Syndicate Doesn’t Launch With This Launch Trailer

By Craig Pearson on February 16th, 2012 at 11:26 am.

Mocking blind pigs with lens flare? You must really hate cute things, EA.
In another example of the games industry twisting a word until its meaning shatters into a thousand pieces of bacon shredding shrapnel, blinding a nearby piglet who only wanted to use his eyes to see what was happening, and who’ll now go through the rest of his life bumping sadly into your leg and hoping you’re not a rabid wolf… that piglet trusted you, damnit! See what you’ve done, industry? You’ve toss around words like “free” and “beta”, blinding curious little animals who only wanted to play with you, and now EA have gone and released a “launch” trailer for their FPS reboot of Syndicate, yet the game remains decidedly unlaunched. Well, it’s not on my PC and another piglet will never be able to appreciate eye things ever again.

Here, watch the video that little Hammy will never, ever see. When you’re done, go out and appreciate the beauty of the world.

, , , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola

piphil says:

I’m watching this and thinking “Thanks, but I’ve already bought DXHR. Very nice, you’ve made a version which isn’t quite so orange, well done. Weren’t you here about the new version of Syndicate though…?”

• Nalum says:

That’s what I’ve been thinking since this game was announced. I will still probably get it as it looks like fun.

But it does seem to be playing on the same ideas as DXHR

• CaspianRoach says:

How about DXHR with not-horrible weapon handling and shooting mechanics?

The Sombrero Kid says:

The more this whole thing goes on, the more this seems to be true, except i’ve got a strong feeling it’s going to be a much worse game.

• Moni says:

Where’s the inventory management? This is the worst sequel to Deus Ex ever.

• abigbat says:

The Deus Ex and Syndicate worlds are both very similar in terms of design and theme – why is this surprising?

I’m interested in this – trailers have such high budgets now that they tend to give little away about the overall experience, looking forward to actually seeing how the pacing and mission variety works. I haven’t checked out the 360 demo yet, anybody played it? Does a manly man voice tell you which weapon you have selected? That’s really all I care about…

Minigun. Uzi. Minigun. Persuadatron.

• Optimaximal says:

I wouldn’t be surprised if that trailer cost pennies… It was just a lot of edited in-game content and some CGI that was likely already done for the startup logos and ingame video.

Also, what was wrong with Deus Ex’s weapons handling CaspianRoach? Or were you expecting a hardcore shooter?

• apocraphyn says:

@abigbat: You don’t get the manly voice describing what weapon you have equipped. (Then again, you aren’t the one directing the pawns this time around…you are the pawn). Demo was rather decent, in my opinion; only mode available was 4-person online co-op, which involved plenty of running around, shooting men in the face, healing your team-mates & deactivating tough enemies shields with NANOMACHINES and other such fun things. You could seemingly only fail the mission if everyone was “incapacitated”, though; you can’t die. You only go into “I NEED A REBOOT” mode upon taking massive damage, which makes you slow to a crippling halt and requires a party member to stand right next to you and heal you.

All in all, game seems decent in multiplayer at the very least. Reckon I’ll give it a shot when it comes out. And the “I never wanted this” in the trailer is hilarious.

• codename_bloodfist says:

No need to complain. It’s a gritty, cyberpunk shooter. Not that many of those about.

• Suits says:

I refuse to see simlarities if it doesn’t have Jensen. Should I.. start rolling up my sleeves?

• destroy.all.monsters says:

The main difference is that this game seems to revel in killing as opposed to being penalized for it in DXHR. The fact that this isn’t anything like the original Syndicate has been known from the outset (looking forward to Paradox’s version though).

Hopefully someone will mod in the original’s “MINIGUN” etc. each time you change weapons. I’m mostly interested in seeing how often you can add agents – as opposed to just killing people – with the persuadertron.

2. MrThingy says:

i never asked for this

• Moni says:

She never wanted this.

• WMain00 says:

It’s nice to know plagiarism doesn’t exist in the games industry. Thank god we can all copy each others ideas and concepts willingly in an effort to make profit. What a wonderful world we live in.

• Apples says:

I thought you guys were just making a joke about it being like DX:HR, but that’s basically her actual first line from the trailer. Good god. That’s really cringe-worthy.

• copernicus_phoenix says:

“You can’t fight the future” has a certain ring of familiarity about it also…

• LionsPhil says:

It really is a great opening line for “We have absolutely no ideas. We started at the bottom of the bucket and we can’t even be bothered to dig.”

• Bfox says:

What a shame.

3. CaspianRoach says:

Music is quite good in this one.

4. Khemm says:

There’s a disturbing lack of Syndicate in this “Syndicate”.
    And this atrocious FOV combined with HUUUUGE gun models only makes this worse even if you accept that it’s “yet another run-of-the-mill FPS”.

The Sombrero Kid says:

Starbreeze are the new Raven.

• Optimaximal says:

I don’t think we can give them that title until they’ve been boiled down to producing add-ons for big games and numerous carbon copy retreads of their old games.

In otherwords, save that for Syndicate 2: Persuade Harder.

The Sombrero Kid says:

Riddick Games – Heretic/Hexen
      Darkness Games – Soldier of Fortune

This will be their Elite Forces where we all go, “maybe they DO have what it takes!”

• kyrieee says:

Elite Force wasn’t that good.

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

Oh c’mon Elite Forces was awesome! I still get a hankering to play a good Star Trek game and that’s basically the only one, ever.

• Urfin says:

Raven never did anything like Enclave. Not that Starbreeze is anywhere near that nowadays.

AmateurScience says:

Was that Dundee’s famous son Mr Brian Cox (no not that one) as ‘evil corporate evil bloke’?

7. metalangel says:

MY SYSTEMS ARE DOWN! I NEED TO REBOOT!

I’m completely invulnerable once this happens, however. If only I’d run up and pressed the action button sooner, I wouldn’t be stumbling around saying the same two lines over and over.

(the demo is terrible)

Seniath says:

After putting about 5 hours into the demo on [redacted], I’m actually looking forward to this.

I’m sorry, I realise being positive about this game isn’t allowed. Shall I hand in my RPS Reader card?

Craig Pearson says:

It’s fine. I’m looking forward to it, too.

• Prime says:

Me three. :)

Doesn’t mean I wouldn’t also want a decent “”re-imagining”” of the original games in their proper squad-level format.

JohnArr says:

Chant “Hail Horace” five times while contemplating His endlessnessness.

You should be fine.

• LXM says:

I’m really looking forward to this as well, despite the wave of negativity towards it. I thought the co-op demo was a lot of fun when played with a decent team, and my biggest issues with it (played on ps3) I expect won’t be an issue on pc (touchy aiming, sluggish framerate)

• Velvetmeds says:

demo? WHAT DEMO, WHERE IS IT, TELL ME NOWZ

• Screamer says:

I never played Syndicate…….. *runs away and hides after pre-ordering*.

• diamondmx says:

@Velvetmeds Try looking everywhere except your PC (irritated). It’s on PS3 and 360 – pretty good but it really strikes me as a game best played on the PC, and I dunno how I feel about installing Origin.

9. jimjames says:

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII am a man
    I’d like to shoot you
    Wouldn’t you like to be
    A shooty man too

Oh! I’m a man
    I’m such a pro
    I’ll shoot you with a shotgun
    In super slow mo

Yes! I am a man
    A super serious man
    I sweat testicles
    And eat my vegetables

10. Prime says:

I dunno…I have no reason to hate the name, and it looks highly polished in that Mirror’s Edge/Dead Space way that EA seem to be able to pull off without much effort. I’m also a sucker for slick future-y aesthetics. Colour me interested in what this is going to be like to play. Maybe even a little excited.

11. zergrush says:

I’m really on the fence about this one. A bunch of xbox360 owning buddies said that the game has more depth than the stupid videos show, I was told that the coop demo requires some measure of coordination and is quite fun.

12. Carolina says:

I can live with the fact that it feels more like a Deus Ex: Blue Edition than Syndicate; I can even get over the fact that the trailer makes the protagonist look like a Columbine-wannabe mass murderer, black outfit and dark, spiky hair and all, shooting people in a diner or whatever. How edgy!

But they put the goddamn sights on the top for a reason.

• Prime says:

Heh. That sentence would be more effective if the very last panel didn’t show the pistol firing at an angle below the horizontal plane of the gun itself. The muzzle flash is angled downwards in a way that contradicts the pistol’s position. You could possibly explain that with movement of the arm in an upwards direction but the artist hasn’t suggested that at all, confusing things greatly.

• Doesn'tmeananything says:

Edit: Reply fail.

• fallingmagpie says:

@Prime: I take your point, but I wouldn’t say it confuses things greatly. I mean, basically he’s just shot the guy, hasn’t he? :)

• Carolina says:

You surely like to overanalyze tiny little things, Prime.

That said, I don’t see how a very small inclination on the muzzle flash —that, like you said, it could be explained by the recoil— makes the final sentence less effective.

In any case, I was just making a point of how idiotic it looks when a supposedly trained and extremely lethal killing machine of a man shoots his gun gangsta style.

• Prime says:

I make no apologies for being who I am: you should see the way I organise my DVDs. :)

Yes, it’s a small thing but the devil is often in the details. And I read a lot of comics; next to games they’re perhaps my favourite form of entertainment. Bad art is bad art. It doesn’t look wrong to anyone else? The cool guy has just claimed that four sub-machine gun wielding idiots are idiots for the way they are holding their guns but – as drawn by the artist – HIS gun is firing at at angle different from its barrel, one that couldn’t work in real life!

But hey, sorry if I’m being a bit rude. I didn’t mean anything by this. Your original point still stands, Carolina.

• Carolina says:

No need to apologize, Prime, I have my share of… er, “healthy” OCD too.

At risk of dragging this a tad too much, no, it doesn’t really look wrong. At least not to me. It’s just a tiny inclination on the muzzle flash, not a glaring mistake by the artist. And even if you decide to scrutinize it so thoroughly, well, it can be easily explained by the gun recoil. Occam’s Razor, am I right? Just look at the previous page, where the thug is firing his pistol, gangsta style; or the panel above, where Frank is shooting several thugs in rapid succession: see the muzzle flashes? It’s clearly indicated that their origin is quite far from the current position of the barrels, so it’s very likely that the artist consistently draws firing guns this way to create a sense of sudden movement and recoil action.

Finally, even if it is, after all, a mistake by the artist, it still doesn’t matter; it doesn’t contradict at all the final sentence. He isn’t grabbing the gun the wrong way, it’s just a slight inclination on the muzzle flash. Why are we even discussing this? =P

Oh, and tell me you didn’t just compare Leandro Fernandez to Rob Liefeld. I mean… no, Prime. Just no.

• jellydonut says:

They actually DIDN’T put the sights on the top for a reason. Offset sights are used so that iron sights can be used instead of the optical sight.

Regular back-up iron sights are fine when using a red dot, as it has no magnification. They are, however, useless when using an optic with magnification. Hence the offset sights.

I guess it’s too recent for computer gamers to recognize, though, so they’re reduced to using a comic book to make their point (rather than what is actually used in real life by soldiers and law enforcement).

13. nothingfaced says:

Please no Origin, please no Origin…

• Khemm says:

Origin is the least of this game’s problems.
      They’ve announced it will require Origin to install&run, however. The number of EA games forcing you to accept this service will only increase in the future.

• Prime says:

Why would EA start up a new game delivery platform and then not deliver games through it? Face up to reality, Origin is the default for EA now.

14. philbot says:

As much as I hate saying this, It looks like I will have to PIRATE This game until it becomes permitted in Australia. I was really looking forward to this game, but now it has been censored.
    Australian government: Y U NO R18+ ????

• zergrush says:

is Origin banning people that activate cd-keys from different regions?

I haven’t got BF3, but there’s a billion places selling russian keys for cheapish prices.

• philbot says:

Nope, Australian Censorship laws blocked it because of it’s ‘ultra-violence’, unfortunately, and they wont be releasing a censored version. Nothing to do with EA or Starbreeze etc.

• Doesn'tmeananything says:

@Zergrush
      You’ll just be stuck with the Russian version of the game. It is possible to download English files elsewhere and with some registry magic switch to the original language, but every new patch seems to break that, so you’d have to download patched English files.

It’s a hassle and it’s stupid.

• zergrush says:

What I’m saying is that you could theoretically have someone else buy the thing for you / use a proxy and still be able to play the game, no matter what country you’re in.

I’ve done this with a couple of games on steam that were banned over here, and they work normally. Don’t know how that would work with origin, though.

JiminyJickers says:

Well, you will have to wait till 2013 then. I heard that’s when Australia is finally getting an R18 system for games.

Finally New Zealand won’t be forced to buy stupid Aussie censored games anymore. Does it have to be activated on Origin? Because Mighty Ape is selling the retail version and they do ship to Australia.

15. Velvetmeds says:

With Metro last light delayed, this is FPS of the year.

16. mondomau says:

Completely removing the history of the name, I was watching this thinking ‘Hey, this looks pretty good – high quality voice acting, daftpunk-esque soundtrack, interesting visuals.’ Then the actual game footage started and I remembered it’s yet another fucking FPS and all the interesting bits will be cut scenes. Bah.

17. InternetBatman says:

It makes the game look like a giant collection of cutscenes and cliches.

18. bo says:

I didn’t know they made a Syndicate movie. Cool!

So where’s the launch trailer for the game?

19. caddyB says:

Minecraft clone imo

20. ratache says:

Will never buy any EA title ever again…. ever.

21. Shooop says:

There’s still not enough lens flare and bloom. I can see halfway down that street.

• Apples says:

“It’s not the end of the street… but you can see it from here.”

22. razzafazza says:

i really dig the idea of remaking syndicate as shooter. huge levels, steerable vehicles, upgradable squadmates, TONs of civilians you can persuade to die for you (like in skyrim with illusion spells/mods) it all sounds incredibly fun no matter how oversaturated the FPS genre might be atm – it would be quite unique with all that ….

…now its just too bad that this syndicate looks absolutely nothing like what i just described and remember syndicate to be about. looks more like Crysis 2 + far more scripting / handholding and worse graphics.

might give it a whirl in a 2.50 steam sale but with all the great games comming out this year i think i ll pass ( Darkness 2 also looks more interesting if i had to buy a corridor shooter right now … )

i know about Cartel but in addition to that i want a syndicate shooter too, cant someone more talented then the ashes of starbreeze do one pretty please ?

• deadly.by.design says:

That’s assuming it ever makes it to Steam in the first place. It requires Origin, so don’t hold your breath…

23. grundus says:

I was really worried for a minute there that I’d go all day without hearing some dubstep.

• DiamondDog says:

Well you better fire up some Deep Medi, because there wasn’t any dubstep in that trailer.

/pedant

24. neolith says:

Oh look, it’s ‘Lensflares – The Game’.

On a more serious note: Whenever I think ‘Ok, maybe, just maybe it’s not THAT bad…’ someone says ‘Kilo’ and I have to start laughing. :D

25. ThaneSolus says:

Right… EA Strikes again. I was looking for a remake for Syndicate, not a Deus Ex mediocre clone. EA must be ran by the dumbest producers and game directors in the industry.

MajorManiac says:

Still not sure about this one. The trailers just look terrible, but that could just be bad trailers.

The next time someone puts a gun to their head, the news media is going to pounce on the ‘involuntary suicide’ moment.

27. SuperNashwanPower says:

YOU MADE ME FEEL SAD FOR THE PIGLET. NOW I AM ANGRY AT YOU. SO I AM GOING TO WRITE AN ANGRY POST, TO TELL YOU OF MY ANGER.

OK I AM DONE NOW.
    THANK YOU.

28. Nevyrmoore says:

Throughout the development of this, I was hoping that the “revenge” portion of the story didn’t mean “revenge against Eurocorp because oh no, they’re evil and they used you and they’re not allowed to do that!”. Fast-forward to now, and judging from the trailer, looks like that’s the case.

Goddammit, EA.

29. longhaia says:

You’ll love it very much!
    A good place for shopping online store…..go now! ….