Scrabble’s Favourite Shooter: Nexuiz

By Adam Smith on February 20th, 2012 at 9:20 am.

Brightly coloured death beams and people who inexplicably hop everywhere they go - I remember such places.

What better way to start a Monday than with a new trailer for the “reimagining” of Nexuiz, an arena-based shooter that aims to resurrect warm memories of killing friends in improbable environments? Maybe a preferably beginning would be a stroll through Montmartre, ending with a fresh coffee by the Seine as conversations erudite and elegant intermingle with the aroma of freshly baked bread? Unfortunately, that’s not going to be happening, so instead let’s all feast our faces on a short video that demonstrates some of the many mutators on offer in IllFonic’s ill-titled slice of deathmatchery.

None of the mutators on display look hugely imaginative but it’s probably achieved its goal in that I’m becoming all misty-eyed as I remember the glory days of playing Unreal Tournament until the early hours of the morning, a series of memories that shock me into the realisation that it has been quite some time since I last enjoyed – really enjoyed – a competitive multiplayer shooter.

It does look a bit too shiny though, doesn’t it?

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. terry says:

Unreal Tournament still _is_ great. If you play with people who haven’t been playing it for the last 12 years :P

2. iARDAs says:

I think this game will either be good or bad. Perhaps average.

I am willing to spend 15 US dollars in paypal form, to steam in order to acquire this game and enjoy it with friends.

I enjoyed the 1st Section 8, i always enjoyed Unreal series, and a shooter like that wont hurt.

It does look a bit too shiny yes, but tell me who doesnt like shinny?

Sun is shiny
    Gold is shiny
    A vey expensive necklace between a busty girl’s bossoms are also shiny.

So shiny is good.

• Ultra Superior says:

Good, bad or average? You don’t leave much room for a surprise!

Though I can see right away this game has no soul.

3. Valvarexart says:

Do want

4. Kdansky says:

Also, non-props for simply smacking a 力 (“Strength”) in front of their title for no reason.

• Serge says:

But it looks kewl… :(

• Panic says:

It’s the logo of the original game. It’s got a reason to be there, don’t hate on the logo man!

5. CMaster says:

A morning stroll through Montmatre would probably lead to being hastled by dozens of people selling bracelets, plastic eiffel towers and similar, sadly. It’s also a rather long way from the Seine. Much better to start somewhere in the 5th I feel.

This does look like pretty much a straight up attempt to recreate UT. I guess it’s actually quite hard to dissaprove of that, really.

6. madjar says:

Just a reminder that Nexuiz used to be a community-developed open-source game, until the owner of the trademark sold it.

The original developers continued to develop the game under the name Xonotic. It may not have the shiny graphics from Nexuiz, but I can promise you it’s quite fun, and much more free. Take a look at http://www.xonotic.org/ .

• jezcentral says:

And it’s almost, but not quite, as scrabble friendly…

7. Panic says:

Suffers from the same problems I had with Crysis 2 by the looks of it, Post-Processed to the max, and the weapon models are huge.

But, it could be interesting, the original was great.

8. killmachine says:

how do you achieve a fast paced shooter like this on a console? proper auto aim.

9. mouton says:

“it has been quite some time since I last enjoyed – really enjoyed – a competitive multiplayer shooter.”

It saddens me that you hate Tribes: Ascend.

• Adam Smith says:

I haven’t played it yet!

• ShrikeMalakim says:

I really *want* to play Tribes: Ascend, but I’ve migrated away from ever knowing my passwords other than my primary that I only use to access KeePass. I’ve had a Tribes: Ascend beta key for ages, but have never yet logged in due to their repeated failure to allow Paste to work on their login password field.

10. Gnoupi says:

Talking about competitive FPS, I can’t wait for Shootmania, after reading the latest article about it in CanardPC (French magazine).

A game based entirely on the good old arena shooters, refining them in their most pure element:
    - A lot about movement, taking some elements from Q3, or skiing.

Add to this the dream of any Q2/Q3 mapper from 10 years ago: an easy to use editor, in the style of TrackMania’s one, to design new maps and share them easily. (There were actually two pages describing the editor, but I forgot most of it. There were things about scripts, though, have to check that more).

• bear912 says:

Take note, world! Movement is important in arena-style shooters. It’s almost every bit as important as the shooting, really. Movement is why Warsow is a beautiful game. Movement needs to be fast and have a high skill ceiling.

• The_invalid says:

“– One weapon only, no switching. It’s an equivalent to the rocket launcher, so no hitscan, all in the game of planning where the other will be.
      – There are actually more weapons, but they are based on your place: stand on this platform, and your rocket launcher becomes a railgun while you’re there. Stand on this defensive post in your base, and it becomes an artillery/heavy fire.”

I’m not sure if I like the sound of that :(

11. DaBuddaDa says:

I was under the impression this was going to be console only, no?

12. porps says:

its been out for ages on pc so i doubt it’s going to be console only… It’s actually a decent game (not quite up to quake3 or unreal tourney standards but good nonetheless). I particuarly like the emphasis on skilled movement which we dont really see much of anymore since most FPS games these days are designed for consoles (and hence joypads -*scoff*) with a “lets do another call of modern battlefield clone” mentality.
    I played a Nexius a few years ago and the netcode put me off, but i’m reliably informed that it is much improved these days.