The Needlessly Enormous Tactical Intervention Gallery

By Jim Rossignol on February 17th, 2012 at 9:03 am.

Scrolling through this vast selection of Tactical Intervention images – with dogs, explosions, and terrified comedy hostages – was giving me the weirds: sending my brain back ten years, when my job on PC Gamer was to review Counter-Strike’s numerous imitators between bouts of writing about joysticks and graphics cards. How time flies. How nothing changes. It’s quite a peculiar un-nostalgia.

There are so many images here. I don’t know why I posted them all. I’m sorry.

1. roryok says:

in screenshot number seven, just below hoverdog:

Did that guy just get his knob bitten off by a german shepherd?

• Groove says:

Game of the Year.

• aldo_14 says:

I saw that one and the blood spray made me think it was it a dancing women in a flamengo dress and comically oversized boobs.

Mind you, I’ve not had much caffeine today yet.

• InternetBatman says:

If you think the attack dogs are bad wait until you see the attack hamsters.

2. Inigo says:

You’d think after a while one of the developers would have noticed that most the gun models were left-handed.

• Valvarexart says:

What….are you talking about?

• Nim says:

Case ejection.

• Snargelfargen says:

What a ridiculous mistake. At least they didn’t get the bolt-action rifle wrong.

• Mistabashi says:

It isn’t a mistake, loads of games do that (including Counter-Strike).

• El_Emmental says:

If the game is all about bang-bang-boom, you need to show off the chamber and case flying on the screen to get more flashy and moving objects on the screen.

Custom skins will fix that anyway, if his game doesn’t allow custom skins and custom maps it’s doomed, the guy is talking to the Counter-Strike/Call of Duty audience, they love pink FA-MAS

• Adriaan says:

Yeah, it irks me when people do that. You can make a gun look interesting even without moving parts around to where they don’t belong, like with a nicely done texture. I can’t believe devs still think it’s necessary.

• Mistabashi says:

It’s not just about about making it look more interesting, it’s also much easier to animate them effectively when you mirror them. It’s pretty hard to make a convincing animation of the recoil effect when firing, so being able to see the bolt moving, cartridges ejecting etc. makes it much easier to create weapons that feel satisfying to fire. It’s also a bit easier to do fast reload animations that way.

I don’t have a problem with it myself, and I’m guessing the vast majority of players won’t realise it’s “wrong” or simply won’t care. If a game is trying to be a hardcore simulation then fair enough, but it’s a bit of a daft thing to get annoyed about in 99% of cases.

• Zyrusticae says:

This is a pet peeve of mine, and pretty much the first thing I touch whenever I install CS:Source (which hasn’t been for years, I might add).

Counter-Strike is the only game I’ve seen that actually does this. Rainbow Six: Vegas, the Battlefield series, the Call of Duty series, none of them do this weird mirroring thing that just takes me out of the game and into the realm of a weird alternate reality where having steaming hot cases ejecting in your face is apparently an acceptable thing to have every firearm doing.

bear912 says:

Far Cry 2 does this as well, though, admittedly, I wouldn’t have noticed on my own. The Wikipedia article for that Far Cry 2 brought it to my attention…

• Ericston says:

Also, if I recall correctly, in the CS beta (which ran for a very long time) all characters were left-handed with right-handed guns because Gooseman was left-handed himself. 1.0 had right-handed characters by default, but instead of remodelling they just flipped the models, resulting in everyone carrying left-handed guns.

3. Valvarexart says:

Looks…..fun!

4. SlappyBag says:

aPawling.

I think he must of got lucky with the first Counter-Strike, or had teammates that steered it in a safe direction. =P

5. Koojav says:

2012 award for FPS shit graphics goes to…

THIS!

6. doofusmagnus says:

I’m particularly fond of the crotch-exploding dog bite and the guy crashing into the other guy’s invisible forcefield with an SUV.

• Luke says:

I want to play as the man who can see through his own rocket-launcher.

• doofusmagnus says:

I think you’ve misinterpreted it–he’s actually loaded a translucent RPG round with a tiny glowing car, which he is about to shoot at some people for massive damage. Hope this makes sense now, you’re welcome.

And I personally would like to play as the guy coming out of the subway who has realized some existential truth in the palm of his hand so powerful that it’s made the mortal danger of his situation entirely irrelevant. I envy his confidence.

• Droopy The Dog says:

I don’t want to play as the guy having a gun barrel forced down his trousers in a darkened room.

7. hosndosn says:

Looks more fun than the gazillionth CoD. But not much. I still wonder why exactly the world needs this game. Maybe it’s really well balanced/paced?

• Wang Tang says:

It doesn’t look like more fun than Gazillionaire though.

8. Scatterbrainpaul says:

hmmmm

Police with Shields.

Remember when Counter Strike briefly had shields in it? dark days

• roryok says:

hated that riot shield in MW2. one guy in the office use to use it all the time. So frustrating. Although it was extra satisfying to pop c4 on a wall and lead him past it.

• Sarlix says:

That would have been CS 1.6. And yeah shields went down like a shotgun to the face. Or a german shepherd to the groin, if you prefer.

• nootpingu86 says:

It still does. That’s how little Valve cares about 1.6. It also has no shortage of active players to this day. Surprise!

9. MD says:

I liked the one with the guy with a gun.

10. wazups2x says:

He shouldn’t have left Valve.

11. Gnoupi says:

I need a new mouse wheel.

12. aldo_14 says:

I don’t know what’s going on, but there’s clearly a train, so the Daily Mail will be furious.

13. RegisteredUser says:

Looks quite shit graphically.

14. Sarlix says:

Screenshot number 3: AWP whore.

15. Robin says:

Can’t wait to try it; why still no EU date? Damn it!

I really don’t understand all the bitching about GRAPHICS. Counterstrike had shitty graphics compared to the others multiplayer FPSs of its age, and yet it survived them all and it is still on top of the steam “current playing” chart as of today.

16. Shortwave says:

Horrible screenshot, after horrible screenshot. LOL.
    The more I scrolled the more I laughed, wow..

This, is definitively something special..

I need coffee..

17. nootpingu86 says:

This looks neat. I couldn’t care less about how many graphics it has out of 10 because I played CS 1.6 on up to the release of TF2 in 2007.

Before CS Gooseman worked on Action Quake 2. There’s none of the capricious eSports community baggage involved in making something like this that CS had the worst of. I think he’s trying to bring it all together here. Even if he doesn’t, it’s an admirable effort. Especially since he did leave Valve to make it.

Let’s hope we don’t have a repeat of what happened with CZ.

18. El_Emmental says:

Hey hey people, don’t say graphics are “shit”, say they are => OLD <=, it's based on a modified Source Engine.
    Everyone know Source is an old grumpy man with a grey beard shaking his fist at more recent engines, reminding everyone he was the first to establish “advanced physics simulation” as mandatory. But doesn’t say anything about textures, he’ll probably have a seizure.

I can't imagine what better graphics would bring to this game.

Realism ? Immersion ? This game is about dogs bitting croches and car chases with RPG 7.

The only effect would be "ho I'm glad I spent $300 in my GPU" and a smaller audience since most people won't be able to run it decently.

Also…

Two facts :
    - this game is about bang-bang-boom = tons of effects/explosions/action
    - this game apparently has a fast-paced gameplay

You should worry about FPS drops and mini-freeze under heavy load rather than "HUR GRAPHICS ARE BAD".

And it’s a damn multiplayer, not a single-player with story, scenery p0rn and immersion.
    What you need in a multiplayer is : big playerbase (= low requirements), excellent optimization, perfect resistance to heavy load (both for client and server).

• nootpingu86 says:

Right. I like that aspect a lot. The image people have of CS does not square with this so I understand why he went independent.

The graphics also aren’t really anything particularly bad. The source engine without the recent additions of bling in Left 4 Dead or TF2′s toon-styling does look similar or worse, usually. CS: GO has nice models but the environments do not look much different from CSS (some maps in that game still look good, whoa!) although that could change, obviously. Maybe the whole “Korea” thing is influencing people’s feelings on it a bit much.

• Dhatz says:

wha tthe fuck are we doing talking about graphics and counter-strike in the same sentence.

• Dhatz says:

wha tthe fuck are we doing talking about graphics and counter-strike in the same sentence?

• nootpingu86 says:

Well this is a comment thread about screenshots. People in the other thread were also concerned about its nation of origin. Perhaps we could tone down the vague racism and just meet the game on its own terms?

I agree, it looks janky. CS 1.6 is also pretty damn janky. I like saying janky!!!

19. Miked says:

Good to see a kangaroo in image 6. Always enjoy them.

20. Dhatz says:

fucking yessssss. finally someone made proper gun skins that dont look like they have been passed down for generations.

21. Skabooga says:

Have you ever fired a gun out your window whilst in a high-speed pursuit?

jimbobjunior says:

15.jpg: Escort Mission

YEESSSSSSSS!

23. engion3 says:

In the third screenshot did that hostage shoot a bullet out his rectum?

24. alt24z says:

I don’t understand why the developers are always throwing around “from the creator of counter-strike”. It would be relevant if the game played remotely close to cs rather than looking like a cod clone. I wish some people never complained about a game looking basic or boring because than we could continue to make games that played like counter-strike which works so well because of its basic design.