Rally Around For Some Dirt: Showdown Videos

By Craig Pearson on February 7th, 2012 at 3:05 pm.

The Ghostmobile has fallen on hard times. I’ve deleted the official spelling of Codemasters’ Dirt” three times now. Every time I attempt to write big d small i big r big t my keyboard starts to glow red, smoke comes out of it and I hear a thousand voices screaming. That’s what I get for using Vigo the Carpathian’s old mechanical keyboard. But he calmed down when he saw the smashing cars of this raw footage from Codie’s arcade spin-off of their rally series. His giggle was almost infectious.

Codemasters took the game to CVG and gave them these videos. Writing from our homes means we tend to not get visits from major publishers to our places of work, but I have the bonus of not having showered for two days and only one of my legs is in my trousers. Check and mate, CVG.

Here’s the Destruction Derby mode.

And a race around Baja, California.

And the collidey 8-Ball track.

It’s out on May 25, the day of my next shower.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Khemm says:

So, it’s basically Flatout, only more shiny and from Codies? If so, consider me interested.

2. Blackcompany says:

You can probably get him out of the keyboard, but you will likely need to cross the streams to do it. Might be safer to just use spell check and drop a few extra crumbs now and then.

3. JohnH says:

I’ve been wanting a new Demolition Derby game for a few years now. Looks like this might do the trick!

4. warthog2k says:

I love driving games. Particular fondness for Codies’ driving games. This looks… meh. :(
    Can’t put my finger on it, but… *sigh* I’ll probably pick it up on Steam for a fiver one day.

Back in the day we used to call this an ‘expansion pack’.

Still wish Blur (PC) had been better supported. Such an underrated game. (Also had a reasonbly fun Demolition Derby mode – presuming the 6 other PC Blur players were online at the time and wanted to play…).

5. Gunsmith says:

codies games as of late have lost the magic, Dirt 3 was lacklustre and this is looking to be the same.

I suppose it’ll make a good driving game for non driving game fans, a bit like Grid really.

6. jacobvandy says:

The player is so awesome, his dust trail is about 50x longer than the competition!

7. Sweedums says:

I really hope this spinoff is a sign that the core game will return to being more rally oriented

8. Derppy says:

I hope this will have something similar to DiRT 3′s “Hardcore”-mode. No driving assists, no HUD and locked head-camera.

I think it hits the perfect spot where the driving feels realistic, but still isn’t as hard as real simulators.

Driving destruction derby with similar mechanics would be just awesome. I secretly want to turn the Rallycross races in HC to a destruction derby every time, but it’s so rare to find a HC game and usually the people in there are nice and avoid crashes, so I don’t want to ruin their game.

Please DiRT Showdown, don’t be just Flatout -clone.

Comment on this story