“Summon the Old God, Väinämöinen, to the battlefield.”

By Jim Rossignol on February 15th, 2012 at 9:36 am.

So. You might recall that I asked what the hell was going on in the last Air Buccaneers HD trailer. Ludocraft have taken some time to explain: “The Last Song of Väinämöinen is the most devastating weapon of mass destruction ever seen in video gaming history. The player can summon the Old God, Väinämöinen, to the battlefield. Once summoned Väinämöinen ascends onto the battlefield and starts to play the Last Song with his Kantele (Traditional Finnish instrument.) made from the jawbone of giant pike. As Väinämöinen plays his song, the crust of the earth shatters, trees burst into flames, rivers boil away and ultimately the whole universe collapses on itself. And then there’s only silence.”

And then there’s only silence.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. mentor07825 says:

All hail the Old God, may he strike down Cthulhu!!!

| O | , O , | O |

EDIT: Also excellent godly Cthulhu music. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2csnVNai-o I wish this was a game ender.

Shar_ds says:

Now…. if they could put in a “Capture the Sampo” mode…

3. sneetch says:

And then there’s only silence.

Could be worse, I suppose. It might destroy the universe and leave an annoying ring-tone playing constantly. Or it could play the start of Four Seasons (Spring), then pause after 30 seconds to say, “we apologise for the delay, your call is important to the universe, please hold” and then restart Four Seasons (Spring)!

All in all, silence isn’t so bad.

4. T4ffer says:

Yay for Finnish gods in video games!

5. UsF says:

Don’t worry, it will not be overpowered. You will need a killstreak of 25 kills to access this powerful nuke god.

• westyfield says:

Damnit, I was on my way to make the same joke. You win this time!

6. august says:

Well obviously.

7. Davee says:

Okay, that is pretty OP. But awesome in that you can only use it once. Ever.

(I just hope they don’t over-saturate the game with silly exclusive extras and special items ala TF2)

8. Network Crayon says:

The trailer also claimed ‘by now and get ‘The Last Song of Väinämöinen’ free’…

Thats a risky business model: Free Apocolypse Causing Music. : )

9. Daniel Klein says:

What a way to Finnish a game.

10. MadTinkerer says:

Actually, there have been a few creatures in Final Fantasy that could destroy the universe (including one in FF8PC, so it’s relevant). Some of them could even be summoned by the main characters. I don’t think any of them were based on real mythology though.

• Bhazor says:

Wasn’t there an apocalypse spell in Magic Carpet as well? Some of the highest level spells in Sacrifice also flattened mountains and cut slabs of the world away.

Theres also this from Planescape

In Ultima… 4 (iirc) there was a spell that killed every creature in the world except for the Avatar and Lord British.

• InternetBatman says:

Pretty sure that was in most of the Ultima’s, definitely 7. Lord British gets pissed, but it’s his fault for leaving the spell lying around.

11. Tony M says:

I’m glad they cleared that up. It makes perfect sense now.

12. Dominic White says:

I love this idea. Best pre-order incentive I’ve heard of. It really has no real practical use, but it’s a great thing to have sitting in reserve, waiting for the one day that you really want to end a match with a bang.

A long losing streak, and the enemy team are about to win once more? Worse still, they’re gloating about it.. Well, guess what? RAGNAROK!

And of course, each preordering player can only use it once, so it’s not like people will get tired of it.

13. jon_hill987 says:

Reminds me of this card from MTG.

That’s right, a card you have to rip up if you want to use it.

14. MythArcana says:

This is like the 15th write-up on Air Buccaneers HD in the past month, yet still not ONE mention of Conquest of Elysium 3 due out on the 19th.

You know…from the Illwinter guys, creators of Dominions 3 – the most complex fantasy TBS game ever made? How can you ignore it week after week? Jeez…

15. MythArcana says:

@Jim: Fair enough, my man. But then that would denote RPS as a particular fansite and not a gaming news ensemble, am I right?

@Vinraith: I have not seen that particular write-up yet and I will head over there with my morning coffee and go read up on some complex, old-school, mind altering gaming immediately. Thank you very much for the link!