Combat Wings: Great Battles Of WWII Is Pretty

By John Walker on February 15th, 2012 at 3:56 pm.

RATATATATATATATATTTAAAAT!

Shine the Tim Stone light onto the clouds! (It’s the shape of a tank with wings.) The sequel to 2009′s Combat Wings: Battle Of Britain, this time expanding to Combat Wings: The Great Battles Of World War II (maybe it’s just me, but I didn’t think the battles were that great) has a fancy new trailer, and ten completely gorgeous screenshots. It’s out in March, and it appeals to my eyes.

See, this is what MS Flight is missing:

The game is looking to focus on a compromise between simulation and arcade fun, with options to switch from steering-assisted fun-times, to hardcore simulation for nutcases. The missions are also going to be larger than the norm for an arcade combat game, instead opting for checkpoints throughout, meaning those who are less expert won’t become frustrated by repeating the same section again and again. And of course, the hardcore can just restart. Which sounds ideal to me.

Now have some scrummy explodey screenshots.

I properly want to have a play of this.

, , , .

1. Tyrmot says:

Now I do too…!

2. Raiyan 1.0 says:

Push propellers for life!

3. Ross Angus says:

Is it true that the Supermarine Spitfire could fly underwater, just like in Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow?

• John Walker says:

Every single bit of Sky Captain And The World Of Tomorrow was true.

• LennyLeonardo says:

Yes. It was a documantary. Michael Moore, I think.

• Zeewolf says:

That’s why it was called _Supermarine_ Spitfire. It’s like a submarine only super. Meaning it can fly too.

• westyfield says:

Sky Captain flew a Kittyhawk, but Spitfires can go underwater as well, as can every other plane.

• Raiyan 1.0 says:

It is indeed possible for all aircrafts to go underwater.

Getting out, on the other hand, is an entirely different matter…

• Ross Angus says:

Thanks. It’s nice to have a bit of The Flare Path expertise in the middle of the week.

4. Memph says:

How was the original? I’d really like a nice air combat game as one much enjoys jets in BF3. It would be nice though to go up diddly up, without stingers, SOFLAMs, choppers and other pilots better than me constantly trying to diddle my attempts at diddlying myself.

I tried the demo of Wings of Prey recently, but I quit when discovering I coudn’t map barely a third of the controls to my joypad. Ace Combat, Colony Wars, Wings are all more my thing. More Maccy D’s than dinner at the Ritz to flight sim-enthusiasts with obelisk-sized joysticks sporting more buttons than a Victorian costume drama maybe, but that’s not how I like to barrel-roll.
    Will I want to play this?

• Sheng-ji says:

It was fun and arcady, I think it’s worth further research for you :)

5. x1mrawesome1x says:

Just want to point out…Birds of Steel comes out next month as well. PS3 Plus members get that sweet extended trailer in this months Qore. I got burned a little bit by the last Combat Wings’ shortcomings and I’m considering skipping this Wings game and giving Birds of Steel a shot instead.

6. patofnickof says:

Hummmm time to get my joystick out of the closet!!!

7. Kevin says:

Said tank with wings comes in the shape of the Il-2 Sturmovik, F6F Hellcat, or the A-10 Warthog.

8. buzzmong says:

Tempting, but I need to know more about the controls.

If I can control pitch, roll and yaw seperately (ala Crimson Skies), then I’m sold. Which I might judging by the article.

If however, I’m forced into pressing “left” and having the plane roll, pitch and yaw for me, then no dice as I loathe that control method. I can quite easily handle 3 axis at once.

9. tigershuffle says:

looks ‘pretty’ but what screenies dont nowadays ;)
    the video is very nice :D

just a heads up but Gaijin have renamed their take on WW2 mmo flightything from plane old World of Planes to War Thunder:World of Planes……..now it sounds far more manly.
    (valiant attempt to not get mixed up with World of Tanks devs World of Warplanes)

Anyhoo for prettier screens and pre-alpha videos …… http://worldofplanesgame.com/

very nice video ….. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5N1pxOdHBs

10. RakeShark says:

Speaking of Spitfires, I’m surprised no-one’s attempting a proper “SPITFIRES IN SPAAAAACE!” since Doctor Who pulled that on us.

11. kizza42 says:

The sim junky in me is cringing how all those planes are flying with half wings and how when their wings are blown off they’re still flying straight.

Its soo pretty though, I gots to buy it!

• max pain says:

After playing Sturmovik, I don’t settle for nothing less simulation-wise. Graphics are secondary.