Rolling Stone: Jagged Alliance Online Goes To Open Beta

By Jim Rossignol on February 18th, 2012 at 1:04 pm.

The alliance that is jagged, but also online (rather than the one that will soon be back in action) has an open beta! You can completely sign up for that right here. I’ve no idea whatsoever about whether this is any good, or not, but I do rather hope it is, because this is the same company (and therefore the same design and tech) as the forthcoming Shadowrun Online. And that is something I have a fair bit of interest in. Oh yes, the residual fandom of the cyberpunk RPGs of youth remains strong.

Thanks to everyone who troubled my inbox to point this beta out.

, , .

1. Sarlix says:

This looks like it could be rather splendid actually.

/signs up

edit: alright, who stole my username? Looks like I’m going to have to go with Goat Harrison now :(

• xavdeman says:

I would like to point out that neither my friends nor I can play ATM
      “Server Connection – Could not connect to the Server. Please reload the game to try again.”
      So that’s a great start of this beta.

EDIT: Seems we’re not the only ones suffering from this maddening error: http://jaggedalliance.gamigo.com/forum/showthread.php?655-Unable-to-Connect
      The devs are REALLY not on top of this.

• Miltrivd says:

Same problem, can’t connect. I smell an IP Block tho

• Armagetiton says:

Don’t waste your time people, this game is both terrible AND planning on being the worst case of pay to win I have ever seen.

2. YoYo says:

Unity web player needed ;((

And it doesn’t seem there’ll be a linux version anytime soon (if ever…) ;(

3. Alexander Norris says:

Oh yes, the residual fandom of the cyberpunk RPGs of youth remains strong.

Ah, yes; to be am condemned to re-reading the Sprawl trilogy once a year and be really excited about Syndicate’s release next week. :(

• slight says:

It’s long past time I read them again actually.

I had Shadowrun but no-one to play it with :(

4. MuscleHorse says:

The Jagged Alliance that will soon be back in action is back in action though, shurely.

• Joshua Northey says:

Yeah Back in Action is out, and is quite fun even without the two or three patches it needs (which are supposed to be coming relatively soon).

5. Ett_1762 says:

SPOILER: It’s really bad.

• suveraan says:

Really, really bad game… Too bad they recently made two JA-games and managed to crap all over the legacy.

• Ett_1762 says:

“I think this game actually sullies the good name of crap”

Just goes to show that you don’t need the consoles to run a good brand right in the fucking ground.

• Sarlix says:

I can’t try the game right now because I’m on my Linux machine. But do you guys care to elaborate as to why it is so bad? Just saying it’s bad, really really bad doesn’t really tell us a lot.

• chromeshelter says:

“Too bad they recently made two JA-games and managed to crap all over the legacy.” This x1000

• Ett_1762 says:

I only played the first mission, but here it goes, from the top of my head:
      - your guy can’t rob on the ground, only crouches
      - enemies don’t notice you until you’re right next to them, shooting them in the head
      - no understandable formula fpr Action points
      - getting hit only influences your health bar, nothing else
      - experience points per enemy killed
      - cover system and LOS are very obscur
      - enemies are dumb as fuck, walking right in your line of fire, just waiting for your next turn
      - My first merc had 200 rounds for his shotgun in his inventory, taking up a single slot
      - there’s some sort of a weird, utterly generic “story”, centered around the phrase “this time it’s personal” (really)

I’m sure that there’s a lot more if you keep playing. Which i won’t.

• Sarlix says:

Oh, that does sound a bit bad. Maybe some of these thing will be ironed out during the beta period. Or maybe I’m just being optimistic?

Thanks for taking the time to elaborate.

Harlander says:

Awwww man!

I wanted this to be good so SRO would be good.

Damn you, everything!

• Ett_1762 says:

I know what you mean, mate. dissapointing. I might still give SRO a try though, since i adore the setting and currently lack a group for the RPG. To what depths will man go to get a shadowrun fix?

Harlander says:

I bet someone could be persuaded to run some VTT Shadowrun if probed enough on the forum.

But not me. Oh no. Never me. I wouldn’t do such a thing.

• wcanyon says:

Certainly superior to JA:BIA if you ask me. Neither one is that great but BIA was awful at least in the demo.

• Joshua Northey says:

BiA is just fine. It certainly stands up as a modern remake of JA2. It is not prefect but it is a lot of fun and it is playable. The demo had some problems they have since patched out, and it was a late game mission which I think was a bad idea. Its a lot more fun towards the start (as are most games).

6. Antsy says:

Just how Jagged is it?

I think I’ll wait until its Jaggedness can be properly quantified.

7. sibul says:

“Unfortunately the game Jagged Alliance Online is not available in your country.” in Estonia. I call shenanigans.

Jackablade says:

So how’s the combat work? I can’t imagine it’s actually possible to create a massively multiplayer turn-based strategy game.

• Eskatos says:

I haven’t done any multiplayer yet, but I believe in most cases it’s only 1v1. There might be a few situations where you get more but i haven’t seen any yet.

• wcanyon says:

Such an animal certainly exists and has for quite some time. I recall a game called Planets or Something Planets back in the 90s that had a play by email option. It can be done.

• rustybroomhandle says:

Cutesy French MMOs Wakfu and Dofus are exactly that.

9. Akike says:

Just having a breather break from my 1.13 custom made difficulty: Militia training half the “normal” speed and max 15 milita / sector. Some adjustments to AI forces. (Not unlimited) My 1st squad is in a constant hurry. No time for luxuries like proper repairs or surgery.

It would be the best thing ever to make the JA into a 1st person shooter. By marrying ARMA and JA. ARMA mod of JA 2 1.13? Anyone? Please?