Valve’s Skyrim Mod: Finding Spaaaaaaaace Man

By Craig Pearson on February 8th, 2012 at 12:05 pm.

Be very afraid, Space Core.
Alongside the Skyrim Creation Kit and the HD Texture Pack that was officially released last night, Valve added their own little addition to Skyrim: Fall of The Space Corp, Vol. 1 adds Portal 2′s jittery little Space Core to the Nord world, voiced by the man that holds the patent on all gaming voiceovers, Nolan North. It’s both proof that clicking things in Skyrim’s Steam Workshop works just like they said it would, and that Valve’s punmasters are missed a trick by not calling him Nolan Nord. When you add the mod to the game, you need to find him. Here’s a video I made that shows you how.

He’s west of Whiterun, just a little bit to the north of tower where you fight the dragon. Walk along that road and you’ll hear a large crack of thunder and the core will plummet into a burned out house nearby. He’s not a companion, he just sits in your inventory and chats in space gibber whenever you click him.

Does this mean Portal 2 is now part of Skyrim’s canon?

__________________

« | »

, , , , , , .

1. caddyB says:

IMMERSION

2. SophieH says:

The cake is an arrow to the knee!

3. GetUpKidAK says:

Can’t you craft him into a helmet or something?

• Tuskin38 says:

You can, gotta use that thing beneath the Winterhold College

4. JenSeven says:

I used to be a SPAAAAACE man like you, but then I took a cake to the knee.

5. TomSmizzle says:

ALL SKYRIM MODS ARE CANON.
    Especially Macho Man dragon.

6. Dana says:

Skyrim is part of Portals canon.

7. WhatKateDoes says:

“Oooh I knowIknowIknow.. Lets go to space.. space is the best.. no dragons.. just space.”

XD I love the little guy :)

8. Noxy says:

Off topic but, one can certainly get used to seeing Craig Pearson posting around these parts more often!

• siegarettes says:

Indeed. There seem to be a larger variety of writers coming around RPS these days.

9. TheGroovyMule says:

I’d download this mod, but I don’t think I have the ‘space’ for it…

That was terrible…

10. pmanpman says:

no keyword search yet

11. faelnor says:

I love how you press tab before remembering that inventory is another key, and then proceed to scroll tediously through your inventory. And they say Skyrim’s UI is not a problem.

12. kastanok says:

There has just got to be a thu’um included with this download. What’s Dragon for ‘SPAAAAAACE’? And the effect, what might that be? Launch the target in the air with a force increasing with the number of ‘A’s?

13. Asskicker says:

Amazing, but I wish he was a companion and would float behind you :(

14. Kdansky says:

Weight: Pi
    Value: 2^8

Well played.

15. Milky1985 says:

If you find it please tell me, there was already 13 pages of them last night and its getting too much to “browse” through if your actually looking for something :/

16. Tei says:

Looks to me like a dwemer artifact…

17. Matt-R says:

I’m guessing I’m the only grumpy one that wonders if there could be something I’d like less in Skyrim? (hyperbole of course but y’know).

• Unaco says:

Thank you for sharing this with us Matt-R. I don’t know how I could have gotten through the rest of the day if I hadn’t known your feelings on this (obviously light hearted & entirely optional) crossover between two major gaming franchises whose developers have recently got together to embark on a shared venture, and a new way of distributing mods. Well, obviously I would have made it through the day (hyperbole, but y’know)… but it really wouldn’t have been the same. Shallow, empty, hollow somehow.

• Matt-R says:

I’m glad to see my error in thinking this was all serious business and mandatory has been corrected! (of course I never said anything to that effect at all)

Infact you’re attributing a lot to me that I never said, so thanks for that!

• Unaco says:

You’re welcome!

• Nick says:

Oh look, a douche fight.

18. wererogue says:

Games companies should mod each others’ games more often.

• vivlo says:

maybe Valve modding Bethesda explains why Skyrim got HD and such ?..

• Quasar says:

Next, Bethesda have a go at redesigning the Steam UI. Nobody ever plays a PC game again.

Just kidding, Beth. Stay classy.

19. wodin says:

I liked the way it came from out of space…a good effect, however what is the point of it does the robot do anything at all?

The effect has me thinking of some kind of Alien mod….or The Thing…

• DrMelon says:

You can hollow it out and wear it as a helmet if you go to the weird altar thing underneath the College of Winterhold.

20. CaspianRoach says:

So that’s where it ended up after being sucked out in space! There should be a certain other core that should be nearby as well then

21. Vagrant says:

You know what would be even cooler? Adventure Sphere. Although I guess it doesn’t matter since it’s not a companion.

22. Blackcompany says:

Please do let us know if you spot one. The lack of a search feature is, frankly, baffling. I really do not relish the idea of mustarding up the patience for a Google search just to find mods from Steam Workshop. Hot dog, would that be annoying.

23. Crescend says:

I guess its up to the modders to make these personality cores into companions :)

24. DocSeuss says:

I really feel that they’re trying too hard to make this into a meme, and it’s not working nearly as well as the companion cube. I feel like that kind of sums up a lot of Portal 2, actually, which is a huge part of the reason I had a harder time enjoying it than the first. It felt like they expected you to react to Portal 2 the way you reacted to Portal 1, but it also felt like a less earnest, more commercial endeavor in every way. The puzzles also felt dumbed down (only one comes to mind as being truly puzzling) and mostly reliant on finding the distant portalable surface–as if it were designed more for a mass audience. Couple that with the larger, more television-friendly interface, fewer graphical options, and a reduction in puzzles reliant on aiming while moving (particularly when flying through the air), and I get the distinct impression that Portal 2 was made as a more commercial endeavor for the… well, the console crowd.

One of Kim Swift’s interviews on the subject of her leaving Valve kinda says as much. The small-team, independent ethos died. :

Also, it seems odd that, after Harry Partridge called Skyrim the adventure of his life, that we got the space core and not Rick the Adventure Sphere.

25. MythArcana says:

*Watches 4 million kiddies and their fearless leader ruin a normally excellent game and turn it into a shitbird Source project.

• HothMonster says:

OH noes other people are enjoying mods I don’t approve of. Someone get my senator on the line.

• monkeybiscuit says:

Oh noes, a person on the internet who doesn’t like the same thing as me and has the nerve to voice his opinion. Someone call a mod and censor his comment because it offends my sensibilities!

• Man Raised by Puffins says:

Indeed. These mods will ruin Skyrim precisely as much as the innumerable prehensile penis and methane-filled mammary mods ruined Oblivion, i.e. they won’t (unless you decide to install them all in a fit of apoplectic masochism, obv.).

• monkeybiscuit says:

It isn’t much of consolation to say “if u dont like it dont download it……..” when the damage has already been done. Realization has been instilled into us that 99.9% of the modders out there are sexually frustrated transvestite monkeys. It’s a terribly depressing thought to realize that these people will be our world leaders some day.

• Unaco says:

Awww… Someone’s grumpy. Can’t you turn that frown upside down MythArcana? You realise that mods are totally optional, right? You don’t have to install any, don’t have to change YOUR Skyrim at all… You can keep it just as it is (a place of grimaces and scowls, where never a friendly word is said no doubt), and no one will judge you. At the same time, other people can and will change their game, and make THEIR Skyrim what they want it to be. How is that a bad thing?

And what’s wrong with ‘kiddies’ getting creative? Getting stuck into the mod tools, doing something productive etc. Sure, there’ll be some terrible mods… there’ll be some mods that will make me angry and question the faith I have in video gaming… there’ll be mods I’ll think are stupid, unnecessary, ridiculous… But I don’t have to use them, they don’t have to change my game. And some people are going to have fun (I presume you know what this is, yes?) making them, and playing them, and discussing them.

So really what is so terrible about this MythArcana? Care to elaborate?

• monkeybiscuit says:

Maybe he just doesn’t like the mod. What’s wrong with that?

• Interrobangin says:

Give MythArcana a break. He has OCD, and if he doesn’t install every mod on the Steam workshop, he’ll fillet his wife.

26. AbyssUK says:

Portal gun in Skyrim, modders on your marks get set… GO!

27. Necroqubus says:

FRUS ROH SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACEEEEEEE

28. Jupiah says:

I always wondered why that house was burned down before!

29. tequibo says:

Without this mod: interesting, well-written characters in Skyrim: 0.
    With this mod: interesting, well-written characters in Skyrim: 1.

• Ultra-Humanite says:

Hyperbole is an excellent way to encourage people to ignore you.

• McCool says:

That was rather self-defeating, wasn’t it, Ultra-Humanite? Still though, I agree with you. Boo to hyperbole!

30. McCool says:

There is something strangely uncanny about devs making mods for other devs games. Its like when you see the grown-ups get drunk and flirt with each-other as a kid.

• Jeroen D Stout says:

This gave my stomach a little jerk. This is exactly how it feels.

Actually, I remember being at the GDC felt like walking in on your parents having a big party.

31. DickSocrates says:

I love how Valve’s smug and hilarious sense of humour is infecting all games by all companies.

I love it. I REAL REALLY LOVE IT. Portal jokes? CAN’T GET A ******* ENOUGH OF THEM! HAHAHAH!!

A catestrophic failure might make Valve a little less irritiating, but since their core fans are more like cult members than gamers, unfortunately there is little chance of Valve ever receiving the refreshing slap they desperately need.

• Unaco says:

Lol… “Core Fans”! I get it… cos it’s the space core. Well done… You’re a hoot.

• Interrobangin says:

Ah, I see you used the word “infect”, so I will assume you got a little confused and thought this mod was mandatory. Do not fear, young one, for I am here to help! I’ll take it your computer is already powered on and you are sitting in a position where you can input commands in at least a basic fashion, so I’ll skip ahead a few steps, OK little buddy?

So first, you’ll need to open Steam. Assuming you are using Windows, move your mouse cursor (you can move your mouse cursor on screen by manipulating the physical “mouse”, or a similar device. Try it out for a while until you are comfortable!) to the start button in the lower left (left is your hand that forms an “L” when you extend your thumb and index finger!) corner of your screen. Depress the primary button on the mouse—and navigate the menu that pops up, and select “Steam” (you could also enter Steam into the search field!).

Secondly, wait for Steam to load. If your pop didn’t save your credentials, you’ll need him to re-enter them. Get a parent to help you out here if a little window opens asking for your user name and password. And remember, don’t tell anybody your password!

When Steam has loaded, look at the top of the window for the word “LIBRARY”. Using what we learned before, select it by “clicking” on it. This will display your games library! Pretty cool, huh? By default, your games will be displayed on the left hand side (remember that trick I taught you earlier!). Search that list for “The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim”. The list is, by default, in alphabetical order, so if you can’t find it, here is a code to help you out: ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ. Except instead of left to right, it is top to bottom!

Once you have found “The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim”, press your primary mouse button on it twice in quick succession, or use your secondary mouse button to open a menu and click “Play Game”. That second step is for advanced users, so if you are not comfortable doing it, don’t! Just keep trying the primary mouse button until you get it.

So now you just need to wait for the Skyrim launcher to load. This will usually be a window in the center of your screen. You’ll have the options: “Play” “Options” “Data files” “Tech Support” and “Exit”. Now, don’t worry too much about the other ones for now, so we can select “Data files”. Another window will open up for you. In this new window (don’t be afraid), look for “Fall of the Space Core, Vol 1″, and click it once. Now, move your eyes ever so slightly lower and locate the button to delete the mod. It should read “Delete Selected”. You’ll get a confirmation box which will help you from accidentally deleting mods. Since you want to delete this, just click on “Yes”.

Problem solved! If you have any more issues, feel free to ask, OK little buddy? :D

• monkeybiscuit says:

That was a pretty long winded way of telling someone a mod is mandatory, a fact I’m pretty sure he’s aware of. No in fact he wasn’t saying it was mandatory, he was just saying it sucks.

But like usual, we are on the internet with a young generation of Liberals who don’t seem to understand the concept of negative opinions, and ramp up into high sarcasm and insult mode whenever a negative opinion is aired.

32. Christian says:

I guess it’s been asked before but it still has to be said:

Where do I find those hats? Screw companions and other mods, just give me the hats already! That’s the only thing missing in Skyrim since it’s on Steam: lotsa user-created hats! (oh, and for those with broken fun-detectors–> ;) )

But something serious for the people who know more about odding than me (so everyone): Would it be possible to mod co-op into Skyrim now?

33. Demievil says:

Alot of Dialogue for this guy this one made me download it though;