATATATAATA…ARRGHLE…KABOOM…shhhhhhhh.

That seems to be the script for Ghost Recon: Future Soldier judging by the gameplay footage in this new trailer. Sure, there are missiles launching and helicopters strafing entire continents with vicious intent, but there’s also sneaky silenced sniping, creeping up and stabbing, and a great deal of encouragement to fight dirty. “Only the dead fight fair” is the tagline and it’s not a curveball announcing the arrival of hordes of rulebook-wielding zombies but rather a way of saying, ‘do whatever is necessary’. Position yourself within a shrub upon a hilltop and observe the trailer through a thermal imaging binocuscope.

I’m not a huge fan of military shooters but I do like sneaking around and infiltrating things, be they terrorist camps, cookie jars or Lord Bafford’s Manor. I also enjoy cooperating. I’m a team player, it says so on every job application I’ve ever sent. It might shock you to hear that I also work well independently and using my own initiative.

The stealth parts of the trailer look like something I might enjoy and I hope the game has more of that and less of the EVERYTHING IS EXPLODING AT ONCE parts.

, , .

1. Ultra Superior says:

That’s why they won’t elect Ron Paul. The powerful lobby of the FPS-gaming-industrial complex. America that doesn’t go to wars? Activision would be ruined unless Zynga would buy it.

• atticus says:

That – and the fact that, you know, he’s a crazy racist.

• Ultra Superior says:

Maybe, who knows. Crazy racist ? Nah. He delivered hundreds of black and hispanic babies, so I don’t think so.

Theoretically speaking, if he was a racist – isn’t peaceful ‘hate’ slightly better than aggressive love?

• roryok says:

agressive love doesn’t mean what you think it means

• Ultra Superior says:

I know what meaning you mean. Thats the beauty of it.

2. Network Crayon says:

Is there a ghost recon predator mod? if not i see an opportunity there.

• Electricleash says:

Or you could… you know… play Alien Vs Predator ;)

3. WhatKateDoes says:

“hordes of rulebook-wielding zombies”

Its still early, but funniest imagery statement of the day award price goes to you! \o/

• Ultra Superior says:

The picture is truly amazing. I admit I stared at it for at least a minute.

Well done done mr.Smith.
      As always.

4. DizzyrupTor says:

Looks like a pure console-orientated shooter to me. At least judging from that trailer…

Either way its boobisoft so wont be bothering :)

• Felixader says:

You know i was going to come and moan how making everything that you don’t like “the consoles fault” is stupid and doesn’t actually help our situation (what with me beeing “raised” on the consoles and now playing stuff that is actually good on no matter what platform (just looove the Minecrafts and some of the indie sidescrollers of various genres =-O)).

But than i though: “You know what. You don’t want it? Doesn’t matter, i will love playing and enjoying it despite your senseless bithching (if it is actually any good)!”

Altougth i honestly can understand and support your position regarding Ubisoft and the rest of the whole DRM-Shebang. Also when the rumors about the next cosoles are true i will have to leave the new consoles laying aside the road and venture on to the PC and Indie Titles entirely.

5. asshibbitty says:

Only the dead fight fair, only the dead get pissed on. That’s the Tom Clancy promise.

6. rustybroomhandle says:

BECOME the shrub!

7. Bellowhead says:

I think this is the best game trailer I’ve ever seen.

8. Simon Hawthorne says:

Not available on Tuesdays.

9. Capt. Eduardo del Mango says:

More Call of Duty rubbish. Don’t worry, R6:3 Raven Shield is only a fiver.

lurkalisk says:

If only more people played it.

I’m really sick of the “WE have to make the tough decisions and do what’s NECESSARY! MORAL AMBIGUITYYY!” thing all modern military shooters are obligated to do now… None of that nonsense in the good ol’ RVS days…

10. ch4os1337 says:

To be honest this looks like a joke compared to GRAW 1 on PC.

11. CaspianRoach says:

This looks great and all that but I have a really tough question: how easy it is to control? I fear that controlling this game will be akin to controlling a fighter jet, lots of buttons everywhere and things like that.

• kovy36 says:

no more buttons than a console controller I’d wager, contextual actions instead of “do what you want, when you want”. this game has on-rails written all over it.

12. Moni says:

Gamespot have a bunch of demo videos on their Youtube channel. It looks pretty much like Rainbow Six Vegas or GRAW but brought more up to date with some elements from Splinter Cell Conviction.

That’s both good and bad, because I liked all those games, they had a nice balance between sneaking and loud shooting, but the super early demos of Future Soldier looked like they were going to do some really interesting things with the gadgets, which looks like that’s mostly gone.

13. roryok says:

Does anyone else think that predator camouflage effect looks like a texture bug?

“We ready to launch the new Ghost Recon game yet?”
    “No, there’s a big texture bug. The main player keeps turning invisible”
    “So stick FUTURE in the title and launch it!”
    “I’m too underpaid to argue. ok.”

14. lordhughes says:

I miss real tactical shooters, GRAW 1, R6:RS and before. When being tactical meant you could complete the mission undetected.

Any money this game is sneaky sneaky in, scripted guard spots you as you get the hostage then all out boomtastic orgy to the end point.

I miss real shooters :(

jimbobjunior says:

BRAWWWMP

16. zreaperz says:

I feel sorry for the FPS genre. The mainstream is raping it to shit. Soon we´ll have fps games where you just hold the mouse button while the movie plays. Also every 5 minutes you have to reload.

El_MUERkO says:

Blue Beret wearing bad guys?

“We’re going up against the most evil scum bags on the planet!!! U.N. Peace Keepers!!!”

18. Pharos says:

Is that Steve Blum I hear?

• Squire says:

Steve Blum’s Voice Acting & Dubstep – Two things that I’m getting increasingly tired of hearing.

19. Starchy says:

Total garbage. Nice of Ubisoft to completely destroy the Ghost Recon name once and for all. Played through the original games recently on co-op and they were brilliant, old fashioned stealth action, not this Call of Wank bollocks. I feel old..

liquidsoap89 says:

Back when this game was first conceived Anti Aliasing hadn’t been invented yet…

maninahat says:

A super soldier who can see through walls, turn invisible and has the entire American military at their disposal, versus developing nation, untrained insurgents holding small arms. Where is the challenge in this day and age? And should a military game really be selling itself on the fact that it disregards human rights? I couldn’t imagine a movie getting away with selling itself on promised white phosphorus and civilian murder.

Maltose says:

Wait, but aren’t ghosts usually dead?

23. Wonko the Sane says:

Looks interesting, in a “Modern Warfare, but with a few more interesting game mechanics” sort of way.

Pity it’s Ubisoft, so I won’t be buying it. I kind of like the look of the last Splinter Cell as well, but “boycott” does not mean not buying games you don’t like and weren’t going to buy anyway.