Jurassic Jetpacks – ORION: Dino Beatdown

By Adam Smith on February 20th, 2012 at 4:16 pm.

I’m in two minds about this multiplayer shooter from the ORION: Prelude team that somehow isn’t ORION: Prelude. Is ORION: Dino Beatdown a brilliant name for a game, or is it a horrible name for anything? One thing I do know, despite the laudable presence of dinosaurs and jetpacks, I’d be a lot happier if the dinosaurs were actually using the jetpacks. As it is, this is a game of cooperative shooting in which teams of men must survive in massive environments populated by hordes of hungry monster-lizards. And despite my quibbling, it looks pretty damn good.

Teams of five go up against the raging and supposedly highly intelligent chomposaurs, with different classes to choose from and upgrades to earn. We’re talking hover-bike, jetpack and mech versus t-Rex, raptor and rham-phorynchus. I just had to Google that last one and let me just say that if it is capable of plucking people off the ground and dropping them from a great height, ORION: Dino Beatdown may be the greatest dinosaur game ever.

There will be a single player mode for the lone hunter and as soon as I type the word ‘hunter’ I’m reminded of Carnivores, a series of games which I seem to remember debuting around the same time hunting simulations were first a thing I was aware of. The trick with Carnivores was that instead of hunting deer you were hunting dinosaurs and it rapidly became a horror game of sorts, as sneaking up one of the bastard things would often result in two wild shots of the rifle and then a mad sprint back through the trees as hunted became hunter in the most abrupt and least metaphorical fashion.

That was always fun and ORION: Dino Beatdown looks fun as well. It’s coming to Steam and OnLive for $9.99 and, topically, began as a Kickstarter project. Anyone who donated to the original Kickstarter will be receiving the game as soon as it’s released. Presumably the Kickstarter was helped by the fact that the project involves folk who have worked on the following list of titles: BioShock, Ghost Recon, Unreal Tournament, Forza Motorsport, Jade Empire, Halo, Borderlands and Mortal Kombat. I expect the final version to involve a plot twist, Tom Clancy, m-m-m-m-monster kills, vaguely realistic racing, a bold but rare attempt at an original setting, green helmets, a complete graphical overhaul and babalities.

I may also be the only person to remember Flesh, a story that ran in the earliest issues of 2000 AD and is occasionally resurrected. I used to have a cut out and keep card game based on the strip that came in an issue of the comic and was a bit like Top Trumps. Dino Beatdown reminds me of that but with better graphics.

, , , , , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Bobtree says:

The dinosaurs don’t get jetpacks too? It hardly seems fair.

2. Kdansky says:

Surely all games are better if you can stare at gun-buts.

3. Drinking with Skeletons says:

I greatly enjoyed the first two Carnivore games at the time. Simple though they were, they were incredibly tense and surprisingly rewarding (since the game let you keep your best kills as trophies). I’ll never forget how horrifying hunting a tyrannosaur was, since they were extremely alert and had this nasty tendency to wander off only to loop around and come at you–almost silently–from behind.

I’d love to see a reboot of the franchise.

• The Godzilla Hunter says:

Oh man, I remember playing that game when I was really little. It was one of the most terrifying experiences ever. The fact that you would be walking and then BAM! something jumps out at you and kills you. Or the dinosaurs would let out their bloodcurdling scream…/shudder.

• abigbat says:

Yeah they were great, I remember seeing a trex for the first time and trying to figure out if I could actually hurt it. Brilliant.

4. whexican says:

Oh man, I hope there is some Dr. McNinja DLC.

5. mckertis says:

Jetpacks look pretty crappy. It basically amounts to standing pose with exhaust fx. Come on people, in games of late 90’s, like Unreal, you had swimming with your model assuming horizontal position !

6. wazups2x says:

That’s one boring HUD.

7. Nytoc says:

That remind me of Turok, now i want to play Turok :(.

8. Vandalbarg says:

Isn’t Flesh the one where humans ruined the present so we time travel to make dinoburgers to make it all better?

2000ad isjust the best

Napalm Sushi says:

Flesh: what Terra Nova should have been.

• Grubblik says:

If I remember correctly Flesh was about using time-travel to go back to the dino age to get meat for a bulging future population. In any case we need an Old One-eye skin for this :)

9. Gunrun says:

This’d be the game that’s been in development for ages and has previously had videos with tons of plagerised assets in it. It’s not going to come out. The developers are hacks and the whole thing is pretty much a kickstarter scam now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-yY4XDWT18 for a bit of proof.

• Slinky MCPunchfist says:

“Hurrr DURR.”

I like how the mod db entry posted before the video specifically stats their using resources from other games as fillers until they make their own. it’s also funny that your calling them out on that when orion source was pretty much halo reach 2 years before halo reach existed…

• Resonance says:

Using other peoples assets in your promotional material isn’t alright just because you stated your intentions beforehand…

“orion source was pretty much halo reach 2 years before halo reach existed…”

Don’t exaggerate, it was a mediocre Source mod whose only likeliness to Halo came from the stolen Armour designs and the fact it was an FPS…

10. Gunrun says:

This thread (Start at the end and work backwards) is basically a big catalogue of all the spectacular arseholery stemming from the lead developer of the project.

• Bork Titflopsen says:

Man, even though I have no interest in the game that thread is full of win and malicious delight.

I almost feel bad for him getting confronted with his own stupidity time after time, but apperently things are working out for him so I’ll just keep luaghing at the trainwreck that is Orion for now.

• Chibithor says:

Wow, that thread is hilarious, I don’t know why he kept posting there for as long as he did. Now I’m really curious as to how this project will end up working out, I’m hoping for something like EYE.

11. Resonance says:

Looks utterly generic…

12. clippa says:

but … but I can shoot dinosaurs in the face :( Burn the naysayers! 10 moon bucks, I likes it, I’m getting it.

13. BigMistake says:

Love the fact that the dinosaur tag ends with an exclamation mark xD

14. DOLBYdigital says:

Hmm… slightly confused… I’ve been looking forward to Orion: Prelude for awhile especially after playing the really good mod that the game is based off of. So I guess they just stopped working on that game so they could release this quick cash-in and then continue working on prelude?

I guess it makes sense if they need some more cash flow however this game just doesn’t look that good…

(wow someone mentioned Turok… god those games were amazing back in the day!)

15. The Infamous Woodchuck says: