Vroom! Project CARS Evolving Fast

By Jim Rossignol on February 4th, 2012 at 12:32 pm.

Fast, you see, because racing cars are fast… I am good at this, eh? Anyway, Slightly Mad send word that their ongoing community-focused racing game, Project CARS, has a new release version available to everyone who has signed up, and has supplied a fancy gallery of car-images from the game, which you can see here and below. (Clicky for full size.) The new building includes a “brand-new 2011 Formula A car” with “more than 700hp of engine power.” As well as new content “including the Ariel Atom V8, the 250cc Superkart and the Northampton circuit.” Also, somewhat bizarrely, they have announced that the game has new force feedback features which are tuned against the racing skills of the man who used to be The Stig from Top Gear, Ben Collins. So that’s a thing that happened. Fancy racing pics below!

, .

1. iARDAs says:

I really would love to get my hands on to this game.

Graphics look great to me/

• Bonedwarf says:

It is. The graphics are astonishing. As a hardcore race simmer I have to say this is the best looking sim right now.

My only complaint is the recommendation I wipe my settings every weekly build. That’s getting old.

• Slinky MCPunchfist says:

You can get it now if you help fund it by contributing 12 bucks you get access to the monthly builds and the full game when it releases

2. pmanpman says:

The game is still unplayable for a select percentage of the population due to input lag, for everyone else, they tell me it’s amazing.

Unfortunately, I’m one one the people with an unplayable game.

• Bonedwarf says:

I consider myself lucky I don’t have the lag as I’ve seen people with very similar hardware with it.

I also have filtering on for the controller which folk say causes it but I’m not seeing any.

Perhaps I’m just crap.

3. Premium User Badge Chaz says:

Wow, that looks like the kind of thing that makes me want to go out and buy a wheel for my PC.

4. MadMatty says:

Looks gorgeous- im stil spinning around with GRiD, tho its online multiplayer has gone offline :/

• GLSteve says:

You can still play LAN games via GameRanger. There were quite a few races going on last night too.

Project Cars looks fantastic, but I dislike the way they split up subscriptions, what am I missing if I only get the 10$ one?

Meh.

• DeathCarrot says:

€10 gets monthly builds, €25 gets weekly builds.

• MadMatty says:

thx steve :) will try- we tried with hamachi, but it wouldnt detect

5. paterah says:

Looks like they added hands in the cockpit view since last time I checked, is that so? (fairly unimportant to sim racing enthusiasts I know)

• DeathCarrot says:

For a couple of cars (at least the F1 and R18 equivalents), the rest will get them eventually.

• Jason Moyer says:

Is it possible to disable the hands/wheel from the cockpit view?

6. Premium User Badge Colthor says:

The game looks lovely. Shame the website doesn’t seem to tell you what you’re getting, or for how much, until you sign up for a forum. I have no interest in their forum, and I’m not going to sign up for it. I don’t want to be contacted, or a member of a “community”. So I guess I can’t help fund their game.

Isn’t it obvious? Don’t make people jump through stupid hoops before they can give you money.

• DeathCarrot says:

You need to be a member of the forum to be able to play.

More details on what you get here: http://www.wmdportal.com/about/

• asshibbitty says:

Pretty much what I wanted to post. Hoops. Money. Why is there still no big PAY button on the site?

• DeathCarrot says:

Yeah, it used to be a lot clearer. You can’t even see the prices without signing up to the forum anymore :S.

• Premium User Badge Colthor says:

@DeathCarrot:
      Ta.
      But even that information’s not useful for people who just want to drive around in a doomed Ariel Atom – they seem to be trying to sell other developers on their payment model – and needing a forum account to play a game doesn’t make a lick of sense. I appreciate it’s a very early build, so they want to get feedback and bug reports, but it feels like they’re just trying to put people off and hide information in a great big sea of words. At the moment the “I can’t be bothered” stage is reached before you can even pay, never mind not being bothered to tell them about a bug.

Why don’t they just have a very simple page, either the frontpage or linked from a very big “buy now” button, that tells you the prices, exactly what you get (“weekly builds” doesn’t mean much, especially when “fortnightly” seems to be more expensive. Is it a subscription? One off payment? Do I get all builds forever?), restrictions (DRM or whatever, for which the correct answer is “none”), and has a couple of big payment buttons?

(Sorry, I just get annoyed when people, especially people doing something that looks pretty good, seem to be being obviously stupid.)

• DeathCarrot says:

Your forum username/password works as your in-game login, which is required at least while it’s in development to prevent unauthorised usage. You don’t need to read the forum or post bugs if you don’t feel like it, just get the fresh download whenever a new build is available.

The bi-weekly build is twice a week rather than once a fortnight. The payment is a one off thing at least while the game is in development, you might even get a free upgrade to a better package if you contribute. Additionally, you just need to pay the difference to get more frequent builds, so it’s safe to become an Junior member off the bat and upgrade to Team Member if you want more frequent builds (which is what I did).

You do make a good point, though. I’ll post on their forums and see if something can’t be done about it.

Also, I just beat Ben Collins’ best lap at Imola with an Audi R18 (or equivalent) D:

• Devrey says:

The project looks lovely indeed, but they seriously need to put more effort in designing their website. With more effort then it should take, I found the system specs:

MINIMUM SPEC

CPU – 3.0GHz Dual-Core, 2.4GHz Quad-Core
      GRAPHICS – nVidia 9600 GT 512Mb, ATI Radeon HD 4750 512Mb
      MEMORY – 2Gb RAM (3Gb-4Gb recommended)
      CONNECTION – Continuous Internet

I don’t want that last line.

• Dhatz says:

would be logical to show the prices before telling you register first. But I see why it’s so, cause once you are registered, the difference between buy and no buy is just your free funds.

7. rockman29 says:

This game looks incredible. I’m a huge, HUGE fan of Gran Turismo 5. This is the first game other than Gran Turismo which makes me say ‘holy crap…. I remember I LOVE cars.’

• trjp says:

I don’t get the connection between a fetish simulator with crap handing and no gameplay (Gran Turismo) and this???

If you had any interest in actually ‘racing’ you’d not go near GT with a bargepole…

• paterah says:

trjp GT series is about LOVING cars as the guy above you said he did, not just racing. It’s a car experience not just racing that’s why people who love cars like it (same with Forza series). He made a valid statement no need to jump him.

• Jason Moyer says:

The GT series is more for obsessive/compulsive collectors than for people who actually like cars.

• Bonedwarf says:

GT and Forza have always been Pokemon with cars.

GT is the better series. GT is about loving cars. Forza is about painting them with stupid designs and crappy online racing. Forza is so massively flawed it makes me want to run back to my beloved GT series. (PSP version is ace.)

• Premium User Badge Llewyn says:

@Bonedwarf: Take your ludicrous console fanboy crap back to GTPlanet where it belongs.

8. DeathCarrot says:

Been a member for a while, it’s great to get something new every week, you also get a good insight into game development. The game itself it shaping up really well – throwing the Atom V8 around Imola is great fun :)

9. Premium User Badge phuzz says:

What car is that in the third screenshot down (black car facing right)?

• DeathCarrot says:

Gumpert Apollo S

• Fierce says:

I had to do a double-take when I saw that screenshot.

The accuracy of the grass around the tires looked so amazing, I literally thought that was a picture of someones car in the middle of a park or something.

Gorgeous.

10. buzzmong says:

Shiver me timbers, a couple of those screen shots look just like photos if you simply glance at them.

11. DocSeuss says:

I just spent several hours driving Forza. I really love it, especially as someone who is not a huge car buff (PILOTS REPRESENT!). Unlocking stuff is fun, customization is cool (if overwhelming), and driving feels delicious. I loves me my ’69 Nissan Fairlady, and I love how I can race my little eight year old sister and turn off the driving assist to make things more even. It’s got its problems, though–for one thing, there’s a lack of event types one can do (I’d love to try some drifting or rally racing!).

Gran Turismo 5, on the other hand, was quite boring.

Which one does Project CARS compare to?

Also, regarding all-in-one car sims that would do regular racing, drifting, rally racing, and everything in between: are there any out there?

• iainl says:

Forza 4 has drift events and even a twisty Japanese mountain road to take one’s rally car sideways up. Sadly, you can’t do the drifting, ten pin bowling or car football in offline two-player, just racing.

12. Spakkenkhrist says:

I am giving these people my money.

13. Domothy says:

Is it really worth shelling out over twice as much for the weekly builds, as opposed to barely a tenner for the monthly builds?

• Domothy says:

Sweet Moses, they’ve recently added a ‘Northampton’ track – my home town! Whether they mean Rockingham, Santa Pod, or Silverstone – who knows! But I’m now a Team Member either way.

14. Dhatz says:

I’m positively surprised by these full DH looks.
    The Gumpert Apollo shot looks realistic eno-AAAAGH those mointains! , KILL EM WITH GRAPHICS!