Wot I Think: The Darkness II

By John Walker on February 9th, 2012 at 10:39 am.

That was a bad scarf choice.

First-person shooter The Darkness II is out in the US, and tomorrow in the UK, and I’ve played it through to the gruesome end. Past the gruesome beginning, via the gruesome middle. How does all that grue hold up? Well, wipe away the lung and take a seat, and I’ll tell you Wot I Think.

I didn’t play The Darkness. The console-only title missed me, making the PC sequel my first experience of the series. But since I refuse to write comparison reviews on principle, it makes little difference, beyond my confusion over who the strange monkey-creature in the Union Flag shirt is. And it certainly didn’t stop me enjoying a couple of days with one of the noisiest, goriest and smartest shooters I’ve played in a while.

Wait, did I say “smartest”? That doesn’t sound right. Does it?

It makes an mixed first impression. There’s an absolutely gorgeous art style – a rotoscoped look, with deliberate nods to cartoon within what are remarkably realistic graphics. Black outlines surround people and objects, and they’re shaded with crude pencil lines, almost underplaying what is a superbly detailed world. Seeing the lights in a room reflecting in someone’s eyeballs is quite the thing, especially when their cheekbones are defined with hand-drawn shading.

But then it’s set in a Mafia family, lots of Noo Yoikers jammering at each other about how they “fockin’ did this” and fockin’ did that”, like a mobster waterfall of clich√©. They love their families, and they’ll fockin’ kill anyone who harms them, and so on.

But then the story is really about a Mafia leader who’s possessed by an ancient evil that existed before God let there be light. The Darkness, under central character Jackie Estacado’s control since the end of the last game, finds a way to convince Jackie to release it once more – to save his life. This gives Jackie an extra pair of arms – well, snakes – that can be used to throw around heavy objects, slash men in half, and rip hearts from chests. Yum.

But then this is very familiar territory, of a man battling evil and saving the world, without the game ever really explaining why any of it’s happening. The closest you get to a metaphysical motivation is to save the soul of your former girlfriend, Jenny, killed during the first game. The Darkness appears to have her trapped in hell, and is using this as a means to control you, force you to cooperate with his nefarious goals. So it’s battling darkness, to save the girl.

And back and forth you go, between the recognition of such over-familiar themes, and original twists and some superb presentation. The same is equally true of the combat.

In its transition to PC, real efforts have been made to make it work without a controller. And then abandoned just before they were finished. With a controller you’re stuck with the horribly jerky movement of an analogue stick that has never suited the FPS, and without it, you’re left with a muddle of keyboard controls. Because The Darkness II is a first-person shooter with knobs on. Knobs in the shape of long, shoulder-rooted tentacles with snakes’ heads on the end. So you have all the regular controls you’d expect from an FPS, and then some more on top.

That works great with all the various buttons on a controller, but isn’t quite so suited to a typing instrument. It means you’ve got left mouse firing, right mouse aiming, and then the middle mouse slashing the snakes, held down while you move the mouse in a direction to aim them, along with Q and E performing other snake tasks. It was better than flailing around with the imprecise controller, but too often trying to aim slashes with the same device that aims my view led to the game spinning me on the spot, doing neither.

Other porting faux pas include the lack of real save games, meaning if you want to start again, you have to wipe all your progress, and the completely unnecessary disappearing of dead bodies and broken items from the screen. Otherwise it’s pretty damned smooth, the graphics really ramped up to make use of the extra pretties, and the load times so quick you can’t even read the one-line messages before the next screen is in front of you.

But that combat is so fun! And offers you so much choice. If you want to play it as a straight FPS, you can pretty much ignore the shoulder-snakes for large chunks. If you prefer melee you can leave guns at your side. Or best, I’d suggest, is a judicious combination of the two, whipping a baddie into the air before popping his head, or shooting him to the ground, then sweeping him up with a tentacle and ripping his body in half with the other.

So why smart? It’s certainly not the game’s combat progression, which unfortunately gets more frustrating the further you go. By the last couple of missions baddies are so ludicrously powerful that headshots barely work any more, carrying massive shields that are covered in armour, holding whips that can remove the gun from your hands and lights that cause your Darkness powers to go away. Which essentially means you can’t do anything but hide, which isn’t quite the direction the power-fantasy should have been heading. Switch the difficulty down and you pretty much become invincible, but you know you’re cheating.

And it’s not the use of light, either. The Darkness can’t stand it, so you need to stick to the shadows to be able to do anything but fire your gun at a mostly white screen. This isn’t a mechanic that’s used interestingly at any point, and mostly requires shooting out lights, or more tediously, finding the generator for those – er – bullet-proof light bulbs. The biggest issue here is the game isn’t trying to be Thief, and is pretty well lit anyway, so even noticing you’re going somewhere too bright is tricky, let alone finding which source of light the game has decided it doesn’t like. Much more could have been made of this, but it’s just a distraction.

It’s actually in the telling that you realise the cleverosity here. From the start, your late lover Jenny is a far more interesting damsel in distress than you’d expect from such a brash, noisy shooter. She’s modestly presented, not tits on legs, and isn’t sexualised in motivating you to want to rescue her. If anything, Jackie is soppy in his smitten nature. Oh, and also clever is quite what a major role she plays in the game, despite being dead.

There’s a huge cast here, and while they’re all faded Scorsese-photocopies, each is superbly acted, and the lines get better and better as the game goes on. Between location-based shooting antics you spend time in your Mafia-mansion, free to wander around and chat to the many inhabitants before you head off on your next adventure. As events unfold, and more tragedy strikes, the investment in those characters pays off with some impressive pathos.

But that’s just a part of the game. Because it succeeds with yet another common trope – the “Which reality is real?” theme, for which I’m astonished to find I can’t find a TVTropes entry. I think the first time you see it, it’s the most effective, worn down each time since then. For me the big two are Red Dwarf’s Back To Reality, and Buffy’s Normal Again. And here, it’s basically that Buffy episode played large. Suddenly flashing away from moments of fighting for your dead girlfriend as a mafia boss with demonic powers, you find yourself in a mental asylum, surrounded by patients, doctors and nurses, with the same names and faces as the cast of the regular game. People desperately trying to tell you that being a mafia boss with demonic powers fighting for your dead girlfriend is probably not that real, which is, you know, pretty convincing. So it’s not the first time anyone’s seen the device, but it’s executed superbly well.

And then there are the moments where you appear to be in some sort of version of hell.

And the times they blur together.

And the doubt about any of it.

So while the game really does seem to be trying to gain the “Do Everything From Other Games” achievement throughout (almost straight away you’re running through an underground train tunnel, in and out of trains, and there’s the obligatory carnival level) it does it all with well-earned confidence and panache. It’s frustrating that the combat – something that’s so much fun early on – becomes the game’s frustration toward the end. And as much as I enjoyed the story, it’s a shame it’s delivered in a particularly unenigmatic way. It’s all in-game, which is great, but you’re stuck to the floor, and can barely turn your head, which means all conversations are seen from a static point of view, no use of direction to make long chats visually interesting. Luckily the art is so great I found myself studying the details as often as I was doodling in my notebook.

This is a truly gruesome game. Not just with its deliberate shock moments like regularly ripping humans in half, entrails and viscera revealed in perverted detail, but in its extremely adult content too. Especially one sequence upstairs at a dubious club, where you walk past room after room of sobbing, abused and violently fucked prostitutes. It’s dark.

It’s also relentlessly loud and boy-ish. There are three women in the entire game – one is the helpless maiden to rescue, one is a maid, and the third is an excellent but underused side-character, your Aunt Susan. It’s very much about a man being a man, coming to terms with his manliness, mostly by killing other men. Although Jackie does have a girl’s name and very girly hair, so it balances out.

I was genuinely expecting a brash, stupid shooter, noise and bluster and shooting at heads. That it’s so smart is a fantastic surprise. Without this, I think the game’s frustrations might have pushed it too deeply into a crowded crowd. But it’s not without this – and it’s enigmatic with it. I’ll obviously not spoiling the endings, but that ‘s’ just there tells you something. And I’ll say that they’re brilliant which is a rarely used word when talking about how games end.

It’s a decent, if overly-busy shooter, a cacophony of gore and screaming. But it’s also a surprisingly smart take on familiar territory, with some really interesting twists. I really was only expecting brains to feature when splattered across my monitor.

, , , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. iARDAs says:

I believe depending on a person this game can be either good or bad. Perhaps average.

Nice interview though. I will definitely pick it up with a decent Steam Sale.

I cant see myself purchasing this game over 20 bucks.

• Jim Rossignol says:

It’s one of our best interviews so far this year.

• MrEvilGuy says:

I wish I had the power to interview games…

• ThinkAndGrowWitcher says:

Have to agree on the quality of this interview. It’s comparable to Michael Parkinson vs Meg Ryan – except the bike-pumped lips actually explode in this one.

• Belsameth says:

Are you a spambot who forgets to insert a link?

It’s the 4th or 5th time I see you call a game “Good, bad or average”…

Kemuel says:

This is what I love about Steam. I don’t have much cash and this really isn’t my kind of game, so there’s no way I’m gonna invest in it at full price. But as a daily deal at oh-go-on-¬£15 I might well give it a shot so I can check out all the interesting, smarter kind of stuff covered in an interview like this.

• Shortwave says:

Haha, this made me scroll up to double check the article with my eyes slightly crossed.
      I’m going to assume he’s American and just waking up, give the guy a break!

• iARDAs says:

@ Jim Rossignol. Will you be doing video interviews down the road?

@ Belsamet. You clearly missed a few of my good,bad average comments. It should be more than 5. :)

@ Kemuel.. Same here. I love the game I reall do but this is not a full price game for me. 15-20 bucks is fair. I can wait for a few months.

@ Shortwave. Nope I am not American. I am Turkish. Woke up hours ago :)

• Shortwave says:

My friend, I’m not sure if the fool here is me..
      But this is a review, not an interview.
      No worries, I understand English is not your main language at this point. : P
      Though the idea of a video interview with dev’s sometimes would be neat!

• iARDAs says:

Ah shoot

I just realize that I said this is an interview. I meant review of course. Lol…

I played too much Skyrim last night I suppose.

• Screamer says:

“Ah shoot”

A Turkish cowboy? xD

• Shortwave says:

Haha! /me pats your back
      It happens to the best of us.

• menderslan says:

lf only you could talk to these games, then perhaps you could try and make friends with them, form alliances… Now, that would be interesting.

• Koozer says:

I think iARDAs’ English is either good or bad. Perhaps average.

• Engineseer says:

I would love to listen to what stories games like The Longest Journey or Planescape: Torment would tell, if interviewed…

@ iARDAs: Don’t worry, English is a second language to me too, i know the feeling…
      Greetings from Greece!

• FawkMSN says:

It’s only 25 dollars on the “Farewell to August” sale on Amazon

2. Khemm says:

I’m hearing the original is a much better game, mostly because of the hub-based Riddick-like gameplay structure instead of a bunch of linear levels. There’s no PC version however, so I can’t verify those claims.

• DrGonzo says:

I’m not so sure. The hubs and the like weren’t well executed in the original and were pretty much redundant. I don’t think that they actually lose that much by getting rid of them.

Loved the original, apart from the shockingly bad Quake 1 esque hell levels, and was really worried about this game. But I agree with John, it was great.

• Apples says:

You thought the Hell levels were that bad? Why? The gameplay during them was toss (I never figured out what the intended usage of those guns was supposed to be) but the actual levels had some great stuff in. There were some amazing visual pieces and tricks, some incredibly dark things if you explored a bit (which I never hear people mention for some reason), and it broke up the corridor-shooty gameplay nicely.

I thought the hubs kept the game grounded in reality. Having a wander through normal streets and tube stations gave a good sense of place, a rest between fights, and highlighted how weird the rest of the game was. They weren’t strictly necessary but I found they added to the game in general.

lurkalisk says:

I loved it. A shame it was never on PC, especially since its biggest problem was input lag.

• DK says:

The 4 Riders shown as victims of hell instead of it’s heralds. Pestilence a Gas-masked soldier nailed to a cross pecked by vultures, War a gigantic version of WW2’s railway cannons, Death a mountain of corpses and Famine a thin starved dog abandoned in an alleyway. It was brilliant.

• DrGonzo says:

I thought the art style of hell was really bland. Browny brown brown. Flat dated looking landscapes made of awkward polygons.

3. Drayk says:

I am currently playing the first one. I had a good feeling about this one so I bought the first one last week…

My backlog will have to wait some more…sigh

4. Amakir says:

Is that a Maffia thug with sock puppets?

Also did you know that The Darkness is played by the one and only Mike Patton?

5. Giant, fussy whingebag says:

I believe this is that TVtrope you were looking for:

Cuckoo Nest

6. neems says:

I am ashamed to say that I played the demo (which is apparently not very representative of the full game) with a controller… it just seemed more appropriate somehow. I can’t shoot for toffee with a gamepad, but luckily they have aim assist.

I don’t know, some games just seem better with a controller. As a device for looking around (and melee obviously) they just seem to have a better feel to them. Of course for speed, accuracy and response the mouse wins every time.

Also, I believe that the ‘Good, average or bad’ joke has now run it’s course. Please let it die with dignity.

7. Shortwave says:

Did they managed to squeeze in more graphics options and/or fix the horrible resolutions on the menu’s and stuff? (Blurry text and so forth) Just curious.

Either way I forced 16xEQ AA Edge Detect when playing the demo and thought it looked beautiful.
    And yea, it’s pretty fun. I didn’t really mind how the controls were setup but I was able to customize them for my Belkin game-pad and it was much more comfortable. I’ll def’ buy this when it goes on sale. The extra edge to the combat system was fun. Good article.

8. Jerakal says:

I loved this review, because it’s basically Identical to the one I was writing up for myself, except much better paced, organized, and it’s funnier.

(Hangs head in shame.)

That feeling when being a professional writer is so far away.

Did anyone else catch the showing of H.P. Lovecraft’s “The Other Gods” on a TV in a certain sequence? Classy.

9. Moe45673 says:

I played the original about 2 years ago and it surprised me in its plot. I loved the hell sequences, it totally took the story to the next level for me. And the ending was powerful. Also, had a great level in the Old City Hall station in New York (where the game takes place). My only complaint was that the cues to progress were not always obvious and there was one or two times I was combing the entire map for all the hubs trying to find it, almost giving up in frustration. Still, despite being an early console game, it’s got a great story and is worth playing and I will definitely pick up the sequel at some point.

PoulWrist says:

Funny. My impression of the demo was that it was a well presented game with a rather high budget, though somewhat… flimsy, in some of its presentation. Like shadows appearing and disappearing accordign to the scene and console framerates and the like.

While the combat nearly drove me insane. Maybe I needed to remap. Maybe I should’ve disconnected my Xbox controller since the game insisted on displaying ABXY in prompts and offered no option to turn off the controller. Then maybe I would’ve made some sense out of the combat options. But, I shouldn’t have to dig down in cable hell to disconnect a controller to play the game.

Also, the interface was broken at 2560×1440. 70% of it didn’t display on screen. The ingame stuff worked fine but the menu where you buy abilities and so on did not work over 1920×1200.

• Shortwave says:

Hmm, weird. I had the highest AA settings that CCC allows you to force and had a nice 80+fps.
      Maybe theres a hardware conflict on your rig with the game or something else going on. Also sorry to say, seeing as how I am a multi-screen user as well. But seriously stop expecting most games to work properly on them. It just won’t happen. It’s the reality of it.

11. N'Al says:

As a HUGE fan of the original I was severely disappointed by this game’s demo. It looked nice, and the gunplay was decent, yes, but it seemed to be lacking pretty much everything I thought made the original ‘not-just-another-shooter’.

This WIT (and Eurogamer’s review) seem to imply there’s a bit more to the game than the demo shows, though. Anyone who’s played both games can give an opinion how the games stack up side-by-side?

• Jerakal says:

I personally, felt that this game did exactly what a sequel should do. Build on concepts introduced in the original and improve them.

• N'Al says:

Hm, that’s interesting (as well as annoying).

Interesting because – as I said – the demo definitely didn’t give off the impression that the full game was going to be anything more than a mindless shooter.

Annoying because I was going to skip the game – and hence save me some money, plus not add to my backlog. Based on your comments, though, I might have to get it at some point after all. WHY DO YOU DO THIS TO ME!?!

• Apples says:

I want to hear from some fans of the original too. The moments I remember from the first game are not the combat at all; it’s the environments, the downtime where you walked around stations, the music. The combat in the demo was, I guess, much better mechanically and more memorable, but that’s not interesting enough to me to carry the whole game.

I just feel like it’s all gone very silly. Parodic Mafia voices, the most insufferable fake Cockney accent imaginable, gurning comic book villains, tasteless glorified violence, no breaks and no rests. I’d like to be wrong but that’s the impression the demo gave me. The obvious references to the past game (opening crucifixion scene = drill scene, leg injury) were a bad idea too since it just made me reflect even more on how different and wrong the atmosphere felt.

Mostly I’d like to know whether it gets more sad and serious (and not in a crude “sexual violence, mental illness!!! soooo mature!” way) and whether the environments are as good as the first.

12. Tyrone Slothrop. says:

Gentleman, does the retail game have an FOV option or one that is configurable through an easy .ini tweak?

• evilmatt says:

Nope, FOV is fixed (and 2K still think that FOV is an “artistic” issue, not a basic mechanics and game design one despite going through this same argument over and over with Bioshock 1 and 2 etc)

Edit: looks like the argument didn’t last so long this time if they’re already working on a patch – now please include it day one next time!

Thankfully we have helpful, resourceful hackers like Dopefish on the widescreengamingforum who is already working on a fix

Dear game designers, please do a little experiment for me: stand 6 feet away from a window, and note how much of the outside world you can see. Now move to about 1 to 2 feet away. You can see more, can’t you? Now stop saddling PC titles with console FOV

• AshEnke says:

Coming in the next patch, as confirmed by a dev on twitter.

• Tei says:

I will not buy this game because of this. Playing games with low fov make me physically ill.

13. Snargelfargen says:

Nice review, but the bit about Tvtropes and two tv shows was baffling since I haven’t seen them, nor have I been to the website.

It made sense at the end of the paragraph though!

• Moe45673 says:

Tons of movies do this. Total Recall, Sucker Punch, Shutter Island come immediately to mind.

• Snargelfargen says:

I understand it as a narrative device, but my issue is that the first half of the paragraph only drops the names of similiar things, without explaining exactly what it is alluding to. It’s normal to establish and define the topic before drawing comparisons, otherwise the ignorant reader is left in the dust, wondering what’s going on.

This is a minor nit-pick. I guess I don’t have the same points of reference as John Walker here :-)

14. nothingfaced says:

On the basis of the demo I convinced myself that I wasn’t going to buy this though I really liked the first one on the old XBox thingy…

Reading this though it seems that steam may be getting some of my coin after all…

15. BoZo says:

How is the FOV!?

LTK says:

I played the demo of this on Gaikai, where the latency emphasised the slightly wonky controls, but the reviews I’ve read so far really make me interested in this game. Will look out for it.

17. Tyshalle says:

How long did it take you to beat the campaign? I heard the average for a decent player is 5 hours. Is that true?

I don’t normally care, but the first one felt like it took at least 4 times that.

• CaspianRoach says:

Took me 5 hours on second hardest difficulty with all collectibles collected. It was super awesome though and I want more!

• Interrobangin says:

My current playtime is 14 hours and I’ve played through it twice, both times on don difficulty and all collectibles (though they’re really not that hard to find).

18. wodin says:

The thought of horrible snakes with teeth coming out of your body puts me off for some reason…not sure why though.

19. DocSeuss says:

The suggestion that shooters are not smart bothers me, because shooters are, without a doubt, second only to strategy games in terms of intelligence required of the player. Everything else is generally simplistic or relies solely on your reactions to succeed.

20. Radiant says:

I hate the ‘is it real or a delusion?’ storylines.

I’m playing a game and I’m being driven to pour countless hours into rescuing a princess I don’t want to then be told that my motivation for rescuing her, for playing the game, is moot.

Why am I playing the game? To grind to the end?
    Congratulations your game is now pointless.

• Tuan says:

I hate to break it to you, but the princess doesn’t exist in any case, so I guess playing all games are pointless for you…

• Radiant says:

*whoosh*

21. RegisteredUser says:

“you walk past room after room of sobbing, abused and violently fucked prostitutes”.

Wait.
    Run that by me again.
    Where is the game where you don’t walk past the rooms, but are in them, again?

As for the actual game, does sound kind of interesting, despite the disappearing bodies and items.
    I don’t suppose anyone has figured out which data file to look into and edit for that kind of thing yet?

neofit says:

You are WotIThinking a console shooter. These are fraught with gamebreakers for many PC players, and I really don’t want to read the whole review to find out about them. IMHO it would be really helpful if you could add a short synopsis of the usual console-itis moments at the end or beginning of the WIT. For instance:

Save system: save anywhere / chapters / save locations / E.Y.E. style “even the devs can’t explain”
    Game length in hours:
    Anti-aliasing: Yes / Can force in driver/ No
    Controls: Precise / Wonky

That’s all I can think of from the top of my head, and anything but the first option in any of them (or short game length) will make me play something else instead. Reading the whole review looking for these gamebreakers is a waste of time, since I don’t care that the game is “smart” or you liked the story or whatever if any of them are present.

• RegisteredUser says:

How about:
      Is there an actual health system somehow or is it regenerating?
      How many chest high walls, obviously signalled enemy encounters are there?
      To what percentage are _ALL_ the things scripted to death instead of truly interactive objects depending on the player?
      How badly crippled is the player’s inventory/carrying capacity, i.e. the idiotic 2-gun-quickswitch instead of inventory logic?
      Do 1-shot-headshots exist? (review at least hinted at it here, e.g.)

Etc..

neofit says:

@RegisteredUser
      Your suggestions are like a whole review already, and these points are not really deal breakers in my book.

• RegisteredUser says:

Having more than 2 guns in a shooter is fairly crucial to me, personally.

• Tirranek says:

I think if technical issues are that important to a PC player, there will be forum discussion readily available to get that information. When I’m reading a WiT I’d rather see critical commentary on the game itself.

• faelnor says:

It is definitely a modern shooter.

Save system: chapters and autosaves after each arena fight.
      Game length in hours: 5 max.
      Anti-aliasing: can force in driver.
      Controls: precise, but unfit to keyboard.
      Health system: 4 regenerating bars + health consumption from enemies. Doesn’t take much to die.
      Chest high walls, obviously signalled enemy encounters: yes and yes. All enemies encounters are absolutely predictable.
      Scripting: everything except combat-related tactics. Also, AI can be surprisingly smart at times.
      Inventory/carrying capacity: 3 different weapons, can be switched in and out at any time.
      Headshots: yes

And yet, modern FPS, but quite enjoyable.

23. Jesse L says:

This review is so world-weary it makes me want to go to bed.

24. Captain Hijinx says:

I really loved this game, it was very well made, 10/10 for presentation, it’s beautifully presented, some really dark themes done well too. The gameplay is amusing enough to keep you going and interested, uber violence galore, if you’re on the fence but want to get it, i’d recommend waiting for a price drop as it is rather short, but definitely something that should be played at some point.

25. Tuan says:

I recommend this game to anyone who likes a difficult shooter. This is really a great game- the story is engaging, the environments are very detailed and go so well with what’s going on. It’s a good mix of shooter + these demon skills.

Anyway, I haven’t sat continuously and really felt like keep playing the same game for a while, so it worked for me.

26. Vurten says:

From what I’ve seen I absolutely adore the pixels, the colours and the arts in this game.

The loading screens with the hard shadows…
    Oh gentle heart harness your outsides with brown shooters and repeated sports games so the play-the-game won’t break you and let me sleep forever among the pretty insides.
    Oh and I would like so very very much to interview this game!

27. Interrobangin says:

I just use a controller for most console ports these days. Especially considering that many of these won’t let me remap my controls to my preferred setting, so I find it easier just to go with a controller. I’m pretty good at aiming with joysticks, anyway. One thing that I like in a game that is optimized for a controller is being able to switch between the two (controller or mouse) on the fly, in case there’s any point where you need more precise aiming. This game lets me do that, so using a controller isn’t a huge downside for bottle shooting mini games or what have you.

28. Shooop says:

I still can’t get over how awful the voice actor for Jackie here is compared to the first.

29. nootpingu86 says:

Yeah, no. The lack of FOV adjustment is an automatic deal-breaker.

• Jnx says:

Exactly.

I’d actually wish that the good folk of RPS would start mentioning if FoV is narrow and if it’s moddable. Your words are the only ones I give a shit about when making purchase decisions so would be nice if I’d also get this piece of information from here.

I get serious nausea and headaches from low fov so I don’t do preorders anymore. Can’t play my Space Marine or RF:A 8[

30. Jamie Dewhirst says:

Well I ploughed through this today. Massively enjoyable from start to finish I thought, with neither a weak or dull moment in sight. The reason I loved it so much though isn’t because of the gameplay (which is great in my opinion, reminds me a lot of Bulletstorm with the myriad of ways you can approach each encounter), but because of two things;

Firstly, the stellar voice work through out. Just consistently great.

Secondly, and most importantly for me, was the narrative and the constant twists and turns. The whole is it real or fantasy thing. The relationship between Jackie and Jenny. The first time you’re in the asylum and you’re recognising all these faces from just moments before when you were back home. I think both Jackie and Jenny are really likeable characters and I found their relationship and connection rather touching. Their scenes in the game are some of the highest points in the game, and they barely involve any gunplay. The ride on the ghost train together was so brilliantly done and I really wish I could say more about the ending. I’ll just say this, hats off to Digital Extremes for having the balls to put that into the hands of the player.

31. ironrafael09 says:

I bought the game through Steam and I must say I really enjoyed it. It’s worth a try if you want to play a different FPS and are willing to spend the money and time on it.