Cell: emergence Demo Emerges From… Its Cell? I Dunno

By John Walker on February 8th, 2012 at 3:53 pm.

Hopefully this image will clear it up.

Cell: emergence, the experimental medical shooter puzzle… thing from Deus Ex writer Sheldon Pacotti and his team at New Life Interactive (who really sound like they should make Christian games), is out tomorrow. And if you want to try to get your head around one of the most peculiar games in recent times, there’s a demo. I’ve been having a play of it, and will speak my thoughts about it when it’s out. But I can assure you while it’s not as complicated to play as it appears, it’s every bit as strange. It will be on GamersGate amongst others from tomorrow, where it will cost the peculiar price of £8.05. Take a look at the demo – it’s well worth a look.

, , , , .

1. MythArcana says:

Yet another retail abstract tech demo. *Sigh*

• John Walker says:

You actually took the time to write that on the internet. Do think things through.

• dontnormally says:

Yet another retail abstract tech demo! *score*

As in: yes please – push boundaries.

• Tyrmot says:

Maybe MythArcana loves tech demos really and it was in fact a sigh of sheer delight or longing…

• Consumatopia says:

Eh, I don’t agree with MythArcana that there’s too many of these, in fact I have basically the opposite opinion (I’m totally with Eskil Steenberg here here), but generally speaking, if someone thinks the industry is stuck in a rut in one way or another, I don’t see how it’s irrational to point that out. (The rut itself may be boring, but the fact that we’re stuck in it is still interesting.)

2. Nickless_One says:

voxels AND cellular automata? interesting…

Bluerps says:

Jup. Those two go really well together, if you think about it.

Fede says:

New Life Interactive (who really sound like they should make Christian games)

To me it sounds more like they should make… a biology-themed version of SpaceChem where you combine genes and create new creatures?
    That will then conspire to kill you, of course.

4. Tyrone Slothrop. says:

Or better than Kings! Voxels!

• Dom_01 says:

These cells, their division is intensifying to the point where we may not be able to contain it.

• Saldek says:

Why contain it? Let it spill over into interstitial spaces and adjacent membranes. Let the liquor puris pile up in the wounds. In the end, they’ll beg us to save them.

tomeoftom says:

Why contain it?

‘s cool.

5. faelnor says:

I can’t choose where to install the thing (yeah .NET assembly whatever).
    French translation is horrible and I can’t seem to switch to english.
    Controls are all over the place, making me navigate the menus with the Xbox 360 pad and play with keyboard and mouse.
    Menu transitions are long and unskippable.
    Instructions are obscure at best. What do I need to inject through which membrane? I can’t get past the first level, possibly because of the translation.
    Alt+F4 doesn’t work properly, quitting most of the game but leaving a thread running (with sound).
    I can’t post on the forums.

Should I persevere?

• Woodwork says:

Controls are VERY all over the place. If the instructions were as helpful as “obscure”, I would persevere.
      Help actually just gives you an address for the forums.
      I can’t be bothered to write down the forum address and do some research to get past the first level, so uninstalling, sorry.

LTK says:

I can’t make heads or tails of this either. I’m ordered to shoot the membrane, and after that the purple stuff engulfs everything. Is that supposed to happen?

• ChrisGWaine says:

I don’t think there’s any point persevering. After a few attempts, I completed the level (I don’t know how) and that seems to be it for the demo since it returned me to the main menu.

It’s really disappointing. The graphics look interesting. The concept sounds interesting. Perhaps there are good game mechanics in there. If so, they’re wasted thanks to the very poor UI and almost worthless help. This isn’t a demo for a game that’s ready for sale.

6. Vandalbarg says:

Although fun, this wasn’t as good as I was expecting it to be. I was full sure to buy it before the demo, but the controls (camera rotation in particular) and instructions weren’t great.

The gameplay itself was damn good though.

Tips for beating the level (because they don’t tell you); Your beam weapon is a “prion gel”. This helps the antibodies reproduce (they’re the white pixels floating by where you start), kills the disease but, not sure on this BUT, helps the remaining disease voxels grow quicker.

Start off by shooting from the side or above the membrane, and expanding your range of fire out until the antibodies are everywhere. When the disease starts to expand, the antibodies will kill the tendrils. You have no hope of killing the tendrils on your own. Just use your gun to pick off the stray pieces that get where there are no antibodies, then try and spread the antibodies there by shooting around them.

Also the spore thing is indestructible, but destroys itself gradually as it grows, if the tendrils aren’t growing on your membrane.

I think the spore has to starve itself to death before you can win, or it just has no chance of spreading due to all the antibodies.

Might still get it to play until CK2 comes out. I imagine the other levels where you have more options are more fun.

7. Eukatheude says:

Really curious about trying this, but it won’t start.