Remaking Azeroth Brick By Brick In Minecraft

By Craig Pearson on February 9th, 2012 at 3:02 pm.

Orgrimmar. It almost makes me want to return. Almost.
I once made the rather facetious remark that if Minecraft made infinite worlds then it would contain all other games within it. Why would I say such a thing? Because I am a stupid person masquerading as someone thoughtful. That’s why I wear two monocles. But there’s at least one part of that assertion that’s correct, thanks to Ramsesakama over on MMO-Champion, who’s attempting to build a 1-1 scale map of World of Warcraft’s Kalimdor in Minecraft. I can’t see: both monocles just fell out.

He’s using software to do it, but software he wrote himself so it’s cool. Chill. The recreation so far has managed to build up remarkable facsimiles of bits of Kalimdor: There’s Durotar, the Barrens, Orgrimmar, all blockily beautiful. There’s more to come, including the other continent, all the dungeons and instances and the expansion pack add-ons, and the world will be hosted and playable at the end of the mammoth task. You’ll be able to run around this.

Here’s an album of his work thus far. For the (pause to check WoWwiki) Horde!

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Dana says:

lfm rfk iron armor minimum all diamond reserved.

2. RF says:

I want to play it. D:

3. avoidperil says:

This is amazing but I don’t recognise half these places from my glory days in Azeroth. Why is there water in the Thousand Needles and a big gash through the Barrens? Has it been that long since I’ve wrested my life free of that game?

• Cryptoshrimp says:

That’s because of Cataclysm. Most zones changed for the better. but some zones, not so much.

• Telke says:

Yeah, it’s all Cataclysm changes.

Big full-continent render available here… (please no spamblock!): http://cursecraft.com/media/kalimdor8bit.png

• Laephis says:

Kinda wish the Minecraft version had been the classic WoW map. I have no connection to the Cataclysm stuff. (One of the many things that killed my interest in ever resubbing.)

• Spacecraft says:

I also wish it were the classic wow Azeroth. Cataclysm was the death of the game for me. :/

4. Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

It warms my cold, black, coal-like heart for some reason.

5. caddyB says:

Someone make the real world in minecraft so we can live there.

6. InternetBatman says:

Is he going to destroy it all and rebuild when the next expansion comes out? At this point Azeroth is facing serious incursions by ancient, earth-shattering evils daily.

Also, Mulgore looks as boring in Minecraft as it does in WoW.

7. Wang Tang says:

Wow, two monocles :O
    Chapeau, sir.

8. Jerakal says:

Holy crap. Is somebody paying this guy?

9. Obc says:

btw please avoid to speak of wowwiki which hasn’t been updated and is plagued with errors and malware. please tell people to look up wowpedia. thx ;)

10. trjp says:

It is a living testament to how much that fantastic world got under my skin that I look upon those images and think ‘amazing – I used to live there’…

I have real memories of the place – places I died, got lost, got annoyed, got attacked, attacked others, generally had a mad time of it.

Say what you will about WoW the game, but WoW the world is the greatest achievement of gaming to-date bar absolutely none.

There are places I’ve lived in the real world that I have fewer and FAR less fond memories of :)

• Stephen Roberts says:

Looking at the continent-in-one, I’m certainly getting nostalgic for the game that was. But it’s gone now. Like a good meal, an intense romance or a family pet.

There’s no punctuation mark for a raised glass but cheers, eh.

11. Wubble69 says:

Just to reiterate what Obc said

wowwiki is persona non grata in the online wow world these days and has fallen to various hives of scum and villiany.

wowpedia is the wiki that is kept up to date by the majority of the people who were at wowwiki and left.

It’s a community effort embraced by most of the major WoW newsites to NOT mention wowwiki as we, the wow community are trying to claw back the google listings away from the bad men.

12. Cunzy1 1 says:

If only your Second Life coverage was as knee jerk as your Minecraft coverage. Then you’d have like twice as many posts.

13. Sweedums says:

Remaking a game world in another game seems a tad pointless to me. Whatever floats your boat I guess.

14. Bork Titflopsen says:

“You wake up in Razor Hill…”

Good times… good times…