In Spiritum Sequitur: Sanctum 2 Announced

By Adam Smith on February 7th, 2012 at 2:11 pm.

Imagine this with the astonishing graphics of 2013. Crikey!

Top notch first-person space tower defense malarkey, Sanctum, is going to have a baby! Imagine that. The offspring will take the form of a sequel, which is going to dally with the consoles on the sly but if it’s as enjoyable as the original, I’m sure that won’t stop us from greeting it with delighted ‘awwws’ and dreadful babyspeak. Work has already begun at Coffee Stain Studios, who reckon they sold 300,000 copies of the first, but we shouldn’t expect Sanctum 2 before 2013 apparently. It’s also worth nothing that Sanctum is available for £2.37 on Steam for a few hours.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. InternetBatman says:

I found the difficulty curve for Sanctum to be a bit unbalanced in single-player, but the game is reasonably fun. The hidden objects in every level are awesome.

2. Echo Black says:

I’m not typically a pedant about typos but you spelled the bloody name of the game wrong in the news header, Adam.

3. Hodge says:

Was the first one any good? Somehow it got onto my Steam list and I’ve been wondering whether or not I should play it.

• Shortwave says:

It’s sooo cheap that I’m going to say yes. Not saying it’s not a really fun game but for me it’s one you HAVE to play with friends to enjoy properly. Sometimes coordinating strategy with strangers in it can be frustrating. The price point just makes it an easy buy. Don’t expect much graphically and what not, but the gameplay is top notch and they have great asses. My friends and I spend at least two minutes checking out each others asses.

• applecup says:

And in the game?

• Dom_01 says:

The game is fun for an evening co-op session with three friends, but really there isn’t a lot of replay value in it.

I’m not sure how I feel about a sequel, but I will wait for news to see how it goes.

• Net_Bastard says:

Single Player? Hell no.

Online/Local Multiplayer? Freaking amazing. One of the best Tower Defense games I’ve played in a while.

• bear912 says:

The text chat has text-to-speech. Isn’t that basically all you need to know?

aeiouaeiouaeiouaeiouaeiouaeiouaeiouaeiouaeiouaeiouaeiouaeiouaeiou john madden john madden john madden john madden

… and so forth. Worth playing with friends, just for that.

• LionsPhil says:

…and the TTS pitch-bends downwards if you move into a slowfield, depending on how upgraded it is.

But, yeah, it’s pretty excellent tower defence, because it keeps the maze-building side then adds reasonable and refreshingly-fluid-by-today’s-standards FPS (Rocket-jumping! Bunnyhopping!) on top and some weakpoint mechanics that mean your shooting is worthwhile despite the towers doing most of the work.

News of a distinct sequel is a bit of a shame, really, though. I’d rather see more expansions for the original, since it very much feels like it has room to grow (in particular, map count), and a separate game divides that map selection and such things down a line of which one you’ve launched etc. :/

4. Blackcompany says:

I don’t know about this decision. I mean, Sanctum is a good game. Difficult in a good way, and better in co-op than alone, true. But its a good game.
    I for one would rather see an imaginative studio like this spend their time making new, original titles in different genres, as opposed to more of the same. Perhaps they have some ideas for new mechanics and strategies in the Tower Defense genre. Lets hope so, because as much as I enjoyed my time with Defense Grid and Sanctum, I don’t think I can get behind more of the same thing again.

• innociv says:

They are going to have to improve the sequel A LOT for it to be worth buying.
      Why? Because I already played Sanctum. Why would I buy it again?

The first was okay, and worth the money I paid for it on sale, but it’s something that very quickly becomes repetitive.

And it starts out super easy, then it gets to where you’re just holding down fire for the wave on enemies. Holding down the fire button on things you can’t miss isn’t exactly fun.

If it’s the same game, better graphics, with just a few more little things, it won’t be worth buying to me.

I don’t see why they didn’t decide to make a different game… Now they’re going to have to make something that people who bought the first are going to feel they need, as well as get more of the few people that are interested in an FPS tower defense game.

They could add things like two teams competing to complete levels fastest while lasting the longest, sure, but that’s still not enough to warrant sequel.

• PleasingFungus says:

I’m going to summarize your comment, innociv.

“Sanctum 1 was fun but flawed. I can’t think of any way to improve it. Why would I buy Sanctum 2?”

It might just be me, but there seems to be something slightly off with that logic.

• nigoola says:

If you accomplish much, that means swtor gets positive feedback from players. Surely they can pay for the game as well. Positive valuation is an important standard for players when they are choosing a game to play. Swtor is such a game that receives positive valuation from players. So far, EA has sold out more than 2 million game clients and at the same time, swtor has attracted 1.7 million renewal players. This is really a large number.This is swtor4credits,we are the most professional swtor credits and power leveling sale site.

• innociv says:

I said it’d have to be a big improvement over the first for me to want to buy it.
      You missed that part.

I just don’t really expect them to revolutionize something that’s been done a hundred times over.

Indie TD games are the new top down shooters. :/

5. Tei says:

Dungeon Defenders > all games ever made.

This is all.

• UnravThreads says:

Dungeon Defenders ain’t that great.

• PleasingFungus says:

Dungeon Defenders is a bit rubbish.

But this is about Sanctum 2.

• AskaLangly says:

My only complaint about Sanctum – Dungeon Defenders is that both run Unreal. Playing DunDef since the mobile days (March 2011), I’m now grown accustomed to that. I just got Sanctum today and will test it out. I could imagine some crashes with UDK, like what DunDef does from time to time.

6. Synesthesia says:

id rather have a few more levels. The first one lasted me and my friends less than 3 hours.