Naval War: Arctic Circle Shows Its Most Beautiful Vessel

By Jim Rossignol on February 16th, 2012 at 3:30 pm.

I had a look at Naval War: Arctic Circle when I was over at the recent Paradox Convention, and I have to say I was impressed. It’s an austere sort of affair – a real-time strategy that takes place mostly at the level of a tactical map encompassing most of the Arctic, with visuals of ships and other naval participants on various screens (depending on which views you’re working with). You can see some of that in action in the developer diary below, where the team talk about some of the design choices they made, and also admit their love for a particularly large boat from the Russian fleet. So sleek. So buoyant.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Dana says:

Well Russian navy is the only one in the world still operating Battleship size vessels (Kirov Battlecruiser), so yeah, sexy times.

2. Seth says:

I need to see the CIWS. SeaRAM, Phalanx, I don’t care, I don’t even need it to work reliably (it probably doesn’t in real life either!) I just need to be able to shoot at missiles.

• Mavvvy says:

Ahh yes ciws. I remember when I was learning the different crew stations of the frigate in dangerous waters. I put the CIWs on full auto, thinking i’m not going to have a pesky missle get through my defence. So a short while later I launch a MH-60 to go sub hunting(or rather the naval equivalent) next thing I hear an explosion and my chopper falling out of the sky……. Thinking I’m under missile attack I command all hands to battlestations.

After firing missiles at every undesignated contact on the board, the ammo counter on the Phalanx gun shows a discrepancy……

3. Khemm says:

So, it’s a spiritual successor to Jane’s Fleet Command of sorts?

4. Lev Astov says:

I’m quite partial to the Molniya class missile boat, myself. It’s like a tank in the water!

5. Caleb367 says:

Want ekranoplan. Please let me play with ekranoplan.

6. jonfitt says:

This Naval ///ar reminds me a bit of Harpoon. The first thing I would do in any Harpoon mission was request nuclear release. Just to be sure.

• Cugel says:

Every morning I ask my boss at the office the same thing. Just to be sure.

• minerwilly says:

When I acquired my first girlfriend, I was a geek, but she was an uber-uber-geek. With a liking for Harpoon. So when we got round to kinda sorta discussing sex but couldn’t quite say it, we referred to it as Requesting A Full Nuclear Release.

I am now more eloquent. Also, permission was denied.

7. wodin says:

What happened to that jet. I hope that was alpha footage. Also I hope to god they use transparent glass in the planes\Helos etc. I want to see my little pilots crapping themselves when they have incoming SAM’s.

Not sure I liked the word “balanced” when your supposed to be dealing with realistic weapon systems.

Smacks of sins of a solar, on water in the present day. Each unit has abilities…I thought they had weapons.

Colour me cynical, hope I’m wrong.

• Zenicetus says:

“Balance” is going to be the interesting question for this game, as in… how are they going to balance Russia’s minimal navy against the large number of NATO carrier strike groups? Most of that is on the US side, and the US Navy currently has 11 carrier strike groups in operation. The Russians have a single carrier that barely goes out to sea, and has no experience in actual combat.

And yeah, I know it’s a future scenario, but I hope they can come up with something that’s at least halfway believable, like this Arctic scenario taking place while the USA has most of its assets tied up in another war somewhere else (not a bad prediction, the way things are going). And I hope it’s not just subs on one side vs. carrier groups on the other. Mixed forces are always more interesting.

• Kevin says:

The Russians kind of make up for their relative lack of surface combatants with a butt-load of Tu-22 Backfires loaded with Kitchen ASMs, not to mention a submarine force that’s no joke. A lot of analysts predict that the Russians will fight a projected Second Battle of the Atlantic in much the same fashion as the Germans had in WWII: target shipping convoys with their subsurface and maritime attack bombers, starving NATO forces in Europe into submission. But as stated above, it’s a rather one-sided battle if the total forces of Russia and NATO came together, which is why the Russians plan to take NATO on on their own terms (going after isolated units rather than facing 3 whole CVBGs at once).

8. Lenderz says:

I was very pleased with the Type-45 Daring class destroyer model they released on their forum, really got me interested in this game. I’m hoping that it’s advanced radar is as dominating in game as in real life.

A Royal Navy admiral once told with pride a story that in a training exercise with the yanks they asked for the Type-45 to stop using its fancy radar as it was spoiling their fun/the tests.

9. Eddy9000 says:

I look forward to “Naval War: Antartic Circle” where the endgame boss is Sean Penn in a small rubber dinghy.

10. Will Vale says:

This is probably the most massively geeky thing I’ve ever done, but…

The ship called out in the video as an Udaloy appears to be the single member of the Udaloy II class (Admiral Chabanenko) – an updated multirole version as opposed to the anti-submarine Udaloy. It’s been given a new hull number (650) although it used to carry 437 in the ’80s or ’90s.

The game model is an odd mix of accurate details (nice masts) and odd proportions. The Moskit missile launchers should be much bigger, and it’d be worth capturing the way they relate to the bridge – it’s very distinctive and cool-looking. Also the rear pair of funnels appears to be missing entirely?

Admiral Chabanenko on flickr

Hurrrrr. Phew. Off to kill myself now.

11. lordhughes says:

This looks awesome, got a bit of a soft spot for paradox stratergy games. Seem to be some of the only ‘stratergy’ games which still require some stratergy & thinking.

needless to say, I am looking forward to this :) just hope they don’t ‘balance’ it to far away from reality.

12. amishmonster says:

Don’t they mean the most beautiful wessel?

Comment on this story