Thief 2 Is Now On Good Old Games

By Craig Pearson on February 7th, 2012 at 1:41 pm.

EDF! I MEAN: THIEF2THIEF2THIEF2THIEF2THIEF2THIEF2!
If I had a Thief 2 commemorative mug, I’d be supping water (because of water arrows, of course), while pondering losing weight just in case I need to use rope arrows. As it is, I just have a hoodie up. Why? Right now “The Making of Thief 2” is playing on my other monitor as the full game is downloading from GoG.com. Given how excited I was when Thief: Gold hit there last week, I’m even more excited that the second game available now. I loved the first game, but the second game’s rangy missions just edge it for me.

Another $9.99 (expensive!) purchase if you fancy it. I’ve already stumped up, and discovered that it suffers much of the same resolution and widescreen based trouble from the previous release, but this utility fixed all my troubles, and made the game look a good bit lovlier. If I’m not mistaken, it would probably have fixed my retail disc, but that disappeared in recent house move. Perhaps it was stolen?

Gooder news, as I can now play the unofficial Thief 2 expansion, Shadows of The Metal Age, that was released a few years back.

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. JackShandy says:

The words “Holy fucking shit-balls” honestly came out of my mouth when I saw this. This makes my night perfect.

• julianbenson says:

What a delectable image that brings to mind.

• Sarlix says:

I don’t mean to be a stick in the mud (don’t call me a stick in the mud) But you can get Thief Complete (all 3 games) for less than the GOG release. Don’t get me wrong I love GOG and wish to support it, but I sometime wonder why people get so excited about new releases. Especially since you still have to fix the game manually (high res etc)

I haven’t actually played Thief 2 (boo) so I don’t know what the manual is like, but most games from that era offered manuals with plenty of toilet time. I hope you see what I’m saying.

• jon_hill987 says:

@Sarlix: Because for every game on GOG that you can get hold of elsewhere there is one that is simply can’t be found anywhere for less than 10 times it’s original retail price.

Also; are you saying you are out of toilet paper?

• Sarlix says:

@Jon: Just for clarity I was talking about Thief Complete retail (£5 amazon) But yes you make a good point. I have a retail version of Star Trek Action Pack that sells for £50-80 theses days. I expect if that was to go digital it would make many happy.

And err no, I’m just fine for toilet paper, thanks. If I wasn’t I certainly wouldn’t use my games manuals! I’m not a barbarian! Although I did drop my Baldur’s Gate 2 manual in the bath the other day :-(

• sogeking99 says:

Should I play the first Thief, or jump into 2?

• Ergates_Antius says:

Start with the first one.

• sinister agent says:

But! Keep in mind that the second is better. I played the second first. I’m sure it would be better had I played the first one before it (there are obvious plot threads involving events in the first one that I had to guess at, although it’s well done enough that you can surmise the important parts. In a way it might even be better – an animosity between two characters is unexplained, for example, but the way they speak to each other makes it clear that Something Bad Happened between them). However, I enjoy the second one much more, and most people seem to concur. So if you get stuck/bored on the first, consider moving on rather than giving up.

• Waltorious says:

What sinister agent said, more or less verbatim. I like the second game better, but you’ll want to know what happened in the first, so start there. Also, the first is famous for some specific missions that are absolutely terrifying. The second does not terrify me in the same way, but instead has a sort of growing creepiness and dread that stretches over the whole game, which in the end I found to be far more powerful. It’s probably a matter of preference, but the short answer is: both games are amazing, so play them in order.

Also, one warning about the second game: the early missions are pretty much unconnected from one another. They’re just everyday thieving stuff before the plot proper starts, but the disconnectedness seemed really weird to me at the time. Once the plot really starts, though, they’re linked together better.

Hidden_7 says:

To be fair, the early missions in the first Thief, especially Gold with the inclusion of Thieve’s Guild, weren’t really linked to the main plot. They did have somewhat of an internal cohesion, I suppose, forming a little mini-plot, but they were still just Garrett just doing basic thiefy stuff. Missions 1, 2, and 3 were unconnected in T2, sure, but arguably the main plot thread starts at Mission 3, sooo…

One reason why Thief 2’s missions in general may have felt less connected than Thief 1’s is that for Thief 1 they wrote the plot first, then made missions for major plot points. For Thief 2 they first came up with a bunch of cool ideas for levels, and then wrote the story around that. This can make for an interesting case study in the role of narrative in game design. I personally like Thief 2 better, but for a lot of the die hards over at TTLG, it is uncontroversial that Thief 1 is superior. Maybe narrative design is more important than a lot of people who champion LGS immersive sims and the ludonarrative they present would suggest?

Or maybe I have no idea where I’m going with this?

In any case, both the original Thiefs are fantastic, and even 3 is great in its own way. Cannot wait to see what they do with 4, hoping it will be at least as worthy as Human Revolution. No boss battles though, please.

2. fuggles says:

Hopefully, HOPEFULLY, we will get syndicate wars soon, if this pattern is to be repeated.

• deadly.by.design says:

Funny story, I found the original CD in the trunk of my car last year. Must’ve fallen out of a box when I moved in ’08, and I’m notoriously bad at keeping my trunk clean. (and so it sat until then)

It worked in DOSbox back then, so maybe I’ll just skip the eventual $5.99.

• Phantoon says:

You know, I once had that game.

I have NO IDEA what happened to it.

3. Necros says:

Great news but I hope we’ll see something good about Thief 4 too, soon. I don’t like being kept in the dark when I’m not playing a Thief game.

• JackShandy says:

I’m sure they’ll let us sneak a peek soon.

• Ushao says:

I’m still on the fence about it.

• Zanchito says:

I spend my waiting time playing blackjack to take the burden off my mind.

• One Pigeon says:

Lack of news about the release is a bit of a sword point for me

• faelnor says:

Stop quivering, RPS will probably be among the first ones pointing arrows whenever info comes out.

• edit says:

I kinda prefer it when an anticipated title just sneaks up on you.

• Sarlix says:

Relax, the release date will creep up on you, and before you know it you’ll be cradling it in your arms.

…I’ll get my cloak.

• Tyrone Slothrop. says:

As I stated in a previous thread, I more desperate for Thief 4 news than for Half-Life 3. Desperate, your turn.

• Saleck says:

No Thief 4 news is like a broadhead arrow to the knee every day

• The Colonel says:

I’m not holding out much hope for Thiaf myself. Most modern games leave me looking glassy and bewildered with their regressive gameplay and “cinematic” pretensions. With this one I’d rather be left in the dark. Projecting from AssCreed et al. doesn’t bode well.

• Phantoon says:

Desperate.

4. Sirico says:

Still have the CD somehow I bet it needs a serial though

5. woodsey says:

“it suffers much of the same resolution and widescreen based trouble from the previous release”

Ummm, if we’re still having to fix it ourselves, then why is the price so high? I thought the point was that they spent the time getting it running properly on modern systems (and in my head that means WS and resolution support), and then we pay for that service in the price.

• Prokroustis says:

Probably ’cause the publisher didn’t agree with the 5.99 price?

• Gnarf says:

(and in my head that means WS and resolution support)

No, they make the game work on modern computers. If you want a bunch of mods or whatever then you can install a bunch of mods or something. I’d say downloading regular game and then modding it makes more sense than some kind of other way around. It does kind of sound like the briefing videos thing is something GOG should have fixed though.

And does it really mean that in your head or are you just saying that because in this particular instance they kind of could have done that? I mean, it’s not like they normally add higher res anything or widescreen modes to the games there. They have a ton of games where they’d pretty much have to remake the games in order to add stuff like that (unless stretching pixels counts).

(And the “pay for the service” thing is mostly just for people who have a really hard time justifying paying money for games that are like more than a week old. I’d just pay 10 bucks for Thief 2 because Thief 2 is a good game that is easily worth 10 bucks or whatever. Obviously I wouldn’t if it seemed unlikely that I would get it to work, but really, the config and tweaking part isn’t a that big deal.)

• PedroBraz says:

A gog representative on their forums said in vague terms, that gog has only the right to release the game, which means making it run on modern systems. They do not have rights to MODIFY the games. Opening up the code and making changes like adding things technically goes under the modifying category. Widescreen resolution, texture upgrades and the like is a no-go.

At least thats how I understood it.

Hidden_7 says:

Things like modern widescreen resolutions has never been in GOG’s mission statement. The point is you can get the game easily and when you click it it runs as it would have on release. The don’t do graphical updates on any other games they’ve got, nor should they. The fact that a widescreen patch for the Thiefs is easily available doesn’t mean it should be included in the GOG release, it means it’s easily available so go get it if you want it.

The mission briefings and things like multi-core compatability are absolutely something that GOG should have sorted, however, and from my understanding, aside from some issues on the initial release of Thief Gold, they have.

The price is set by the publisher. If SquareEnix/Eidos says that they sell it at a ten dollar price point, then they sell it at a ten dollar price point. That’s the price that SE/E is charging for their own download service, so they’d hardly want a third party to undercut them.

Personally, I think this price is more than fair for people who haven’t already bought these games, because they are absolute gems and classics. I’d be a little annoyed if this were a price I had to pay to get them working because my original discs refused to work, but since there are fixes already available in the community, as there have been for some time, I’m not too bothered about the price.

6. Danny252 says:

Wouldn’t it be better to link to the first page of the Tafferpatcher thread, which has the instructions?

Craig Pearson says:

I was linking to the beta update, but have added it in as that’s linked in that post.

• Porkolt says:

Sadly, TafferPatcher could not prevent my Thief 2 game from opening every level with a black screen. Therefore unplayable.

• Prime says:

To balance the above opinion I’m running Tafferpatcher with no trouble whatsoever. Worked like a charm.

Hidden_7 says:

Yeah, tafferpatch blew my mind with how amazing and hassle free it was. Compare to my Thief Gold experience where I had to eventually manually install it by copying all the files off the discs because the installer simply refused to work, and then install a few different fixes / visual upgrades.

7. airtekh says:

Boughted. It’s pretty much my favourite game of all time.

To my eternal shame I abandoned my playthrough of SOTMA halfway though, for reasons I can’t remember. I really should make some time and get back to the exploits of the lovely Zaya.

8. diebroken says:

Ah, so this release gets the “making of” video instead…

9. Stephen Roberts says:

I’m one of the seven people in the world that have no need to purchase this (original installed patched and fixed). And yet I just might. And no justification is required. None.

• mutopia says:

I think you left out a few digits there, but still a valid point.

That said, I always sort of end up wondering where the money goes, especially when I already own the game. In this case, does it go mainly to Squenix-Eidos or do the actual developers get most of it? If the latter I think that provides an even better incentive. I wonder about the same thing with Steam and whatnot.

edit: okay interestingly RPS has just done an article about this, nice.

10. Kdansky says:

Isn’t this game called Thi2f ?

11. Metonymy says:

I will never be able to see these games as anything but quake, with much less “game.”

To me a ‘good old game’ is ultima, sim city, zork, civ, x-com, moo, doom, star control, homm, bard’s tale, monkey island, etc. These types of games are just experiments, developers trying to think of new things to do with a ‘doom style game.’ No one makes these anymore, or very rarely, which proves they were a failure. (still better than modern FPS, but so is solitaire)

Realistic stealth is like realistic combat. It’s tedious, and creates lifeless games. Arkham City (or Fallout 3) may not be a truly great game, but at least the stealth in that game is slick, accessible, and can be combined with other game elements without forcing the player down the exact same thought process the designer had.

• Prime says:

There is so much wrong with what you just said…wow.

1. “quake, with much less “game.” Wrong way around. Quake is just about shooting things, ad infinitum. In the Thief games you actually have to think to achieve your many and varied objectives. You have plot and story, delivered in so many clever ways. Thief is MORE game.

2. This isn’t ‘realistic’ stealth. It’s a stealth system that happens to work very well as an approximation of stealth using the best tools the FPS has to offer, many of which Looking Glass either invented, elaborated upon or simply polished up for these games. It’s like a puzzle – get all the pieces in their correct places and you win.

3. “tedious” is another man’s “AWESUM”. Chess is tedious. Chess is still played by thousands of millions around the world. Thief is an awful lot like Chess. It requires patience, skill, thoughtfulness…if you aren’t that type of player then say so, and admit that Thief simply isn’t your thing. Don’t disparage it because you don’t understand it.

Or better still, buy one and play it.

• JackShandy says:

Your entire post is ridiculous. Eidos Montreal is making the fourth in the series as we speak; A franchise of four games over more than a decade isn’t a failure no matter how you look at it.

• Brun says:

Some of the best games of the mid- to late 90’s came out of those “developers trying to figure out something new to do with a Doom/Quake game.” Dark Forces/Jedi Knight anyone? Those even used the Quake engine.

Llewyn says:

@Prime: Well said. Thief simply isn’t my thing – or at least wasn’t at the time – but I can still appreciate the qualities others see in it. I do find it amusing though that Metonymy describes Thief as a failure because no-one makes games like it any more and then lists off 11 ‘real’ classics, 10 of which have no good quality recent (finished) equivalents. Alas, failures all, except Civ (and now hopefully X-COM).

And on an off-topic note, how did Metonymy get off my block list?

• Ridnarhtim says:

And as for “forcing the player down the exact same thought process the designer had” – Thief & Thief 2’s maps are beautifully open. There are loads of ways to go about any mission or level. It is one of the best things about it, and one reason why I can keep playing them over and over again – no two play-throughs are the same, as I usually find another window, vent, wooden beam etc. that will allow me to access areas from a different direction and in a different order. I can think of very, very few games which give the player as much choice about how to do things as Thief.

• Electricleash says:

Your sharing an opinion, and that’s fair enough, but:

“Realistic stealth is like realistic combat. It’s tedious, and creates lifeless games.”

Ok so you are on a completely different page to the vast majority of people, as to what type of games you enjoy, I can’t comprehend what you mean by ‘lifeless’.

“These types of games are just experiments, developers trying to think of new things to do with a ‘doom style game.”

So what would you suggest the developers think about instead? You realize it costs shed-loads to build a game engine, building it for just one game sounds like a bit of a waste of time and money when you can take it in all sorts of directions…

“No one makes these anymore, or very rarely, which proves they were a failure. (still better than modern FPS, but so is solitaire)”

Failure? If these games were such ‘failures’ then they wouldn’t have garnered such a large fan base with people playing and creating for them years later.

For examples, look to the communities that have built up around things like Arma and the Thief series in exemplifiying the two genres you mention, how can you justify those as being lifeless?

If every developer ran with your thinking there would be no new games ever!

Solitaire… seriously?

• Sunjammer says:

Troll king! Hark!

First of all, you’re clearly absolutely wrong about everything you said from an objective point of view. But you are also entitled to your subjective opinion.

I got the first Thief from a friend who hated it so much it was either giving me the disc, or smashing it to bits. You’re trying to apply some sort of rational argumentation behind what he expressed as instinctive disgust, and I actually appreciate his curseword-laden raging against something he saw as an affront to everything he was expecting when he bought the game as somewhat more understandable.

So hey, if you don’t like it, don’t waste your time trying to convince people you are okay to not like it. It just makes you look bad. It’s fine to not like things, but don’t go into the liking-it clubhouse and give everybody the middle finger. Oh wait.. Internet.

• BobbyKotickIsTheAntichrist says:

@Metonymy: Your drivel is all kinds of dumb.

• dee says:

LOL QUAKE WITH SHADOWS

• Metonymy says:

You project a level of raging to my opinions that I’m not experiencing. How valuable is “Wow I love this game its the best?” Not especially.

I’d like to play something like Thief, but better. And, I care enough about the development of gaming, and the inclusion of people who game, to desire a more perfect version of every game type. This requires admitting that there are problems.

Thief has pacing problems: its slow. Thief is limited by AI interaction: it’s preset rather than procedural. Thief has too little room for RP: you have to be robin hood and you have to slink around. Thief is not intuitive: what causes player detection is often non-obvious.

• Muzman says:

You can’t talk to the monsters either!

• Prime says:

@Metonymy

“I’d like to play something like Thief, but better.”

Well that’s the main problem, isn’t it? There ISN’T anything better than Thief at what it does. Thief rules over the stealth genre simply because no-one has come close to replicating what it achieved, let alone beating it.

“And, I care enough about the development of gaming, and the inclusion of people who game, to desire a more perfect version of every game type. This requires admitting that there are problems.”

So no game will ever be good enough until it’s perfect in your wholly subjective eyes? Good luck with that.

“Thief has pacing problems: its slow.”

It’s meant to be slow. Not a problem, a feature of its design.

“Thief is limited by AI interaction: it’s preset rather than procedural.”

But it works, and works beautifully. Penalising it for something that isn’t there is not being fair to what is there.

“Thief has too little room for RP: you have to be robin hood and you have to slink around.”

So Thief isn’t allowing you to role play? Again, you’re criticising it for what it’s not. Stop being absurd. This is the story of Garret, an honourable man in a dishonourable profession. And may I say, criticising Thief for making you slink around is like criticising Mario games for jumping and collecting coins.

“Thief is not intuitive: what causes player detection is often non-obvious.”

The slight blur in the detection protocols is what gives the game such great tension. Have you done enough to avoid detection by the guard currently walking right past your nose? Heart -> Mouth. Great times, my friend. Great times.

12. Fomorian1988 says:

Squee! That’s my favorite of the Thief games – mainly because it’s the first one I’ve played. But also due to the awesome level design (Life of the Party, First City Bank and Trust) and [SPOILER! SPOILER!] “enemy mine” realtionship between Garrett and Viktoria [/SPOILER! SPOILER!].

• Ridnarhtim says:

Yes, Thief 2 is fantastic. From the level design, to the story, to the blissful lack of the undead everywhere, it improved on everything. Life of the Part is freaking AMAZING!
      The only drawback I can think of is that one level you essentially have to play twice.

• airtekh says:

Oh god, Masks. I totally agree with you.

The secret library had some spooky stuff in it though, which sort of made up for it.

• NathanH says:

Metal Age is easily the best of the Thieves. Apart from the last mission, I don’t like that and have never finished it.

• Tyrone Slothrop. says:

Thief 2 in my opinion is one of the best games ever made. The level design is many fundamental aspects is still unsurpassed, the epitome of which; ‘The Life of the Party’ mission is astounding. The sheer scale, freedom and intricacy amounts to something truly unique in gaming. I think back to using parallel vine arrows as a method of lateral movement, discovering multi-stage secrets and vaulting over lethal gaps between rooftops for hours. Then you arrive before a towering, Art Deco, Noveau and Modernist-influenced steampunk Skyscraper with multiple entrances called Angelwatch. And that’s just a third of the mission. What the fuck? Even to reminisce my mind is blown yet again.

Given the Thief 4 forums, I can only hope the persistent, relentless, vociferous zeal of it’s uncompromising fanbase has deeply engrained the eminent importance of massive non-linear levels into the developers, whom I personally have a great deal of faith in, loving Deus Ex: Human Revolution, separate in-studio team notwithstanding.

However there is some concrete evidence for optimism; this excerpt from a presentation of the audio director, Paul Wier, detailing the truly generative audio from the game, which is to say, dynamically formulated soundscapes from a suite of recordings. It manages to not only evoke the excellent work of Eric Brosius on Thief but even seemingly innovate radically upon it.

Quite a tangent, but I would purchase this if one hasn’t already, I personally have Thief 2 already installed prior to this announcement, in glorious 1920×1080 with an FOV fix and Shadows of the Metal Age attached.

• ResonanceCascade says:

Hey thanks for that link Tyrone, that was great.

I’m still extremely skeptical that Thief 4 will have proper Thiefy level design, but I don’t doubt that it’s going to be an excellent stealth game that happens to be kind of like Thief.

• JackShandy says:

There’s no two ways about it: Human Revolution’s levels are just too small. Now, the Hubs, those get close to the size of a true thief mission. We’ll have to see.

Hidden_7 says:

Human Revolution, as you mentioned, has some pretty big levels by way of the hubs. Even the missions felt plenty big. The real issue with Thief 3 was how cramped the levels felt. The scale of everything just felt far too squished in to be able to get some real sneaking going. I also wouldn’t mind mid mission loading if what you got loaded was a bit bigger, and if the transitions were dealt with more smartly than they were in Thief 3.

Heng Sha is probably the size of Life of the Party, and if you have a load, say, when you get into the tower, that wouldn’t be so bad, would it?

Of course, Thief 4 is using the Unreal engine, not the one they used in DXHR, so the whole thing is fairly moot.

13. InternetBatman says:

God I played the hell out of this game. It was everything a sequel should be.

• Prime says:

It absolutely was. Bigger, better, wider, less annoying, prettier….Thief 2 was a glorious follow-on from people at the absolute peak of their industry-shaming game-making powers.

14. Crazy Hippo says:

yay, and its my birthday. thanks GOG!

15. db1331 says:

I will be getting this. I LOVED this game, played the hell out of it. That mission where you have to break into the City Watch HQ and frame someone, and you can’t even use your blackjack, is some of the best stuff in gaming. I think I will try to finish my expert mode run of the original first before jumping into this though.

16. deadly.by.design says:

Someone told me that Thief was better than Thief 2. Something about the first having superior level design and then technology mucking up the sequel’s atmosphere.

Lies.

• ZB says:

The first Thief has a better story. The devs are on record that for Thief II they came up with ideas for missions first, then tried to fit a story around it, and it shows. In TDP Garrett was always serving his own interests. In TMA he spent most of the game going on assigned missions like some kind of steampunk James Bond.

Also, some people (like myself), really enjoyed the creepy undead missions of the original. Their replacement by smegging robots and security cameras (“borrowed” from System Shock 2) was not generally viewed as an improvement. Thief II had the awful back-to-back pairing of Casing the Joint/Masks, the tedious Kidnap, and the “Garrett’s Day at the Factory” mission, aka Sabotage at Soulforge.

All that being said, it’s a good game, with some great missions, and is the superior platform for FMs (fan missions). It’s just not as powerful an experience as the original was.

Hidden_7 says:

Garrett is only being commando Garrett in Thief 2 from Life of the Party onwards. That’s five of fifteen levels. That’s hardly most of the game. Even then, he’s serving his own interests– he’s made a powerful enemy, and it makes sense to try to bring it down. He’s possibly being a little more high minded than he was in a similar situation in Dark Project, but not a whole lot more, and arguably it fits into his three game character arc of slowly starting to give a shit.

The issue isn’t so much Garrett’s character and motivation differing between the two games, but the way it’s executed. In both games there’s roughly three acts, with Garrett the freelance, giving way to Garrett with a project, and then Garrett the hero.

The difference is that in Thief 1 the first act is a bit more substantial (5 missions versus Thief 2’s 4, with one being Ambush) and has it’s own little self contained plot arc, which bleeds nicely into act 2. Further, in Thief 1’s second act, Garrett is being a master thief, doing multiple jobs in the service of one big one. In Thief 2, he’s being a detective, trying to figure out who’s messing with him, and why. Thief 2 also has a longer third act than 1, with five missions vs. three.

Which is all to say, Garrett’s always looking out for his own interests, and both games follow a similar plot progression, it’s just weighted slightly differently in Thief 2, and that maybe makes it lack the purity of focus that Thief 1 had.

Also, arguably coming up with the missions first, while making the story feel a bit disjointed, lead to cooler missions. Even Casing/Masks was a cool idea, just executed a little poorly, (it’s a difficult concept to execute, if it were me I’d have probably broken them up with a level in between, and maybe had you start from a different insertion point the second time through).

17. Ridnarhtim says:

Considering how many games this kind of stuff is available for … Are there no patches/mods to improve textures, graphics etc. for these games? I don’t really mind, and am happy to play the originals as they are, but there’s also no reason not to want to at least add some high res textures.

• Prime says:

As I understand the situation, the Dark Engine used to make these games doesn’t lend itself very well to modification. I’m not sure the source code was ever released for it, as it was for the Quake engine et al. Clever people have made some improvements where they can but are limited in what they can achieve without being able to get in the nuts and bolts of the thing. That’s why there have been so many attempts to re-create the games (Thief, System Shock, etc) in other engines; it’s simply easier to take a known, capable engine and recreate the assets and programming.

Feel free to correct me, anyone.

• Muzman says:

Yes, the game has effectively zero modding capability (for it is from the time before readily modular engines existed).
      People have reverse engineered ways to add quite a few things in and make it do new things. But things like texture size and so on I believe are fixed. There’s a hard limit to the number of objects and faces on screen and various other limitations. Without source code they cannot be fixed. There are a few texture upgrades for sprites and so on I think. Some pieces of code have been leaked and there is an ongoing project to reverse engineer the entire thing. But true modding and updating is extremely slow going.

That said there is an ongoing enhancement project to improve objects and textures that provide some satisfaction.

• ZB says:

Saying that Thief has zero modding capability is a gross exaggeration. Unlike many games that lock all their assets up in byzantine data structures and proprietary file formats, it’s extremely easy to drop in replacements for any sound, texture, or model in the entire game. The level editor, DromEd, is freely available, and though it lacks a native scripting language, amazing things can be done with its act/react and stim/response systems. Plus there is the ability to write custom script modules, though that takes some serious C programming mojo.

• Muzman says:

Yeah, true. I s’pose I was thinking it’s closer to the old fashioned hacky variety in the first place, rather than the more cheerful version of modding people might be more accustomed to today. Much of its present functionality is thanks to trails blazed by the users.
      But, yes, not the same as saying it doesn’t exist at all.

• mutopia says:

Actually there are numerous graphical patches and mods (mostly true to the original), and they’re all easily bundled up in Tafferpatch for easy clickage, it actually mentions (and links) this in the article.

Also, there are a gazillion fan missions (“FMs”), most of which are enjoyable and a surprising number of which are actually stunning and excellent (and propelled a number of people into game development!). There is a whole lengthy unofficial Thief 2 expansion (also mentioned and linked in the article) which even comes up with new gameplay and succeeds, not only being faithful to the original but adding to it.

18. foda500orama says:

Happy dance.

19. DrGonzo says:

I learned the hard way from I’76 that GOG.COM don’t actually seem to fix really broken games. I only buy them after I’ve pirated em and seen if I can get em to work that way.

Do like the site, but they really need to do more with the game for the price they charge imo.

20. Dominic White says:

The bloom and dynamic gamma features in DDFix (part of Tafferpatch) really do help improve the look of the game a ton. They basically give Garrett slightly exaggerated, but quite convincingly cat-like night vision. If you’re in a nearly pitch-black room, it’ll adjust gradually so that you can see what’s going on, but open a door to a well lit chamber and it’s going to give you a second or two of horrible glare.

Look at DDFix.ini for those options.

It also saves a lot of embarassing stumbling about in the dark (something this character should NEVER be seen doing) and fiddling with in-game gamma, too.

• Bobtree says:

I haven’t used DDFix, but it sounds pretty good. This is something that SO many HDR-rendering games get terribly wrong: “Hey, a bright light, but it made the whole scene darker, and now I can’t see, WTF??”

• Dominic White says:

It works kinda the opposite for Thief – well lit rooms return the game to regular brightness, but dark rooms quickly get a boost so you can actually see what you’re doing.

21. Unaco says:

So… Who gets the money if we buy this? GoG or the Developers?

• Dominic White says:

The publisher, who are currently bankrolling Thief 4.

• sneetch says:

Well, the devs don’t “exist” anymore so it’s the publishers, (i.e. the people who bought the rights from them) who will get the money for it. Which seems fair enough to me; you can’t sell something and expect to keep it as well. Cake and eat it and so on.

GOG get a percentage, 30% seems to the general consensus.

• Gnarf says:

If you go to GOG and buy a game from GOG then you’re doing business with GOG.

I was buying a glass of milk the other day and I was like here’s some money for a glass of milk you- wait, hold on. You’re… are you the cow that made this milk? Does the money go to the cow? Does some of it go to you?

Things got a way complicated when I realized that the original developer of the glass of milk was possibly considering spending some of the money I paid on his mortgage. I totally don’t want to support like those bloody loan sharks so now I pirate milk.

• ResonanceCascade says:

I’ve seen some pretty heated arguments regarding the fact that none of the money goes to the devs, which is totally bizarre to me. None of the money goes to the devs no matter where you buy the game. Looking Glass didn’t retain the rights to the Thief franchise, and thank god for that, or it would be in IP hell with Terra Nova and System Shock. Then nobody would get to buy it any more.

• Palehorse says:

Damn you Gnarf. You made me log in to reply to you. I had to enter a password!

Just a quick word that your milk analogy made me laugh, and yes I would have snorted milk out my nose if I had been drinking milk.

22. sneetch says:

I bought all three games on one disk recently for €15 despite owning all three already, well, technically I own all three but I’ve somehow ended up with empty jewelcases for the first two, and an empty Homeworld box (unrelated but still annoying, I have the cd-key at least). The collection is just £5 on amazon.co.uk.

Still despite that €10 isn’t bad value for such excellent games.

23. Sunjammer says:

Thief 2 is my favorite Thief. The first one lost its way with all the burricks and zombies and junk. Also, I just never liked the pagans in general. The mechanists and hammers are brilliant creations and Karras and Gordon’s plot in T2 is creepy as all hell. Those masked servants…

Also, Cetus Amicus. When I saw what that was I nearly peed myself with joy.

Shipping and Receiving; Life ot the Party. Two of the absolute best levels I have played in any game ever.

24. Justin Keverne says:

Did I miss something?

This release comes prepatched to 1.18 and include the latest version of DDFix, you just need to make some modifications to the DDFix and Cam .cfg files to set the required resolution. It doesn’t contain all the optional enhancements provide by Tafferpatch but it’ll fix the multi-core, codex and resolution issues.

• ZB says:

This does not come with the current version of DDFix. It comes with version 1.3. The current version is 1.5.

25. Dhatz says:

CARMAGEDDON 2 desperately needs rework for modern systems! the only version that runs on my W7-32 has to use the forced low resolution for the cursor to work -_(\ omfg how could there have been a time with coding so lame.

26. ThaneSolus says:

Craig Pearson was found sneaking on his mates at night naked, true story, tonight at BBC. Stay tuned!

I Love Thief Series:)

27. gunner1905 says:

So did anybody able to play the thief 2 expansion?

28. Jahandar says:

I have the CD for this within reach, yet I am still somehow tempted to buy it.