EVE Online Relaunches Website, Entices New Players

By John Walker on February 8th, 2012 at 9:32 am.

So much shiny!

There are a number of ways Jim and I are different. For instance, I like baked beans, while Jim is a seventy-foot super-robot that devours cities for food. Another way is that he has played EVE Online for over 40 million ours, whereas I have only ever stared at videos of it and then run away to play with Lego. But CCP are looking to welcome new players, not by simplifying the game, but rather by better explaining how to get started. That’s partly via a swishy new website, which is much easier to navigate, and presented in that modern collection of rectangles that the young people love so much these days. And it’s more directly via a new video aimed at brand new players. You can see it below.

The emphasis here appears to be, “Don’t worry, you can join in with long-term players,” which seems a sensible thing to communicate.

Gosh, it looks so incredible, and so very, very daunting. Are you tempted? Cheers VG247.

, , .

1. Lobotomist says:

The video features glimpse of new interface – two stripes above and below.

Also many cool looking animated interfaces for ship fitting , corporations … etc

Is this in game now, or is there plan to implement it ?

It looks rightly cool

• Kelduum Revaan says:

Its not in game, but they do now have the relevant stuff in the client to make fancy new UI things like that, and a few weeks ago launched the ‘new neocom’, which is more like the Windows 7 taskbar, but for internet spaceships.

2. PoulWrist says:

This makes me want to reopen my EVE account (

• thebluemonkey81 says:

don’t do it, it’s a tarp!!!

• TidiusFF says:

Subscription is the only thing blocking me to reactivate :’(

• syndrome says:

^ all of this
      i can’t stand these.. conflicting voices in my head…
      i… will… not…
      succumb…

3. wsjudd says:

I’m a massive fan of EVE Online – although I only played it for the 30 day trial. I even read the novels -which actually aren’t half bad, especially the way they portray the often negative effects the ‘capsuleers’ (i.e. the human players) have on the rest of the EVE universe.

My biggest concern is that I’ve been training skills for five years less than the average player, and so I’m helplessly behind – one of the biggest problems with such a system is that there’s no way you can catch up via skill. In Battlefield, you start off with few weapons and gadgets, but you can still outplay and eclipse older players. Here, that’s not as possible.

p.s. ‘Online for over 40 million ours.’

• Ninja Foodstuff says:

That’s how we speak in laandan.

• Gurrah says:

Since you won’t be able to achieve almost nothing without the help of others at the beginning, I’d say not the amount of skills you’ve trained but rather your will to learn and apply yourself is a way better gauge of how good a player are or will become. Having a broad skillset will allow gradually to do different things in EVE itself and as time progresses you might also be able to do those things better than without a particular skillset but in the end it comes down to experience and your level of commitment. Let me put it this way – I’ve got around 73 millione Skillpoints and calling me a carebear would be an insult to carebears, getting shot to bits in low sec is not my idea of fun so I just very rarely venture there. I know for a fact a new player that’s agressive enough would scare me away quite easily with whatever tiny frigate he might be flying.

• 0rpheus says:

Always makes me facepalm a little when I read this fallacy being repeated – it doesn’t matter if you’ve been training skills for five years less than the average player. Skills go up to 5 and that’s it, so if you train Minmatar Frigate 5, the general core skills and projectile weapon skills, you’re just as competent in that Frigate after a month as someone 5 years old flying the same ship.

Veteran players can’t get any better at something once they’ve maxed out the skills for it, they move on to train something else. So, say it takes you a month to fly a well-fit Cruiser, you can go up against any other pilot in a comparable Cruiser knowing that at the most, they can have the same skills (core + ship + weapon) as you. After that it’s your flying that counts, not the skills, and it won’t matter how much isk a vet has if he can’t fly his expensive ship for toffee (and many can’t!)!

• Lobotomist says:

Not at all

In fact in 30 days you can train every needed skill to fly super deadly ship that is very very viable in any kind of PVP.

Problem is… hehe

Something I also found out as a newbie.
      There is a hidden grind….

Credits !!!

You can do many things fast, but its extremely expensive. So either you have a benefactor, or you will have to work double hours :)

But – all things said. You will never be top dog. Nobody is.

Thats all the fun ;)

• Sweatypitts says:

If you need any help starting up, our corporation can help fund your first ships until you learn how to make ISK and we’ll assist you in making a skill queue you can follow! Contact me in game if you need any help: Jenny Marcus

4. Jnx says:

I’ve played some months of EvE and I did really enjoy it. Thing is I also enjoy many other things.

• Lord Byte says:

This! It’s the main reason why I stopped playing. Being anyone or getting anywhere requires so much more time (a lot spent grinding for Isk (cash)), that it just wasn’t worth it for me. It’s an awesome game and if you’re looking for something to fill your days with, then go ahead. If like me, you enjoy doing other things, forget it.

5. Kelduum Revaan says:

I gotta say, I really like the video, and that’s not just because my corporation makes a cameo appearance in it at 1:58.

It does a very good job of explaining just why “not being able to catch up with the people who have played for years” doesn’t actually matter anywhere near as much as it would with most other MMOs, and strongly suggests people join a corporation, which so many people seem to skip.

Oddly, EVE is about the community more than being just about the game.

Edit: Look EVE University up in-game (or just Google) if you’re interested in starting – we’re set up specifically to train players and pass on knowledge and skills.

• Edski says:

Just had a look at your website. I’ve always been interested in EVE, but scared. Now I’m wondering how big the download is…

• Max Ursa says:

o7 KR. for those of you interested in dipping your toe into eve, Eve University is a great place to start. most of all DO ALL THE TUTORIALS!!! (id put it in bold if i knew how)
      it doesn’t matter if you only just start. There’s always a niche to be filled and its often not the amount of skill points you have or the size of your ship, but the skills of you as a player. I’m member of The Bastards pirate corporation and there times i’ve been in my tiny frigate holding down a ship many times larger than myself until my corpmates can back me up and we either destroy them or get a nice juicy ransom out of them. (note to players, The Bastards will always honor ransoms)
      it doesnt matter if there are characters five years+ ahead of you, most of these chars are now stuck in capital ships out in the arse end of nowhere.
      if you have intelligence, common sense and patience then you will go far in eve.
      5 rules of eve:
      1)only fly what you can afford to lose
      2)only fly what you can afford to lose
      3)only fly what you can afford to lose
      4)don’t trust anyone you can’t get hold of in RL
      5)only fly what you can afford to lose

• mentor07825 says:

While I was playing I gave a guest lecture in Eve University. It’s a good place to learn things and it has a wealth of information. Also the community isn’t bad. Personally I found it something as a stepping stone but staying is also cool.

If anything, a 15 day trial is worth your time. It’s not a game for everybody but I found it enjoyable.

And everyone is correct. You do not need to be playing a few years to be as good as the best players or any of that nonsense.

6. MonkeyMonster says:

I just had to pat Mr Walker on the back for a excellently crafted article that had me chuckling. I wonder how many people will suffer for Jim’s elevenses hunger pangs today…

7. Ninja Foodstuff says:

But is it true? Can a new player really join in with the long-term players, or will they be referred to as “noob” and other such titles?

• Montavious says:

Well Ninja, you will always be a noob compared so someone like me who has been playing since 2004. But skillpoints arent what makes you a better player in this game. For example. Im like 95 percent combat trained. I have no industry, mining, manufacturing, etc…. If someone like you were to jump into the game and started training either of those, yes, you would be better than me in that aspect, because Im incapable of doing those things. But if you went the combat path, theres no way you will ever catch up with me skillpoint wise. But the harsh reality is that skillpoints dont really mean that much. Im been owned by noobs in PvP that just had a better ship fitting than me, or just had a ship fitting that countered mines well. My friend is maxed skill Curse pilot, with only 20 mill skillpoints top, he can wreck me in that ship and i have him but 100 mill+ skillpoints.

• Lenderz says:

I played Eve for 7 years, and I rarely, if ever heard anyone disrespecting newer players. The community is fantastic, the most important thing is to join a decent and competent corporation. I had some friends join 5-6 years after me and go on PVP roams with me within a month highly effectively. I was in a PVP mercenary corp within 3 months.

The challenge with Eve is to find competent people to play with, people who are not afraid of a loss and are able to create content for you to enjoy.

Eve is the fishermans friend of gaming, if you can’t get on in it’s universe it’s not too strong, you’re too weak.

Nobody is too much of a noob, and the difference between a well fitted level 4 frigate with a pilot onlu a month old and a experienced well fitted level 5 frig with a pilot that’s been playing for 7 years is marginal to say the least. The advantage the experienced player has is just that experience, and you can only get experence by getting stuck in.

• Ninja Foodstuff says:

I have to say I enjoyed the personality test on the new website.
      I may do the 14-day trial. The thing is I’ve only just gotten into X3, and that seems like it might be too much space-biff for one person.

• Montavious says:

Lol, X3 has a huge learning curve, but once you get it, its a freaking awesome game :) And Lenderz is right, if you join a corp right off the bat, that can make or break this game for you. A good corp will always be active and doing something to keep you active. One firs tcorp I joined was an awesome null sec corp, learned a lot and stayed with them for years.

• The_Terminator says:

Yep, as people have said, there’s a limit to how many skillpoints you can invest in a particular thing; so even the best players are generally just much more versatile, as opposed to much better.

Even in PvP combat, a new player can fill a vital role in many fleets with just a few days training, as a tackler – someone who flies a small, fast ship, and darts in close to catch the enemy and trap them there so they can’t escape, while the bigger ships in the fleet deal most of the damage.

If you’re interested in giving Eve a try, I highly reccommend looking up Eve University. It’s a corporation which specialises in helping new players get started, and they’re a great bunch to fly with. One of my best memories of Eve is of leading a fleet of 100-odd Eve Uni members (mostly newbies who’d only been playing for a few weeks, or even less) during wartime – we even managed to take down an enemy battleship. I’d only been playing for a month at that point, so if I can do it, anyone can.

• Ninja Foodstuff says:

Well I started a trial, installed the client and it crashes at character creation. After checking the forums, it seems that this is an issue with the latest nVidia drivers. There is a lot of advice on safe mode/rolling back drivers but er no.

Being stuck at the first hurdle is not making for a good impression.

• Montavious says:

Hmm, I have a Nvidia GeForce GTX 560, have never had a problem with running Eve, or anything else. What card do you have? Does it meet the minimum reqs? ANd make sure your downloading your drivers from your PC/Laptops manufacturer. I have to download mine from Asus, cant use the Nvidia website.

• Delusibeta says:

At risk of sounding like a Dreddit shrill (I don’t play the game, so I can’t be), here’s a couple of stories of people kicking ass within 72 hours of joining the game:

• Ninja Foodstuff says:

It’s a GTX570. Supposedly the issue is with the latest 295 driver. But as I said, I don’t see the point of messing about with drivers. But fortunately(?) I use a Mac, so I’m going to try the mac client instead.

EDIT: And wouldn’t you know it, the Mac version doesn’t work either. Again it’s not just me: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=765749
      Going to try it on my laptop and then I’m giving up on it.

EDIT 2: Tried my laptop, also a mac, I get as far as choosing a root hair colour before it crashes with an exception.

…and thus ends the story of Ninjafoodstuff’s EVE experience.

8. lunarplasma says:

Is it still more than £10 sterling to get a monthly subscription for EVE? This was the main reason I wouldn’t play it, and a drop in that price would be more enticing (as a new player) than anything else.

• 0rpheus says:

You can pay for your account with in game cash if you do it right, otherwise yeah that’s still roughly the sub.

9. Stevostin says:

As always with MMO, I am turned off by all the “do stuff together / be an efficient member in the group”. It’s not that I hate teamplay, but it’s just work to get some. By “work” I mean finding competent gamers, being yourself competent, demonstrating it, play at regular times (and f***k real life schedule), etc. All things that most people find the essence of unattractiveness in working in big company. Also it means that if you’re an independant you’ll be crushed by a game made for strong groups that will walk over you.

When will someone realise an MMO that let you play alone in a world packed with Human Intelligence rather than AI is all worth paying a subscription, and probably a way more enjoyable experience thant the same but with the “work @ mac donald guild” employment obligation ?

• Lars Westergren says:

I totally agree with you Stevostin, the social aspect is what has gotten me hooked to MMOs earlier. I’m very bad at saying “no” if someone asks me nicely and soon I’ve ended up with second full time job. This is why I try to avoid them now.

>When will someone realise an MMO that let you play alone in a world packed with Human Intelligence

I think ST:TOR, GW2, The Secret World and possibly World of Darkness all try to different degrees to make the game appealing to solitary players, those looking for a story driven RPG essentially. But I’m still wary of them, I don’t want to risk a relapse.

• Lobotomist says:

@steveostin

They allready figured that. And for years now !

Infact the main problems of MMOs right now is that they are almost 100% soloist oriented.

Games like SWTOR , or RIFT – 99.999% of content you can do alone and need no one else.

But that the big question arises = why do i pay sub if basically i am playing single player game ?

Sandbox games like EVE do give you possibility to do your own thing. And many do in EVE.

No need to be slave to coorporation or part of military squad.

You wont be the best , but in such open universe , the choice is yours really

• Stevostin says:

I get your point lobotomeist which makes me think I should have tell a bit more.

I am not speaking about leveling content. To me leveling / quest in a MMO is a lost cause. You can say what you want about blankness of Bethesda’s writing, one boring quest in Skyrim is still way more interesting than a Wow quest. Not only because the writing is more enjoyable (ie : you don’t skip it for once) but because the game mechanics are more open for this sort of thing. So basically, the “let’s have solo like questing in a MMO” probably is a lost cause or at best is twice the effort to end up with narrative ruined by people spamming “selling +12 sword for 600go or 400 if yr a chick lol” in the general channel. Yes, why indeed pay a subscription for that.

But Eve isn’t forcing you at all into “questing”. You can mine, smuggle, trade, take opportunities. The narrative of what you do isn’t prewritten but occur because you don’t always compete against NPC who need writing to do anything but with player who don’t. Storytelling in wow quest may be bland… OTOH all the best gamer stories I have are from Wow. And we all know how incredible Eve’s gamers stories are wonderful.

What I want is good player stories of lone sharks, of people who made themselves powerful enought not to be botherded by big group all by themselves. There were stories like that from Eve – and who knows, maybe it’s still something that can be. But if that’s so, why not at least mention it in a trailer ? I just want to see a MMO dev who shows me a strong signal that he gets we need to be able to have none-guilded PvP and none guilded-endgame-PvE at the core of the gameplay. I want to know that for each and every update they do they check that this kind of player (IMO by far the most naturally numerous crowd) has something in their plate.

And don’t get fooled : it’s mainly a marketing decision first. The whole “Raid” idea comes from one very specific game designer in Everquest. The point is that raid means social network and social network greatly enhance the faculty for the average customer to pay for a subscription. I did pay for that. I won’t anymore. I am waiting for marketing monkey to notice this paradigm shift and understant that now “guild” is a repulsive, not attractive term in a trailer. To me, and probably to a lot of others.

• Lobotomist says:

@Steveostin

I agree

Sandbox games – eve for example. Is viable for singleplayer. But I would wish to see more gameplay opportunities for lone wolves.

Here is good example.

I too hate corporations. And in EVE my goal was to be Han Solo type of smuggler.
      What they call “blocade breaker”

So i invested lot of money in stealth super fast carrier.

Turns out that
      1. Large organized groups have almost no problem stopping this kind of ship.
      2. Its not really financially needed or viable…

I just wish they given more ways for solo player to make mark on the universe…

• Montavious says:

@Lobotomist

That still is possible. My friend that a leech off for money is a trader and manufacturer. He has contacts in null sec (lawless) space. They order stuff from him and hes carries it to him. Hes a jump freighter pilot and has no problems getting in and getting out. Thats one thing i love about this game, there is no easy mode. You have to work for what you get unlike in most MMO’s. There are plenty of opportunities, you have to find them, or work for them. Eve is a player run game, not an NPC one. So if your an soloist, you can probably find some things you like, but this game probably isnt for you.

• Joshua Northey says:

I agree. I at most want to have to regularly interact with my family members who play with me, or maybe close friends. I don’t want to have to have to herd an extended group of semi-strangers to access the best content.

I played WoW very heavily for a few months several years ago. Ran a guild even for a bunch of people who were “friends of RL friends” and such. People I had met once or twice.

In the beginning it was great, we would play solo and chat, or make pairs or small groups and do something bigger. But the further we got the more people we needed and the more composition was important. So now we need people X, Y, and Z to do any of the things we hadn’t done yet, so you have to make appointments, and then sanction people if they don’t show (cause we were blocking off large sections of time), and yada yada yada, and pretty soon it turns into a second job.

And you can say “well just ignore the high end content that requires large groups”, but most people just are not able to do that. They don’t want to be second class citizens, so they either quit or they take on this second job.

Anyway I would be really interested in an MMO that didn’t feel like half the gameplay and most of the really well thought out gameplay was designed for large groups of hardcore players. Maybe that is foolish as it is all about money, but perhaps the revenues from keeping the casuals for 8 months instead of 4 would be roughly equivalent to that from keeping the hardcore for 15 months instead of 30?

10. Hanban says:

For anyone feeling enticed: RockPaperShotgun Holdings, RPSH for short, are always looking to help new players get a foot into the game.

We’re a corp geared towards PVP, but primarily what we do is really just try to help people get into the game. If anyone’s interested in trying EVE out you can find us here on the RPS forum’s community section. Ask questions there or simply hit us up in-game in the channel ‘Rps Community’

/BobHound

11. goettel says:

Add a procedurally generated universe (or at least galaxy) to EVE, and we can talk. Boiling the deep space trope down to space combat leaves it with nothing but grinding and ego-tripping.

12. frenz0rz says:

“Take time to learn what interests you at your own pace.”

I wish someone had pointed that out to me during the 30 day trial I did last summer. I enjoyed the experience as a whole immensely, but ultimately got bogged down by trying to do too much too soon, and by forcing myself to do things I didnt really enjoy just to make cash.

The problem I found was that I desperately wanted to be a pirate – a dashing, Han Solo-esque rogue with a twist of “Stand and deliver!”, living on the frontiers of civilised space – but I quickly found that such a lifestyle was near impossible to finance as a new player. So I resorted to just grinding missions, harvesting the post-battle scrap and selling it for a small profit; essentially I became an intergalactic junk dealer. Mildly interesting perhaps, but not quite what I had in mind.

• Pugiron says:

Wow you have absolutely no idea what a Pirate or Han Solo does. Solo was a smuggler. He did not attack people and kill them to steal their stuff, moron. He snuck goods past the authorities and the independents that would steal the shipment. (You know, asshole pirates like you want to be).

• frenz0rz says:

Hey now pal, no need to start calling me a moron or an asshole. If you go back and read my comment again, you’ll see I mentioned my avatar being a “Han Solo-esque rogue”. Now where in that statement did I imply that Han Solo was a pirate? Of course I know he was a bloody smuggler. I was just trying to use an instantly recognisable character to help describe the sort of swaggering scoundrel feel I was going for.

What I’m about to say is a huge generalisation and I apologise in advance to the majority of star wars fans out there, but some of you really do take your personal investment in fictional characters within a fiction universe a bit too seriously.

Lighten the fuck up.

13. S Jay says:

I am enticed. I bought the game in November and still didn’t try. Damn Skyrim.

14. Tams80 says:

Hmmm. Now I’m considering joining again.

I wouldn’t be able to access the game that much; so would it be plausible to run an account using mainly isk that isn’t played much? Basically, how much do you have to play to earn enough isk to keep playing?

• christiaanl says:

Not that hard – I just started a new account after not having played since 2005, and made enough with a trading alt in about two weeks to keep me in well-equipped ships for a few months, provided I don’t lose a billion at once. The barrier for entry is still high, of course, but it’s substantially easier to earn isk now than it used to be, and you could support yourself through the early game pretty well just camping an alt in Jita and logging in a couple times a day for maybe 10-15 minutes. Or every other day, or every other other day.

15. MCM says:

Playing EVE is awesome, except for the part where you have to play EVE. The actual gameplay is some of the most boring, repetitive garbage ever.

To paraphrase, days of sheer boredom punctuated by minutes of excitement.

16. Maxheadroom says:

I’ve tried several times to get into Eve. Managed a couple of months at the last go. Are there stil only 3 missions? (go fly to X then kill/mine/deliver Y and return).

And yeah I guess thats what every MMO quest boils down to, but in Eve it seemed like I was doing ‘exactly’ the same mission over and over again

• Hanban says:

The problem with EVE, is that unlike other MMOs (be wary, personal opinion coming!) there really is no way to enjoy it singleplayer. In WoW you can quest by yourself and depending on what type of person you are that be just dandy. In EVE this approach will be more difficult since mission running primarily is a way of earning money, not a way to get progression in the game. Progression is passive through the learning of skills, and becoming more skilled. EVE is a goal oriented game but the goals have to come from you, and most of those goals can be difficult to achieve on your own.

You could certainly play EVE completely by yourself, but somehow, more so than with other games, this seems like missing the point of the MMO. To get optimal enjoyment, join a corp, get involved with what the corp is doing and have a goal to work towards. If that doesn’t fly well with you, well then perhaps EVE really isn’t for you. Obviously not all games will suit your tastes, but if you like freedom and can bear some grind tediousness in relation to building your funds, then EVE might be for you.

17. Joof says:

I do love my rectangles.

18. Scandalon says:

Lordy that looks amazing. But seeing as how I could barely get through the tutorials in Perpetuum…

19. Arctaeus says:

I tried Eve Online about 4 months ago. It was an interesting game and I managed to get a Hulk plus strip mining lasers and a few other bits and pieces (bought with Plex).

I heard about how awesome the game was when you are part of a Corporation and I did my absolute best to join a “good” corp (and not some random one advertising in the Corp channel which had about 4 members). Every Corp asked for a large amount of skill points and “experience of doing a certain task (piracy, manufacturing, mining”. Both of these can’t be faked (skill points take time and experience take time). Also, I would imagine that most established Corps are very careful about recruiting new people they don’t know because of the threat of spies?

Recommending Eve University is all well and good, but when there is the Wartime Standard Operating Procedures, you are forced to either leave the corporation and get “fast tracked” back in when the war is over, or take part in operations that you either aren’t skilled enough to do (not enough skill points) or don’t have a good enough ship to take part in. Also, I did an application and waited patiently in the “Eve University” public channel and joined the queue etc etc – I was at number 2 in the queue for about 2 weeks and kept waiting and waiting and got nowhere. Now, I understand that volunteers run it, but recommending a corp to someone and then getting that new player to wait for 2 weeks to get any sort of response.

In their defence, I didn’t do any of the classes that they run, but I did all of my research on armor tanking, ship load-outs, so I felt that classes such as “armor tanking 101″ and “Mining/Refining” wasn’t for me as I had done my research online (using the ISK3.0 guide, no less)

My experience of Eve – it was fun mining in my hulk and making lots of cash, but I didn’t see anything beyond that. I would have loved to be part of a “bigger Corp” where all of the minerals I mine were contributed towards a war effort and I “had” to mine all these asteroids to get the minerals to build ammunition to crush out enemies! However, no established Corp would accept me and the Corps I joined via the “corporation” channel were either U.S Corps (timezone difference) or E.U corps where I was the only active member.