Modern Warfare 3 Has A Free Weekend Drop Incoming

By Craig Pearson on February 17th, 2012 at 10:05 am.

Free? Hut hut hut!
Did you know that 90% of all gaming videos on Yourfaceinatube are Modern Warfare related? And that 99.99% one of them has music that’s been recorded in a scrapyard crushing machine? I believe there’s an option labelled “scrrrrrawwwwwwewrarrr” during upload that adds it. In addition, every video must have at least two labels, pointing to various other videos that benefit you, the viewer, and for no other reason. There’s an exciting world of video-making that I’m just not a part of. If you’d like to get some of that action, but don’t own the game, Modern Warfare 3’s multiplayer is to free play now and all weekend on Steam. If you start downloading now, you can spend the evening Warfareing Modernly 3ish, like the chaps in the video below.

You know, I’m unsure that Lord Kryptic 7 is the gentleman his name suggests.

, , , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. faelnor says:

Does this work for the solo campaign as well?

• TNG says:

Multiplayer only.

• faelnor says:

Not interested then. Thanks.

• SquareWheel says:

Same thought. No interest in multiplayer, might be fun to test out PC specs on the singleplayer though.

• EOT says:

I thought it said “play the full game for free” on the add last night? I can’t check now because for some reason Steam only wants to crash instantly whenever it starts up.

• Alexander Norris says:

The single-player is four hours long. The single-player is not why people buy Modern Warfare 3.

And actually, unlike MW2, MW3 MP is actually a pretty good game. If you like 6v6 TDM you should probably try it this weekend.

• EOT says:

But I am actually genuinely interested in how the whole daft thing ends.

• Valvarexart says:

MP is certainly good if you enjoy 30 FOV

• Unaco says:

@EOT…

Then buy the game and play the single player campaign. Or, read the plot on the wikipedia article.

• nrvsNRG says:

The SP is a complete mess.
      Dont bother unless you enjoy having control taken away from you every 2 mins/having to watch some sort of spectacle every 2 mins/watching boring cutscenes every 2 mins. Also the shooty bits didnt feel fleshed out or satisfying enough.
      So basically only play it if you want to watch an interactive movie.
      I felt like i was robbed out of a game and i prefer BF3 for my FPS MP fix.

2. Valvarexart says:

Nah, I think I’ll skip that offer. Thanks, though!

3. sneetch says:

MP only? Hmmm… well if you think you’ll enjoy playing against people who’ve been playing this game since the first MW came out in 2007 and could now move through maps blindfolded and still kill you with ease then you have fun! I played the co-op missions and that was enough for me, the MP was painful.

• RizziSmoov says:

99% of all CoD players are bad.
      The worst are in the newest CoD.

4. Skusey says:

Well I’m going to play it. So there.

5. Tusque D'Ivoire says:

I have my fun with some of the MW multiplayer, whenever there’s the odd free weekend coming around. In the first game i get killed a lot, but then I find my mojo and start turning out in the middle of the scoreboards, with the people below me 30-50 levels higher than me.

I just don’t feel there’s a lot of skill involved, but it’s fun anyway, from time to time.

6. Zankmam says:

Excellent!
    A better alternative to the already old (but still great) CoD 4 MP.

And lol @ you hipsters “oh man no thanks it’s bad lol.”

• psyk says:

Ahhh the maps were so good, small number of camping spots with nice twitch gameplay shame it’s gone down the road of camping spots galore which slows it down some what.

7. Moni says:

I didn’t think I would like it, but it fills a void that opened up when I stopped playing Team Fortress. It’s just a quick, stupid, blast that holds my attention for 30 minutes at a time.

Pro-tip: Click the ‘mute all’ option.

8. RaytraceRat says:

Got BF3 already, enough of “brown man shoot his brown gun in brown environment” games for me, thanks.

• TormDK says:

I’m going to try it out of spite because I know BF3 is a better multiplayer experience.

9. Shortwave says:

My buddy asked me if I wanted to play it this weekend.
    I laughed.
    The end.

jezcentral says:

Interesting that ActiBlizz is trying this. It’s a bit creative and innovative, so I hope it bears fruit (despite my feelings for the actual game).

I wish EA would see this, and try something like it with Origin. They have a platform, but seem to be relying on ignorance and inertia (and pre-order DLC) to drive sales. (I have no axe to grind about Origin. It’s an annoyance, but I see that EA have the right to provide a non-Steam service).

• Baines says:

Activision could be scared of how much MW3 sales dropped after its blockbuster opening.

A lot of people seem vocally unhappy with MW3, more so than with previous CoD games, and with more reason. Some have been calling the multiplayer unplayable if you end up host or have a good internet connection, as the lag compensation system apparently ranges somewhere from “botched” to “insane”. There are a whole host of design problems in the game. The devs keep releasing patches, but the patches mostly tend to do nothing or even make things worse.

Some people have seriously argued that the game may be in worse shape now than it was at release. And they may even be right.

Reading the callofduty forums for Modern Warfare 3 is probably sadly funny, if you aren’t actually trying to play the game. The game really looks like the devs are scrambling around without a clue as to what they are doing, what the other devs are doing, or even how to make a game in the first place.

11. nootpingu86 says:

RPS, we don’t need to be reminded. It’s all over Steam. You’ve already run articles that are unequivocally negative about MW3.

• Milky1985 says:

Awwwww diddums, are the big rps bullies being meanies towards your favorite gamie whamie?

Well just ignore them, remember they are as afraid of you as you are of them!

• nootpingu86 says:

I dislike MW3 too. I think it’s silly that they would voluntarily write an advert masquerading as a news post for a game they dislike. Shameful.

• Unaco says:

This is a news post, masquerading as… well, as a news post. It’s not an advert for anything.

• nootpingu86 says:

It’s amplifying the marketing push behind MW3’s free weekend regardless of the intent. That’s the only effect his has on anything. Given the stir the MW3 takedown on this site made it’s strange.

It’s like every other gaming site when they decide to reprint press releases as news.

Anyway I like General Minus. He gets on the Xbox version and trolls candy from the babies.

Let’s watch: http://youtu.be/MBVOahNlzog

http://youtu.be/xWQ3r0YYeyE UGH this is classic!

• Jahnz says:

I for one am thankful that RPS has posted this. I check RPS every day, but I do not check Steam every day. I have been waiting for one of these free weekends so that my wife and I can check it out. I hated the MP for MW2 and I assume that the MW3 MP is similar, but I wanted to try it all the same before I call it crap and dismiss it.

12. Dhatz says:

Did I play this shit? did I play Battlefied shit? I dont fucking care, I rememeber Darkness 2 is the shit that combines Borderlands, F.E.A.R., Aliens(with essence of Dark Sector) and Max Payne(it’s always night).

13. Milky1985 says:

The cynical part me thinks that this is a sign that activision are a little worried about this games sales (or lack), yes its sold millions but i get the feeling hte drop off has been quicker this time.

Can’t remember the others having free weekends or beign dropping in price on places like amazon by now, they retained there value for a long time.

• Unaco says:

Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 had at least 1 free weekend, in April 2010. So around the same time after release as this, maybe a month earlier.

Amazon always has games a touch cheaper, even at release, and I think it’s their decision what price a game is on there, rather than the publishers. And it’s not really significantly reduced (£32 I’m seeing it as, is usually a £40’er)… and is about the same price (retail) as MW2 was around its free weekend.

I think the cynical part of you is reading too much into this, possibly because you hope the game will ‘fail’, or stub its toe at least (seen as the millions and millions and millions of sales already means it’s unlikely to ‘fail’).

• Milky1985 says:

A bti of basic googling:

Modern warfare 3 release date : November 8th 2011

Free weekend : Feb 17th 2012

Different in time, about 3 and a half months.

Modern warfare 2 release date: November 10th 2009

Free weekend (according to your dates so not sure if there was an earlier one) : April 2010

Difference in time , about about 5 and a half months.

So this one is quite a bit sooner in “game” time considering the sales curve that they normally follow.

Don’t really know why I am bothering to reply really but thought it was interesting information. Oh but don’t add stuff like “possibly because you hope the game will ‘fail’,”, stuff like that makes you seem likea daily mail reporter by making me “say” something i’m not.

I don’t like people trying to put things in my mouth without asking me first, in real life or on the internet!

• Moni says:

Modern Warfare 2 and Black Ops both had free weekends.

• Unaco says:

@Milky…

Oh, sorry! Please forgive… Didn’t know that you were the only person here that was allowed to insinuate things, like when you say…

“The cynical part me thinks that this is a sign that activision are a little worried about this games sales (or lack)”

I didn’t know that only you were permitted to interpret other people’s actions and words, and that such declarations from you are like holy scripture, inscrutable, unchallengeable.

(imagine the above in a tremendously sarcastic voice)

All I was doing was providing alternatives to your insinuation that Acti are worried about sales… They aren’t doing anything different with MW3 than they did with MW2.

The MW2 Free weekend was April 8th, so 5 months after release. Not 5 and a half months.

• fyro11 says:

@Unaco

One month in a fiscal year spells big, big trouble. This is PC-specific news, but stuff like that really scares shareholders. /If/ the decline in interest started a month-and-a-half earlier this year, I’ll be hoping it’s that much sooner in two years from now.

Oh and btw, it’s cheaper on Steam too.

Wish I could pass on my Steam copy, since it’s uninstalled.

• Unaco says:

It’s reduced on Steam, because it’s a free weekend. The same thing they do for EVERY free weekend… allow the free playing, knock 33% off the price to entice buyers… getting a taste + reduced price = more people buying.

I don’t see why people are reading this as signs of the imminent demise of the series and Activision. Unless it’s wishful thinking.

14. iARDAs says:

This game is a disgrace. I never bashed COD games before but the graphics of Mw3 is like early PS3 games where graphics were inferior to even Wii. Black Ops have much better graphics than MW3. Gameplay is the same but honestly the game is weird.

I pity the soul who paid full money for this crap. Again this is the only COD i ever bashed. I love COD series as they are fun but this one is as garbage as it gets.

How the hell did this game sell so much?

The FOV seems like the game lays like 720p. Even the menus arehorrible.

Guess what. in 2012, wehave new games that cant show what your ping is instead shows green bars.

Damn you consoles.

• The Colonel says:

Maybe they put in more content and had to sacrifice graphical fidelity? I’ve not played it on PC but from what I’ve seen on console none of them have graphics worth talking about anyway.

• iARDAs says:

The graphics of the PC version is utterly terrible. Field Of View is also a ball braker. I owned every single COD game that came out for PS3 and they were all better than MW3 in PC. Go figure.

• fyro11 says:

Change your graphics to ‘native’.

I personally think this has the best graphics of the lot, albeit by a small, insignificant margin since CoD4. But it’s not just that, it’s the fact that the engine on the fifth game remains the same, the SP is shorter than ever, the MP hasn’t evolved at all.

Few developers can pull off the stunt that IW do. Regurgitate similar stuff every two years. And btw, anyone know what Sledgehammer was doing amidst all this?

• Shooop says:

The only game-breaker MW3 has in terms of graphics is the FOV. It’s all-caps AWFUL.

It’s designed of course for gameboxes where you have a bit of distance between you and the TV, but when ported to a PC monitor without any adjustments it’s enough to cause motion sickness.

15. InternetBatman says:

I wish Steam wouldn’t automatically put this stuff in my library. It throws off the organization system and I don’t want it anyways.

16. The Colonel says:

Ha ha perhaps the most tediously underwhelming video I’ve seen all week. What great “lol” moments this game produces.

Qazinsky says:

Oh, I guess I should avoid playing MW3 this weekend then, it’s gonna be packed with cheaters, since that’s what usually happens in these games on free weekends.

(DISCLAIMER: I am NOT one of those that accuse every player with a better score of being cheaters, but this is how it usually turns out when CoD games have a free weekend, people make new steam accounts, cheat to hell, get banned, get a new account and repeat.)

18. Tei says:

Well this is ( changing host… ) good ( changing host… Redirecting player to empty lobby) op ( game ends, wait for next gam( changing ( changin(((((((

19. deadly.by.design says:

If it were a free single-player weekend, I’d never need to touch the game after Sunday.

I still think they should sell a sp-only version for half price.

20. Shooop says:

21. squareking says:

Men shooting at men? How novel!

22. Brun says:

Activision actually cited their yearly iteration of the Modern Warfare franchise as an example of how they’re being innovative.

I guess when you aren’t good at anything, you have to make stuff up when people ask…

23. yourgrandma says:

graphics are worse than mw2 with the exact same gameplay… wasn’t worth the free download.

24. Davie says:

Unfortunately I just got Section 8 Prejudice, and I’m still enjoying that far too much to waste valuable bandwidth.

25. Donjo says:

Screw you guys! I’M going to play it over the weekend and probably enjoy it. :P