Found Firefall Footage

By Craig Pearson on February 13th, 2012 at 2:20 pm.

Who brings a giant, armoured tripod thing to a gun fight? Cheaters, that's who.
Here’s a sneaky way to get a hold of a lot of Firefall footage. Developers Red 5 Studios are hosting a competition for their fans, asking them to create a trailer from unreleased footage of the free-to-play shooter. So while you can totally get involved and whip out Windows Movie Maker templates, if all you’re interested in is watching 10 second clips of the game, all you need to do is download the files and have a peek.

The contest is open until March 16th, and the main prize is a trip to PAX East for two people, so maybe the footage will inspire you all the way to Boston. If not, at least let it inspire you to eating toast and signing up for the beta. And here’s a class trailer that you should consider as a template if you do enter.

, , , , .

1. Finkster says:

I know all they have in common is jetpacks and being free to play but Tribes: Ascend has really sucked away all my initial enthusiasm for this title.

• Vorrin says:

heh, funny, quite the opposite for me, I tried tribes ascend, and really didn’t like it, so I’m looking forward to this one even more.

• Gurrah says:

The only thing I really don’t like about Tribes are the enormous amounts of XP you need to unlock classes and equipment.

• Schiraman says:

Planetside 2 being announced sucked away all my enthusiasm for either ;)

• ThTa says:

Likewise, but I do feel they’re quite different games, so they may very well be able to coexist.

That said, with my limited spare time, Tribes: Ascend has taken up virtually all of it, along with the fact that Hi-Rez actually listens to their community and use their beta test as a proper beta test, making me even more involved.

• Finkster says:

@ThTa Their response to community feedback is one of the main factors that drew me to Tribes, I hope that this is a common feature in F2P titles and that we’ move towards more of a “games as service” deal, as now with the F2P model it’s actually in the developers interest to continue improving their title and providing new content, unlike something like Brink or BF3 where a couple of token patches are thrown out initially then the dev teams move on to the next title despite the original still being broken.

• tstapp1026 says:

@Gurrah Have you checked out Tribes recently? Keep in mind it is in closed Beta, and as such they have made drastic changes in the requirements needed to unlock suits and gear. I have all the suits unlocked through the use of Tribes Gold (given to me for purching the game early) and I can unlock weapons and weapon upgrades after almost every match. For the most part the Tribes f2p model is corrected in such a way that it doesn’t hinder casual players any more.

• Gurrah says:

@tstapp1026

Drastic changes I’ll say, 100k XP for a weapon is just a joke when you earn 500 per game on average. Grinding in a Beta is just not something I want to do because there’ll always be a wipe at the end and it’ll be just wasted time.

• ThTa says:

Gurrah, there won’t be a wipe at the end, this is something they’ve stated numerous times now.

And while I agree that 100K XP for the weapons is absolutely insane, even as someone who’s boosted, they’ve shown to be extremely receptive, so they might change that. (They lowered it from 170K, mind you)

• Aradalf says:

Quite the same with me. Tribes: Ascend has lately been taking up much of my spare time. It’s simply an amazing game, though weapon prices are still too high in my opinion. Still, Hi-Rez has shown to be extremely receptive, and they’ve already lowered prices multiple times.

I think that another way for them to make money would be useful, as then they could lower prices on weapons. Skins coming out could possibly help, though I still hold out hope for custom loadouts. In fact, by selling additional custom loadout slots on top of a base amount(say 3-5), they could make tons of money, without reducing the game to pay2win.

• Premium User Badge joeymcjoeysalot says:

I’ll play Tribes because it wasn’t written by a bigot.

2. Jedimus says:

Does this still not allow you to join the beta without an invite from a friend already in?

I’d like to check it out but don’t have the time to schmooze a beta key out of people who don’t know me…

• Gurrah says:

I had no trouble getting in. I entered my application on a Friday and had the key on Tuesday.

• Aradalf says:

@Gurrah

Well then you’re lucky. The rollout is extremely slow, and I’ve been signed up for the beta for months now without an invite.

3. Jahnz says:

If anyone has any extra beta keys for this I’ll take one. I have been salivating over this game since I first saw mention of it. I have the Tribes beta, and it is fun, but this will offer the PvE that I really want. I suck at competitive games. I just want to blast some AI and fly around.

4. Tei says:

To be honest, I am not interested in “battlegrounds” of any type. BG’s in a mmo is what you do wen you are *really* bored. Even in Global Agenda was something you don’t do continuisly, because you get paired with dumb humans, and you need to relax. I hope MP is not the main pull of this game, I am looking forward for some coop action, I hope is there somewhere on the game :-/

• jp0249107 says:

There isn’t much info about that coming out right now because the beta testers are under NDA.