Eve’s Latest Explains The Awakening

By Jim Rossignol on February 18th, 2012 at 10:45 am.

CCP might have sacked a bunch of their Eve Online staff, but they can still make a decent trailer, which they’ve just done to do a bit of promotion for the game. It has some woman with space hair explaining a newly cloned up pilot what lies ahead of them. Still nothing on the Butterfly Effect trailer (which I’ve also linked below) which I think is the only video CCP managed to create that came close to explaining what they are trying to do with the game.

If these glitzy marketing materials have done their work and fixed a tractor beam to your interest, then why not find some actual Eve players to play with? You won’t want to go in alone.

, .

1. kyrieee says:

Pretty bad for an EVE video. They tend to be high quality, but the live action stuff doesn’t work out. The “EVE is real” video was also cheesy as hell.

• Jabberwocky says:

Really? Odd. I thought it was a great video. Totally dug the live action stuff.

• DevilSShadoW says:

I always give things the benefit of the doubt on the internet until I’ve judged them with my own eyes. Most things are almost always not as bad as people make them out to be.

This video? The acting? The voice? The stiffness is unbearable. How were they not able to find someone more suitable for voicing this? Why didn’t they just use Aura’s voice (in game tutorial thing)? They really dropped the ball on this. Even for a new player this must look really poorly done.

• Jabberwocky says:

I read it more as an emotionally detached medical technician, which I thought fit the dialog nicely.

• Davee says:

I’m with kyrieee on this one.

They could at least have taken the opportunity to show off the gorgeous Carbon characters/lighting some more (and also be able to put a “100% in-engine footage” stamp on it).

• Hoarr says:

I kinda have to agree with Kyrieee as well. While clearly geared for bittervets to try to get them back, I preferred the 100% more pewing in the Crucible trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrrVDV_NsNo

• MadMatty says:

im with Jabberwocky- both trailers are cool

• dsi1 says:

I’m with Jabberwocky, the only bit I didn’t like was her very last line. The content was more emotional (imo) but the tone was the same as the rest.

tomeoftom says:

Waiting for some decent actors, I suppose.

Edit: I don’t get how they went all the way down from the butterfly effect one – which was quite good – to this.

• battles_atlas says:

Butterfly Effect one is pretty cool but rather pisses away the premise by not actually demonstrating a butterfly effect

• SirClueless says:

Yup, with your decision to be a valiant hero in a rare encounter in the far reaches of space, you cause yourself to be a peon in a war that would have happened anyways.

3. Valvarexart says:

Isn’t Mortal Online’s next expansion also named Awakening?

4. Shortwave says:

Let me know when they smarten up and put the FPS aspect of the universe on PC.
    Please and thank you. Till’ then, theres nothing that will ever get me interested in playing this again.

Crimsoneer says:

Damn, I’d better go tell Hilmar. Don’t know how EVE could possibly survive without Shortwave. They should probably radically alter their plans for the game’s future around your preferences.

• Shortwave says:

Right. : P Because everyone isn’t aware not putting that on PC was one of the dumbest ideas ever.. >.>

• Merus says:

If they released it on PC it’d just have the same community as EVE. I think CCP wanted Dust to have a very different community.

• paterah says:

It was probably not a dumb idea. You aren’t the one that created one of the most popular MMOs ever.

• Captchist says:

Neither was CCP. ZING!

Hanban says:

You won’t want to go in lone indeed. I’ve tried a few EVE trials before and in my solitude always found the game terrible because of a general lack of directions and not getting a sense of what the game is about.

Now I have played for over a year and still love it. Partly because of the community, partly because of the sheer nerve-wracking excitement that springs up while doing pew pew.

So if anyone’s given EVE a solo-try before, try again and join us in RPSH. Maybe you’ll fancy it!

• PsyComa says:

RPSH is recruiting new members, so now’s as good a time to start as always. Recent buffs to easy-to-get-in ships like destroyers and assault frigs mean all you new people can start raking in the kills from day one!

6. Koozer says:

Farscape! Possibly.

7. Merus says:

The problem I have with the Butterfly Effect trailer is that it seems way more likely that the gang the miner called in to save him from the pirates is more likely to just shoot you and take your stuff than they are to allow a stranger to follow along in their battles. By the time you get to 0.0 space it’s basically just the bastards left.

8. Grimh says:

Wait, so Ashton Kutcher is playing EVE, and to get ahead of the others he’s reading his own forum posts he’s written in the past about the game, enabling him to travel back in time, influencing events in the game to have a favourable outcome for him? Thus making him the most powerful EVE player in the world?

What a strange film.

9. SicJake says:

Every time I see a new video from Eve, or read another great corporation downfall story I want to try the game again. I’ve tried 3-4 times to LIKE Eve, but I find it’s one of those games that’s far more entertaining to read about rather than play.

I just find the combat really boring, and large fleet vs fleet too laggy. Other Eve has a great community, full of bastards in 0.0 but thats sort of the point, join a corp and it’s full of great people. Just the core game.. sucks?

• Torgen says:

Perhaps you should try the free trial of Perpetuum, and join the RPS corp. We have organized PVP roams multiple times a week, as well as PVP ratting, etc. We’re all mostly new (I think the “oldest” character is just two months old) so plenty of opportunity to learn together. Yes, the PO version of 0.0 has bastards, but also enough people who know the game needs new players to survive, and won’t go “seal clubbing.” They’re more than happy to attack in a “just about fair” fight, which is what we’re craving.

• Jim Rossignol says:

I think Eve’s core game is awesome. Best non-twitch PvP game ever.

• PsyComa says:

Dude, join RPS in eve and you’ll have a blast. check our forum thread here!

• Berious says:

Don’t know if you’ve played recently but they’ve just added a feature called Time Dilation. This slows down simulated time as battles get bigger so rather than lagging out and being hit or miss if you can control your ship things go slow motion for everyone. It works extremely well for the huge former lagfest battles – they take much longer but it’s completely fair to everyone. I’ve been in 1000 vs 1000 battles with no module lag and everyone loading grid just fine(albeit at 1/10th real time).

• Hoarr says:

Sic, RPSH is recruiting at the moment. If you feel like giving it a go, take a look at the forums here or go ahead and hit us up in game on the “RPS Community” channel

10. Stevostin says:

You won’t want to go in alone.

That’s exactly what I do want to do, actually. Ian Solo isn’t in a “guild”. Neither is Clint Eastwood in the spaghetti movie. Neither are most of book characters. They may have companions, but their destiny truly is theirs. It’s not a crowd.

When MMO designers will understand that mass teamplay obligation is actually a repulsive, because it trade a certain type of gameplay that while untertaining isn’t hugely untertaining either for a shitload of schedule obligations, waiting, dramas and in general you own fate being determined mainly but anything but you, MMO will start to go somewhere.

Eacth time those trailers says “how cool, you can be someone of little importance in a group”, I am out of there. If I can be the lone wolf – for real, meaning that I can dodge efficiently a corporation’s wrath and actually make some cash on their asses by outplaying them, fine, this is for me. If not…

• slight says:

You can fly solo, but not until you’re pretty good. Also flying with friends is just fun. We fly gangs of 2-3 which is virtually solo as far as eve is concerned, and we have a blast, though it can be hardto find a fight worth engaging with so few

• Silverhood says:

Client Eastwood wasn’t exactly a young dude when he took on the world solo. He had plenty of experience under his belt. But yes, it is possible to “solo” in eve, but you are limited in targets and you will die lots until you learn how to not die. If all you do is Empire based war declarations, you will be fine solo. If you want to play in the scummier ponds of low and null sec, then friends help, because there’s always someone bigger and meaner around the corner.

But eve has a learning curve longer than most bachelor degrees, how are you going to absorb what you need if don’t have more experienced people you can learn from?

That said, some of the best pilots in eve fly solo and get a load of kills every day, so it’s definitely doable.

11. pardus says:

Speaking of internet spaceships, I’m already having more fun in 2 weeks of STO, than in a year of Eve..
    Eve is a social club, not a game. It doesn’t have pve nor pvp, at least not in any meaningful or entertaining form.
    It has great ship customization, gorgeous graphics, it’s fairly complex overall (which I mean as a plus).. but that’s it, you’ll be all the time planning ships, preparing, training, hoarding stuff… and wondering what you should to to make the GAME begin. But you cant’ because in making Eve they just missed the ‘gameplay’ part.
    It may be your thing if you are a complete nolifer and really into compulsive (and compulsory) farming (killing mobs ad nauseam to make money with no challenge at all, actually it’s so predictable that you can do it afk). Or if you really love ganking outnumbered noobs after hours of immensely boring cat&mouse chases. These 2 things constitute 90% of actual Eve gameplay when you’re not planning your business or equipping ships.
    Big wars are a chore, it’s so bad that not even fanboys defend them.
    Small wars are no different than daily roams, no one will ever fight if not absolutely certain of victory, finding a good fight -AND not losing ships worth several days of farming in the process- is almost impossible (forget about your 5 min pvp queue…in Eve you have to put in HOURS just to have a small chance of finding a fight, it’s worse than a cold war submarine hunt). And anyway the game provides plenty of ways to avoid fighting but still frustrate/bore opponents to death.
    And then you can read the great stories on corp politics/drama, until the day the drama gets to you personally, and you realize just what a load of overhyped crap that game really is.

12. Jip says:

EVE is a funny beast. The longer I’ve been away from it, the harder I find a motivation to go back to it, but at the same time the more I read about it, the more I want to get back playing it.

Just in case I have a moment of weakness and re-sub, where is the RPS corp based, and is there room for a -10 drunken Leroy Jenkins style crap pirate ?

• Palindrome says:

Currently we are based in Stacmon and there are limitless vacancies for lemmings.

Our benevolent leader has also started up a reimbursment scheme to cover ship loses, lets see who can bankrupt him first.