Epic Flail: 2QWOP Adds Multiplayer To QWOP

By Craig Pearson on February 20th, 2012 at 11:41 am.

All QWOPPED out
I remember where I was when I first heard about QWOP, because I was in the offices of a certain other PC gaming publication, working for The Man. Now I work for A Man, that man being me. Stop looking at me like that! I am so. Anyway, QWOP popped up on someone’s screen and we all gathered around watching as something as simple as “run 100 metres” had been made needlessly complex. It gives direct control over the leg muscle groups of a sprinter: it’s like watching a drunken Riverdance on a sinking ship. We all returned to our keyboards and attempted to jerk our way to the gold medal, sadly aware that hilarious, flaily defeat would be a solo experience. Years later that particular sadness has been rectified in 2QWOP: in typically awkward, QWOPPY fashion it forces both players to use the same keyboard.

The new QWOP isn’t without fault, but then developer and academic Dr. Bennett Foddy wouldn’t have it any other way: the keys used are QWER UIOP, so both people are pressing on the same line of keys on a keyboard. It’s kind of cramped and, as he points out, it takes a gaming keyboard to register that many keystrokes. Or you could plug in a second USB keyboard, if you have one. But it’s the same, wonderful QWOP. I hope it inspires more cosplay.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. skalpadda says:

Does it have a QWOP mode?

• Setroc says:

It looks like puns in the comments section are becoming a running joke.

• Quasar says:

I always sprint to get one in while the getting’s good.

• Vurogj says:

I doubt there will be many puns in this thread. Sorry to dash everyone’s hopes.

• JuJuCam says:

It’s a hurdle we must all face.

• Vagrant says:

QWOP mode is the pun of the week, and it’s only Monday! That really gave me a dash of laughter.

• maninahat says:

I think someone should step in and put an end to these puns, or at least charge people for them.

2. Serge says:

One does not simply QWOPs into Mordor…

• luckystriker says:

But I would QWOP 500 miles,
      And I would QWOP 500 more,
      Just to be the man who QWOPed 1000 miles,
      To fall down at your door.

3. Kdansky says:

Psh, that’s what you get for using cheap USB keyboards. Bought myself a mechanical PS2 clicketything of awesomenes (DAS Keyboard) and I’ll never go back!

This also means that nobody else wants to use my machine, because apparently, my keys are missing labels?

• Quasar says:

I always wanted to buy a blank keyboard, but I know I’d live in fear of the day when I needed to find the one key that for some reason I cannot remember the location of.

• Apples says:

My keyboard is black-on-black which means you can’t see the keys unless you physically move your head or the keyboard to the right angle. It gives me no end of trouble when I’m trying to type in long strings of numbers (which I never really learned to touch-type properly) but it’s a brilliant defence against any likely-to-open-email-viruses scrubs attempting to use my expensive gaming PC. The shrieks of rage as they get their password wrong for the fiftieth time never gets old…

I wanted to get a das keyboard but it sounded a little too loud and clacky for me (also expensive), plus I prefer flat laptop-style keys.

• Kdansky says:

The silent version is acceptably silenty. Not really silent, but good enough. Mechanical keys with very soft (but precise) pushback on the other hand, are just a bliss to type on. I have a lot less wrist and finger pains now. Price? Yes, it’s really expensive. But I do spend my whole day in front of this keyboard, so I might as well splurge on it. And I don’t think I’ll have to buy a new one soon either, this thing is rock solid (and it comes with 10 years of warranty).

PS2 / n-key-rollover support also make fighting games and Super Meat Boy MUCH better. I can safely say it’s superior to any pad, if you want precise digital input, and do not need analog control.

4. Magrippinho says:

It gives direct control over the leg muscle groups of a sprinter.

This makes it sound like it’s based on science, instead of dadaist art.

5. MuscleHorse says:

‘QWER’.
    Snicker.

6. Makariel says:

I just played through QWOP and ‘ran’ a total of 100.2 meters. I am a national hero now. But it should be called QW since those were the only keys I used.

7. wererogue says:

This sounds much less fun than the original QWOP’s multiplayer, in which I played as QW and my mate played as OP.