Now I Want To Play Theory Interactive’s Reset

By John Walker on February 9th, 2012 at 3:51 pm.

Don't be sad, robot, look at the pretty flowers.

I love the phrase “single-player co-op”. That’s because I’m a misanthrope, and other people ruin everything. But it’s how Reset describes itself, as spotted by IGM. In fact, it’s a single-player co-op first-person puzzle game, exclusive to PC. That’s the genre I was waiting for! And by crikey, it sounds fascinating.

So how does that work then? Well, it seems it’s an extremely elaborate version of that masterful idea that I first saw from NekoGames’ Cursor*10. You can, they say, travel back in time to interact without yourself, solving puzzles with your own help. Yes yes yes – I want this, now please.

It’s from a Finnish two-person indie team, Theory Interactive, and they’ve announced it this very day. Along with what they call “four unedited real time screenshots”. Whether that means they’re in-game seems unlikely – they look like stills from a pre-render to me. But they’re stunning. Take a look:

It’s described as having a strong emphasis on story and atmosphere, indicating they’re aiming for a more esoteric angle, rather than something mainstream. Any more details are yet to be revealed, and we’re chasing them to find out more.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Suits says:

Now all that’s left is Soft Reset

2. Tusque D'Ivoire says:

that’s a very sad robot.

• Priestman says:

I also read it John and, if I am not mistaken, you’re making this game even more complicated than the developers propose:

“travel back in time to interact without yourself,”

WITHOUT YOURSELF?! 0_0

*faints*

3. Brun says:

Are those gameplay shots? If so this looks absolutely gorgeous.

• John Walker says:

I live in this fantasy world where people read the words I so lovingly craft, and I don’t cry as often.

• Unaco says:

Don’t worry John… I read it.

@Brun,

From the article itself…

“Along with what they call “four unedited real time screenshots”. Whether that means they’re in-game seems unlikely – they look like stills from a pre-render to me.”

I think I would agree.

• InternetBatman says:

Eh, you get paid either way. I’m a horrible speed reader, so I do miss bits and pieces of the article. Maybe you should make the entire thing red so people will notice.

• Suits says:

Don’t shed a tear for me please

• ResonanceCascade says:

Yeah, but “real time” and “pre-rendered” are usually a bit in opposition (unless you want to get really nit picky and pedantic, as I’m sure someone out there does).

If they aren’t in-game, then the devs are being kinda misleading.

• Hoaxfish says:

In the future, we will enjoy the works of Shakespeare by watching a streamed video of someone turning the pages quite fast

• Brun says:

I skimmed, I’m ashamed to admit.

That said, this looks great.

• Toasticus says:

I understand the skepticism guys, but “real time” specifically means NOT pre-rendered. The work on display here is certainly within the capabilities of a modern PC to show during gameplay, as you say. The main reasons most games don’t have graphics to this level are the scope of the projects, the fact that they aren’t made specifically for PC, and the amount of different stuff they need to have on the screen at once.

To put it more simply, if a single lonely robot is the only character model you ever have on screen, he can be as detailed as all the dozen or so soldier characters you would have in a standard shooty game all put together. Regardless, this looks and sounds fantastic, I’m definitely intrigued!

• aDemandingPersona says:

@Toasticus If you really think that fun game play consists of a camera panning around a cool robot looking thing, I pity you. Also, the developers are Finnish so it is possible they didn’t take all the implications that the term “real time” in English could have.

Just a thought.

• Toasticus says:

“real time” is a common and specific term among graphics professionals. I can understand it being unclear to a member of the enthusiast press, but it’s not the kind of phrase that could get lost in translation.

Also, don’t be a dick. I never said anything about what my concept of fun is, and if it’s a puzzle game then it might actually be able to get away with just the one character model of the robot just fine.

• CptPlanet says:

Guys, if this is real time then this is how the game looks. Simple as. I’m not sure if John understands what real time means and what pre-rendered means. Toasticus said it perfectly. Real time and pre-rendered screenshots are mutually exclusive.

• Monkey says:

Maybe they meant, real time as opposed to fake time, implying that when these screens were taken it was actually A time that existed at that point. Rather than some fake time that never existed and never will.

Thats exactly what they meant

• Grygus says:

Maybe John knows what real-time means but the marketing people do not. Seems at least as likely.

4. ResonanceCascade says:

Sounds like something right up my alley. Looks like it didn’t skimp on the pretties, either.

I just hope it allows me to make some insane Rube Goldberg machines via temporal tampering.

5. Teronfel says:

“four unedited real time screenshots” What the hell does this mean? I guess they are not real gameplay screens.

• Hoaxfish says:

someone pressed printscreen while playing the game?

• Nevard says:

These still images display on your computer in real time

• Toasticus says:

“real time” basically just means “not pre-rendered”. It’s worth using as opposed to “gameplay” in some places because you couldn’t quite rightly describe a screenshot from an in-engine cinematic (such as one showing your customized Shepherd model in ME) as “gameplay,” even though it isn’t pre-rendered either.

6. Unaco says:

Will be interesting to see how these Time Travel mechanics work. I’m sure I spent an afternoon discussing and figuring out the implications of Achron with some others once. That was interesting by itself… shame about the game though.

7. asshibbitty says:

Look like stills from an overcompessed prerendered video to me. pardon the redundancy.

8. RagingLion says:

YES PLEASE! The aesthetic looks lovely and the type of game is right up my street too.

9. Nixitur says:

Oh, look, that sounds EXACTLY like Prometheus. It’s a good game, but it hurts my brain.

• rapchee says:

yay i didnt have to write it, now i use the characters on a useless comment, although it also expresses that i knew about the mod before, so perhaps it is no so useless after all.

• Muzman says:

Ah there it is. I thought this sounded like a mod from way back. I thought it might have been the same people even.

Anyway, they say it’s a Sundance movie. There’s only really one Sundance movie they’re talking about.
      I was watching Primer just the other day too. I was thinking someone clever could make an interesting game out of that, but I was thinking more along the lines of Every Day the Same Dream initially.
      I wonder if strange and terrible things will happen seemingly out of nowhere because of what you (or a version of you) will do later on.

• LionsPhil says:

It does rather sound like Promethius. Unfortunately, Promethius kind of showed all the ways in which the concept is deeply flawed and not fun in first-person, like it being very unclear when and what you’re influencing at any given time in any given run.

10. Eddy9000 says:

The screenshots gave me a full on robo-chubby.

11. Zeewolf says:

Frankly I don’t understand why the screenshots wouldn’t be in-game. I mean, obviously the UI and stuff seems to be taken out, but nobody would present “four unedited real time screenshots” and actually mean four pre-rendered screenshots. Pre-rendered is the opposite of real time.

12. Tyrone Slothrop. says:

Yes, if those screenshots are in-game then… ahem; WOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOW.

13. wylie says:

“strong emphasis on story and atmosphere”
    They had me at that.

14. Skabooga says:

It’s from a Finnish two-person indie team

Really, it is just one guy who went back in time to help himself make a computer game.

15. LTK says:

The other day I was playing a game on Gaikai, and I wondered if there were any games that had high-end graphics, but didn’t rely as much on a quick response time. Such a game could benefit from cloud gaming without suffering from the drawbacks of longer latencies. Could this be that game?

16. Srekel says:

That’s basically the exact same game mechanic behind a game I made a while back :) It’s shown in the first part of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJW1CvV10xU

Would anyone be interested in playing it?

17. MadMatty says:

that could well be ingame as of the current graphix card techonology- hell you´d even see that in Section 8 : Predjudice or Serious Sam 3 . couple of fx filters in hires, running unreal 3 engine – no biggie

18. binster says:

I know this is a PC gaming only site, but for those of you who also own a PS3 the Ratchet and Clank title “A Crack In Time” has lots of really good puzzles using just this mechanic (i.e. the Cursor*10 mechanic). It’s also brills.

So yeah, PS3 and PC owners, give it a whirl!

19. GreatGreyBeast says:

Beautiful, ambitious, genre-bending pc-only puzzle game from two dudes in Finland. This is probably the last we’ll ever see of it.

20. standardman says:

Does that mechanic mean I could make time travelling me hug myself until I feel better? In the game, I mean.

21. Bryggz says:

I once thought I got laid in real-time, then I found out it was pre-rendered. Totally different things, man.

22. Cognitect says:

The debut trailer is out. From the video description: “Everything you see in the trailer is straight from the in-game engine, no up-ressed textures, geometry or effects. What you see is what you will get. Except hopefully a little bit better since we’re not even in alpha yet.”

Comment on this story