The RPS Bargain Bucket: Carried Away

By RPS on February 18th, 2012 at 12:07 pm.

Apologies in advance, because Lewie’s left the SavyGamer.co.uk B Team, Will Templeton and Tony Heugh, in charge of the Bargain Bucket once more. We decided we’d do something different this week and find bargains on actual buckets, until we discovered that there’s currently no digital distribution network for them. So until someone develops that, we’re stuck with regular old videogames:

NeverWinter Nights Complete – £6.78/$10.73/€8.17
I’m someone whose DnD group is currently spread over four continents. I’m back here in Blighty, while our rogue’s in Brazil, the ranger’s in New Zealand, and our DM’s in Nigeria. We haven’t got the band back together in some time, and my elderly Dragonborn ice mage is starting to feel the thaw in her claws. Her frozen bones haven’t been exercised in more than a moon’s rise, and the mutterings, those dark thoughts that are both her own and from elsewhere, gnaw at the crinkled edges of her self.

Needless to say, I’m in need of a good roleplay break to wrangle some of these stories down, and Neverwinter seems like a perfect place to do it. GamersGate are currently offering 66% off every Neverwinter Nights bundle they offer – this one has both games and all expansions, but there’s also deals on bundles for just the first or the second.

Even as we approach the ten-year anniversary of the release of the first game, the community of people dedicated to building custom content is still strong, mirroring the DnD tradition of creating and running your own adventures. And every copy of NWN comes with content creation tools to build your own adventures if you choose.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution – £7.99/$12.65/€9.62 (registers on Steam)
Black and gold cyber-renaissance in a troubled future, centred around a broken man who lost everything and must fight to unravel the conspira… listen, I just really enjoy playing hide and seek. Admittedly, I’m a sore loser – a sore loser who has swords in his elbows and throws vending machines off buildings – but if you’re going to approach a man who wears sunglasses at night, you have to plan for the possibility of an elaborately violent demise. Famous comic book writer Kieron Gillen quite liked this one:

Frankly, I can’t believe the Eidos Montreal team pulled it off. It’s a game which focuses as carefully on what’s important to its design as Arkham Asylum did, and manages to make the most maximalist of games actually tight. It looked at Deus Ex under a microscope and worked out a way to square the circle by doing something that was simultaneously enormously faithful and necessarily modern. I’m not sure anything compares to it. Game of the year!

Horrible boss fights aside, you can play and replay this game pretty much however you decide, especially if you enjoy cyber-hiding, techno-violence and, er. Robo-tranquilising?

Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box – £5 in the Origin client Due to Origin’s tendency to region-lock their deals, this may not be available everywhere, but if you’re able, I cant recommend Paradise enough. A racer that never leaves you short of anything to do, serious enough to give you supreme control and a competitive spirit while keeping its tongue so firmly in its cheek it’s likely to bite it off when slamming into a wall it didn’t see coming. Burnout Paradise is the game I’ve sunk more time in than any other, and the one I go back to when I’m looking for something that’ll guarantee a fun time. Get this game. But from the client, not the site, or you’ll be charged extra.

Age of Wonders series – £8.20/$12.97/€9.87
I like a good turn-based strategy game, doubly so in the fantasy flavour, so I’m not sure how these passed me by. Thanks to GoG, I’ve remedied that situation and can confirm after a few hours’ play that they are good and old and games, but also that they still look pretty and seem rather deep.

When Kieron interviewed him, design director Lennart Sas recommended new players try Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic, “as the gameplay systems, multiplayer options, balance, and AI had all reached their peak.”

He also said that, given the opportunity, he would have liked to make another with a focus on online play, so maybe if we all buy the bundle, we can tinkerbell that dream into existence and be a lot less productive at work.

Alan Wake – £22.99/$29.99/€27.99
I spent hours in a confused scramble, making my way through fug in low light, desperately searching for coffee flasks and scraps of paper while trying to write something – anything – meaningful. No different to any other time when Lewie needs a sub for the Bucket, to be honest, but the thing here is that I did this in the game, too. There is a weird charm to its specific brand of nonsense, even embedded deep within some repetitive mechanics – I would say it’s worth a furtive look, even if it wasn’t worth the wait. Alec thought something similar:

“It is on to something, it really is. It also doesn’t seem to entirely grasp just what that something is, and instead repeatedly drops its clearly lovingly-made ball before it can stride into the sinister greatness it shoots for.”

As good as Steam sales can be, new releases are rarely cheaper when incorporeal than on slices of plastic, so this is a pleasant surprise. Not only does it come with 74% more pretty than the previous tellybox releases, it also comes with the benefit of the extra chapters that our console chums had to pay pretend money-points for. Additionally, if you purchase before February 23rd you get the collector’s edition with video commentaries, the soundtrack and a collectable PDF. And if you want the authentic couch experience you can always plug a controller in and scooch your chair back, I suppose.

Also of note:
Saints Row The Third is £11.99 with the code ‘pcgamer20′. This discount makes a return from its appearance last month and is no less of a deal for it. Registers on Steam.

Double Fine’s Kickstarter is still running, and depending on when you’re reading this will be just about to hit, or will just have hit, two million dollars (which is a lot). Anyone who pledges at least $15 (which isn’t a lot) will get a DRM-free copy of the game that’ll run on Windows, Mac OS or Linux.

GoG are having a sale thoughout February that’ll give 10% off any two
games when bought together. Note that this doesn’t stack with other deals, so if you try to use it with the Age of Wonders one posted above the result might not be what you want.

Modern Warfare 3 is currently having a free weekend on Steam, and is £26.79 for the duration.

The Be Mine bundle is back up after the sheer force of the web taking the site down. It’s pay-what-you-want and it’s got The Ball, Beep, Wasteland Angel, Sideway: New York and Xotic, as well as a bunch of DLC and extras – including another game.

Don’t forget – SavyGamer.co.uk maintains a constantly-updating list of game deals, and should be your first port of call for any news about our virtual bucket distribution system.

1. Premium User Badge Fede says:

The Be Mine bundle is still down here :(

• Will Templeton says:

Try doing a cache refresh on the website by hitting Ctrl+F5.

• Premium User Badge Fede says:

Thanks. Finally it worked :)

• Randomer says:

I’m surprised RPS didn’t post about this bundle before. Perhaps because it’s mostly been down? Looks like there are some pretty sweet games in there (Sideways, The Ball).

• mwoody says:

There’s something very messed up with their DNS resolution. Still inaccessible for me, and nslookup keeps throwing back different answers each time I query it. ‘Can’t seem to contact their authoritative nameservers, either.

• hosndosn says:

Down again? Just refreshed a dozen times. I guess someone *severely* underestimated how much traffic such a bundle can get…

• arccos says:

The site itself seems to be broken in some parts, too. I haven’t received my order confirmation (which has the actual game keys), the download page for the bundle is a real mess (only one game key listed and Sideways New York downloads a zipped readme), and the account settings page seems to be broken.

Even sending a support ticket hasn’t generated an email back to me, so its possible the email server is overloaded at this point, too.

• Tony Heugh says:

I remember seeing on the site that they don’t email you keys, so you need to login to your profile to get them. Obviously, you can’t do that if the site’s down.

2. Navagon says:

Well I finally grabbed the Be Mine bundle.

3. Xanadu says:

That is a fantastic deal for NWN. Recommendation for anyone coming to it fresh, avoid the main campaign of NWN1. HotU and MotB are the stand out stories, but with the gems available at nwvault, there’s enough gaming here to keep you busy for at least a year (kept me busy for at least 3) at 50p a month that’s a steal.

• Premium User Badge Andy_Panthro says:

There are loads of better modules, but I quite like the main campaign in NWN (I found it much better than the main NWN2 campaign, for example). But then I prefer Storm of Zehir to Mask of the Betrayer, so I’m probably just weird.

I’d highly recommend checking out NWNVault though, there are some amazing modules there.

• InternetBatman says:

I’d just like to recommend Dark Waters to anyone looking for NWN2 modules. It’s awesome and you can tell the maker had a blast creating it. Also includes a trading card game inside, a bookworm level, and a guitar hero style level.

• Zenicetus says:

The original campaign for NWN is almost worth slogging through, just for the Charwood Village portion. It was done by a different writer than the rest of the campaign IIRC, and a good preview of what could be done in the game engine with some good writing behind it. The campaign might also be useful for someone who isn’t familiar with the D&D system. You’d be more up to speed for the official expansions and user-made modules. Otherwise yeah, it’s not that great.

One of the best things about NWN, aside from the terrific (and free) user-made modules, is that it can be played in co-op multiplayer. My wife and I played through the original campaign, all the expansions, and several of the user modules together. It was a blast.

I tried to like NWN2, but it just didn’t click with me. Part of it was the wonky camera. I kept fighting to get the view angle I wanted. Ranged attacks couldn’t take place far enough away to be useful. There were just a bunch of things that kept pissing me off about the game engine, even though overall it did look more polished than NWN2. I didn’t stick with it long enough to try any of the user-made modules.

• malkav11 says:

NWN’s main campaign is a tedious slog through the worst aspects of Bioware’s writing and game design (what’s that, four independently located McGuffins I have to retrieve? For the fourth time this campaign? You don’t say!), and not terribly balanced or fun for a single D&D character either (though, to be fair, D&D itself isn’t balanced for a single character and this is a persistent issue with virtually all NWN content. just not to the same degree as in the main campaign). Shadows of Undrentide also starts from level 1, is far better, and appears to be the assumed starting point for the excellent Hordes of the Underdark campaign, though that campaign does have a few story ties to the original campaign as well. There’s really no reason to play the original campaign at this point, given the countless hours of superior gameplay found in the expansions and fan modules.

• xelgaex says:

Any info on the “other DRM” listed on that page? Is it just a CD-key or something else?

• malkav11 says:

Neverwinter Nights and Neverwinter Nights 2 both had the DRM patched out towards the end of their patch lifecycle. I’m not sure what that might be referring to, unless the collection includes NWN2′s sole premium module, Mysteries of Westgate, which uses SecuROM.

• jaronimoe says:

I bought the package and I guess the DRM are the CD keys that you have to enter before installing.

4. Premium User Badge Anthile says:

So yeah, AoW: Shadow Magic renders the two other games obsolete in terms of skirmish and custom maps. Also, dire penguins.

5. Tony M says:

What is the point of region locking deals for older games? I’m not going to pay $30 for Burnout now. They surely can’t be making much money from that game anymore _except_ during sales. Why not just make the sale global and take my money?

• trjp says:

The sale is a Carnival event – and Carnival is mostly celebrated in Europe (we don’t bother much in the UK but when I worked in Holland they went mental for it and spent 3-4 days drinking solidly and I mean SOLIDLY, the bars never closed!!)

Carnival – “the big piss-up before Lent” – basically – ideal oppo to sell off driving games eh? :)

• MCM says:

I wouldn’t say “Carnival is mostly celebrated in Europe” at all – the more accurate statement is “Carnival is not celebrated much in most of the UK and US, with the exception of the American gulf coast.” In much of South America, Carnival is a big deal. Even in America, most Americans are aware of Mardi Gras even if they don’t celebrate it.

• trjp says:

I was aware that Mardi Gras was much the same thing but it’s Mardi Gras – not Carnival :)

When I say ‘US’ I mean ‘North America’ of course – and unless you’re goin down to New Orleans…

I’m not sure the Bargain Bucket will be able to withstand this – but…

I WANNA SEE THE VOODOO QUEEN!! :)

• ScottTFrazer says:

Carnival is pretty big in the Caribbean Islands as well.

6. WoundedBum says:

Did Origin do a free giveaway that I missed or something? Because I have Dead Space 2 in my account and I’ve not bought it.

• deadly.by.design says:

Did you pre-order BF3 before the end of August? I seem to recall them doing a promo where DS3 was one of the free game options with an early purchase.

7. Premium User Badge Colonel J says:

Rise of Flight Iron Cross Edition is down to $9.99 from Amazon US:

For non-US you either need the fake US address trick at check-out (I’ve not done but I hear it works) or you can buy from http://www.fspilotshop.com/product_info.php?products_id=2740 for the same price.

I’ve only played the demo so far, which as I understand it is exactly the same as the paid game but with just one starter aircraft. The ICE package gives you 8 DLC aircraft which, believe me, you are going to want to grab at that price if you enjoy the game at all and want to get into the campaign, individually that lot is $50 odd. It’s a steep learning curve but a very rewarding of your time, the flight physics model in this game is truly a thing of beauty.

From the mail-out from the devs:
    “The sale runs all week from Feb. 14th to Feb. 20th. We reluctantly agreed to this sale so let’s see if we can at least hit #1 on their chart for digital PC games….We don’t know when or if this price will ever happen again.”
    I guess it might be on sale for longer at FSPilotshop at it only went on at that price last night.

(edit: embed link fail…)

8. alundra says:

Amazon has a “games to play with friends you love” sale, including COD MW2 75%off for $5usd, Dungeon Defenders 80%off for $2.99usd and Borderlands GOTY 77%off for 6.99.

• Aardvarkk says:

I see Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box is on there for $5, for the United States region anyway.

• alundra says:

I have not tried it myself but some say all you need is a US address and you’re set.

9. Buttless Boy says:

Last time GAME had a sale on Deus Ex, a bunch of us never received our game. Fair warning.

10. shaydeeadi says:

BF2 is £5 on Origin this weekend too.

11. djbriandamage says:

Am I misunderstanding or is Lewie not doing this column anymore? Thanks for all your fun articles, Lewie! I looked forward to them every Saturday!

• Will Templeton says:

Ah, sorry if this wasn’t clear – I meant ‘left us in charge’, not ‘left us completely’. Tony and I sub in for Lewie on weeks he’s unable to do the Bucket. He’ll be back next week as usual.

• djbriandamage says:

Ah okay, glad to hear he didn’t -ahem- kick the bucket. Thanks for taking over this week for him.

If only that Saint’s Row sale was available in Canada!

12. googoogjoob says:

be mine bundle is still down for me, no matter how many times i clear cache or try to load it in a different browser or anything- i still cannot connect to it

help

13. Suits says:

Can I buy a code for DXHR from Game while living in Europe (Netherlands)? Or is it purely brick and mortar retail box that need shipping fees?

14. TNG says:

Apparently Alan Wake goes for €20.99 on Euro Tier 2 countries (Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Malta, Monaco, Montenegro, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain and the Vatican City) which seems to be the best deal.

• Premium User Badge Stellar Duck says:

Are you telling me that the Pope can get cheap games for living in a Tier 2 country while I have to pay more than retail in Denmark?

And Norway as well? No more pity for the expensive beer up there.

15. Solid Snake on a Plane says:

Space Marine is for the cheaps again on gamefly. ($14.99)

In addition there’s Alice: Madness returns ($14.99), Battlefield 3 ($44.99), Darkspore ($5.99), and the Medal of Honour reboot ($9.99).

Alice: http://www.gamefly.com/Download-Alice-Madness-Returns/5000315/?cid=gdn021712
    BF3: http://www.gamefly.com/Download-Battlefield-3/157840/?cid=gdn021712
    Darkspore: http://www.gamefly.com/Download-Darkspore/5000321/?cid=gdn021712
    Medal of Hono(u)r: http://www.gamefly.com/Download-Medal-of-Honor/150240/?cid=gdn021712

Of course I’ve never used them before so I don’t know if they have a client saddled with DRM or they just send you keys.

As far as the games, I can say I’d recommend SPESS MEHREEN for some whole-hearted, family-friendly, bloody violence whether you want to eviscerate things in the name of the Emperor or you simply want a button-mashing beat-em-up game with a proper PC port. Battlefield 3′s probably been the best modern manshoot in recent times, but it’s still just a modern manshoot, even with all the pretties. And C4.

16. trjp says:

Origin are brilliant at running offers which are available only to limited regions AND which are not advertised in ANY way.

For example, right now they’re offering Shift2: Unleashed and it’s DLC for £5 – at least I’m seeing that (in the UK, NOT logged-in) and that’s terrific offer (the DLC is, AFAIK, unavailable in any other way – you have to buy the game and it from Origin to get it).

Great game but it doesn’t even feature in their ‘Offers’ list – it’s like they did it by accident!?!?

17. Premium User Badge Rikard Peterson says:

If you’re in Sweden, this is a pretty good deal: http://www.clasohlson.se/Product/Product.aspx?id=164634714

18. Rhooke says:

Regarding Age of Wonders (Shadow Magic in particular, but any of them, really): I was wondering if anyone knew of any way to modify the default font, or if such a thing is even possible. The rampant, horrible overuse of the font papyrus makes my eyes bleed.

19. Premium User Badge Horza says:

Saint’s Row 3 deal seems to be UK only.

• djbriandamage says:

That’s a huge shame – I convinced my wife to let me buy us a couple of copies so that we could play together. Guess I gotta wait for the equivalent price to come to Canada, unless anyone can advise me whether I can use a proxy or something to make this work.

20. Tony Heugh says:

I must say, the windowed mode on Age of Wonders Shadow Magic is a bit good, I can drag it about and resize it and it doesn’t mind one bit.

21. partialcharge says:

I live in the US. Can I get that Deus Ex deal from Game? For some reason I’m nervous about what will happen if I put my credit card number in on a website that lists its prices in pounds. I don’t want to make anything on the internet melt! I don’t want the internet police to come and take me away!! (I’m still in my shorts after all.)

• partialcharge says:

Excuse me, from GAME. Want to lend it the proper weight. Maybe it should have an exclamation mark or two? GAME!! Hmmm.

• vivlo says:

what then ? explain me please. i’m also getting more nervous.

• disposablethumbs says:

I’m an ass (and have been looking for a cheapo DE:HR lately), so I decided to take a chance and try my luck. Almost two days later, and nada. Their site said it may take up to 24 hours to send the download code, but that obviously isn’t the case here. Now, maybe I’m spoiled with Steam and getting stuff I paid for instantly, buuuut…

I’m in the US as well, but I’m not sure why that should be an issue (unless my American funnymoney debit card is slowing the process somehow, but I’ve never had trouble with international purchases before). Have emailed them via the website and bugged them via Twitter with no response yet. Not panicking yet, but definitely getting a little irritated.

Bah.

22. Hardtarget says:

It’s gross that even when lewie is gone you guys still won’t post deals from GMG
    currently you can get Alan Wake, which is steamworks, for 33% off with code HALFT-ERMHO-RRORS which makes it 20 bucks

instead you posted the regular price by linking to steam? that’s not exactly a hot deal since it’s not on sale there….

• wu wei says:

Maybe it’s not available to the UK, because I sure as hell can’t see Alan Wake _anywhere_ on GMG, sale price or not.

• malkav11 says:

The deal described above was available briefly on…Thursday? Something like that. And then it went away mysteriously. There’s now a 33% off Half Term of Horrors sale on some other, non-Alan Wake games, which suggests Alan Wake was not actually meant to be part of things.

• Hardtarget says:

nope, it was meant to be part of the sale, GMG heavily heavily advertised it for 24 hours before the sale happened

what has happened since then I have no idea as it was till working when i last checked but alan wake is definitely not there anymore

23. Jupiah says:

Is it just me, or are the bonus dlc for Xotic in the Be Mine Indie Game Bundle only for Mac?

24. porschecm2 says:

The words “Collectible PDF” just make me want to cry and go live on some other planet.

• Tony Heugh says:

The idea of digital ‘collector’s edition’ always seemed an odd one to me.

25. InternetBatman says:

The Be Mine bundle hit just the right balance for me. Several of the games look cool in their own right, but I probably wouldn’t have gotten them by themselves. I don’t own any of them. Shame their website has major problems, but since everything is handled through Amazon payments and Steam (if you choose) I’m not too worried.