Paradox Hint At Three New Games, Revealed Next Month

By John Walker on February 8th, 2012 at 4:45 pm.

I prefer tulips.

Paradox have announced their line-up for next month’s GDC and it contains three new games. They’re waiting until the convention to say what they are, but they’ve dropped some hints and codenames, including a new game from the Magicka team, an action multiplayer.

So the three secremative projects are:

Project “JFK” from Arrowhead Game Studios

Described as being “breakneck-paced multiplayer combat with a focus on killing your friends and looking cool doing it”, it sounds like yet another direction for Paradox’s publishing interests. And certainly a huge new direction for Arrowhead. It’s principle is apparently, “More is more,” which is undeniably factual.

Project “Revenge” from Critical Studio

This one’s far more ambiguous, but sounds to me like a small-scale multiplayer, or perhaps co-op? They say, “All you need is two friends and one mortal enemy in this action packed action game in a world that can be described as death trap for heroes and children.” Figure that one out.

Project “Silverado” from Zeal Game Studio

It’s a combo. This one’s combining RTS features with shooter, and tabletop wargame. And some sci-fi. Oh my. No more clues at this point.

They’ll also be showing more of A Game Of Dwarves, and melee madness War Of The Roses, and I’ll be there to hoover up as much information about them all as I can.

, , , , , , .

1. Sp4rkR4t says:

Project “Silverado” = Syndicate style game?

PLEASE TO ALL THAT IS UNHOLY SAY IT IS SO.

2. NAZIUFOCOMMANDER says:

At this rate in 20 years Paradox will release all the games.

3. Creeping Death says:

“Described as being “breakneck-paced multiplayer combat with a focus on killing your friends and looking cool doing it”, it sounds like yet another direction for Paradox’s publishing interests. And certainly a huge new direction for Arrowhead.”

I can’t tell if that “huge new direction for Arrowhead” comment was said in seriousness or meant to be tongue in cheek… Because multiplayer combat with a focus on killing yuor friends just sounds like someone is describing Magicka to me :P

4. McCool says:

Project JFK” is described as having “a focus on killing your friends”, which to me suggests conspiracy.

Project “Revenge” is…I don’t know. It sounds great though, I want to hear more about it

Project “Catwalk” was the most annoying program my sister ever used to insist on putting on

and Project “Silverado” is combing a jolly lot of things isn’t it? I wonder if the shooting will be that first person short we sometimes get. Probably not, but that kind of thing is lovely when it makes friends with tabletop games and RTSs.

• InternetBatman says:

You’re thinking of Project Runway. I probably shouldn’t know that.

• McCool says:

Actually you are right! Project Catwalk was the UK spin-off of Project Runway. My sister watched both. Project Runway was definitely the more annoying, due to the louder, more squealy accents. Americans are so much, well, louder when they are excited.

If there was a way to remove information from one’s brain with a mind-rubber..

• mrwout says:

Auf Wiedersehen…

5. Khemm says:

Right now, Paradox’s games I’m looking forward to the most are Crusader Kings 2 and Warlock.

Considering they seem to cater to niche, hardcore audiences for the most part, it’d be amazing if they considered creating a spiritual successor to Jagged Alliance/Silent Storm – squad based turn based goodness. We haven’t had a game like them in years.

• MythArcana says:

All words rendered here have been the most sensible thing I have read on this site in weeks. This is what quality gaming should be in this age. Also, be on the lookout for Masters of the Broken World this year, as well.

6. 0rpheus says:

Hopes leapt at the thought that it could be Naval War: Arctic Circle.. then cruelly dashed! :(

7. Merlkir says:

Still no Mount and Blade 2. :(

• Torgen says:

Hopefully it’s in development, and Roses is supposed to fill in in the meantime.

Or… they are waiting to see if Roses is going to supplant M&B before sinking millions into development of the latter?

• GrandmaFunk says:

waa?

…the 3rd Mount &Blade game was released last year.

and with the insane level of productivity on the Warband mod front, what exactly are you missing?

• Limey says:

Warband was more of a pricey expansion than a sequel and WFAS was created by a different group of people and also wasn’t very sequel-like.

There have been rumours of M&B2 on the forums, though. Apparently some guy said something in an interview or something.

• Khemm says:

Smashbox says:

I’m with Khemm, but I haven’t lost hope in the game. It sounds like they’re trying to do something novel with multiplayer melee at least.

• killias2 says:

“I was hoping War of the Roses would be an evolved, even more RPGy version of M&B – unofficial M&B2 of sorts – with an involving single player campaign given the setting, but it’s shaping up to be a multiplayer oriented slashy-slasher. What a shame.”

Yeah, I don’t think WotR is that at all. Mount and Blade 2 is coming. The main guy behind the first one confirmed it like a month or two ago. WotR takes some inspiration from M&B, but it’s probably more like M&B’s multiplayer + Battlefield 3 than anything else.

8. Jim9137 says:

I bet one of those is Sword of the Stars II Really ThisTime.

• Inverselaw says:

I very much look forward to playing the first release candidate of SOTS 2.

9. wodin says:

Not one of them has me excited. I definitely worry about Silverado game. Sounds way to much of a mix, the only words I like are tabletop wargame maybe it’s Cowboys Total War.

10. Darko Drako says:

When are they going to make a proper sequal to mount& blade?

11. Zeewolf says:

It all sounds a bit too multiplayery for me.

• wodin says:

I agree. Way to many games focusing on Multiplayer I feel.

They own the rights to ASL. Yet what do they do? Sit on them so no one else can have them and do absolutely nothing with it.

However they are developing hybrid RTS\First person with table top gaming. Do first person RTS hybrids work? I hate RTS at the best of times. Oh and if this is what they’ve done with the ASL rights…I imagine a huge outcry.

Infact all those games sound like Multiplayer shoot ya mates in the head games. Surely we have enough of those around at the moment…don’t we?

• LuNatic says:

What is ASL?

• Vinraith says:

Advanced Squad Leader

I had no idea Paradox owned those rights. In fairness, however, none of the titles in this article are being developed by Paradox, just published.

12. Frank says:

“More is more” is Paradox’s principle, too, it seems. They already release half of all games each year, would it kill them to publish just one that is well-made? I always like the ideas behind their games, but rarely like actually playing them.

• deadly.by.design says:

“I always like the ideas behind their games, but rarely like actually playing them.”

You could almost say it’s… paradoxical.

• Frank says:

heh, yup

• USER47 says:

“Do you know what is it, Frank?”
      - puts on sunglasses –
      “…a Paradox”
      -quickly walks away-
      YYYYEEEEHHHHHHHHH…

13. Bhazor says:

Still no sequel to Elven Legacy?
    Sucks.

Still high hopes for Silverado. A shooter (ho hum) with RTS features (ah ha) built around abstract table top rules (fuck yeah!)? Colour me intrigued in a shade of delighted.

• djim says:

The guys doing Warlock are the ones who did Elven Legacy. Maybe after they finish with Warlock?

• UnravThreads says:

But that franchise – I think – is owned, or at least developed, by 1C. Paradox just published/distributed it in the rest of the world.

14. buzzmong says:

Wo ist Cartel?
    Seriously, no Cartel news? I’m hankering for a glimmer of hope for later in 2012.

15. Blackcompany says:

Paradox. ho-hum.
    I have admittedly reached a point where I must fight certain stereotypes when I hear the names of a given developer or publisher. For instance:
    EA: Yes, but it will require Origin and the purchase of six DLC packs for the whole story. Pass.
    Paradox: Sounds great, but will it be finished?
    Bethesda: Soon we will have the SDK, so we can finish the game and fix all the bugs.
    Valve: Cliffhanger now. Sequel…when we feel like it. A million cryptic references in between.
    Kalypso: It was almost as good as the game that inspired it. Almost.
    Its always good to know what to expect. In the case of paradox, unfortunately, I just don’t expect them to finish their game. I will grant you, however, that they all sound intriguing provided they are somehow finished, however.

• Zeewolf says:

“Paradox: Sounds great, but will it be finished?”

Maybe, maybe not. But at least there will be plenty of DLC.

(I like Paradox, but… yeah)

16. Vagrant says:

Project JFK, a game “with a focus on killing your friend.”

-Finally the assignation game I’ve always wanted!
    -I predict this ‘president-killing’ training simulator will be banned in the US.
    -I never thought a game based off the Cuban Missile Crisis was a good idea.

And that’s all I’ve got.

17. misterT0AST says:

“It’s principle is apparently, “More is more,””

Oh God! THAT APOSTROPHE! MAKE IT GO AWAY FOR GOD’S SAKE!

BathroomCitizen says:

2012 will be the year of Fred Wester, CEO of Paradox.