The RPS Bargain Bucket: Longer Subheading Than Usual

By Lewie Procter on February 11th, 2012 at 10:59 am.

In an ancient ritual that dates all the way back to 2009, here’s my weekend deals roundup, with all the best value PC downloads compiled into a convenient list for your consideration. When you’re done reading this, why not pop over to SavyGamer.co.uk and have a scan of the other cheap games available now. You didn’t need that money anyway. Here’s your bucket:

Star Wars Jedi Knight Collection – £3.74/€4.74/$4.99
These are all individually discounted too, so you can get them à la carte if you prefer. Here’s a slice of John’s Eurogamer Dark Forces 2 retrospective:

And by crikey, it’s good. It’s very, very good. It’s so good that you can only look down at the ground, shake your head in confusion, and slowly pen a letter to LucasArts asking them what the hell they were thinking when they abandoned FPS development and handed the reins over to Raven. With this, Dark Forces, and indeed the enormous Mysteries of the Sith expansion, LucasArts demonstrated a rare and brilliant skill with a genre that’s so often so mediocre.

More here.

Plants vs. Zombies – £1.39/€1.99/$1.99
Popcap’s brilliant undead versus platlife tower defence thing. Here’s John’s “Review“:

It’s mindless to compare it to Defence Grid, or your other favourite TD game – it stands on its own as something unique, daft, and special. Once again PopCap have managed to find that place that spans casual mainstream and specialist hardcore audiences. Like Peggle and Bookworm Adventures, Plants Vs Zombies will be loved by your mum as much as your angry brother. Too easy? Yes, definitely. But it’s damned hard to care. There are zombies on your lawn, and they want to eat your brains!

I’d say the (rude!) joke in the description of the garlic plant in the almanac is worth the asking price, never mind the rest of the game.

Hoard, Lume, Soulcaster, Soulcaster II & Zeno Clash – £2.78/€5.23/$4.38 at time of writing
The latest Indie Royale bundle is quite good, I reckon. There’s the PC debut of previous XBLIG only Soulcaster I & II, bonkers first person punch ‘em up Zeno Clash, Walker adored first person pointy clicker Lume, and Hoard, which I’ve not played, but I know a man who has. All for the price of whatever the price is at the moment, and if you pay more than the minimum you get a download of RPS chums/rivals One Life Left’s recent compilation album “Music To Play Games By Too”. This bundle is valentines day themed, but valentines day is bullshit.
Disclaimer: I work for Indie Royale/IndieGames.com.

Batman: Arkham City – £15
Like with many Origin deals, I can’t be sure of the regional availability of this. All I do know is that it’s a rather good price for Rocksteady’s brilliant bat-sequel. How come there’s no link, you ask? Well this offer is only bat-available via the Origin client. Any customers with the audacity to buy this from the Origin website instead of the client will be charged an extra £9.99. Poor form EA, poor form indeed. Here’s Wot Adam thought of Arkham City, ignore his quibbles about DX11 at the end though, they’ve been bat-fixed now, at least for me.

Deal of the week
15% Off all purchases from GamersGate forever and ever and ever*
Full instructions over at SavyGamer, but the upshot is that if you register for an IGN Prime account (their paid subscription service) you get given a code for 15% off anything you buy at GamersGate. However, since you can register for a free IGN Prime trial, grab the code for 15% off at GamersGate, then end your IGN Prime free trial before they even take a penny of your money, this is a bit of an amazing offer. The 15% off discount doesn’t seem to have any restrictions, it works on preorders, new releases and special offers. It doesn’t even expire after you’ve used it once, all the marketing material suggests that this discount applies for “life”. I’m not sure of the grisly details, but presumably GamersGate are fairly compensated by IGN for this promotion. They’re also dishing out free games, I got King Arthur: The Role Playing Game and Rochard Steam keys when I registered the other day.
*Well, it says it’s for life, so I guess you’ll not be offered posthumous discounts.

Topware Promo at GOG.com
Koya Rift – £1.25/$1.99
Gotham City Impostors – £9.19. Apply coupon “pcgamer20″. Not sure of other regions prices or availability here.

More cheap gaming can always be found over at SavyGamer.co.uk.

Sponsored links by Taboola

Andy_Panthro says:

IGN doesn’t seem to like my email address. Works if I put in a fake one though. I certainly haven’t registered for IGN prime before, so I don’t know why it won’t work.

• Lewie Procter says:

Yeah, a few people have said they’ve had trouble with emails. I’m not sure exactly what is going on: It worked for me no problems.

Andy_Panthro says:

Shame really, I wouldn’t mind getting that 15% gamersgate discount (although it doesn’t mention that on the sign-up page, as far as I could see)

• mihor_fego says:

The system is a bit picky. I couldn’t get my existing IGN account to register for Prime, but I had to use a different e-mail and create a whole new account for it.

Still worth the trouble for the 2 games, the discount code and a Tera closed beta key.

Thing is, the list of features for subscribing is really good and I might have kept the sub if I could get it on my real account…

• MondSemmel says:

Some people have speculated that there might be an issue if you already registered on one of the sites like ign.com, fileplanet.com etc. which are somehow linked.
      If you use gmail but don’t have several email addresses to create an extra account because your original address doesn’t work, you can use this trick: http://gmailblog.blogspot.com/2008/03/2-hidden-ways-to-get-more-from-your.html
      That’s an easy way to have infinite email addresses.

But yeah, getting free games for registering to a Trial service is already an excellent deal, even if for some reason the Gamersgate discount ends up not being for life etc. Just don’t forget to unsubscribe immediately if you aren’t interested in using the service longer…

• Jimbo says:

Worked ok for me. I pre-ordered Mass Effect 3.

I kinda suspect they’ll find some way to get out of this life discount thing, right? Right.

• rtk79 says:

Being “European” I’ve found that discount only applies to the meager and very underwhelming offers on gamersgate.com.
      Oh well, thank god for “autorenew off”.

• lordcooper says:

It seems to dislike periods.

stuff.stuff@gmail.com doesn’t work, but stuffstuff@gmail.com does.

• SiHy_ says:

That site is beyond annoying. I’ve somehow registered my email address but since at no time did it ask me to input a password I don’t have one! This is totally not worth it.
      EDIT: Can’t log out, can’t log fully in, it’s the worst website I’ve ever had the misfortune of attempting to deal with, I’ve got a headache, I’m out. Fuck the free games and discount. Fuck ‘em I say!

• Donkeyfumbler says:

I thought signing up with a new account and a new email address would do the job, but I made the mistake of using the same username I obviously had on an old account and now although I can log in to the IGN Prime Hub, when I try to get to any of the content it asks me to log in again and tells me my details are now wrong :(

• Bhazor says:

IGN don’t send a validation email so you can just use a mailinator address or make one up. The you can get your coupon codes and cancel your renewal without needing to check your email.

James G says:

Also had trouble with my various existing IGN accounts, so just created a new one. Got the discount going through, and switched my ME3 order to Gamersgate from Coolshop, only saved a few pence but I look on it as the equivalent of pinching myself.

Turned off auto renew, but if they have offers like this every month it might be worth it.

• SiHy_ says:

The main problem I’m having is that I can’t log out! I’ve never had that problem with a website before. Grrrr!

Smashbox says:

@mond semmel: what an incredibly useful link- thanks!

Vandelay says:

The login seems to be borked. I couldn’t login to an old account and the send button on the “forgot your password?” screen did nothing. I created a new account and was logged straight into the main site, but for some reason I have to login again when trying to claim the code. Here it won’t take the password I’ve just created. I’ve tried to logout completely and start again, but the password isn’t working here either. Trying the “forgot your password?” link gives me this message:

LOST YOUR PASSWORD?
      We have temporarily disabled Password Recovery while we transition to a new login and registration system. We apologize for the inconvenience.

If you need help accessing your account, please contact Customer Service.

Faldrath says:

They might have caught up with the trick. When I tried to redeem the code, I got the following message:

“Game Key Processing
      Your key request cannot be completed at this time. It has been placed on hold in an effort to minimize key farming. It will be released automatically when we have reviewed your request. If you feel this is in error, please contact Customer Support. “

• smeghamr says:

Seems the giving out of keys or anything is on hold, every time i try i get a thing about fileplanet trying to stop key farming.

• Donkeyfumbler says:

It now appears to work OK for me. I logged out of all possible IGN/Fileplanet/Gamespy sites, cleared my cookies and then managed to log in to fileplanet with the new account.

Managed to redeem the GG code already and have Rochard now on Steam (already had King Arthur). Hope the GG code keeps working, but it’s worth it for the free game even if it doesn’t. Thanks Lewie :)

• sopabuena says:

Anyone that already has Rochard can spare an extra key? The game looks really interesting but I don’t currently have a credit card to perform this trick. My mail is tquinta(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

• SkittleDiddler says:

Not working for me either. I’ve tried logging in with my Yahoo and Gmail accounts, I’ve tried logging in with my current IGN account, and I’ve tried creating a new account. Nothing works.

Screw this, it’s not worth the headaches. IGN can suck a big fat dingdong.

EDIT: finally got it to work by using my spam-only Hotmail address. IGN can still suck a big fat dingdong though – the whole process so far has been a huge pain.

• Koozer says:

Worked for me just now, using a dummy gmail account. It didn’t like my real one for some reason…

Thermal Ions says:

Wouldn’t accept c/card (just kept refreshing the page and removing the details), so went with paypal which worked. On attempting to download free game / redeem Gamersgate code it wanted to log into Fileplanet, which continually errored with wrong password message. Figured I’d log right out clear cache / cookies and try again. Now I can’t even log into IGN and password reset is disabled “while we transition to a new login and registration system”.

I’m glad I disabled auto renew straight away before logging out.

Vandelay says:

Still in the same boat as yesterday (which is the same thing Thermal Ions is getting.) As the login system does seem to be working for others, it might just be that we actually are typing the password in wrongly. As they idiotically do not make you enter the password in twice during the signup process, the possibility of a mistype means the password could be absolutely anything. Hopefully, they will get their password recovery system back online before the trail period expires.

Edit: Anyone still having issues, I created a new account using a temporary e-mail address from Guerilla, as suggested above. Seems the issue is something to do with creating multiple accounts with the same e-mail address.

2. kurtensen says:

Does anyone recommend Koya Rift to me? I can’t really understand what’s happening in the screenshots posted in its official Desura page, but the description looks rather interesting

• Lewie Procter says:

There’s a demo here:

Not got round to trying it yet, but I agree it’s an interesting concept.

• trjp says:

The demo is pretty short and basic but if nothing else it WILL make your head hurt :)

• kurtensen says:

Agree. I tried it, and while still attracted to the idea, I find the execution a bit meh. The camera is too close to the character to know what is going on, there’s constant camera shaking, and those bright colors…oh.

Thanks anyways

• SunnyKatt says:

Developer here. The feel of the game isn’t for everyone. That’s why I made a demo to test it out and see if they like the combat and movement. A couple of things to note: the screen shake AND zoom level can both be changed in the settings.txt file. If those are the main things bothering you, I’d recommend changing them in the file (turning off the shake, lowering the zoom a bit) in the demo and seeing if that improves your playing experience. If not, that’s fine, the game isn’t for you.

The learning curve is pretty steep. That wasn’t intentional, and I get plenty of feedback from people that had no clue what they were doing for a while, especially when they got to the campaign. Something to remedy in a future update, I guess.

If you’re looking for lots of feedback on the game, there’s lots of comments (600+) on a reddit thread about the game here: http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/pc0jt/i_decided_to_put_my_game_on_sale_for_75_off_199/

I hope I helped!

-Zach

• trjp says:

I thought the demo was interesting but slightly odd in that it tells you loads about energy types and enemy strategies and stuff like that (which you can do without, at least at the begining) but it fails to tell you what the main aim of the game is, how the currency/turrets etc. work and so on.

If you like the idea of “Spelunky with many many guns” it’s probably worth giving it a whirl tho – production values are high and sheer mentalism appears be in enshrined at a fundamental level :)

• Frank says:

@SunnyKatt: I set the zoom ratio to .5 in the demo and disabled the shake. It worked the first play-through (with a big performance hit) and on the second, it halved the zoom *again* (with a huge performance improvement, like 50% too fast). Maybe this needs more testing, or maybe that demo’s out of date.

It might just not be for me, but I also think the on-screen information could be better. The colors are not intuitive nor taught in-game (apparently, based on the demo), and the feedback from hitting enemies is pretty cloudy (it seems that there’s a hitbeep, but I can’t tell if one of those flying heads is dead already if it’s still flying towards me).

• SunnyKatt says:

@frank – That’s a weird issue. Thanks for the info, I’ll look into it. I didn’t do too much testing with the zoom option because most people don’t need it.

Hodge says:

That GamersGate one is so good that I’m actually holding off for fear of feeling guilty every time I buy something from them.

Llewyn says:

I sort of agree, but I look on it as something which might cause me to buy things from them more often than I otherwise would, so it’s hopefully a win all round.

4. Jimbo says:

King Arthur Steam Key (I already have it): ECMZY-9Y8HW-QMQ29

5. Useyourname says:

To anyone considering the IGN 7 day trial:

Subscribers: For your convenience all subscriptions renew automatically to IGN subscription services. You will be billed again 5 days before your current service period ends to avoid loss of use. You must cancel your current subscription prior to this to avoid billing for the next period.

So you’ll want to change your renewal settings.

• thebigJ_A says:

So, it’s really a TWO day free trial. Sneaky jerks.

Well, I got Rochard and King Arthur for free from them, and the Gamersgate coupon thing, and cancelled. So, I guess I win a little, for once.

Llewyn says:

Actually, they’re not this evil. I just checked my trial account settings. I signed up yesterday (10/2) and it says that my account expires on 22/2 and my next billing will be on 17/2. So they’re sort of giving you a 12 day trial, but billing you 5 days before the end of it to give you 7 genuinely free.

• Post-Internet Syndrome says:

Well I’ll be.

6. InternetBatman says:

Well, that was an absurdly easy way to get a free copy of Rochard, King Arthur, and 15% off. I know customer information is valuable, but I still don’t get how it’s worth it for them. I guess it’s from people forgetting to turn off autorenew.

• iniudan says:

Thus why I used one of my junk email and went through paypal (that way IGN don’t get my credit card info) and my paypal credit card is a low limit credit card anyway, so even if get hacked I don’t risk that much.

• Eclipse says:

It was so easy I feel a bit like I stole something <.<

*goes to play his brand new King Arthur*

• InternetBatman says:

I did paypal too for the exact same reasons.

• Vinraith says:

If you ever bought anything at Direct2Drive the point is kind of moot, as they already had your details.

• malkav11 says:

My suspicion is that they never thought about people signing up just long enough to get the free codes / discount at Gamersgate and didn’t take the appropriate steps to make you actually subscribe for that stuff. I expect that this will soon be remedied. Which would be a bit of a pity, but oh well. Two free games is a decent enough haul. I’d never actually sign up for IGN again. Can’t stand those sites.

• Randomer says:

Does anyone know if IGN gives away free* games like this everyone month?

*free to people who pay for IGN prime

7. Blackcompany says:

Be ever vigilant, internet. America’s idiot politicians are at it again. Trying to slip SOPA into another bill on the sly:
    I remember when I loved my country…

8. Ysellian says:

That IGN thing seems too good to be true :/

• Vinraith says:

It surely is. I expect “for life” will be translated into “for the life of your Prime subscription” in short order.

• Squirrelfanatic says:

Let’s wait and see.

9. Jumwa says:

It worked! Huzzah! Thanks for that, you’re a great fellow.

Though IGN rejected all four of my usual array of emails, including my work email (just for a laugh) which I’ve never given out to anyone but work associates and clients. I had to create a new email (aptly entitled “stupidign”) before it accepted me as a member.

Even if the 15% off thing doesn’t work after the trial expires, two free games were about worth the hassle.

10. Post-Internet Syndrome says:

Gamersgate thing worked for me too, though I had to remove the dot from my email adress (gmail). King Arthur and that Rochard thingy now sits secure on my steam account. We’ll see how long the lifetime discount lasts but as said two free games is worth the hassle.

• Gaytard Fondue says:

Well, I can’t create a Gamersgate account. Got gmail too but they don’t tell me what’s wrong.

• Post-Internet Syndrome says:

I already had a gamersgate account so I don’t know if the troubles are related. I just went through the ign thing and input my discunt code into my existing gamersgate account.

11. BooleanBob says:

I’m glad someone else picked up on that Garlic stealth-filthiness in PVZ. I was beginning to think it was all innocence, and that there was something seriously wrong with me.

There probably is something wrong with me, of course, but still – comforting.

12. gganate says:

Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2 was my favorite game for many years before Lucas ruined Star Wars. It’s enormous, cavernous levels and dark atmosphere were excellent. It’s sequels did force powers and light sabers better, but they were unable to captivate me like Dark Forces. I would love a remake with a modern graphics engine.

• bill says:

Could not agree more.

• Skabooga says:

When I saw the Jedi Knight sale, I just had a automated reflex response and bought the bundle before my brain knew what was happening. Never owned any of them, but I’ve played a few of them, and they were certainly quite fun.

13. Wut The Melon says:

Origin needs to work on this regional thing, Arkham City is full price in the Netherlands. Then again, it’s €20-25 at some retailers currently, and I believe Origin allows you to register any EA games newer than 2010, so we can still get it for a fair price. But it would be nice to get some fair prices on Origin for non-US gamers too… I have been waiting for over a year for ME2 DLC discounts but got nothing so far.

Thermal Ions says:

Not sure what the deal is, but Arkham City doesn’t show on the Origin site in Australia. Maybe it’ll show in the client, but I’m not inclined to install it just to see.

14. Tams80 says:

Knights and Merchants! O my goodness that brings back memories! I used to suck at it, but eventually got somewhere; until I got stuck again.

Are any of the other Topware games worth getting?

Is Ground Control 2 any good?

• Heliocentric says:

On Ground control. It’s genuinely good bit some of the missions are ridiculously based on needing to know what happens next, so don’t worry if you fail your first play of a level. It’s story is not as good as ground control 1 and the micromanagement of abilities is increased bit not as far as WiC eventually took it.

Worth the asking price certainly.

• sinister agent says:

I love gog, so this isn’t a whine, but Ground Control was released for free a few years ago. Download away.

15. Moraven says:

Bastion half off at Impulse.

Dawn of Fantasy, some MMORTS is 75%f off. Anyone played it?

Rikard Peterson says:

So I finally bought Plants vs. Zombies, and found that it’s a lot of fun. I suppose I shouldn’t be surprised, considering its vast popularity, and John’s review, but…

Rikard Peterson says:

The downside of that was that I suddenly realised that it was past 3 am, and I had no idea that so much time had passed. I didn’t get that much sleep last night.

17. wodin says:

Ohh…thanks for the free games IGN. I was looking at King Arthur a moth or so ago aswell!!

Plus 15% off GG for life!!! my oh my..

wengart says:

The Darkness II is 24% off so 38$ total at Green Man Gaming

Registers on Steam.

19. killbilly says:

The Jedi Knight collection still shows as $19.99 for me.

20. Campaigner says:

I did the weekly deal and now I just hope they don’t charge my card anyway.

Thanks for the tip!

21. CMaster says:

Just got a mail saying that my brand new GamersGate account had been locked and all my (non existent so far) serial keys disabled.

Anyone else?