NEARLY FINISHED HIM! Street Fighter X Tekken PC Date

By John Walker on February 15th, 2012 at 9:59 am.

Well that's not very gentlemanly.

Capcom’s on-again-off-again romance with the PC seems to be firmly set to ON at the moment. Not only is Resident Evil 6 slated for a PC release this November, but Street Fighter X Tekken is set for PC in May. 11th May to be precise. That’s a strange two months later than the console release, but it’s still an interesting release for a platform that isn’t exactly overwhelmed by ‘fighting’ games. We’ve got the five new PC screenshots below.

The ludicrously titled game is fairly obviously a crossover of Soul Calibur and Dead Or Alive… aha! I made a joke. It in fact has 38 characters from the titular games, and will apparently be the “ultimate tag team match up”.

I guess I don’t know much about whether the PC has all the appropriate peripherals for this genre. Although I figure mapping the 2390453 different moves to a keyboard would bring button mashing techniques to a whole new level. Anyhow, here’s how the game’s looking in our department:

I reference Mortal Kombat only to make people like Leo Tan’s heads explode.

, , , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. MSJ says:

If I’m getting this game, it has to be for the PS3. Unless they make the PS3-exclusive Mega Man into a DLC, of course.

• Gnoupi says:

Are we talking about the big “realistic” Mega Man?
      Not really a selling point for me. But I guess it’s a matter of taste.

I don’t really understand the direction they took, though. The PAC-MAN addition is more cartoony, so why they chose to make a realistic version of Mega Man, taken right from a game cover from the late 80’s?

• MSJ says:

Yes, him.

• Gnoupi says:

Are we talking about the big “realistic” Mega Man?
      Not really a selling point for me. But I guess it’s a matter of taste.

(sorry, I put two links and it went into “moderation”. This was before MSJ’s answer)

• MSJ says:

It was really meant as a joke character, before Mega Man Legends 3 (where the character would also be present) game got cancelled.

• Ringwraith says:

He should, as he’s Capcom’s company cameo rather than a console-exclusive cameo (like inFamous’ Cole for some weird reason).
      It’s still a genius move on their part, and even though I’ve never played a Mega Man game, I know a Mega Man fan who agrees.

2. Strutter says:

would it be naive of me to expect no gfwl and no drm like in Street fighter IV pc?

• _PixelNinja says:

I’m certainly hoping –but not expecting– the game to release without GFWL. I’ve always wanted to get Street Fighter for the PC, but I will not purchase any game with Microsoft’s gawful DRM.

• Milky1985 says:

I think its unlikely to be DRM free since if its not GFWL (as a discalimer btw a system i have no issues with, never had any problems with it) it will be steam.

I don’t think they will go the witcher route tbh

• pkt-zer0 says:

“Steam” and “no DRM” are not mutually exclusive, there’s a couple of indie games that went that route (Super Meat Boy, Defense Grid, probably others I haven’t actually tested)

• Milky1985 says:

Except that to a very basic degree steam IS drm, you must be online to register the product and download it/register to your computer. The games you mentioned also have steam achivements and as such must be steamworks :P Again I have no issue at all with steam (i think i’m the only person who has never had an offline mode issue :P) but steams in itself is drm, I think its a very well done (besides a couple of minor quibbles) and feature filled program to warp the drm up in but is drm.

And lets be honest here, this is capcom, there is as much chance of them releasing this DRM free as there is of Activision annoucing that they have realised COD is becoming boring and linear and that they are shaking things up by turning it into a point and click adventure game.

Come to think of it it basically already is!

• pkt-zer0 says:

Yeah, my point was that you can even have Steamworks features and still run fine without Steam/a net connection/whatever. Sure, you need to log in to Steam to download the game once, but using that definition GOG.com would also have “DRM”, which is just nonsense.

• Khemm says:

@Strutter
      But… but SF4 had a disc-check and GFWL.
      Super SF4 AE on PC also had GFWL and just a simple one-time activation/date check, which took literally ONE second – compare that to Steam’s “activation” taking HOURS.

GFWL as a DRM is a non-issue, many GFWL games don’t even force you to go online, ever – you can create an offline profile right away, like in Batman Arkham City.

• battles_atlas says:

Get back in your IHATEVALVE box Khemm. Nothing on GWFL takes ‘literally one second’, because the whole service is hosted by a single ZX spectrum somewhere in 1989. I’ve never managed to login to GWFL in less than ten seconds, not going to get into how long it takes to download an update, how many restarts its demands, how little it brings to the experience other than some shitty xbox UI.

• Ringwraith says:

Steam authentication takes hours? I’ve entered plenty of Steam keys and they unlock games right away…

Also, the major problem I think people have with Games for Winarrrgh is that it often doesn’t work, and likes to insist on encrypting your save files, meaning you lose access to them if you attempt to change computer or whatever hardware it’s using to encrypt them. Not to mention there were many cases of it deleting people’s saves files on Arkham City…

• Milky1985 says:

“Not to mention there were many cases of it deleting people’s saves files on Arkham City… ”

That I believe was actually Arkham city, might have been related to GFWL but main fault with rocksteady? It was patched with a patch to Arkham city I believe, NOT a patch to gfwl (and I believe the consoles had it, definitly the xbox from reports but not sure about the PS3, could be them using the API wrong) indiciating where the problem was

Basically they screwed up something but everyone targeted the wrong thing :P

• Ringwraith says:

Oh, my mistake then. Seeing as I don’t own the game it’s not something I’ve been following much.
      Then again, when you encrypt the save files, it’s easy enough to assume something went wrong with it there.

3. Snids says:

Poison is so hot. Also, this game has Poison in it. From Final Fight.

• Metonymy says:

Yes that character is certainly compelling, isn’t it.

• _PixelNinja says:

Giggity giggity~

• Milky1985 says:

You might get a bit of a surprise if you go Giggity that….

• LuciusAxelrod says:

I see where you were going with that comment, Metonymy, and it is actually very immature, ignorant, and offensive.

• Optimaximal says:

If the original intent for Poison still applies, that picture is VERY gentlemanly…

• _PixelNinja says:

@Milky — I’m very much aware about the back-story to Poison being a transsexual. However, in my view that remains means the developers employed to get around the hitting girls in video games issue/publicity to entice interest in the character. To me, she is a girl. But all in all it’s just a video game.

• DickSocrates says:

You have to ask yourself sometimes “What’s the point of seeing a ‘female’ prostitute if they *don’t* have male genitals?”

• Milky1985 says:

@_PixelNinja

Hey , whatever floats your boat. Each to their own, tis a free country.

Just throwing a warning in case the story wasn’t known :P

• Vagrant says:

It’s a 3d model. With clothes rendered. I doubt it has genitals of either type. It’s not like he’s getting excited over KayoPolice.

• rabitjunk says:

@LuciusAxelrod

And why pray tell is it so unforgivably offensive? I’m not quite sure what you’re picking at (aside from looking to be offended), considering the vagueness of the original comment, but I’m guessing that you’re conflating “immaturity, ignorance and offensiveness” with, “not agreeing with my opinion”.

4. Kdansky says:

It will use the same crappy engine port as SF4, I gather? Which only ever bothers to use 500 MB of RAM, is horribly slow, has huge loading times and on top of that comes with GFWL?

• Khemm says:

Wait, what? SF4 rocked, it was one of the best ports I’ve ever played, the performance even on slow machines was amazing. How can you honestly call it a crappy engine?

• pkt-zer0 says:

While SF4 ran perfectly fine for me on the highest settings (without AA, though), SSF4AE stutters even on the lowest settings. That’s kind of annoying.

Newblade says:

I’ve got a cheap arcade stick that works wonders in SSF4:AE so yes, there are appropriate peripherals.

6. Metonymy says:

The decision to release is probably based on either money math, or the quality of the guys they assign to port the code.

Nevertheless, I’d really like to know the full logic behind this decision. I’m of the opinion that even a 100% piracy rate is still goof for the game, since it gives intelligent users a chance to try the game before they get a console version or a netplay-capable version.

7. Ultra Superior says:

I find those characters two-dimensional.

8. Snids says:

Oh I see there are lots of FF characters in SF nowadays. I lost track after SSF3TCE” or whatever.

9. CKScientist says:

Why is that fat man so fat?

10. Snids says:

I like the T-Rex in the first shot. I hope he’s the announcer or something.

• Droopy The Dog says:

My money’s on the velociraptor with boxing gloves.

It’s amazing how they could hide something so awesome in plain sight and I almost missed it.

• Snids says:

Always put your money on the Velociraptor in boxing gloves.

• Chris D says:

@Snids

Unless it’s fighting a velociraptor without boxing gloves, surely.

11. CaspianRoach says:

Is that gaben on the first screenshot?

• qd says:

I was just about to say that!

“Blue jeans, red polo shirt, medium length hair… Gabe Newell?”

• Kollega says:

That was my thought as well. I want a fighting game with Gabe Newell in it now, it would be awesome.

• _PixelNinja says:

Oh thank you very much for delaying Half Life 3 even more guys!

12. mentor07825 says:

I’m sure my Xbox360 controller will work just fine for this on the PC.

• RogB says:

you’d be much better off with a cheap fightstick (or even keyboard), the x360 dpad is rubbish :(

(plus 6 button fighters tend to feel really awkward when using shoulder buttons imo)

13. Milky1985 says:

Is it just me or do the backgrounds look basically the same as SF4? The one with the T-Rex looks like the jungle from SF4 to me :/

14. smoke.tetsu says:

You can hook up just about any USB controller to the PC including the best kind of controller for this… FIGHTING STICKS!

• HilariousCow says:

I built myself a “Hit Box” (with a dead Xbox 360 and some sanwa buttons of varying sizes) which is a sort of a derivation of keyboard controls. It’s an arcade stick, but without the stick.

You can get similar effect on PC, if you don’t want to fork out for a stick, by binding your “up” key to space. This can result in less finger fumbling between W and S (or up and down) for your direciton input.

Like anything it takes some getting used to but the hitbox, or keyboard, can actually result in cleaner, more intentional inputs than a stick, because there’s no need to physically move out of one direction into another one. If you’re pressing left, you can instantly press right on a keyboard, without even releasing left.

Unfortunately, I’ve been learning stick to long to really want to power into hitboxes… but if I had to start again, I might have done it.

• RogB says:

tempted to make a Hitbox myself, although after years of playing MAME on a keyboard and using arrows + ASD/ZXC i’d have to have the movement keys on the right. (and get used to that shared jump wierdness)
      I’m probably still better on keys than i am on a fightstick.

I enjoy the irony of joystick players laughing at keyboard players for not using a stick, and then when the hitbox comes out all of a sudden people are saying ‘its better than a joystick!’
      its essentially… a keyboard.
      still. whatever works for people. I think i’ll give it a go soon

15. pakoito says:

This is not UMvC3 but I’d still tap it.

For newcomers: novelty in this game is a gem system, where you pay for power. With microtransactions you get gems that can be socketed in your character for additional power or additional skills. Imagine a fast Zangief? Parry? Autoguard? Airguard? well you can get them…if you pay.

• RogB says:

i was so close to ordering UMvC3 but looking at tourney videos it just looks TOO mental.

This however looks like a quirky middle ground between the traditional 1 on 1’s and the outright lunacy of UMvC3 so I might just hold off and wait for this. (never liked the tekken characters much though)

and the pay2win gem thing seems to be getting a bit of a backlash from the fighting community so I wouldnt be surprised if it was toned down a bit before launch. (and I think they said there’d be a way to disable them for tournaments?)

• Radiant says:

@RogB I keep saying this but no one not even the players know what is going on in marvel!

• Milky1985 says:

I beleive in multiplayer there is basically a gemed matchmaking and non gemed matchmaking. And in private matchs you can make the rules anyway.

16. Radiant says:

This game is really quite fun.
    There is a WONDERFUL mode in this where 4 friends each take control of a character in a 2 vs 2 tag team.

It’s the closest I’ve come to fulfilling my childhood dream of actual WWF tag team wrestling.

“TAG ME IN MOTHER FUCKER! I WILL BREAK HIM…TAG ME IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINUUUUUUUUUGH”

It makes a fabulous party game.

17. Khemm says:

Instant purchase. Love it that Capcom give the fighting community on PC a chance to grow.

18. Strange_guy says:

I remember playing Tekken 3 back on my PS1 fondly, so maybe I’ll have to think about getting this. I would probably need to finally get around to getting a controller though.

19. PC-GAMER-4LIFE says:

Will be using GFWL for sure which I personally love & never ever had any problems with so looking forward to it on PC. Capcom Japan handle all the PC games its not ported by someone else which is why their PC games usually come a few months later as Capcom do not allow others access to the codebase they only let the original console team do the coding & they are also massive PC fans which is why technically their PC games rock so much!!

• InternetBatman says:

I thought Capcom normally farmed out their ports which led to a recent promise from one of the higher ups that the ports would stop sucking. Also, right now you kind of sound like a PR person.

• PC-GAMER-4LIFE says:

Capcom stopped farming out PC ports in 2007!!!

• Ringwraith says:

Resident Evil 5 was a pretty well done port, despite using Games for Winarrgh, only lacking support for more than three mouse buttons.
      It even had LAN! Remember that?

20. InternetBatman says:

Doctor Wiley is in pic 2.

21. cosmicolor says:

I would like this to turn out alright but almost nothing I’ve heard about it so far, from people who have gotten to play it, sounds very promising. Can’t truly form an opinion until I get to play it, though. Am quite interested in seeing how Capcom do all the Tekken characters though, apparently they still have the huge movesets of their actual Tekken game counterparts which is nice.

I think Capcom needed to be more ballsy with gems. Back when they were announced, Capcom were for some reason extremely reluctant to tell anyone how they worked, or let people play with them, which resulted in a huge backlash that wasn’t resolved when Capcom finally did explain them.

I do hope this does really well, though, if only so that other fighting game makers outside of the Japanese indie scene would give the PC a chance. I suppose I always have the consoles for fighting games, but it would be cool to see, say, Namco throw Soul Calibur and/or Tekken on the PC, or Sega do another VF port.

edit: apologies to Radiant for linking to Armshouse again, but they are currently running a stream of the game RIGHT NOW here: http://www.twitch.tv/armshouse worth watching for people who want to see it in action. Looks like some of the Tekken characters have projectiles of some sort here, which is… interesting.